3D imports from other games, software

Padmewan

King
jojoweb has done some cool stuff importing 3D objects from such sources as Morrowind and Zoo Tycoon, which got me thinking... I've asked but no one here seems to have SimCity 4, which could also have potential import possibilities. Here's another site that has all sorts of 3D models, developed in 3D Studio Max, which therefore leads me to believe that MAYBE they can imported as well (or perhaps we could go a-beggin' to the creators for an export into .nif or whatever?)

I'm sure there are a ton of other games with 3D models, but the question I guess is whether they are compatible with Civ4's .nif format.

Thoughts, anyone?

Here, for example, is a .3DS file extracted from one of the downloads on that site. It's some kind of interceptor from one of the Star Trek worlds. The entire file had textures and all that, too, but the model seems to be the hardest part for us to create, right?

Attachments

• interceptor.zip
    299.8 KB · Views: 50
There is not difficulty with making it compatible with Civilization at all! The main issue is what file format the original 3D objects you want to have, and if there is a plugin for importing them. if there is a plugin for importation, we can take all imported objects and export them to the .NIF file format. If a mesh has animations, then we can set it up pretty easily and have it in game in no time, but the only problem with animations is if the plugin imports the animations in the first place. If you can tell me the File format for what you want to convert i might be able to help.

Padmewan said:
Here, for example, is a .3DS file extracted from one of the downloads on that site. It's some kind of interceptor from one of the Star Trek worlds. The entire file had textures and all that, too, but the model seems to be the hardest part for us to create, right?
If you can supply me the .3DS ill have a look at it, post it on the site.

Edit: Ok got it, ill check it out.

WOW pretty high poly count! The textures are needed seperately soo we can make them .DDS but if theres a way of extracting textures from 3DS Max please tell me how(also with textures, this thing uses about 10 different textures, not soo good). Other than that, I Exported it to .NIF format with nothing special. there is no animations.

Attachments

• Interceptor.zip
    345.6 KB · Views: 60
Wow, thanks for humoring me Killamike. Is it safe to say that reducing poly count is almost as hard as creating a model to begin with?

These models I was pulling from a community-sharing space for some kind of software that renders the stars. There's an entire "Fiction" section though I'd gone there looking for planet textures.

SimCity4 meshes, tho, would be specifically designed for a game. It's just you need to have the game to be able to play with the building designer to know what format it uses. I was going to go send jojoweb a copy of SimCity 4 since he was willing to take a look at it.

Hey Killamike, is the SC Mod team going to share any of its buildings and units with other teams?

Of course Definantly!!! Although some of the buildings and units we are going to use (which will be released sometime this week) are from another game community, not created by me (Warcraft 3). But I asked him and he gave us full permission for the use of his stuff. I really dont think of different MOD "Teams", but rather were one big happy community createing stuff we'd like to play!

"Sharing is Caring, IT CAN be fun" - Quote by Care Bears

Well I'll sure be looking forward to anything you've pulled for StarCraft! We could use some more unit models in our mod.

Killamike718 said:
"Sharing is Caring, IT CAN be fun" - Quote by Care Bears
Are we dating ourselves, here? Or are Care Bears something that kids today would actually know about? ;)

I have Sim City 4, if you're interested in models. I have a buggy unpacking utility, so if you know of a good one, I could possibly supply you with models.

lord_eru said:
I have Sim City 4, if you're interested in models. I have a buggy unpacking utility, so if you know of a good one, I could possibly supply you with models.
Hmmm... doesn't SimCity 4 come with some kind of building editor? I was browsing around on Simtropolis and downloaded a file to see what was inside. The biggest file, which I assume holds the 3D model, had no extension so I couldn't guess what format it was in. Thanks for looking into this!

I d/led some more and saw some had a .SC4MODEL extension, and the "props" had a .DAT extension. Not that these mean anything, really...

OK, sorry to harp on this, but hey, if there's stuff out there we can use, why not use it? Here is the official Maxis guide to the Building Architect Tool, which apparently relies on "GMAX," a free version of 3DS Max? Could such a thing be true... and could it generate .NIF files???

Nope... looks like they discontinued GMAX in October 2005. Wonder if there are bootleg copies floating around, esp. considering it was free. Has this already been discussed to death?

IIRC GMAX worked by games comanies buying licences for a plugin for their game, so that people could mod graphics for the game for free.

As far as I am aware you cannot use it to export to any meaningful file format.

i know where to find gmax

its at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax trust me they still haveit cuz i used to use it to mod halo
also you need to register *shock and appaul* JK but you do need 2 register to get the registration code so you can use it the code will be emailed to u or at least a link 2 the page where its at

so yea with Gmax just export it 2 sumthin that blender will open if u have blender and you can improt it into ther and u know the works

I don't get it, I have SimCity 4, I had success extracting the models contained in the first .dat files, but they are all in one .3dm file.

How can I open that, I suppose gmax should be able but I couldn't open them with it.

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom