1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3960 AD - turn 2

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by HUSch, Dec 4, 2008.

1. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

What to do?
    No change in City etc

We must decide the move of the warrior. I vote for NE my favorite.

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Why move NE? That will only reveal 1 tile, in the direction of the Jungle. Better move it to the hill SE - this will reveal 8 tiles, better scouting for second city.

3. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

peter
    the hill is in the CC, also with culturel expandation we will see it. Long before we want to found the next city.

It's not so good to go from hill to hill, because the warrior must go straight in one direction.
    If you want SE, ok; it' same as good, but not the reason behind. The reason must be look for land and the other (this is most important).
    We make now the decision and then go in that direction (til the end), i think. We 've another warrior at home.

4. topas

topas Prince

Either move 9 as HUSch proposed (and 9 again in turn 2) or we move 3 (followed by 3 and 9 (jungle hill)).
    Our second warrior can explore SW of our capital after that.

HUSch
    Using hills as far as possible will reveal more territory as long as we keep a general direction.

btw
    3960 BC is in BtS turn 1 not turn 2;)
    Maybe a mod can change the title of the thread.

5. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Let's decide a search pattern. Two major types of search:

Spiral / circle reveals land in our vicinity and allows us to plan for the future.
    Straight line, to make contact with someone.

If we're looking at land, then NE, SE or NE, NE, SE (9,3 or 9,9,3).
    With deviations for hills where it improves it.

6. crashcrush

crashcrush Chieftain

It seems like regardless of whether you want to survey more land or contact other civs moving SE to the hill for the next turn is the best bet.

7. James009

James009 Warlord

I have to agree with the SE movement plan to that hill. I'd suggest that we reveal the immediate surrounding area, like a circle, and then start our search outward from the south.

That way we will reveal our immediate surroundings and give us a direction to go from there.

8. DaveShack

Here are two comparison circle patterns, going NE first or SE first.
    The NE path reveals more tiles over 6 turns than the SE path does.

The attractiveness of the hill is an illusion. Sure it shows us more tiles this turn, but once we've gone that way there is no way to reveal the tiles to the north and northeast of there without backtracking. Since we have 14 turns before we need to know if/where the copper is, there is actually enough time to go an additional tile NE before turning SE, and explore another 1-2 tiles N, E, and S.

Attached Files:

9. topas

topas Prince

Our first warrior should either go NE (along the coast) or SE.
    Maybe moving 3-3-9-9 then further in the generell direction NE could be a good option.
    We get to know a little more about the SE (a bit more because we will be on top of hills twice).

A completely circular pattern is not required to explore the surrounding lands because we'll have our second warrior pretty soon to cover up some more tiles.

I think we should explore the tiles in the south and the southwest of our cap with our second warrior.

10. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

That is an illusion, if the next step/tile will be no hill, then we see nothing new with the next step.
    In turn 18-19 we will build a next warrior, he must and can look the nearer tiles.
    We win nothing now with the exploration near our capital. We 've til down only to move the warrior. In my opinion he should go 10 steps at least in one direction; there are 3 possibilities
    1. NE
    2. SE
    3. E, if this, then 99 33 99 33

Daves exploration-plan is good for the second warrior.

11. topas

topas Prince

We are up.

I'd also fine with heading NE with the warrior...
    HUSch's argument is correct. We can still explore SE (and SW) with our second warrior.

12. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

Ne

13. DaveShack

I have followed both strategies, a straight line or an outside ring circle. I support either one, done correctly. :) The circle example was just to explain that if we go that way it would be a mistake to run it too near our territory. :D

For a straight line exploration I'm torn between NE and E. E stays in the north temperate band, NE will angle towards the arctic. (assuming the geography isn't modified a lot) Where is another team more likely to be?

If we do the local exploration with a 2nd warrior it has to be a tad closer so he can beat an invader home, or we have to pre-build one and/or be able to whip. A 2nd warrior circle would be better done W->SW->SE->NE since we have done nothing that direction yet.

14. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Ok, I've been convinced :)

I'm fine with the first warrior going NE, NE, SE, SE, NE, NE, etc.

The second warrior will be used to scout around our capital for a good location for the second city, hopefully revealing the location of copper.

15. Rantamplanzzz

Rantamplanzzz Chieftain

I suport the idea of going in straigth line until we find something, strigth line sugested of SE-SE-NE-NE-SE-SE (drunken stright line)its ok for me but any other will do.

16. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

I think we are support to do our turn now, but I don't have a clue to move NE (9) or SE (3). Now what? (19 hours left)

17. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Now what?

We wait for HUSch to play the save ;)

18. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Why, some reasons please.

btw
    1. I must not play.
    2. You must not wait of me.
    3. What move should the warrior do:

9 or 3

19. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

Looking at above, seems like most believe we should do 9.

20. JoeyDawt

JoeyDawt Chieftain

I would be more inclined to move to 9 aswell