1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

>3 Quarry start + Mausoleum of Hallircarnassus

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by snarzberry, Oct 18, 2011.

1. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

In my search to break the grind of repetitive games I gave some thought to opening with this wonder on a start with 1 marble and at least 2 stone resources. It adds 2:c5gold: to the quarry tiles and gives you 100:c5gold: every time you burn a GP. Works out to be a lot of gold over the course of the game and comes as total extras as you'd be working the quarry tiles all game anyway.

I guess it's worth something like 4000 - 5000:c5gold: over the course of 300 turns, about the limit for most games. Check my rough estimate if you think that's out.

You can take liberty to enable a bit of expansion while you build it, sets you up for a powerful early economy and long lasting benefits for an economy focused civ.

I've only run this one time for an easy immortal win, haven't tried to use it on deity but I suspect it's inferior to the other standard type openings. I did enjoy the one game I used this opening if only for the novelty.

Try it out for something different/discuss.

2. trueblue

trueblue Prince

aye, and you have a decent chance of getting it. the extra wonders pack helps with that. kind of helps with all the early wonders. chuck in the callander building and its a good start.

but then its just the usual grind of the science race and the wall of units, in diety.

3. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Yeah I built it in my last game. It was OCC. I had a couple stone and a marble I think. The 100g comes in handy for picking up more CS. Its a nice wonder.

4. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I'm a fan. Especially for OCC...in that case it's the perfect wonder. I'm also a fan of rush-buying the stoneworks in that instance.

I recall one of the experts (Maddjinn?) writing somewhere that on deity you should only go for it with 4 or more stone/marble. I don't really play much deity, but I build it with 3 on immortal and it seems to pay off.

5. qalsip1977

qalsip1977 Wonder Lust

I had an OCC cultural deity game I won with Korea where I built MoH and it is an incredible boon to your economy as Korea (since the ToA/HG/Tradition strat gives you uber population with LOTS of GP)! I got EXTREMELY lucky in this game. I was able to build ToA, MoH, AND GL early on. And this was with Egypt in the game. I am guessing the only way I was able to do it was building the same wonder at the same time as Rammy and just beating him to the punch each time.

Anyway the 100g per expended GP really keeps your gold rolling for signing RAs.

Good times!

6. Cheeseisgood

Cheeseisgood Warlord

I've stopped building it recently as the games I've been playing have required me to go for other early wonders, and you don't often get to build too many before the AI snags them. But when I first got the pack, this was in every game I played! You're likely to get 700+ gold simply naturally from Great people which is a great bonus, plus the extra cash from stone. I really approve.

7. Noatz

Noatz Warlord

Its probably even better with Babylon. I don't really consider it unless I have 3 stone/marble however. Maybe two, depending on how the game is going, but not on Deity.

8. Vo01985

Vo01985 Warlord

I've tried this on Deity, perhaps a few times, and I found it sub-optimal at best. On lower levels it can work very well and can give a great boost to the early game economy. But still not as good as other cookie cutter strategies.

9. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I liked it even more when my second city had 3 grassland stone resources, so I could build it there while my capital built other wonders (ToA, HG, GL, Oracle, Hagia Sophia etc) :)

I had to make enough early cash to rush buy a stoneworks in two cities though.

I was focusing my capital on triple popping a GA / GS and GE, which after 5 lots of GP pops made me 1500 Gold from those alone, plus the liberty finisher, Hagia Sophia, PT and Louvre GPs too, and the +6 gold produced from the stone tiles over the rest of the game.

10. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

Also built it in my OCC, was pretty good.