300,000 B.C. start

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Joij21, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well... it does say they weren't completely modernized homo sapiens in all physical features.

3. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Though they are still technically homo sapiens.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

And they were ALREADY at stone tools... maybe we need to consider starting before H. Sapien as well.

5. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Pretty much all hominids before homo sapiens had stone tools. And homo erectus was the first hominid to use fire, way before we existed.

6. CreativeCaprine

CreativeCaprine Chieftain

But consider this: Homo Sapiens need some time for each civ to become distinct and wander to their starting positions. (Even though they don't have Nomadic Lifestyle)

7. Praetyre

Praetyre King

I'm in favour of a 300,000 BC start; it dovetails nicely not only with the Jebel Irhoud remains, but the beginning of the Middle Paleolithic, and (to a lesser extent) the emergence of Homo sapiens neanderthalensis. The mentioned issues are part of the reason why my own (yet to be released) modmod will take a different approach to technology designed to avoid "You Have Researched Breathing" Syndrome; all playable civilizations will start with a "Homo sapiens sapiens Knowledge" tech (there will be analogous techs for NPCs, especially other hominids that I assume will eventually be added), which will enable the player to do anything Adamic man could (well, except live forever, but that's a different subject), such as control (not make) fire and wield spears.