30 New Achievements

According to Giant Bomb, the first Civilization game was released January 1, 1991. The US version that is.

Interesting to see that they reduced the map and removed a good deal of the tech tree.

Due to the low priority of Meier's games at MicroProse, they had trouble securing the help they needed. It was only grudgingly that the company allowed the art team and play testing team to work on it.

During this phase of development, the map was halved in size, large portions of the technology tree were removed, and units were removed. Prior to shipping however, Shelley developed the in-game reference guide, the Civilopedia, as well as the massive user manual.

In 1991, the game shipped. It was late and saw very little promotion. However, on the strength of critical acclaim and word-of-mouth excitement, the game took the imagination of gamers everywhere and spawning a million selling franchise.

http://www.giantbomb.com/sid-meiers-civilization/61-3750/

I seem to recall a friend buying it in February, 1991. Steam had a 20th anniversary sale on February 18, 2011 so that could possibly be around the release date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the AI declaring war 50 times, that's pathetic. It's bad enough that the AI is psychotic in Civilization 5 without this joke of an achievement. :rolleyes:

Even if the 50x war thing is a joke, the Hundred Turn War achievement isn't. Note that, like many other achievements, it STILL doesn't work. :)

I doubt it, Pouakai. There were many achievements that shipped with the game that didn't work, and as far as I know, none were removed, just removed from visibility (they were never visible in Steam, they were "secret" achievements). I could be wrong though. *shrug*

I doubt it, Pouakai. There were many achievements that shipped with the game that didn't work, and as far as I know, none were removed, just removed from visibility (they were never visible in Steam, they were "secret" achievements). I could be wrong though. *shrug*

I distinctly remember they removed the achievements that didn't work from steam.

Sumeria would be a very interesting civ to crush! hope it's new DLC!

I highly doubt Sumeria and the Hittites will be in. There would be too many middle Eastern civs. Its not that I don't want them, I would like as many civs in the game as possible:goodjob:, I just don't think they will make it in.

I :love: The Hittites!
I hope the other achievements are for the Zulu, they've been missing for far too long.

A change in the Debug file CONFIRMED some of the new achievements:

[9266.942] DBG: 161 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SPECIAL_ROME_GETS_ZEUS (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_18) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 162 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SPECIAL_ZEUS_AND_ARTEMIS (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_19) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 163 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_HITTITES (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_22) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 164 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_GREECE (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_23) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 165 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_SUMER (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_24) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 166 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_EGYPT (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_25) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 167 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_PERSIA (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_26) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 168 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_PRINCE (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_27) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 169 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_KING (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_28) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 170 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_EMPEROR (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_29) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 171 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_IMMORTAL (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_30) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 172 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WIN_DEITY (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_138_31) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 173 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WONDER_CITY (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_139_0) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 174 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_WONDER_CONQUEST (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_139_1) = Locked
[9266.942] DBG: 175 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_SCENARIO_06_ORACLE_CONSULT (NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_139_2) = Locked

Sound to me like a scenario pack of
Rise of Rome
Alexander the Great
ancient world Egypt/Hittite/Babylon/Assyria scenario

I highly doubt Sumeria and the Hittites will be in. There would be too many middle Eastern civs. Its not that I don't want them, I would like as many civs in the game as possible:goodjob:, I just don't think they will make it in.

Arabs, Babylon, Ottomans, Persia, Egypt. For the Cradle of Civilization, I don't think there are enough. After all, Europe has England, France, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Russia, Rome, Greece. Two of the DLC have been European (compared to one Middle Eastern, which was released at the same time as the game).

Now don't get me wrong. I kinda want the Celts at some point and I think Asia should have a Civ released (Polynesia is in a nebulous category, I wouldn't quite call them an Asian DLC), but I do think we could use more Middle Eastern Civs as well. Now two doesn't seem as likely, but I could see a case made for either (or the Assyrians, fwiw).

Although I want to see both Sumeria and the Hittites added to the game, I have a feeling they won't be added in the upcoming DLC, as the achievement log doesn't seem to have an achievement along the lines of: 'Beat the game on any difficulty setting using <insert leader's name here>', even though all of the other civilizations have one.

I hope I'm wrong though...

Although I want to see both Sumeria and the Hittites added to the game, I have a feeling they won't be added in the upcoming DLC, as the achievement log doesn't seem to have an achievement along the lines of: 'Beat the game on any difficulty setting using <insert leader's name here>', even though all of the other civilizations have one.

I hope I'm wrong though...

There are still 15 achievements which do not appear in the debug file, which means there is possibility for them, and then the "Korea DLC" achievements

* I say Korea DLC as it is easier than saying "The other 13 achievements which still remain unclaimed that are hypothesized to be in an upcoming Downloaded Content pack featuring a yet-to-be-determined civilization and scenario".

** I know realise the latter would have been easier as I've had to write two more sentences explaining why I write Korea to be next

There were many achievements that shipped with the game that didn't work, and as far as I know, none were removed, just removed from visibility (they were never visible in Steam, they were "secret" achievements). I could be wrong though. *shrug*
All those "secret" achievements that were posted here in the forums were a hoax. They were never even in the game to begin with. No official source ever confirmed them, no one found any code to confirm them, and no one managed to get even a single one of them (If there were secret achievements, I am willing to believe that some of these secret achievements would not be working, but not all of them).

Firaxis fixed a few achievements and removed a few others in the 2nd patch, IIRC.

There are still 15 achievements which do not appear in the debug file, which means there is possibility for them, and then the "Korea DLC" achievements

That would suggest there's also a Korean scenario (which is certainty a possibility).

Top Bottom