1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3240 Bc

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by HUSch, Dec 17, 2008.

1. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Many decisions to make, please vote!
    My proposal:

1. Ari (1,5/2) heals or not, if not go 9
    2. Pyt goes north
    3. We 've a worker To chop and mine, the best is the riverhill 4, we 've 4 riverhills this series is best I think (picture below).
    3, What to build in CERN
    My plan for the next turns is here, we build a warrior 1 turn, then the workboat with 3 turns, then revolution to slave, then grow with the finishing of the warrior to pop 3 in 2840.

Attached Files:

2. topas

topas Prince

1. Ari heal
    2. Pyt 2 for quick look would be my favorite
    3. chop CERN-4 or CERN-8 first.
    4. I think it's more efficient to start on another worker until fishing is in and we start on a WB. (This turn we can have 6 hammers in a worker or 3 food and 1 hammer in a warrior. I think worker is better deal (and growing with better tiles later).)

(I really dislike working the dye. Better take a forrested grasland or the spices...)

2 points I'd like to raise:

- If we go with HUSch's plan, I would move Pyt more to the south since another warrior in CERn will be in queue (and finished early enough to explore Dave's green area).

- I hope that you all realized, that our next research-project affects our strategy in the next 50-70 turns great times!
    (Escecially I believe, that the next production (begins before WB and will be finished after it) in CERN can be crucial towards our strategy.)
    I try to summerize this in the research-thread.

3. Rantamplanzzz

Rantamplanzzz Chieftain

I see it clear now that mountains are human made and placed there for something, probably for separating civilization, so more probable scenario is that we have one or few "gates" for moving stuff to the other side.

I think we should explore that mountains until we find that gate and try to find a good spot in our or much better their side to place a city as soon as posible(we can discuss that laters when we find that area).

Talking about what to build in the city, I would grow to pop 3 before building the next food user unit and it would be a colonist (probably chopping), but thats only my opinion.

4. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

4. Start the second worker. We don't need more warriors. We need production with multiplier-effect.

@rantamplanzzz

In the majority of cases it's better to have three workers before you start a settler. With workers our economy and our new citys are able to expand and develop fast.

5. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Hummel
    Do you want to build a workboat next turn or not? Without our commerce is bad, with workboat and pop 2 we can't build a worker with bonus and use the clam!
    So it's essential to grow to pop 3 before we build a worker/settler.
    That's the problem, not the need of warriors. if we think we need a barrack in CERN in the next furture, perhaps it's better to build this and grow also faster, but then we must build one in the next ~50 turn, that is a little early for me.
    But with a 3. Warrior Pyt can also go exploring the SE.

6. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

We get the expansiv-bonus for workers with our lumberjack-wood. Pop2 with calm an one mine is perfect for 2 more workers and one settler. After the settler we could slave or chop a granary and grow then.

1.worker > chop, mine, chop...
    2. worker > chop...
    3. worker > chop...

With pottery the worker ca nbuild 3 cottages and we can grow with the granary.

7. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Also no workboat or what?

btw
    I need also some other votes, we 've ~20 hours now.

8. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

Sure, we have to break the production of the second worker for the workboat. And after the workboat is finished we continue with the second worker. The second worker is followed by the third worker and the third worker is followed by the settler (all with pop2). After the settler we can build a granary and grow with the Holkan-production.

The workers have to build only one mine and then chop all of our wood. Before we finish the settler one worker can start to build a road to our second city-place. And with pottery we can start to cottage our river-grassland.

Research wheel > pottery.

That is the fastest way for our expansion and in my opinion the way to play with Pacal and use his vantages.

9. topas

topas Prince

I would go for agri - TW - pottery next.
    In this prospect I think starting the second worker now is much more useful: When agri is finished we start farming the rice. When the 2nd worker is finished, it can help with farming. With clam+rice we can grow fast.

Rant.
    A new city with only unimproved tiles for some time is not worth founding.
    We need 1 worker to follow the settler, so that we can irrigate/chop/mine at the new city asap. (a connection between CERN and 2nd city is also very important (trade routes, moving units...))
    That way I would build a 2nd worker im 98% of my games before building a setttler.

Concerning the peaks, I'm with you. They appear a little handmade...
    This looks a little like a crafted chkepoint. I want to know more about it. Further I expect contact there quite early.

10. topas

topas Prince

I agree with Hummel, while I would consider agri before the wheel.
    Concerning the 3rd worker I'm also not so sure. Maybe build it after the settler...

agri./.tw
    I think agri will be very helpful for our 2nd city... if it covers the 2nd rice even more...

11. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Also This is the turn (Topas, Hummel)
    1. Ari heals
    2. Pyt north
    3. Worker goes 4
    4. CERN builds worker.

please vote
    I play in 8-9 hours

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

1. heal
    2. 8
    3. 4
    4. worker

:thumbsup:

13. topas

topas Prince

I'm fine with the turn as proposed by HUSch :)

I would prefer moving Pyt 1 more turn to the south to have a good look from the hill, but if the majority wants to go north right away, that's ok.

14. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

A third worker is too many, and would soon have nothing to do.

I'd need to know what the city site is before deciding if a 2nd worker is needed.

I plan for 250+ turn games. Over that time period, it seems that clear cutting is bad. The total hammers over that time scale is longer with the trees standing. Even waiting until math is twice as good as chopping everything immediately.

15. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

My experiences from a lot of PBEMs, Pitboss- and high-level-SP-games is contrarious.

You need 1.5 to 2.0 worker per city to develop them as fast as possible. This is profitable and you have at the earliest possible date the break-even-point of the worker-investment.

Second, chopping in the early turns gives a much higher return than chopping later in the game (even with math). For example two wood-tiles are nearly one worker and four wood-tiles are one settler. So if I look at our city with 13 wood-tiles I see two wooden-workers and two wooden-settlers, who can work nearly the whole game respectively found two early citys. And this are only bonus-investments to the normal settler and worker production. If you compare a civilization that chops the wood and one that doesn't do this you have on the one hand an automobile and on the other a horse-drawn carriage.

Your argument with math: The wooden-worker without math is more expensive than with math, but he has got much more turns to work off his higher costs. If we are ten turns before math we can think about chop now or later - but not at this time.

Your argument with late-game-production: I count 6 hills in our city-cross. That's enough.

The health argument: We are expansiv and must not care about health-problems.

I f we want to win this game, we have to grow and expand as fast as possible. And chopping is an important part of this.

16. topas

topas Prince

I basically agree with Hummel concerning chopping.
    (altough my experience is just from high-level-SP (immortal+deity))

In rare cases (no hills=prod in bfc or massive flood plains start) it might be a good ides not to chop, but not with this start.
    If I can get 2 extra settlers and 2 extra workers at the start, I will usually take them asap.
    The two reasons NOT to chop are:
    - health: no problem here - we are coastal (=harbor), have fresh water, are expansive and have no negatives from terrain (flood plains)
    - production: no problem here - 6 GL-hills+spice+CC give us early 20 base production, which is good. Late game, when lumbermills are available, the cottages on the formerly forrest-tiles have grown to towns and give 1 hammer in US plus the 8 commerce in FS can be converted into production (buy-rush) when neccessary. (That way FS+US-towns can "produce" even more hammers than lumbermill after railroads.)

17. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

I 've played
    fishing researched. Pyt sees nothing new (clear)