3 years of civ and im huge desappointed

Seadoba

Chieftain
Extremely disappointed with the game.

We are arriving in the 3 year launch, 2 expansions, and to this day we do not have an AI capable of making an army.

I think that there have been important developments in the mechanics of the game, diplomacy is fine, innovations in constructions, but for any player of civilization the 1st point is to make WAR.

It is totally disappointing to play at any level and face nations that simply can not make an army.

I am in a Deity run with 10 civilizations and it seems that I am the unique one in the map with army. How annoying.

I was 2 years without playing, I waited for patches, expansions, and it just does not happen.

Firaxis, is it serious that you're expecting players to patch? Are you expecting a VOX POPULI?

What an aberration. A shame because I simply do not see any kind of challenge in civ, border the easy ridiculous. At least code the AI to massive spam army, idc, but GIVE TO THE PLAYERS SOME CHALLENGE.

They expect you to play multiplayer if you want a challenge...

I actually tried to play online, but it's not something I like. Besides lag (I live in South America), ppl disconecting, not ranking system, I like to play long games, marathons, to enjoy each era well, feels the vibe, things that I have with me since civ 3.

It is more impossible every day. I downloaded Civ 4 and 5, I'll play those. A shame.

Tbh if you want a real challenge in this genre I would go for a heavily modded civ5 which has has time to mature at this point (VP is 6+ years in the making) or play the Total War franchise (I suggest Rome Total War 2 with Divide et Impera)

Civ6 has not matured yet (there might even be one more expansion).

Last edited:

We are arriving in the 3 year launch, 2 expansions, and to this day we do not have an AI capable of making an army.

Maybe you are playing a different game because several AIs have consistently made armies in all of the games I've been playing, and they have attacked with them and support as well. (I only use the ynamp mod which doesn't do anything for production of units.)

I started a game with the new patch to test the waters. My game setting were standard rules, normal speed, continents, emperor, england, standard map, all victory disabled except domination.

To be honest, there are marked improvement from previous patches, more units, UI, more science and culture by AI. However i have to agree with the OP. Civ 6 might be better in a lot of areas but war isnt one them. No matter the number of units AI has, it just sends them into the shredder one after another. The navies are almost non existent or poorly supported. Embarked units are left to the mercy of player navies. All in all extremely disappointed in the current state of the game.

With all the improvements to IZ and placement criteria, it seems more like a city builder sim, like sim city rather than a game of civilization. Why bother with placements and maximizing efficiency if the AI isnt even a threat.

I think that there have been important developments in the mechanics of the game, diplomacy is fine, innovations in constructions, but for any player of civilization the 1st point is to make WAR.

It is totally disappointing to play at any level and face nations that simply can not make an army.

I am in a Deity run with 10 civilizations and it seems that I am the unique one in the map with army. How annoying.

I was 2 years without playing, I waited for patches, expansions, and it just does not happen.

Firaxis, is it serious that you're expecting players to patch? Are you expecting a VOX POPULI?

What an aberration. A shame because I simply do not see any kind of challenge in civ, border the easy ridiculous. At least code the AI to massive spam army, idc, but GIVE TO THE PLAYERS SOME CHALLENGE.

Try the mod Real Strategy or AI+. Really helps the AI. In many games I was overwhelmed by the AI's armies. Real Strategy is the one I prefer but give both a try.

Try the mod Real Strategy or AI+. Really helps the AI. In many games I was overwhelmed by the AI's armies. Real Strategy is the one I prefer but give both a try.
Ill give a shot to Real Strategy, always used AI+ tho.

Ty!

Multiplayer is simply a game about trees IMO.
Sadly true. This is why I don't play civ 6 multiplayer... the optimal strats are too un-fun. chop chop chop

You haven't played much mp games i guess. Chopping isn't the optimal play. It's more a thing included into a meta strategy. I myself don't chop much and still keep competitive. The latest patch helps the chop reduction in fact.

I rarely start with Magnus. It's not like a year or 2 ago.

For those interested into good mp games you can join the CPL clan on discord.

