(3-VT) Trailblazer Scout Promotions Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarcomu

Prince
Since this proposal (from @pineappledan) actually passed the voting phase, but was later not delivered in time, thus failed, I will bring it back for the actual session.
Here's a link to the old vote poll.
Initial proposal :

This is a counterproposal to @ilteroi's proposal for removing double movement abilities from the scout line. link here.
His proposal adds % withdraw chances as recompense for the lost double movement abilities. Withdraw chances have already been removed from the scout line in the past, because they were random chance mechanics and unpopular with certain members of the community.
Here is what I propose:
All Recon Units have base 3:c5moves: moves (affects Pathfinder, Scout, Paratrooper, Special Forces, XCOM. Explorer and Commando are Unaffected) and loose "ignore terrain cost"
  • Trailblazer 1:
    • +1 Sight.
    • Ignore movement penalties on forest, jungle, and hills.
  • Trailblazer 2:
    • +1 :c5moves:moves.
    • Ignore movement penalties from desert, snow, marshes, and rivers.
    • no penalty for attacking over rivers.
  • Trailblazer 3:
    • Ignores ZOC.
    • Can cross mountains and embark
    • +20%:c5strength: CS Outside friendly territory.
Other promotions:
  • Scouting 1(Available at TB 2 and Survival 2): +1 Sight
  • Scouting 2: +1 :c5moves:moves
  • Scouting 3: removed
  • Frogman (New promotion):
    • Available at TB III
    • Costs 1 Move to Embark and Disembark
    • No penalty to attack from embarked
    • +50%:c5strength:defense when Embarked

EDIT : rephrase first row to make clear that it was not delivered in time, thus failed.

Last edited:
That is, the Trailblazer 2 will have 4 movement points with no terrain penalties. The cavalry will not catch up even in an open field, which is somewhat strange, since a horse runs faster than a man.

I don't mind Paratrooper, Special Forces, XCOM having 4 movement points as they have tanks (5 movement point), helicopters (6), planes and guided missiles against them. But Pathfinder and Scout will be very fast.

Although mechanized infantry has 3 movement points and it is somewhat strange that they will not be able to catch up with Special Forces moving on their own legs without vehicles.

The thing is, this proposal has already been voted on, it passed ; just that ultimately the original sponsor couldn't make it in time.
Also, the actual scout with full promotion already move 6 tiles in favorable terrain. So this proposal just smooth speed in both open and rough terrain.
And it felt awkward to move faster in rough terrain than in open, which this proposal solve.

So your new TB 2 pathfinder is going to be much weaker against barbs. You have +20% less defense, and you can no longer move around them without the ignore ZoC ability. Pathfinders will die more often with this change.

The thing is, this proposal has already been voted on, it passed ; just that ultimately the original sponsor couldn't make it in time.
Also, the actual scout with full promotion already move 6 tiles in favorable terrain. So this proposal just smooth speed in both open and rough terrain.
And it felt awkward to move faster in rough terrain than in open, which this proposal solve.
On the flip side, you could argue that this proposal did not receive a sponsor, so it effectively "died in the senate". Why are we bringing it up again?

It did not died in the senate, it was sponsored, voted on, passed, but its sponsor did not deliver it in time.
So I see no problem bringing it again.

BTW it is not forbidden to present proposal who failed the sponsorship phase. Having a proposal voted positively on it failing for sponsorship feel like a good reason to present it again, and give it another chance to be sponsored.

Well, in the forests, the cavalry should not catch up with a foot scout. And with this proposal, the cavalry will not catch up with him even in an open field.

Added a link to the old vote poll, 30 % nay against 70% yay, it has already been discussed and approved...

It did not died in the senate, it was sponsored, voted on, passed, but its sponsor did not deliver it in time.
So I see no problem bringing it again.
ah fair enough. I agree with you. If the intention was to sponsor and it was simply a time problem than yes I think that is a reasonable cause for resubmittance.

Edit : rephrased the first row to clarify that it was not delivered in time

@Anarcomu is correct. However, you cannot make a proposal in the Counterproposal Phase. :)

This proposal can't happen without @ilteroi, anyway, since only he is familiar enough with the movement & tactical AI code, and he says the work is prohibitively difficult, so I'll have to veto this proposal.

Proposal vetoed.

Reason:
Made during Counterproposal Phase & out of scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom