3 Questions from a n00b

Legator

Chieftain
1. can barbarians still occupy cities (like in civ1) or do they just steal money or destroy some things.

2. Granary

how important do you value the granary ? when it should be build etc.....

3. start of the game

When i start a game i go for expansion at first, in first city i build a spearman at first (im playing germany - they have bronze-working). after that one is done im going for 1 or 2 settlers in the capital and im doing a 2. spearman there. mostly than i start preparing for great library (getting with some luck some science like masonry from somewhere to start great wall and later switch for the library).

the 2. and 3rd cities will be the "settler"-manufactors and so on.

my way through tech is at first literacy and then i head for republic and after that currency - to build marketplaces to support the republic.

is that a good or bad way - i read through some posts that other go also for monarchy at first etc. i for myself head directly from despotism to republic. and there i start building my first buildings (maybe earlier a temple in the capital which mostly grew to a good size).

after that i go for sistine chappel and j.s.bach cathedral and than democracy.

i dont use any other form of government than them. (just because i get most use out of shields, food, money and science out of them)

Can anyone gimme some advice if im doing right or not ? (or maybe destry my cemeted view of life)

thx

(sorry for my bad english but atleast im trying :p )

Strange way of doing it!!Good idea to build spearman but a better idea for settlers is to build one from capital then send him out and build new city then build pyramids in old city !!! Once you have pyramids you wont have to build graineries!! This saves much time in the long run!!!While pyramids are being built have other cities make one settle each!ie build settler, build new city,new city builds spearman then new city builds settler!! I find that you end up with alot more cities very quickly that way!Then when pyramids are built cities grow very quickly and you end up with a large population very quickly!! Then build temples and change to monarcy as soon as possible!! With a large stable population you should be able to conquer smaller neighbours with great ease!!!Take their techs off them by force and trade them wherever you can for more techs!!Build hanging gardens and then go republic!!! Use the financial clout to buy what you need!!!Workers are invaluble as later in the game they can be turned into radar sites and airfields!!! Raiding enemy cities is a good tatic! Once conquered sell off all the assests in the city :ie marketplaces libaries etc and then give cities back in peace treaty that way you dont loose any money!!Then when they build them up raid them again!!! Lots of money to be made!!!

1.No - they steal/destroy then disappear

2.Grannaries are vital in cities producing settlers (settler factory as outlined in the war academy) - in other cities I put them way way down the list of priorities.

3.I would start with a warrior - quicker and cheaper, then often another warrior - to go exploring then settler. Either the capital or the second city is likely to be the settler factory (depending on terrin so a grannary is a must then).

Wonders I never bother with unless I've got a fantastic shield production city (but that maybe used for millitary units) or a great leader to rush a wonder. As for techs - early priorities for me are iron working (find those resources), map making if on an island , or literature for trading around. Governmnet wise it's usually monarchy (for early war) then probably democracy if playing peacful - never bother with republic. {this is PTW not C3C BTW}

thx for your replies, id like to hear some more opinions :)

@superguru

hehe thx for the nice way of explanation - it seems your really loving the game ;)

edit : this aint sarcams, was just reffering to all the "!!" =)

I do what Hawkster do. However, I sometimes go warrior, warrior then granary if I have a food rich, low shield start and I want to use my capital for settler factory.

Btw Legator: there are people with 1000s of posts on this board who won't ever get near to being as fluent in english as you are. Don't worry :)

Here are some more !!! since you enjoyed them so much!!! :p

Really pends on where your at and what your starting loc is. I will almost always build a couple warriors to scout with myself then a settler to build a new city. Then I might get a granery or two to pump out settlers and workers faster. Defense for my citys usually is a warrior for awhile, until I eventually get spearmen as I ready for war.

The granary issue is a little complicated.
Granaries are generally agreed to be pretty good, but probably generally should be built only in cities with >2 food surplus, and only then if no similar food surplus is available elsewhere. In practice they are most effective if a city has a +5 food surplus, but even then it can be better to build a settler first if there is good land nearby.

Try: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67557&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=3

this gives SirPleb's thoughts on the early settler issue. What he says is to be believed. In fact just reading his posts would be a good way to learn.

Sir Pleb is a masterful player by all accounts, so I think just about all of us should read his stuff for learning quality. As to your early game comments: I think I've become somewhere near a master of the Chieftain level, after playing about a year on it with no desire to get any better, it's only been after I visited here that I read a few War Academy articles, started using artillery, (I used to think that another warm body with a gun in my invasion force was far preferable. How wrong I was.) and placed my cities in a meaningful way. Heck, I'm placing more of them now than I used to as well...

So, about Chieftain, you should be completely obsessed with food for the first bit. The Republic & Democracy are must-have techs because chances are, if there's a war, YOU started it... and it'll be over quite fast, with a victory on your part. You'll usually have a gigantic tech lead over your foes. :)

Aside from that, granaries are somewhat of a must-have in many cities. If you want it to grow big, stick in a granary. Better, though, is The Pyramids. Get that wonder. At Chieftain, there are few nicer things to have. On higher levels, the AI knows what it's doing and will think the same way. (Translation: You're not going to get it. Build granaries anyway. If you want it, take it by force!)

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them, but by far I am one of the most unqualified posters around here. I'll play for a few more months and then I'll rethink my position. Right now, I'm just trying (and succeeding) at passing Warlord. I played by the sword a bit more in that game. India fell to my masses of Swordmen, and then Russia got Cavalry'd to death. Artillery cracked their bigger cities.

Originally posted by Capt Buttkick
I do what Hawkster do. However, I sometimes go warrior, warrior then granary if I have a food rich, low shield start and I want to use my capital for settler factory.

Btw Legator: there are people with 1000s of posts on this board who won't ever get near to being as fluent in english as you are. Don't worry :)

Here are some more !!! since you enjoyed them so much!!! :p

kk, thx for the advice :)

well - hehe ta :)

Originally posted by Offa
The granary issue is a little complicated.
Granaries are generally agreed to be pretty good, but probably generally should be built only in cities with >2 food surplus, and only then if no similar food surplus is available elsewhere. In practice they are most effective if a city has a +5 food surplus, but even then it can be better to build a settler first if there is good land nearby.

Try: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67557&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=3

this gives SirPleb's thoughts on the early settler issue. What he says is to be believed. In fact just reading his posts would be a good way to learn.

the main issue is how early to biuld ?

if i build it lets say right away when i got the tech ive to maintain the granary. as im playing 0.10.0 i would be in a lil mess - especially in the beginning.

if im right with my assumption

Originally posted by Dr Corbett
Sir Pleb is a masterful player by all accounts, so I think just about all of us should read his stuff for learning quality. As to your early game comments: I think I've become somewhere near a master of the Chieftain level, after playing about a year on it with no desire to get any better, it's only been after I visited here that I read a few War Academy articles, started using artillery, (I used to think that another warm body with a gun in my invasion force was far preferable. How wrong I was.) and placed my cities in a meaningful way. Heck, I'm placing more of them now than I used to as well...

So, about Chieftain, you should be completely obsessed with food for the first bit. The Republic & Democracy are must-have techs because chances are, if there's a war, YOU started it... and it'll be over quite fast, with a victory on your part. You'll usually have a gigantic tech lead over your foes. :)

Aside from that, granaries are somewhat of a must-have in many cities. If you want it to grow big, stick in a granary. Better, though, is The Pyramids. Get that wonder. At Chieftain, there are few nicer things to have. On higher levels, the AI knows what it's doing and will think the same way. (Translation: You're not going to get it. Build granaries anyway. If you want it, take it by force!)

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them, but by far I am one of the most unqualified posters around here. I'll play for a few more months and then I'll rethink my position. Right now, I'm just trying (and succeeding) at passing Warlord. I played by the sword a bit more in that game. India fell to my masses of Swordmen, and then Russia got Cavalry'd to death. Artillery cracked their bigger cities.

im playing monarch - the ones below are finished by me. i think i play civ3 since its out (or close after it) - the problem is i only played the way i thought it was right and i didnt develop new/better strategies. now - with having conquest - and a much quicker comp. also i didnt even know about boards like this (i only was playing hardcore the game in my signature - and didnt have time than for a more serious civ) and reading through it i see that im by far not that "good" as i thought :)

well, mates of my planetarion-alliance played civ online and i joined in with conquest - since than im addicted as never before and now im working on higher difficulty-levels

Btw - if anyone wants to chat or organize mp games over irc (much easier than the ingame chat imo) have a look on the irc-server in my sig - your welcome :)

Thankyou Legator!!!!!I dont know what you mean about the !! !!!!!!!!! Its a cool game!!!!Used to play Civ 2 all the time!!!!!
Learnt there the importance of pyramids!!!!!Remember tech can be bargained for or stolen!!

@ lagator
If you allow a city to go to Level 7, it empties the granary. Since the granary may often not be built before Level 5, this is more than just an annoyance. As a result, granaries really pay off only for settler factories and very slow growing, but next to freshwater, cities.

Do build some warriors, not to fight with but to scout. You do need to know where resources and the AI are and warriors are cheap to build. They are also not useless in battle either and in C3C actually have something of an upgrade line.

Originally posted by pelmeister
@ lagator
If you allow a city to go to Level 7, it empties the granary. Since the granary may often not be built before Level 5, this is more than just an annoyance. As a result, granaries really pay off only for settler factories and very slow growing, but next to freshwater, cities.

Do build some warriors, not to fight with but to scout. You do need to know where resources and the AI are and warriors are cheap to build. They are also not useless in battle either and in C3C actually have something of an upgrade line.

thx for the help :)

about the scouting part - im playing regicide (conquests) im scouting with the unit you shouldnt lose ;)

scouting isnt a problem.

another thing to add - its "Legator" not "Lagator" - im sometimes idle and maybe not the most brainskilled (lol) but not a "Lagator" yet ;)

* fear the sarcasm :D

@leg
please excuse my typing (or my reading)

you should probably still scout with some warriors - or put it this way, when you play at higher levels, you'll need to. Trading luxuries is one of the few ways of catching up in tech and you need to settle all squares with luxuries that you can (even if it means duplication). To do this you need to know the map as well as possible as quickly as possible.

Originally posted by pelmeister
@leg
please excuse my typing (or my reading)

you should probably still scout with some warriors - or put it this way, when you play at higher levels, you'll need to. Trading luxuries is one of the few ways of catching up in tech and you need to settle all squares with luxuries that you can (even if it means duplication). To do this you need to know the map as well as possible as quickly as possible.

hehe, nps about the typo - was just kidding anyways :)

yea of course - i try to scout as much and as possible. im playing on monarch level at the moment - not sure if im able to make it in my current game. wont be easy for sure.

!!!!!!!Graneries rock!!!!!!!In my current game I'm trying not to build pyramids!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find that it has slowed down my city development right down!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that I shall built it now as no one else has!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by supaguruzebidy
!!!!!!!Graneries rock!!!!!!!In my current game I'm trying not to build pyramids!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find that it has slowed down my city development right down!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that I shall built it now as no one else has!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love your replies, really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sorry for teh spam but i couldnt resist ;)

Top Bottom