You haven't played much mp games i guess. Chopping isn't the optimal play. It's more a thing included into a meta strategy. I myself don't chop much and still keep competitive. The latest patch helps the chop reduction in fact.

I rarely start with Magnus. It's not like a year or 2 ago.

For those interested into good mp games you can join the CPL clan on discord.
I can visit your discord later but do you use a lot of mods? Is voice chat required because I would think that would compromise diplomatic visibility and scouting if people are talking about what they're seeing.

Brother thank you. Got wiped by g. khan at turn 148 hahaha.
Never felt so good losing a game.
I mean, its not perfect but at least ill need to think in strategies, better aproaches, etc.

Using the Real Strategies mod, really improve the AI combat/actions.

I'm going to have to check out some of these mods.

i must have missed these halcyon days of yore when the AI was good

Civ AI was never good, but when it was a simpler game that mattered less. We've gone from playing against a poor checkers player that gets five times as many pieces to a poor chess player that often skips their turn because they can't figure out what the pieces do.

Maybe you are playing a different game because several AIs have consistently made armies in all of the games I've been playing, and they have attacked with them and support as well. (I only use the ynamp mod which doesn't do anything for production of units.)
No, he's playing Civ VI. Maybe it's you playing a different game. Pointless snideness aside, I so rarely have war declared on me it's unnerving. In some games, I don't even bother with sending delegations anymore. I felt a rush of happiness at Cyrus trying an early rush at me. But when he did, it was just spearmen and slingers trickling in piecemeal, Easily squashed by swordsmen and archers.

Watching the AI war with itself, it does seem to like to spam the same unit over-and-over. I guess that's more in the way of building an army than not spamming anything. They rarely upgrade, but at least that means they sometimes do upgrade. I did see Egypt capture a city-state with walls with a couple of crossbowmen, a catapult, and a swordsman. That's progress, sort of.

Not hard to see dissatisfaction though. Civ VI will never be a game of epic warfare with multiple campaigns on different fronts. For that, it takes a larger map that's tougher to traverse, combined with units that are easy to produce while simultaneously also more perishable. Civ VI is a game about a player having a handful of units that never suffer attrition, that blitzkrieg cities to knock them out in one-two punches, and which eventually get outclassed by aircraft.

Using the Real Strategies mod, really improve the AI combat/actions.
In what way though? Does the mod just turn up the spigots, so you suffer from waves of units coming faster than you feed them through a shredder?

n what way though? Does the mod just turn up the spigots, so you suffer from waves of units coming faster than you feed them through a shredder?

Something similar. I noticed that they build more armies, they try to diversify the units and they are definitely more aggressive.
GK attacked me with 8 horsemans, archers and spearmen. Also he gave levy in my neighboring state city and I had nothing to do, I was in a fight with Egypt(a good fight btw).

Well, its better than nothing. At least I need now to watch my back, build some walls, some def armys etc.

The mental gymnastics some people make to justify bad AI. Common arguments are:
- Game is still fun - then how much more fun would it be if you got constant doses of adrenaline from combat and had to care about diplomacy and war!
- Better AI cannot be done for mechanics of this game - then the game mechanics should be designed differently, goddamn even redesigned if necessary (Paradox did some very radical chances in patches of Stellaris). If current version of 1UPT is that impossible to design AI for then maybe it is not worth it in the end. In theory I greatly prefer it over stacks but if I need to have stacks to have any challenge in the game then damn it, give me stacks.
- This is "builder" or "sandbox" game, not "wargame" - it is neither, it is empire building game and 4X game. Both of these descriptions include great importance of warfare and many civs are mostly designed around war.
- AI has improved since release - yes it has improved from "braindead absurdity" to "very bad" after three years. Three years and there is no sense of urgency or any risk beyond early game rush.
- I don't want the game to be too difficult - we have 8 difficulty levels to have from (though half of them are pointless anyway)
- Turn times would be too long - if many other turn and real time strategii games with a metric ton of units and factions can function, civ could have decent performance too. I mean, maybe it'd require removal od 1UPT but look at point 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom