31 US special forces killed in Afghanistan

RedRalph

Deity
Apparently their helicopter was shot down by the Taliban. BBC breaking it now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14430735

A US helicopter crash in eastern Afghanistan has killed 31 US soldiers, Afghan President Hamid Karzai's office says.

The soldiers were special forces personnel returning to base after an operation.

It is not clear how the crash happened but the Taliban have said they shot the helicopter down.

The incident marks one of the biggest single losses for US forces in Afghanistan since 2001.

Ouch.

31?? A Chinook helicopter? Flying alone?

Note that what we know is that a helicopter crashed, killing everyone(?) on board. The Taliban say they shot it down, but it may also have been technical problems or anything else...

Still, really bad.

multiply by 1000 and you get the approx number of people dying of hunger and hunger related causes today so we in the west can enjoy "our freedoms"...

Yeah, it is really bad.

I agree. Also you have to take notice that which of the Taliban are we talking about?

So do you have an accurate number of how many brave misguided US soldiers need to die before their deaths are tragic ?

R.I.P American all of our friends that are manipulated into fighting one another

multiply by 1000 and you get the approx number of people dying of hunger and hunger related causes today so we in the west can enjoy "our freedoms"...

Yeah, it is really bad.
Aren't the Islamists in Somalia actually preventing help-organizations from reaching the starving Somalis? I'm sorry, but you're criticizing the west no matter what they do.

So do you have an accurate number of how many brave US soldiers need to die before their deaths are tragic ?

R.I.P American friends

All death is tragic.
But some deaths are more tragic than others.

Aren't the Islamists in Somalia actually preventing help-organizations from reaching the starving Somalis? I'm sorry, but you're criticizing the west no matter what they do.

Yes, atleast thats what they say here.
And that is tragic as well.
Altho if we in the west actually cared there would be no starvation there in the first place...

@Thoughtful Thug . I respect your edit but let's add often misguided without deleting brave . As for my focus on Americans , many of my countrymen have died aswell and maybe I'm the misguided one but sometimes some solidarity is called for .

But yeah , war sucks

...and? It's a war, and these things happen in war. If people aren't ready to accept occasional incidents like this, or a casualty rate similar to this, then boots should not be on the ground in the first place. If there's one thing I dislike it's people who support a war or combat only when the other guys are dying.

"Technical Problems"? I be cautious about believing that for a minute.

A loss of structural support is a problem.

Yes, atleast thats what they say here.
And that is tragic as well.
Altho if we in the west actually cared there would be no starvation there in the first place...
Has the western conspiracy reached Egypt too?

The west cared enough to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, and is having an operation in Libya as well... It's not going too well and there's an economic crisis. Can't the the rest of the world care a bit too?

I'm not defending what the has been done in the world by political leaders, but I'm not that naïve to believe that we're behind all that has gone bad. The power in the West is declining. We'll see how this will influence the Islamic and the rest of the world. I'm not optimistic and I predict that there will be an increase of suffering and of movements of minorities.

Also, R.I.P.

Has the western conspiracy reached Egypt too?

The west cared enough to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, and is having an operation in Libya as well... It's not going too well and there's an economic crisis. Can't the the rest of the world care a bit too?

I'm not defending what the has been done in the world by political leaders, but I'm not that naïve to believe that we're behind all that has gone bad. The power in the West is declining. We'll see how this will influence the Islamic and the rest of the world. I'm not optimistic and I predict that there will be an increase of suffering and of movements of minorities.

Also, R.I.P.

No but I am here in copenhagen... I just didnt change the location...
Im 100% danish BTW studied in egypt...

The west cared enough to go and invade not out of care for the population. Out of care for the resources we need, the money we need and to subjugate.
It has NOTHING to do with the local population.
The war in Iraq is illegal and based on lies. The war in afghanistan is a war declared because of one mans actions that we cant even proove.
The war in libya is again to protect the resouces we plunder and to keep our fortress clear of too many immigrants.
And there are many excuses for these wars, war on terror, weapons of mass destruction, evil islamists, killing of civilians and so on...
Exactly the same many years ago in south america and asia, evil communists, Suharto killed 500.000 in a few years, all sanctioned by us... we loved him! Wars in korea, vietnam, all over the south america. Exploitation of local resources, population, genocide of indiginous peoples, the list is endless. Caused by us in the western world.
To protect our comfort and convienience.

Wars are very profitable and we need our resources. We sell them weapons so they kill each other and destroy their countries or we invade or take sides and help them kill and destroy. Then when it is done enters the foreign aid programs, the world bank, the IMF and then we borrow them lotsa lotsa money to pay for our companies to build and rebuild the infrastructure for the industrialization of the country. That industrialization is our big corporations who come and force deals, kill the environment, the indiginous, exploit the resources while the tyrant and his family and our banks and corporations get rich.

But yes R.I.P! The poor soldiers might be misguided, maybe forced but they are certainly brave.
Cant blame the youth for what the idiots decide for them!

R.i.p.

"Technical Problems"? I be cautious about believing that for a minute.

Why? We lose far more aircraft to mechanical failure or pilot error than we do enemy action. And Afghanistan is a very tough place to fly due to the elevations involved. Its much harder for a hellcopter to maintain lift in very high elevation. Chinooks have less a problem with this than Blackhawks and is why they are used in Afghanistan, but Chinooks are also very old aircraft. I have actually flown in them before where stuff fell off the damn thing....while in flight.

Accidents still happen....even in warzones, and people get killed all the time in them.

Why? We lose far more aircraft to mechanical failure or pilot error than we do enemy action. And Afghanistan is a very tough place to fly due to the elevations involved. Its much harder for a hellcopter to maintain lift in very high elevation. Chinooks have less a problem with this than Blackhawks and is why they are used in Afghanistan, but Chinooks are also very old aircraft. I have actually flown in them before where stuff fell off the damn thing....while in flight.

Accidents still happen....even in warzones, and people get killed all the time in them.
yea. just going by number of operations they take there, and how much harder it is to prevent accident, it actually pretty good that there aren't as much accidents.

Top Bottom