1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3000 BC start some issues

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by dagriggstar, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dagriggstar

dagriggstar Prince

I don't know about you but...

- Christianity doesn't seem to spread like it should. The only time I've seen it as the majority religion in western Europe was when the holy city was Bordeux (originally founded by the Celts). Vast majority of the time it seems to be a minority religion (like Judaism), even when I increased the spread rate. (for example - the game I just gave up on it spread to 2% of the world. Europe was Buddhist, only Christian nation at any point in the game was Egypt and only until the rise of islam). Perhaps solved by having AI Rome take more cities and having it spread to Europe along those trade routes...
    - Arabia never expands into Spain. This has the knock-on effect of Portugal and Spain not starting at war with arabia, which would change the diplomatic relationship between the two signifigantly
    - Byzatinum/Istanbul isn't always present at Turkish spawn (makes it pretty easy, don't you think ?)
    - India survives the whole game most of the time. Means that there's rarely any colonisation in India...
    - Khmer usually vassals to China allowing them to expand to Indonesia before the Dutch can get there (though technically it should be the Portguese getting there first)
    - The normal game seems to be that either the Inca or the Aztec survive. This in the case of the Aztecs seems to severly hamper the American AI...
    - Mali is usually too strong.

2. ziamatt

ziamatt Chieftain

This seems to happen whenever the Independents or Barbarians found Christianity, though the Holy City being conquered by a major civilization seems to increase the religion's spread rate. This also occurs when a civilization with minimal contact with the Western world, such as Japan or China, founds Christianity.

This could probably be corrected by having Carthage expand into Spain more often. After all, the invasion of Iberia was carried out not by leaders in Arabia but in North Africa.

Keep in mind historically Europeans never "colonized" India in the sense that they established cities of their own. Instead they brought existing cities under their control, mainly through economic exploitation. I think there needs to be more incentive to try to vassalize India, such as more resources or a greater potential for gold production.

[QUOTE - Khmer usually vassals to China allowing them to expand to Indonesia before the Dutch can get there (though technically it should be the Portguese getting there first)[/QUOTE]

That's true, Khmer should be bit more isolated until Europeans arrive.

Perhaps we could create something that will cause America to declare war on the Aztecs to expand, like the Mexican-American War.

They only seem to become really powerful after becoming vassals, which makes sense. They're no longer the tiny, struggling civilization they were and are now extensions of their parent's power and wealth.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I agree. There're many ways a Christian holy city can go wrong, but Islamic holy city will be always in Mecca. Most of the time it's founded by a major civilization, and then gets razed by the barbs.

The AI is rather bad at naval invasion stuff, especially pre-Astronomy.

India usually collapses, with North Indian independents often becoming Persian/Arabian/Turkish, occasionally even Khmer. The reason Europe is rarely present there is that Europe, esp. England doesn't colonize like it should even when there's some empty space in India, and is more concerned with founding cities in America, and naval invasion AI is bad.

USA's AI is not good. Personally, I've made their leaders Creative, and made them willing to trade monopoly techs to backfill the tech tree a la Mansa, and I started to see some pretty strong USA's with holdings from Hawaii to Brazil.

Also, plague doesn't really help the quantity-not-quality AI's in the military department.

I think that British Raj would be more accurately simulated with the British directly controlling a city or two, while the rest of India is vassalized.

I'm not a fan of the fact that after Astronomy the civs vassalize to faraway nations left, right and center. I think that the nations which were colonized in RL shouldn't vassalize to Western Europen powers until the Westerners capture at least one city from them. Also, it allows for really confusing situations, like Portugal vassalizing itself to a strong Mongolia, despite the extent of Mongolian holdings being China and Central Asia.

4. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Who's with me for Rhye to integrate BetterAI into RFC? :)

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Me!

In 600AD, when India has some empty space in the south, Portugal is the European power most likely to found a city there.

6. dagriggstar

dagriggstar Prince

Alot easier to get the Euro UHV's on the 600 AD start because of things like that. When I got the Dutch UHV I settled India where those spices are, handy city.

7. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Not when Persia is human... :ninja:

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

In my experience it often collapses and is a target of Turkey or Khmer. Few cases of European colonization, though.

9. zbelg

zbelg Warlord

This is something that's always annoyed me, whenever the Phrygians or something found Christianity I tend to just cheat and put Christianity in Rome in WorldBuilder to make the game more interesting. However, maybe this is just dumb luck, but playing as the Indians, I've seen Christianity inexplicably spread to the Romans more frequently, most recently going through Ethiopia (even when I play isolationist and don't have any trade routes that would influence that). Is this intentional? If so, I really like it, often Rome's state religion is key to the dominant religion in Europe.

10. Feyaria

Feyaria Warlord

I have a 2 religion play atm:

Jerusalem razed -> no judaism, no christianity
    dehli razed -> no budhism, no hinduism (except one khmer city)
    china lost its tao holy city too (only beijing has tao)

So the world is split into a confuzian east asia and a islam europe.....

Maybe holy cities should be impossible to raze.

11. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Try the new mini-mod in the modmod section, made by usi.