3rd and 4th Unique Components for VP - Official thread

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Apr 22, 2018.

1. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

The Golden Spurs bonus is applied at the end of the turn, yes. You could say it is thematic, since the Flemish victory at Courtrais was thanks to considerable planning and field preparation beforehand. *shrugs*
    impossible. Defense can't be manipulated like culture or gold. It's static on a building. So unless you want to have 10 buildings visible in the UI called WAAG_DUMMY, which each give 1:c5strength:, then you'll have to settle.
    The market is a prerequisite. The OP was wrong. It's thematic, since the weigh house was always placed next to the market so people could have their goods weighed and guaranteed before proceeding to set up shop.

2. adan_eslavo

adan_eslavo Archmage of all Pixels Supporter

Ok, I pushed v34.2 update with India fix and previous Sea Beggar fix.

3. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Yay! Will be giving India a spin, as super-wide India is a definite favourite to play :)

4. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I hope this thing goes gold soon... these last 2 updates have changed an absurd amount of stuff. It would be nice when we can get back to balance tweaks and bugfixes...

adan_eslavo and Hinin like this.
  5. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Unless I am completely mistaken, the file in the newest zip is still v.34 base and not v.34.2 (just took it and started a game, but noticed that Qila still gave a stupid amount of defense). Which, had I been intelligent, I would have double-checked *before* playing a super-wide India for ten hours. -.-

6. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Hmm... uh oh
    The update contains the qila fix...
    Code:
    if pCity:IsHasBuilding(GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_INDIA_QILA) then
            local iDefenseChange = (pCity:GetNumWorldWonders() + pCity:GetNumNationalWonders())
            pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_DUMMY_1_DEFENSE, iDefenseChange)
    end

How much defense are you actually getting? It's counting your national wonders too, eh?

EDIT: now that I take another look at that code, it could be further simplified...
    Code:
    if pCity:IsHasBuilding(GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_INDIA_QILA) then
            pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_DUMMY_1_DEFENSE, (pCity:GetNumWorldWonders() + pCity:GetNumNationalWonders()))
    end

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  7. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Yeah, I was still getting raw +500 defense for the five (at that point) wonders (world and national) I had. Realized at that point that I should've double-checked.

'Course, as usual, do make sure I'm not just talking out of my rear end here, with the version.

8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

The old one and the new one are labelled the exact same, no change in file names, unfortunately.
    I just installed the new version, and I can confirm that it is up to date and SHOULD have the fix for Qila.
    You can check your own install. Unpack it if you haven't already, then go to India/Qila/Qila.lua

Line 13 should read local iDefenseChange = (pCity:GetNumWorldWonders() + pCity:GetNumNationalWonders())
    If it reads: local iDefenseChange = 100 * (pCity:GetNumWorldWonders() + pCity:GetNumNationalWonders()), then you have the old version

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  9. Giza

Giza Chieftain

Hi. I updated to the new version yesterday. I tried a civ without 4UC support (from Blue Ghost's Fire Emblem civpack) and found that i'm getting a free floating garden after the first turn. I'm guessing this may be caused by the "Generic Bonus". I don't understand exactly why i'm getting a floating garden, but when I manually add the custom civ in Civilization_4UCSupport, it solves the problem (although this removes the generic bonus).

10. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Seems I have the old version then. Something somewhere on my end went odd. Oh well.

Right now I am returning to something I tried way back when, but did not quite succeed: see how good Pracinha is if I go late-game conquering. So far, so good, at least.

Will return to India later.

11. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

The next patch is adding some new toys for defensive buildings. I think this gives us the tools we need to shake up a few of the buildings. Specifically, I think Barbican and Lamassu Gate are up for review.
    For Austria's Schutzenstand, We add the base changes (+10 healing for garrison, +1 city attack range on arsenals, science theft block, more supply cap)
    For India's Qila, we add the base change (+25% city attack damage)
    For Assyria: We reduce the HP to the base +50hp of a wall, and give +25% city attack damage, on top of the +1 attack range
    For Barbican: We add +33% city attack damage to match the +33% RCS it gives to garrisons

12. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Those changes sound about right. Will then probably postpone my India testing 'til after that patch.

On another note, might get more musings from me in the future, as I sadly came to the realization that my computer can't handle Huge/Marathon games without crashing (repeatedly) around Renaissance. Just too much stuff in game by that point. So I'm switching to Large maps, which will inevitably speed up testing a bit.

(Fun fact: I have not finished a winning game since sometime Spring...)

13. Jarula

Jarula King

Rome needs a fix latisfundia are too weak and too rare... Maybe make them available anywhere or adjacent like chateaus but their yields are too weak compared to other UI.

Maybe perhaps make all their buffs happen before midieval or more similar to garamantes foggera

14. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Should something get taken off the Lamassu Gate to make room for the +25 city strike damage? I was thinking I could set the city defense to +5, down from the +10? That would keep them more in line with their "best defense is a good offense" feel.
    I have had a lot of fun with the Latifundia, but the game I played with them I had a Wine monopoly on my starting position, and Indonesia was on my continent. There's enough chances for plantations on the map, as long as you prioritize them with your settling, but I found that the +1:c5production: on farms was not really useful.
    I'm considering adding +1:c5production: to the base latifundia and removing the farm adjacency bonus. It's too similar to terrace farm. This would also give it parity to the Herbalist bonus which the figs enjoy.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  15. Jarula

Jarula King

Actually considering on average start there are 3 luxories of which 50/50 they will be plantations they are weaker than chateaus.

Y not try the move all yield improvements earlier.

So far it's 1 f 1 c 2 g by midieval why not make it 2f 2p 2g 2c no industrial boost no renaissaRen boost. That makes Rome masters of early game... But by late game so so.

So far the figs are the best part more likely to work figs than the latisfundia...

Or make figs get +1f +1c from granary... And latisfundia +1f +1c +1p

Sounds op but latisfundia are rare on maps...

16. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Currently trying a Rome game, but at least so far it seems I'll have plenty of places to put Latifundia on (even though my starting monopoly seems to be Gold). Playing Rome, after all - if you don't have those resources, someone next to you likely does. Bring your Legions over for a little neighbourly chat, and problem solved.

As far as yields go, I'm not really far enough to comment on those, though I would probably make it just give a bonus to the plantation(so skip the farm bonus) and make the improvement itself get good yields by late game. We have enough UIs that deal heavily with adjacency bonuses, anyway.

17. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

No.

First off, you have mis-represented the timing of the tech yield changes. They come earlier than you are saying. the +2:c5gold: is in classical, and there's a +1:c5production: in medieval.

Second, You are ignoring that latifundia are already placed on a resource, which has its own yields, those yields are improved by a building of their own (ie. latifundium on incense gets +1:c5culture: from the resource and +1:c5gold:/:c5culture: from temple), and maybe even more yields from a monopoly tile bonus. Comparing Latifundia to chateaus is unhelpful, chateaus come 2 eras later, and work very differently.

Third, yes, the figs are great. Because they are part of the latifundium. It's a UI that covers 2 tiles.
    The latifundium is more than 1:c5food:1:c5culture:. At Calendar, assuming an incense resource, it's 3:c5food:2:c5production:3:c5culture: and a free tile. It takes 2:c5citizen: to work, however, so that's 1.5:c5food:,1:c5production: and 1.5:c5culture: per :c5citizen:.

And what if latifundia AREN'T rare on maps? If you can get >3 plantations on a single single city then that city is going to do a lot of work for you.

You are angling for Rome to become a complete monster in Classical. I have no interest in breaking the game's balance to indulge your role-playing, but you are more than welcome to modify Rome to be the way you want it to be on your local install. If you want to make the latifundium as strong as you want, then we have given you all the tools you need to do so.
    Yeah, we spent an absurd amount of time working out how this improvement was going to work. So much so, that I think it ended up being a bit over-designed. I'm going to remove the farms bonus, but at the moment I remain on the fence as to whether to add an additional yield onto the latifundium itself. Either +1:c5food: or +1:c5production:, for a total of either 2:c5food:1:c5culture: or 1:c5food:1:c5production:1:c5culture:. I'm leaning toward the 2:c5food:1:c5culture: right now because it looks different from hacienda and helps differentiate more from plantation, which gets the +1:c5production: from herbalist. My one misgiving is that more :c5production: synergizes better with the UA.

18. Jarula

Jarula King

Maybe since I mostly play ynaemp that might be the issue... But on regular maps they are still rare in comparison to most like let's say kuna or even kasbah.

You are right about the roleplaying thing but not game breaking maybe less but the point I was making foggiera is 5 3f2c off the start. Kuna is 3.

Latisfundia is 2 but plantion is also 2 if I remember correctly.

Problem I'm having is the figs don't get yield improvements aside from herbalist.

Prolly +1 food would more than suffice.

19. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

That's a pretty apples and oranges comparison

Latifundium unlocks at Calendar (3 techs min). Foggara is unlocked at engineering (13 tech min) and Kuna at Masonry (6 techs min). Kuna requires non-adjacent jungle, and Foggara requires non-adjacent desert, meaning both are zone-locked, whereas Latifundium is more or less global. Yes, there are games where you could get as many as 13 Kuna on a single city, but with resources getting in the way and a jungle requirement, you're more likely to get no more than 5-6 in even the best cities. And if you try to go global with your empire, there is a significant number of cities which will have 0-2 Kuna. Since desert is even less common than forest/jungle, it works out even worse for Foggara.

I still don't have a lot of love for the new Foggara design... I think the original desert hills requirement was core to the Foggara's real-world equivalent, and I was sad to see it changed to any desert/no-adjacent...
    They get +1:c5food:/:c5production:/:c5gold: from Grocer

20. Jarula

Jarula King

**** lol my game always crashes before then.