(3-VT) Remove Era Requirement from United Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

axatin

Prince
Currently, two requirements must be met for the World Congress to become the United Nations: The United Nations wonder must have been built and the world must be in the Atomic Era (i.e. half of the civilizations must have reached the Atomic Era or one must have reached the Information Era). As discussed on Discord and on Github (link), this is actually unintended. The United Nations wonder is supposed to be the only requirement, and the additional era requirement is a bug.

The UN requirements have been like this for quite some time and I'm not aware of any complaints that the United Nations appear too late in the game. So, before a modder spends time on fixing the bug, I would like to use the Congress to find out whether such a change would be in the interest of the community.

Proposal: Remove the Era requirement from the United Nations. The World Congress becomes the United Nations once the United Nations Wonder has been built.

(Note that the United Nations project can only be proposed if any player has discovered Atomic Theory, which is one of the early techs of the Atomic Era)

As discussed on Discord and on Github (link), this is actually unintended. The United Nations wonder is supposed to be the only requirement, and the additional era requirement is a bug.
Er, proposals aren't supposed to be about bugfixes.

Indeed. If it is a bug fix then it should be addressed as such and this proposal be closed

Maybe "bug" was the wrong choice of words here. The game works fine the way it is, it's just different than originally intended. The question is, do we want to change this or rather keep it the way it is?

Maybe "bug" was the wrong choice of words here. The game works fine the way it is, it's just different than originally intended. The question is, do we want to change this or rather keep it the way it is?
I'd say you want to keep things as originally intended. It's not a good thing that what you had planned in game suddenly faces an unexpected behavior that nobody intended. When I find one of these, my first action is to see if I can fix it and check github to either submit the fix, or open a bug report. Even if is just a tooltip fix.

That said, I don't mind discussing whether the UN should be unlocked at Atomic or Information Era. I just think it is best to first fix the current behavior (since many players may not eve be aware of the Information Era requirement, given the tooltip) before proposing something about it.

Proposal vetoed.

Reason:
If the mechanic is not functioning as intended, it's a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom