3rd Expansion Civs and Features

cosmicmangobear

Warlord
Given that the leaked Gathering Storm roster has been accurate so far, it’s safe to say that we know the lineup already. (RECAP: Hungary, Maori, Canada, Inca, Carthage, Mali, Ottomans, Sweden, and alternate leader Eleanor of Aquitaine.) However, cryptic allusions to more content down the line for Civ 6 and the glaring omission of series staples suggest a 3rd Expansion in the works for later on.

If one were to come out, which civs and mechanics missing from the game would you like to see included? Throw out your best ideas and suggestions and maybe the Firaxis gods will take heed of our prayers!

Updated:

Byzantium
Leader: Irene
Capital: Constantinople
UU: Dromon (Quadrireme)
UI: Hippodrome (Arena)

Colombia
Leader: Simon Bolivar
Capital: Bogota
UU: Llanero (Cavalry)
UI: Hacienda

Ethiopia
Leader: Zewditu
Capital: Addis Ababa
UU: Oromo Warrior (Slinger)
UI: Cafe (Market)

Italy
Leader: Cesare Borgia
Capital: Florence
UU: Condottieri (Pikeman)
UI: Piazza (Commercial Hub)
———
Alt. Leader: Andrea Gritti
Alt. Capital: Venice

Maya
Leader: Six Sky
Capital: Naranjo
UU: Atlatl (Spearman)
UI: Stela (Shrine)

Navajo
Leader: Manuelito
Capital: Window Rock
UU: Windtalker (Spec Ops)
UI: Hogan

Portugal
Leader: Sebastian
Capital: Lisbon
UU: Nau (Caravel)
UI: Celeiro (Granary)

Vietnam
Leader: Le Loi
Capital: Hanoi
UU: Vietminh (Infantry)
UI: Water Puppet Theatre (Amphitheatre)

Features:

Corporations and Economic Victory
The capitalism civic unlocks the “Charter Corporation” ability in Great Merchants. After attracting a great merchant, move them to a commercial hub to be your “Headquarters”. Upon founding a corporation, select an industry (fishing [crabs, fish, turtles], mining [gold, silver, copper] , agriculture [coffee, bananas, spices], textile [sheep, cotton, silk], energy [coal, oil, uranium] etc.) then choose a mission statement (i.e. what kind of bonuses does this corporation grant from obtaining relevant resources), and lastly choose a PR strategy that allows you to access foreign and domestic markets. Once your corporation has enough influence over a foreign corporation, you can send an executive to a competing civs HQ and perform a merger. Economic Victory comes from merging with all competing corporations to gain a monopoly.

Dynamic Barbarians
More advanced interactions with barabarians including the ability to recruit them as mercenaries to attack land units, pirates to attack enemy ships and coastal cities, vassals to work in your cities temporarily, bandits to plunder trade routes, terrorists to cause mayhem in enemy cities, vandals to pillage enemy districts, test subjects to boost scientific research, or refugees to increase your diplomatic standing.

Health and Disease
Overcrowding, pollution, lack of water, and trade routes with unhealthy civilizations can decrease the health of your cities. Combat this with the new Medical Ward district (Apothercary > Infirmary > Hospital) or by sending Great Healers, Shamans, Doctors and Nurses into your cities, and by researching new technologies and implementing health policies. If health drops too much, your civilization experiences a pandemic that will have disastrous results on your population.

Public Opinion
Upon unlocking new policies, certain voter blocs will have competing agendas (i.e. soldiers may want you to implement one policy at the expense of a policy your merchants want passed). If a certain bloc is unhappy with your decision it will harm public opinion of you in your civ, loyalty will drop, and citizens and units will become less effective. As civics progress and you unlock new blocs and governments, that will radically affect the way you pass policies. For example. democratic governments must yield to public opinion, but your citizens remain loyal vs fascists who pass whatever legislation they want at the expense of public opinion but the risk of rebellion is much higher). If your public opinion drops too low, you risk a brand new way to lose the game, a coup.

Colonies
When establishing cities on other continents, you must keep them loyal to the mother civ. They will require more work to keep, but they wield powerful benefits. However, colonies will become much harder to maintain as the eras progress and they want independence. If your colonies do rebel, they will declare themselves a commonwealth and function as minor nation akin to several city states united one rule.

Last edited:
In order of must-haveness, these are the civs I'd expect to see -

Portugal (Henry the Navigator) - hugely important civ, kicked off the age of discovery, the OG european colonial power.
Maya (Lady Six Sky) - civ staple, very important civ in their region, female leader potential.
Ethiopia (Menelik or Makeda) - we need at least one African civ, and Ethiopia is the obvious choice. Other possibilities - Ashanti, Maputo, Merina and many others.
Vietnam (Le Loi) - we are well overdue for an east asian or south east asian civ (none in GS?!). Vietnam is a popular request and a recognisable name for the general public. Other possibilities - Siam, Burma.
Navajo (Barboncito) - we will definitely get at least one NA indigenous civ, probably something from the south-western part of the US. Though I would not rule out the Iroquois (Jigonhsasee) due to familiarity.

Beyond that we have the civ staples (though hopefully we get at least one off-the-wall choice).

Byzantines (Justinian)
Austria (Maria Theresa) - because you can never underestimate Firaxis' interest in european civs.
Babylon (Hammurabi) - I suspect Sumeria was intended to replace them, but by exp 3 they may be back in contention. Alternative - Assyria (Semiramis)

If there is 3rd expansion..they may go and add half of missing civs through DLC scenarios , but lets assume that 3rd xpac coming so...

New Victory type , maybe economic one through corporations , or something else at all , I think new victory type thread could be made to disscuss ideas what could it be.
This game severely lacking scenarios ,if you adding Sparta and Athens as separate civs...where is our pelloponessan war scenario ? Mongol conquest ? at least we getting WW1 I think with GS , what about WW2 ? Any Rome scenario ? End of world modern scenario eh ?

Now as for Civs then:
Italy - Caterina Sforza. Actually any cultural leader since rennaisance Italy was culture powerhouse.
Byzantium/East Roman Empire - Justinian ,Theodora. Prefer a leader from era before they lost Anatolia to Seljuks and before crusades.
Assyria/Babylon/Mitanni/Hittites/Elam/Akkad- Got room for one from this ancient region I think ,I would pick Elam , but most logical is prob Assyria.
Egypt alt leader - way to many great choice to pick from ancient Egypt.
Madagascar - Ranavalona. Ethiopia is also a choice. And if firaxis wants sales then Nigeria or South Africa with Nelson Mandela.
Gran Colombia/Argentina/Muisca conf - like with ancient fertile crescent civs , room only for one. I prefer Argentina as spanish colony , since we have Brazil as portugal colony..and speaking about portugal.
Portugal - Joao/John II - adding Brazil before Portugal is...just going for sales strategy. I hope.
Maya - Lady Six Sky , we all want Mayans and we all want that female leader.
iroquois - or actually any indians civ need more then one that we have now.

There are plenty of other choices but just not enough room , and multi leader feature so far was used badly, 8 great alt leader civs can be easily released just for that expanssion.

Add a new era in the first half of the game: either a nomadic era before the usual game start or a Dark Ages era (with a different name ;))

There are a lot of mechanics possible, but I fear all Firaxis would do with a 3rd expansion is cluttering stuff on top of the existing systems instead of changing things and create interaction and meaningful decisions. Adding an era before game start seems a good way to add new things and enter new terrain for the series without overload of unnecessary/badly implemented mechanics. It could also come with unique gameplay mechanics for tribally or rather nomadic organized civs.

I don't believe in a 3rd expansion anyway. I rather hope for a few DLCs adding requested civs.

I could imagine a focus on Revolutions and Colonies, maybe also including Religious Schisms.

I could also imagine more of a scenario/variant focus like the old CivII Fantastic Worlds pack, maybe introducing things like optional fantasy elements.

For Civs, I agree that Portugal and the Maya is very likely, as well as either Babylon of Assyria and another African and North American Civ.

While Ethiopia is obvious, it’s very close geographically to Nubia. I’d prefer something new like Zimbabwe or a return to Morocco.

For Native Americans, I agree that the Southwest could work, but there’s also a gap of any natives in the Eastern US. I’d vote for the Cherokee.

Beyond that, I know they’ll add more for Europe. Its already very crowded, but I’d go for Italy.

For a second leader Civ, I’d like a more modern French option or an Islamic Persian.

Well my list would almost be identical to the OP in terms of Civs.

Maya
Leader: Lady Six Sky
UU: Yaomitl (Mayan word for Atlatl and can be a ranged spearman replacement)
UI: Triadic Pyramid (Built on rainforest and produces science, faith, and culture)

Portugal
Leader: Joao II
UU: Nau (Caravel replacement)
UI: Feitora (built on coast adjacent to luxury)

Assyria
Leader: Ashurbanipal
UU: Siege Engine (Ancient Catapult replacement that's melee)
UI: Scribal School (Replaces Library and can hold a great work of writing slot)
Alternatively if we wanted to combine Assyria and Babylon into Akkadia led by Sargon, I wouldn't necessarily mind that way we could at least get Babylon and Assyrian cities though it would be another somewhat mythical leader.

Italy
Leader: Francesco Sforza
UU: Condotierri (medieval light cav unit that can only be bought with gold)
UI: Galleria (Art museum replacement though Opera House would work but I would rather that be a general building anyone can build)

Colombia
Leader: Simon Bolivar
UU: Llanero
UI: Lancero School (Military Academy Replacement)

Navajo
Leader: Annie Dodge Wauneka (She wasn't a chief but a very influential member of the Navajo Council known for her work in education and healthcare, which the latter I would like to be a new mechanic to deal with diseases and plagues.)
UU: Codetalker (Spec Ops Replacement)
UI: (Ceremonial) Hogan (Replaces Granary or Improvement or new building replacement for health district?)

Vietnam
Leader Trung Trac
UU: Holy Cannon (replaces Field Cannon)
UI: Ancestral Shrine (Replaces Shrine and provides culture as well)

Ethiopia
Leader: Ezana
UU: Mehal Sefari (Unique Industrial Era melee unit that gets combat strength against Civs that are at least two eras ahead)
UI: Monolithic Church (Unique Worship Building which provides a relic slot)

Alt Leader: Justinian for Rome (I'd like for the Byzantines to be their own Civ but the precedent so far has been four returning and four new and I didn't want to get so European heavy. But my idea would for his ability to make it like you are playing a separate Byzantine Empire)
LA (Last of the Romans): Start the game with Code of Laws and an extra Economic slot in any government. Gain combat strength when attacking cities that used to be under your control. Gain the Droman as your UU.
UU: Dromon

Here is my wish list

Finland
Johan Julius Christian Sibelius (commonly known as Jean Sibelius)
Civilization Theme Song: Finlandia or Spring Song
Unique Buildings: Sibelius Academy (formerly Helsinki Music Institute) and Sauna
Great Wonder: Vyborg Library or Ainola (the house where Sibelius lived)
Unique Unit: Something related to music or the environment (Sibelius loved nature).
Great Works: Kallevala (Finnish epic) and maybe a Sibelius Musical Composition like the Karelian Suite.
Leader Agenda: Freemasonry (Sibelius was a Freeman) and Environmentalism (Sibelius loved and was often inspired by Nature)

Alternate Finnish Leader:
Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Civilization Theme Song: Jaeger March by Sibelius or the national Anthem
Unique Building: Vyborg Cathedral
World Wonder: Vyborg Castle or Mannerheim line
Unique Units: Finnish Jaeger (operating as Ski troops) or a Cav Unit since Mannerhein was an ex Cavalry Officer.
Great Works: Sammon taonta (artwork)
Leader Ability: Sisu (units defending in Friendly territory get a defense bonus and attackers get a warmongering penalty)
Leader Agenda: Serve the fatherland without selfish motives.

Alternate American Leader
Charles Augustus Lindbergh
Theme Song: Something aviation related
Unique Unit: Spirit of St. Louis
Unique Building: Lindbergh Terminal (airport with special abilities)
World Wonder: St. Paul Cathedral (can't think of anything better)
Great Works: None
Special Events: Winter Carnival or State Fair
Leader Ability: Something Aviation related (even though the AI is awful at building and using an Air force) or something related to the environment
Leader Agenda: Non Intervention and America First or the environment

Other Leader suggestion

Huron Indian Tribe
Charles Martel (Franks)
Rollo of Normandy (Normans)
King Louis XIV (Royal France)
Martin Luther (Germany)

Naturally I'd love to see staples return, like Portugal, the Maya or Babylon, but one civ in particular I'd very much enjoy to see represented for certain, in a later game if not in this potential third expansion, is Sápmi/the Sámi. While they would be an European civ, they would offer a greater uniqueness in that they are a traditionally nomadic, indigenous people mostly situated in the Arctic, rather than an established state like all the other European civs are.

There has never been a single ruler of all the Sámi, but Firaxis already has a history of featuring people as rulers of civs though they never reached that specific position. (see Gandhi, Tomyris or both Greek leaders) I believe the most optimal candidate would be Elsa Laula, a South Sámi activist and politician who was very active in both Sweden and Norway, arguing and fighting for the Sámi people's educational, economic, political and cultural rights. It is regrettable that her English Wikipedia article doesn't do her work justice - the Norwegian article is longer and much more elaborate.

I am more unsure about the unique unit. Maybe something akin to the Sámi Civ5 mod's Boazovázzi, a ranged replacement for the Scout which could herd resources for food and production, temporarily removing them from the map. Either that or the Noaidi, the shaman in traditional Sámi religion. The obvious choice for unique infrastructure would be the lavvu, a temporary dwelling similar to the Native American tipi, which could be a unique improvement with some kind of adjacency bonus to camps and protection from blizzards. The goahti could also be an option.

Additionally, and sentimentally, I'd love to hear what Geoff Knorr or Roland Rizzo could do using the joik.

I know it may not be plausible but I think the Inuit should be included. No civ can currently thrive on snow tiles just like most people consider the Arctic Circle uninhabitable. Canada and Russia can make tundra work for them but not snow. The Inuit have lived in the circumpolar region from Siberia to Greenland for thousands of years. They’re so unique in comparison to other indigenous peoples too. They build igloos, use dog sleds, throat singing similar to Mongolian or Tibetan styles, built the original kayak, and have been able to preserve many traditions and the Inuktitut language. They’re not an obvious group but I think with all the additions to Gathering Storm they could really fit the new expansion. I’d add seals as a global resource too.

Finally a topic for me :goodjob: I've been sitting on these ideas for a while and now's time to post them:

1. Assyria - Ashurbanipal
Civ Ability
: By the Rivers of Babylon
When capturing an enemy city, the lost population is distributed evenly amongst Assyria's other cities that have spare housing. 0.4 production for every citizen in a city. Loyalty pressure from Assyrian cities with an Established Governor spreads 3 tiles further than normal. Cannot build Warriors.
Leader Ability: Ashurbanipal's Library
All buildings that come with a slot for Great Works have one more slot. Museums are automatically themed then filled. Campus, Government Plaza and Theatre Square Districts and their buildings are built 50% faster if adjacent to a city centre. Gain +5% Science from all Great Works and Artifacts stored in cities with a Library.
Leader Agenda: Librarian
Wants to have as many Great Works, and likes Civs that have fewer Great Works. Dislikes Civs that own a greater amount of Great Works. Relics don't count towards this, but Artefacts do.
Unique Unit: Hupshu Militia:
Unique CounterCavalry unit. Cheaper than the Spearman it replaces. Unlocks at the start of the game. Receives +5 vs Melee units and +5 when in formation with a Battering Ram or Siege Tower. Upgrades into the Pikeman.
Unique Infrastructure: Karum
Unique Infrastructure. +2 Gold, +1 Adjacency bonus to districts. Provides +1 Gold, +1 Culture and +1 Food to all passing domestic trade routes and +2 Gold and +1 Production for all passing international trade routes. Must be built on a road and cannot be built adjacent to another Karum.
Capital: Assur
Start Bias: None
Prefered Religion: Zoroastrianism
Spoken Language: Assyrian (=Neo-Aramaic)

2. Bulgaria - Boris I
Civ Ability: Grobnitsi
Clearing a Barbarian camp within 10 tiles of Bulgaria's borders spawns an Antiquity Site on that tile. Antiquity Sites and Shipwrecks permanently add +1 adjacency and tourism to adjacent Bulgarian districts for every 2 eras after it has spawned. Clearing a Barbarian Camp or Excavating an Antiquity Site/Shipwreck has a 50% chance of spawning a Relic. Archaeologists unlock at The Enlightenment.
Leader Ability: Cyrillic Methods
When earning your first Great General, Great Writer or Great Prophet, instantly earn the other two. Relics add +50% pressure towards Bulgaria's state Religion. Missionaries and Apostles of Bulgaria's founded religion start with the Proselytizer promotion. +6 Combat strengths vs Civs that follow Bulgaria's state religion as their majority religion.
Leader Agenda: Council of Preslav.
Will try to keep his state religion as the majority religion in all of his cities. Likes Civs that have only one religion as their majority religion and hates Civs that follow multiple faiths at once.
Unique Unit: Boyar
Unique Heavy Cavalry, unlocks at Stirrups and replaces the Courser. +3 Combat strength, but -1 movement. Ignores movement penalties in hills. Gains +4 Combat strength when attacking flat lands from hills.
Unique Infrastructure: Chitalishte:
Unique building, replaces the Archaeological museum. Unlocks at the Enlightenment and instantly spawns an Archaeologist when completed. Artifacts stored in this building have their yields doubled.
Capital: Preslav
Start Bias: Hills
Prefered Religion: Eastern Orthodoxy
Spoken Language: Old Church Slavonic

3. Burma - Anawrahta
Civ Ability
: Irrawaddy
All features and tile improvements adjacent to a River provide +1 of their base yield. Tiles adjacent to a river act as Industrial Roads for determining Burmese unit movement. Receive +1 Era score from building Holy Sites, Aqueducts and Encampments in Burmese territory.
Leader Ability: Tatmadaw
Military units receive +5 combat strength while in a Golden Age and another +5 when fighting against foes in a worse Age than Burma. The Golden Age War Casus Belli is available in every era if Burma is in a Golden Age during that era. Receive +2 Era Score from killing unique units.
Leader Agenda: Arimaddanapura
Respects leaders that are at war in a Golden Age. Dislikes Leaders that are at peace during a Dark Age.
Unique Unit: Cassay Horseman
Unique Light Cavalry unit, unlocks at Feudalism. Has 40 melee combat strength and 4 movement. Has a ranged attack of 40 and a range of 2. Benefits from the Recon promotion tree. Can be upgraded into the Ranger at Rifling.
Unique Infrastructure: Paya
Unique building that replaces the Shrine. Grants all benefits of the Shrine, but adds +5% gold, faith and culture to the city for each follower of the majority religion.
Capital: Bagan
Start Bias: River
Prefered Religion: Buddhism
Spoken Language: Old Burmese

4. Ethiopia - Taytu Betul
Civ Ability
: Solomonic Lineage
Great Prophet Points and Faith are doubled in the Capital. Cities that follow Ethiopia's founded religion always have full loyalty. Districts on Hills receive double adjacency bonuses.
Leader Ability: Eternal Flower
Ethiopian units gain +1 Combat strength for every 10 grievances the enemy has earned with Ethiopia. Repealing resolutions costs 50% less diplomatic favour. Cities settled during or after the Industrial Era start with a free Granary and build districts 50% faster.
Leader Agenda: Treaty of Wuchiale.
Holds more grievances than other leaders and holds them longer. Likes Civs that vote with Ethiopia during World Congress proposals. Dislikes Civs that don't support the same interests.
Unique Unit: Oromo Warrior:
Unique melee unit, replaces the Musketman. Doesn't require Niter and is 50% cheaper when Ethiopia is in a defensive war. Gains +1 Combat strength for every technology or inspiration the enemy has researched, but Ethiopia has not.
Unique Infrastructure: Rock Church
Unique improvement, unlocks at Mysticism. +2 Faith and +2 Culture. Gain additional faith for each adjacent hill. +1 Amenity if adjacent to a Holy Site. Adjacent Quarries and Mines gain +1 Production. Must be built on hill. One per city.
Capital: Addis Ababa
Start Bias: Hills.
Prefered Religion: Eastern Orthodoxy
Spoken Language: Amharic with an Oromo accent

5. Maya - Lady Six Sky
Civ Ability
: Kuchkabal
Can sacrifice religious unit charges on a Chak Muul to delay the next Natural Disaster or Builder Charges to hurry the next one. Gain 15 Science and 25 Faith and lose 1 Era Score for each charge spent this way, scaling with the amount of temples present in the Chak Muul. Using the last charge doubles these amounts. City states you're the Suzerain of grant you a free Builder at the end of each Era. Grants the "Lakam Witz" building at Theology.
Leader Ability: Tzolk'In
Know 30 turns in advance when a Natural Disaster will happen. Receive double Era Score during Dark Ages. Golden and Heroic Ages grant double Envoys, double Diplomatic favour and immunity from natural disasters. Heroic Ages also grant the ability to capture enemy Religious units and turn defeated enemy units into builders.
Leader Agenda: Ahuacan
Likes Civilizations in a Dark, Golden or Heroic Age. Dislikes Civilizations in Normal Ages.
Unique Unit: Batab
Unique Ranged unit, replaces the crossbowman. Unlocks at Apprenticeship. Has no melee penalty. Units that attack a Batab in melee suffer residual damage equal to the damage they did to the Batab, spread over three consequetive turns.
Unique Infrastructure: Chak Muul
Unique District for the Mayans that replaces both the Campus and the Holy Site. The district and buildings in the district provide +1 Scientist and +1 Prophet point per turn. Has all the adjacency bonuses of a Holy Site and a Campus. All typical Campus and Holy Site buildings are replaced by unique Temples, which grant the same benefit as the buildings they replace, plus additional effects if you sacrifice charges:
Unique Temples:
*Shrine
to Bacab - Replaces the Shrine. +5 Faith and -1 Era Score from spent charges. Cannot be built if the district already has a Library.
*Garden of Ek Chuaj - Replaces the Library. +5 Science and -1 Era Score from Spent charges. Cannot be built if the district already has a Shrine.
*Court of Cuchumaquic - replaces the conventional temple. +15 Faith from and -1 Era Score from spent charges. Requires Shrine or Library. Cannot be built if the district as a University
*Clinic of Ix Chell - Replaces the University. +10 Science from spent charges and -1 Era Score from spent charges. Requires Shrine or Library. Cannot be built of the district has a Temple
*Altar of Kukulkan - Replaces the research lab. +30 science and -2 Era Score from spent charges. Requires Temple or University. Cannot be built if the city has a Lakam Witz
*Lakam Witz - Replaces the Worship Building. +5 Faith and +1 charge to all religious units and builders trained in the city. +30 Faith and -2 Era Score from spent charges. Requires Temple or University. Doesn't require a majority religion. Cannot be built if the city has a Research Lab.
Capital: Sa'aal
Start Bias: Rainforest
Prefered Religion: None (will chose randomly between Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism and Shinto)
Spoken Language: Ch'olt'i (which is poorly attested. Holes in the dialogue can be patched up with Yucatec, if need be.)

6. Morocco - Sayyida al-Hurra
Civ Ability
: Tamazigh
Trade routes provide +1 Food for each unique bonus resource and +1 Production for each unique strategic resource in either the receiving or sending city. +1 Food from Farms, Plantations and Pastures adjacent to an Oasis. Completing a Souq or a Harbour in a city grants +1 Trade Route capacity and a free Trader. No Trade Route Capacity from markets and lighthouses.
Leader Ability: Barbary Coast
Naval unit maintenance is halved. All naval units have a 66% chance to capture defeated naval units, 100% if the unit is a Naval Raider. Defeating a unit with a naval ship provides Gold equal to the defeated unit's combat strength. Receive triple gold from Pillaging trade routes and improvements with a Naval Raider. Grants the Corsair Unique unit.
Leader Agenda: Ghaziya:
Wants to keep as much gold in her treasury as possible. Dislikes leaders that have more gold and those that don't trade with Morocco. Likes leaders that trade with Morocco, give gifts to Morocco or have less money.
Unique Unit: Bedouin Raider
Unique Light Cavalry unit, replaces the Cavalry. +4 Combat strength vs other Light Cavalry.. Double movement in desert, desert hills and oasis. May move after attacking.
Unique Unit: Corsair
Unique Naval Raider for Morocco when Sayyida Al-Hurrah is their leader. 30 Strength and 4 movement. Unlocks at Naval Tradition. Ships defeated by this unit are always captured. No ranged attack. Upgrades into the Privateer.
Unique Infrastructure: Souq
Unique District for Morocco, replaces the Commercial Hub. Grants +1 Amenity for each luxury improved in cities connected to this city with a trade route. +1 Culture for each passing trade route.
Capital: Tatwan
Start Bias: Desert, Coast
Prefered Religion: Islam
Spoken Language: Berber & Formal Arabic (Bilingual)

7. Navajo - Manuelito
Civ Ability
: Hózhǫ́
Natural features add +1 appeal to all surrounding tiles and +1 of their primary yield if their appeal is Charming or higher. Appeal levels and base yields of natural features increase by +1 after developing the Conservation Civic. Barbarians cannot enter Navajo territory and Navajo tile improvements and districts cannot be pillaged if on a tile with breathtaking appeal. May not use (and is Immune to) Culture Bomb effects.
Leader Ability: Naaltsoos Sání
Civilian Units gain +2 movement and +1 Line of Sight.. All units gain +2 Strength for every level of appeal on their current tile. Hooghans and National Parks each provide their city with 50% additional loyalty pressure towards Free Cities.
Leader Agenda: The Long Walk.
Will not attack Free Cities. Sympathizes with Civs that lost territory through loyalty pressure or culture bomb. Dislikes Civs that gain territory through culture bombing or by conquering a Free City.
Unique Unit: Code Talker
Unique Spy replacement. Cheaper to build and starts with the Quartermaster Promotion.
Unique Infrastructure: Hooghan
Unique building for the Navajo, replaces the Granary. Adds +2 Faith and doubles the housing provided by improvements worked by this city.
Capital: Tségháhoodzání
Start Bias: Plains, Natural Wonders
Prefered Religion: None (Will choose randomly between Judaism, Protestantism, Sikhism and Taoism)
Spoken Language: Diné

8. Portugal - John I
Civ Ability
: Cartazes
Naval units and Recon units receive +2 movement speed and line of sight. Free Trading Post in the first city settled on a new continent. Gain a free Governor title each time you discover a new continent. Cities on foreign Continents with an Established Governor ignore foreign loyalty pressure.
Leader Ability: Illustrious Generation
Great Person Generation rate is doubled during Golden Ages. Receive a free naval unit each time you recruit a Great Admiral.
Leader Agenda: Father of the Navigator
Wants to explore as much of the map as possible. Dislikes civ that have explored more tiles. Likes civs that haven't explored as much.
Unique Unit: Nau
Unique Naval Melee unit, replaces the Caravel. Double line of Sight if it started its turn on an Ocean tile. Gains +1 Combat strength for each trade route passing through its tile.
Unique Infrastructure: Feitoria
Unique District for Portugal, replaces the Industrial Zone. Grants an addtional copy of adjacent luxuries and doubles the extraction rate of adjacent strategic resources. +1 Gold adjacency from bonus resources. Gains defences (similar to an Encampment)
Capital: Lisboa
Start Bias: Coast
Prefered Religion: Catholicism
Spoken Language: European Portuguese

Alt Leader: - Yongle Zhu Di (China)
Civ Ability: Dynastic Cycle:
Earn 10% additional progress when you unlock a Eureka or Inspiration. Build Canals in 50% of the usual time.
Leader Ability: Mandate of Heaven:
Completing a wonder reduces the cost of the next one by 5% and grants a free Governor Title. +1 Diplomatic Policy slot at Political Philosophy.
Leader Agenda: Celestial Empire:
Always assigns governors to his largest cities whenever possible. Likes Civs that put governors in their largest cities, dislikes civs that don't have governors in their largest cities or have unassigned governors.
Capital: Beijing
Prefered Religion: Taoism
Spoken Language: Mandarin

Last edited:
A) Compendium of new civs:

Fleshed-out ideas:
Spoiler :
1) Byzantium

(a) Basil II:
Leader Ability – Father of the army:
Military units are 50% cheaper to buy with gold. Units produced in cities with your own founded religion and high loyalty have -1 maintenance cost. Receives the Varangian Guard unique unit upon researching Mercenaries.
Leader agenda – Prudent administration: Likes civs that maintain a high gold income and treasury. Dislikes civs with low gold income or consistently small treasury.
Leader Unique Unit – Varangian Guard: Melee unit with 2 movement and 50 military strength. +10 combat strength when within the area of the Byzantine capital. Enemy units adjacent to the Varangian Guard suffer -1 movement speed (minimum cap at 1). 220 production cost and 4 gold maintenance cost. Upgrades to Infantry.
(b) Alexios Komnenos:
Leader Ability – Komnenian restoration:
Byzantium suffers no warmonger penalty when capturing enemy cities not previously owned by them after a Reconquest or Liberation casus belli. AI-controlled cities with your own founded religion receive additional influence by Byzantium in regards to loyalty. Receives the Archontopouloi unique unit upon researching Civil Service.
Leader agenda – Diplomat emperor: Likes civs with plenty of diplomatic relations, treaties and agreements. Dislikes isolationist civs that don’t do much of the aforementioned.
Leader Unique Unit – Archontopouloi: Heavy cavalry unit with 4 movement and 50 military strength. It costs no gold to maintain. +10 combat strength against enemy cities with low loyalty. 250 production cost. Upgrades to Tank.
Civ Unique Ability – Heirs of Rome: All wonders built in the Byzantine capital receive 1 slot for a Great Work of any kind. Newly founded cities start with walls of the available level at the time of settlement. Upon researching Diplomatic Service, Byzantium receives an additional diplomatic option allowing them to negotiate with someone to make them attack another civ without Byzantium necessarily joining. Byzantium suffers medium warmonger penalties as a result unless the war incited was a Liberation or Reconquest war.
Civ Unique Unit – Dromon: Naval ranged unit that replaces the Quadrireme. +1 movement and +5 melee combat strength compared to the Quadrireme (same ranged combat strength). +10 ranged combat strength vs land siege and support units. Same cost as Quadrireme. Upgrades to Frigate.
Unique District – Augustaion: Replaces the Government Plaza with half the cost. Wonders built adjacent to it act as bonus sources of influence for loyalty. Byzantium can build 2 instead of just 1 special building per Tier.

2) Manchu

Nurgaci:
Leader Ability – Qing Emperor:
Conquering cities and keeping them after war removes any influence from other civs in terms of loyalty. All military units gain +1 combat strength for each Manchu city with high loyalty. Receives the Jakun Gusa (Eight Banners) unique unit(s).
Leader agenda – Mandate of Heaven: Dislikes civs that exert high influence on other civs’ cities or civs that have lost cities as Free Cities. Likes civs that don’t exert high influence or maintain high loyalty in all of their cities.
Unique Ability – Tengri Syncretism: Fully defeating a civ grants full access to their techs and civics. The Manchu can have two simultaneous active religions in their cities as long as one of them is their own founded religion and none of the religions has above 75% dominance in the city. Double-religion cities do not count towards anyone’s religious victory. Bonuses from each religion are received proportionally based on how dominant each religion is.
Unique Unit – Iron Pagoda Cavalry: Heavy cavalry unit that replaces the Knight. 50 strength instead of 48. Receives +10 combat bonus vs light cavalry. Reduced damage by 5 from all ranged units and district defences.
Unique tile improvement – Imperial Garden: Provides +2 amenities and bonus loyalty influence to the city of which the tile belongs. Grants bonus +1 amenity and era score if it’s built adjacent to a wonder (does not stack). It must be built on flat terrain. Unlocks at Medieval Faires.
Unique Leader Units – Jakun Gusa: The Manchu get access to 8 different Bannermen; Bordered Yellow, Plain Yellow, Plain White, Plain Red, Bordered White, Bordered Red, Plain Blue and Bordered Blue. Available upon researching Military tactics. Bannermen have no combat strength and only 1 of each can exist at the same time. They can attach themselves to military units. Upon attaching, the military unit gains banner-specific bonuses. Also upon attaching, there is the option of integrating the Bannerman for the cost of 100 gold which instantly upgrades the unit to Corps or (if it’s already Corps) to an Army with the same Bannerman bonuses becoming permanent. Bannermen are “consumed” upon integration. A military unit cannot integrate or attach more than 1 Bannerman. 350 production cost.
Spoiler :
Bordered Yellow Banner: Can only be produced in the capital. Grants +5 combat strength.
Plain Yellow Banner: Can only be produced in cities where the main yield is gold. Killing enemy units grants gold equal to 20% of the unit’s combat strength.
Plain White Banner: Can only be produced in cities where the main yield is faith. Killing units grants faith equal to 20% of the unit’s combat strength.
Plain Red Banner: Can only be produced in cities where there is an encampment and walls. Movement speed increased by 1.
Bordered White Banner: Can only be produced in cities where the main yield is production. Razing/pillaging/plundering trade routes costs no movement points.
Bordered Red Banner: Can only be produced in cities where the main yield is culture. Killing units grants culture equal to 20% of the unit’s combat strength.
Plain Blue Banner: Can only be produced in cities where the main yield is food. Killing units grants +5 HP.
Bordered Blue Banner: Can only be produced in cities where the main yield is science. Killing units grants science equal to 20% of the unit’s combat strength.

3) Carthage

Hannibal Barca:
Unique Ability - Thalassocracy:
Carthaginian naval units have +5 combat strength vs enemy naval units. Carthage gets a free trader unit once a Cothon district is completed. Carthaginian cities with their city center on a coastal tile can build a Cothon without counting towards the city’s district limit.
Leader Ability - Hannibal at the gates: Military units receive +100% flanking bonus. When at war, Carthaginian military units cause the enemy city of which the tiles they are standing on to receive -2 amenities (does not stack). Also during war, Carthaginian military units can move through mountain tiles (maximum of 1 tile movement per turn). Receives the War Elephant unique unit.
Leader Agenda - Blood oath: Prefers to fight wars to the end and not surrender or accept peace deals before taking the capital. Likes civs that do the same. Dislikes civs that do not.
Unique Leader Unit - War Elephant: Heavy cavalry unit that is unlocked at Horseback riding. 45 combat strength and 2 movement. 120 production to make. When attacking an enemy unit, the attack affects up to 2 units in adjacent tiles that are also adjacent to the War Elephant (right and left of the attacked unit) for 20 damage each. Upgrades directly to Tank.
Unique unit - Quinquereme: Replaces the Quadrireme. Melee and ranged combat strength are 25 and 30 respectively (+5 to both compared to the Quadrireme). Ranged strength becomes bombard strength when attacking enemy cities. Killing enemy units grants +5 Great Admiral points. +20 production compared to Quadrireme.
Unique district - Cothon: Replaces the Harbor district. Must be built on land (coastal tiles only). Gets a +1 adjacency bonus on top of the regular harbor adjacency bonuses. +15% production towards naval units. All Cothon buildings grant bonus +1 Great Admiral point (total of +2 for each building). (it's an old idea of mine from another thread, so I might want to rethink this one since it seems Phoenicia is getting the Cothon)

4) Numidia

Masinissa:
Unique Ability - Desert nomads:
Numidian cities receive full housing when settling in desert tiles. Desert tiles provide +2 food if next to an oasis and +1 food and production if next to a river. Numidian military units receive +1 movement on desert tiles of any type.
Leader Ability - Tribal unity: Up to 3 cities with their city centers within 6 tiles of each other share production bonuses and act as one city for amenity purposes (amenities in one city affect the others, luxury resources count these cities one). If a Numidian city is founded up to 6 tiles away from another Numidian city center and is disconnected from the latter’s territory, it immediately annexes extra tiles in that direction so that the distance is no more than 2 tiles.
Leader Agenda - Shifting alliances: Less hesitant to drop out of mutual pacts and alliances and to join others. Likes civs that choose to ally much stronger civs. Dislikes civs that ally much weaker ones.
Unique Unit - Numidian cavalry: Replaces the Horseman. 5 instead of 4 movement and does not suffer movement penalties from hills. Receives +2 combat strength for each tile covered before attacking an enemy unit (not counting the initial tile and the tile the enemy unit is occupying). Costs +20 to produce compared to the Horseman. Upgrades to Cavalry.
Unique tile improvement - Dolmen: +1 Faith and +1 Culture. Provides +2 extra Faith and +2 extra Culture for each relic in the city of which the tile the Dolmen was built. Must be built on hills.

Wishlist with no particular design (yet):

Spoiler :

1) Maya (Pakal I)
2) Portugal (Joao II)
3) Ethiopia (Haile Selassie)
4) Italy (Lorenzo de' Medici)
5) Iroquois (Hiawatha)
6) Assyria (Ashurbanipal)
7) Babylon (Hammurabi)
8) Vietnam (Lê Lợi)
9) Austria (Maria Theresa)
10) Armenia (Tigranes)

B) Compendium of new features:

Spoiler :
New district:
Government complex
: 3 buildings (City Plaza, Senate, Parliament)
Provides Great Diplomat points per turn and influence points per turn. Gets +1 adjacency bonus from the City Center, wonders and Commercial Hub districts.
City Plaza (classical era): +1 Great Diplomat point, +1 Housing, +2 influence points, 1 Citizen slot
Senate (renaissance era): +1 Great Diplomat point, +2 Housing, +4 influence points, +2 Gold, 1 Citizen slot
Parliament (modern era): +1 Great Diplomat point, +2 Housing, +6 influence points, +2 Production, +3 Gold, 1 Citizen slot

Great Diplomats:
Spoiler :
1) Demosthenes (classical)
2) Marcus Baebius Tamphilus (classical)
3) Gan Ying (classical)
4) Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (medieval)
5) Shen Kuo (medieval)
6) Constantine Choirosphaktes (medieval)
7) Francesco Foscari (renaissance)
8) Sir John Donne (renaissance)
9) Giosafat Barbaro (renaissance)
10) Talleyrand (industrial)
11) Benjamin Franklin (industrial)
12) Ioannis Kapodistrias (industrial)
13) Abdulhak Hamid Tarhan (modern)
14) Cristoforo Negri (modern)
15) Tatsuo Kawai (modern)
16) Elmira Gafarova (atomic)
17) Emily Greene Balch (atomic)
18) Dag Hammarskjöld (atomic)
19) Nelson Mandela (information)
20) Yasser Arafat (information)
21) Jean Monnet (information)
22) Kofi Annan (information)

Note: Haven't figured out each one's effects yet.

Old ideas that might need some reworking after GS additions and new fetures:
Spoiler :

New victory condition:

Diplomatic victory (the World Congress is back). Victory is achieved when you become the head of the Grand Council 3 times in a row.

The Grand Council is now a new mechanic of the World Congress where the top civs of each game (number depends on map size). Influence points in the World Congress determine which civs are considered "top civs" in order to enter the Grand Council.

They have more leverage over decisions and gain a new type of casus belli “Peacekeeper War” which allows them to intervene in ongoing wars on one of the sides and resolve the conflict (low warmonger penalty as long as no claims are made after the conclusion). There is a vote every a set number of turns (based on game speed) where all members of congress vote on which member of the Grand Council becomes its head that amount of time. Only the head of Grand Council can veto decisions. Decisions are in general suggested by all members.

The World Congress can ban certain resources, outlaw nukes, give eurekas to certain techs or civics or choose a “global focus operation”. Global focus operations boost something globally for all civs, for example production towards wonders, science yields, cultural output etc.

The World Congress can be called once for each civ every a set number of turns (depending on game speed). A recent change done cannot be undone also for a set number of turns.

City-states have less voting weight than regular civs (half of a regular vote).

Grand Council members have the ability to call emergency meetings after some events (natural disasters if they get implemented, wars, use of nukes etc). At these emergency meetings, the Grand Councils member who called it must propose an action. If it is a natural disaster, civs can agree on sending financial aid to those affected or food. If it's a war, they can decide to declare a Peacekeeper War (must be approved by the majority).

Civs that abstain or vote antithetically to others will create some friction on the "friendliness" axis with the other civs, for example refusing to send aid to a civ affected by a natural distaster.

Reworked Agendas:
Instead of changing attitude, they now act as secondary factors that encourage or discourage cooperation. For example, while not unfriendly, the AI can be less willing to conduct trade with you. Or, following the agenda with a friendly AI will have a chance of the AI giving you gifts and being more loyal throughout the game.

Reworked diplomacy:
Spoiler :
1) The number of turns a type of good can be sent is now modifiable (no longer fixed at 30 turns) and this plays a role in the size of the offer that the AI will consider.

2) Civs can now trade map information, envoys (unused, not already expended), already finished techs and civics that the other civ has not researched (only eligible if the other civ currently has the ability to research it) as well as food per turn.

3) Ongoing trade agreements can be cancelled at any time (with a gold penalty depending on the amount of turns remaining in the deal).

4) New “axis” for AI attitudes is added. The current attitudes are part of the “friendliness” axis (Hostile/Denounced, Unfriendly, Neutral, Friendly, Ally/Part of Friendship). The new axis adds the “interest” axis which addresses the rate and scale of interaction between the player and the AI. These statuses are: Indifferent, Ignoring, Neutral, Interested, Involved.

5) Alliances and friendships can now only be achieved if there is at least “interested” attitude between the player and the AI. The AI can only declare war on civs that it has at least the “interested” attitude towards them. [These mostly address the out-of-nowhere nonsensical wars and alliances the AI makes with the player currently]

6) The AI will now be significantly harder to declare war on recent allies with an exponential rate of change in willingness. Easier for the AI to gradually be able to become more friendly with a civ it has been at war with previously (no longer perpetually denounces) with also an exponential rate of change.

7) Defeated civs in wars or smaller allies can now become your vassal. Vassals act as city-states in that they are independent, but are obligated to follow you to war. Vassals don’t lose the game just because of the vassal status. “Lord” states (civs that have vassals) have additional influence points per turn. Vassals also retain their voting power (full vote), but must always vote for what their Lord civ has voted for.

8) Having different governments with someone no longer creates friction. Instead it has the same effect as not following one’s agenda.

9) Having different religions is now a valid reason to start a religious war, but without the previous requirement (your cities converted), the warmonger penalty is 50% higher.

10) Civs can now annex city-states they are the suzerain of, if a set of requirements is met.For example, an envoy theshold and having researched a certain tech or civic.

11) An alliance may now be consisted of more than 2 civs and can have a name.

12) Capitals can now change voluntarily by the civ controlling the involved cities for a set gold cost after a certain point in the game or via some other effect (no ideas here yet). Can only happen every a set number of turns so it cannot be spammed.

13) New "Desire for Independence" mechanic added for vassals. The more powerful a vassal is, the larger its Desire for Independence. This diminishes through peace, trade with the lord civ and amenities, but is reinforced by warmongering of the Lord state, low amenities or weakening of the Lord state's power. It has 5 stages: Loyal, Cooperative, Neutral, Restless, Revolting.

14) Vassals can be liberated willingly by the Lord civ or by another civ through a Liberation war. If the vassal has "Restless" status or above in its desire for Independence, it can join the liberator's side during the war. If It has "Neutral" or lower, it will join the Lord state's side normally like all vassals do. The Liberation of the vassal can be done via liberating cities or via winning the war and demanding it in the peace agreement.

15) Vassals can be annexed by their Lord states only if they have a "Loyal" status, positive amenities in every city, the vassal military is at most half the size of the Lord state, every city the vassal has borders the Lord's cities and after a certain tech or civic is researched (just like with annexing city-states).

16) Civs have now the ability to form non-aggression pacts. These ensure for a number of turns that each civ will be unable to go against the other in a war directly or indirectly. The deal can be broken only via declaring war directly on the other civ, but this will bear the maximum warmonger penalty.

New espionage unit:
Hacker:
Information era unit that does several operations a regular Spy unit cannot, while not doing any of the Spy’s tasks. The Hacker can steal gossip, foreign trade agreement exact details, look at an opponent's city details (stats, citizen slots distribution, what is currently being produced), briefly halt a civ’s tech or civic progress and (with a small chance of success) alter a civ’s vote in the World Congress. Gains promotions and upgrades to its title similarly to the Spy.

Spies can now also do more covert operations: They can steal map information, non-expended envoys, special project progress (e.g. the Manhattan project) and resources (luxury or strategic) for a set number of turns.

Hmm, as far as a roster of Civs goes, I'd probably say

Maya-to help complete South America.

Ethiopia and/or Songhai and/or Morocco-to help complete Africa

Iroquois and/or Sioux-to help complete North America.

Babylon-goes without saying for me.

Venice-'cause they were so freakin' awesome in Civ5 ;).

Italy-because, like Canada, I think their time has come.

Austria-they had a great ability in Civ5, & the addition of independent cities in Civ6 R&F makes that ability even better!

As for new features-well I'd like to see

-Earthquakes & Plagues added to the roster of natural disasters.

-A full-blown, semi-random event system-triggered by in-game actions, & providing multiple choices for the player to contend with (some good, some less good, some bad).

-Independent cities being able to remain independent, & able to be dealt with diplomatically, as well as the ability for multiple Independent cities to band together to form a new Civilization. Indeed, with the new World Congress system, we could have the choice of Officially Recognizing an Independent City or new Civilization.

-The ability to claim City States via loyalty.....& perhaps even gain their Suzerain abilities.

-More spy abilities related to sabotage & winning over City-States (like the Coup & Election Rigging missions from Civilization V).

-The Fall part of "Rise & Fall" needs to be much more fleshed out. Give us Dark Ages Dedications as well as Policy Cards (& give us Golden Age Policy Cards) & make Dark Ages much harder to avoid.....especially if your Civilization has suffered a negative event-like a Plague or massive drought.

-Bring back the concepts of State Religion & National Identity from Civilization IV.

-More civics/policy cards related specifically to the legal & labour systems of your government.

-More ways to earn GPP prior to the building of districts, & make Specialists working districts more important-both in terms of tile outputs & GPP production.

-Make Bonus resources trade-able, as they were in Civ4, & grant them empire-wide benefits based on how many copies you have access to.

-More City Center buildings, & more District Buildings.

-A pollution system that goes beyond mere climate effects. Over-industrialization should potentially cause a reduction in Housing & Amenities......& could increase the risk of tiles losing yields or even becoming unworkable for a period of time-though certain Projects & Policies could help reduce those risks as well as making rehabilitation of those tiles much quicker/easier.

One idea I’d like to see implemented in a 3rd expansion pack is a radical overhaul to Barbarians and City-States that would allow the strictly non-player character agents to compete towards victory, resulting in a more dynamic political landscape over time. For this to work, the basic political division will have to become Cities, as will be evident through my explanation.

Unlike Barbarians and City-States, Nations can potentially become Civilizations, and Tribes could likewise become Nations, and in turn, Civilizations.

Moreover, each and every Tribe would be unique. Those with a unique unit would start the game with such, though unique abilities and improvements would only be available once a Tribe became a Nation. Tribes would start off in Outposts, similar to the former Barbarians. However, a Tribe’s goal is explicitly to capture a Settler from a Civilization and return it to its Outpost. If a Settler founds a City on an Outpost, that City becomes permanently associated with the Tribe’s unique attributes. The same is true if a Civilization’s Settler captures the Outpost, albeit the Civilization would own that City instead of the Tribe becoming a Nation. Were that to happen, the Tribal units would attack that City without halt until they captured it or all died. This is the only scenario in which Tribes can capture a City.

If the Tribe either uses a captured Settler at its Outpost or captures the City founded there, it succeeds in becoming a Nation. Every Nation has two uniques, a combination usually consisting of a unit and an improvement, but sometimes substituting an ability or a second unit. Additionally, each Nation has a typing and Suzerain bonus. The typing is the same as with City-States, but with the addition of Naval-type Nations that give bonuses to harbors and Naval unit production. Suzerain bonuses benefit whatever Civilization has sent the Nation the most envoys. Were the Nation to become a Civilization, it would no longer generate a Suzerain bonus, but the envoys sent would still continue to confer type bonuses.

Nations have no Leader, Leader Ability, or Civilization Ability, nor do they acquire any should they become Civilizations. All of their abilities always and only apply within the borders of the original City. This is true even if that City is captured by another Nation or Civilization. All Nations share the same Agenda: Become a Civilization. They do so by expanding to a second City. Because Nations cannot directly produce or purchase Settlers, they must Capture cities or Settlers. This is the major differentiating factor between the new Nations and the former City-States mechanic.

If a Nation captures a Settler, the City it founds will be pulled from the list of names from the Settler’s Civilization. The new City would not have any of the uniques associated either with the Nation or the Settler’s Civilization. However, if the Nation conquers another Nation, the conquered City remains named after the conquered Nation and retains all of its uniques, including improvements already constructed and the ability to build new unique units and improvements associated with the conquered Nation. Likewise if a Nation (or Civilization) conquers a City belonging to a Civilization, all of the unique improvements and districts of the original Civilization are preserved.

Nations that become Civilizations are able to adopt a government, participate in trade deals, generate envoys, earn era score, and achieve victory conditions. They can form Alliances, albeit their Alliance-types are always the same as their Nation-typing, and former Nations alone can have multiple Alliances of the same type (including a new Naval-type Alliance).

A former Nation turned Civilization will have an Agenda to pursue whatever victory condition is associated with its original typing (Domination for both Military and Naval types, Diplomatic for Industrial types, and the new Economic victory for Economic types).

Not all Nations will begin as Tribes. Some will be Nations from the start, with the density of such equivalent to the number of City-States per map size currently. In general, ancient peoples would be designated Tribes and modern nation-states would start as full Nations.

While Civilizations that start as either Tribes or Nations are at a distinct disadvantage compared to actual Civilizations, those fortunate few that manage form a broad coalition by conquering numerous other Nations and having access to their various uniques may achieve some semblance of a competitive edge. However, given that Civilizations can likewise conquer Nations, with those Cities being able to generate both the uniques of the Civilization and that particular Nation, as well as accessing the Leader Ability and Unique Ability of the Nation, the original Civilization will usually retain an advantage.

Ideas for Tribes
  • Iroquois (UU: Mohawk, UI: Longhouse)
  • Seminole
  • Sioux (UU: Ghost Dance Warrior, UI: Teepee)
  • Apache (UI: Pueblo, UA: Navajo Windtalker (Spy))
  • Tlingit (UU: Canoe, UI: Totem Pole)
  • Inuit (UU: Eskimo, UI: Igloo)
  • Carib
  • Amazon
  • Picts
  • Celts
  • Gauls
  • Angles
  • Saxons
  • Etruscans
  • Huns
  • Goths
  • Vandals
  • Lombards
  • Slavs
  • Turks
  • Philistines
  • Saracens
  • Berber
  • Tibetans
  • Nepalese
  • Siamese

Ideas for Nations
  • Mexico (UU: Vaquero, UI: Cantina)
  • Gran Colombia
  • Argentina
  • Portugal (UU: Carrack, UI: Feitoria)
  • Belgium (UU: Force Publique)
  • Switzerland (UU: Swiss Guard, UB: Swiss Bank)

Full Civilizations

I love the suggestion of Windtalkers as a unique unit for the Navajo.

I’d also agree on adding corporations and economic victory.

One thing I’d really like to see, as some others mentioned, is a more dynamic and fluid concept of nations. I want civil wars, revolutions, colonies, vassal states, etc. I want new civs to be born out of existing ones. I’d like to see mechanics like the Civ4 Rhyes and Fall mod.

Okay so I have been thinking about expack 3 and obviously Maya and Portugal are in, and Italy is very likely.

But I frequently find myself coming back to Africa and wondering how the devs will fill it out. The fact is that historically we have only gotten one "African" civ per expansion (Zulu and Mali). And yet there are still three major "empires" that deserve to be in VI: Morocco, Oman, and Ethiopia. What do?

The solution I have is thus. Morocco and Oman are unlikely to both be in the game, given that both were Arabian offshoots and they don't want to overburden their target demographic with Islamic history. So I think only one will be included, and indisputably Morocco is the more important of the two. The Maghreb are the most populous demographic in Africa, and the Moors are pretty sizeable as well. The western Islamic Caliphates were generally more influential than Oman and its successors, and Morocco overall has a clearer cultural and mechanical identity. Whereas Oman represents more of a spectrum of different cultures along the African coast which would be difficult to unify. So Morocco is in.

However, I do not think that makes Ethiopia and inevitability. Mechanically and culturally Axum would not be especially distinct from Nubia. Whereas the trading kingdoms of Oman would be very distinct from anything else on the globe. But Oman isn't happening, and so I think we will get the Swahili as representing the best, most unique parts of the Oman empire, indeed parts that existed long before Omani rule.

My reasoning is thus: Civ VI is representing unified cultures more than it is representing unified empires. Where it cannot find a strong empire, it caters to modern consumers (Canada, Scotland). And where it cannot find a strong gamerbase it caters to brute population (Cree, Mapuche). The Maori were never unified but instead a collection of different tribes, as were the Cree and Mapuche. They also represent the largest ethnic groups in Polynesia, Canada, and Argentina/Chile respectively, an efficient means of including cultural richness while conserving resources.

If you take the population perspective of determining the the most populous ethnic groups, the Maghreb are first. Followed by Egyptians. Then you have the Hausa, the Yoruba, followed by a steep drop off into the more factionalized tribes. Now the Hausa kingdoms covered a fair amount of land, but they also were crammed right against Mali. Same with the Oyo Empire to a smaller degree. I do not think an expack with Morocco would include another west african civ, and although I can imagine either being added in DLC neither holds priority to the degree that Morocco does.

However, there is another metric to measure the regional influence of a culture, and that is language. And by far the most spoken language in Africa, in no small part due to the long standing influence of the Swahili kingdoms, is Swahili. Ergo, it would not be inappropriate to represent the Eastern African coast with the Swahili.

The flavor balance is maintained this way, in that expack 3 gets an "Islamic" civ (Morocco) and an "African" civ (Swahili). Ethiopia would likely be saved for a smaller DLC pack (being a stronger selling point than either Morocco or Swahili). And the option to include a Hausa/Yoruba civ would still exist for even longer term support should they need it.

Two more civs in expack 3 (like Mali and Phoenicia), would ultimately leave Africa feeling fairly complete. And allow the devs to continue exploring new civ designs like they have been.

I'd love to have revamped combat mechanics as I proposed here. Also Corporations, Vassalage and Economic Victory in some form. Health and Plague would be the other big one. And then random events systems to make the game more realistic. Different Policy card classes are also a must, add in Religious and Labour policy cards.

As for new civs: Portugal (Joao II), Maya (Lady Six Sky), Sioux (Sitting Bull), Byzantines (Justinian), Ethiopia (Menelik II) and Hawaii (Kamekameha) to become the new generic Polynesian civ, whilst the Maori become a more militaristic hybrid, led by Hone Heke.

Now that the Phoenician capital is confirmed to be Tyre, it seems more likely that Morocco will be in expack 3.

So if we adhere to the four new, four old model, looks like we will get Portugal, Maya, and Morocco. Leaving one slot left. I don't think Siam or Ethiopia are particularly strong options in light of Nubia and Khmer, Babylon and Assyria aren't happening, and Byzantium would be better as a Roman alt leader. None of the other veteran civs seem likely either.

So, I don't know. I know that Byzantium would sell well, but they bore the hell out of me. I'd rather we get five new civs instead of four and another return. Save the meh staples for smaller DLC.

Portugal - João II
Civ ability - Capitanias Portuguesas

Gets a free trade route in every first Portuguese city founded on each new continent. Trade routes that originate in colonial cities generate +6 gold +2 production and +4 loyalty. All cities founded on another continent receive +2 loyalty per turn when a governor is established there.

Leader ability - O príncipe perfeito
Can recruit a kind of unique great people: Great Explorer. There are only 3 of them, and can be recruited with gold or faith after Portugal reaches the Cartography technology.
Bartolomeu Dias - gains +2 extra era points every time he discovers a new continent, a new civilization or new city-state.
Vasco da Gama - can establish in a Portuguese colonial city, generating +8 loyalty in it, plus + 15% gold and production. He can not establish in a city that already has an established governor.
Pêro da Covilhã - he has 3 loads for trade missions. These missions are done taking this explorer in city-states outside the mainland of Portugal and can only make one mission per city-state. Each trade mission, Portugal earns 350 gold and +4 envoys in that city-state.

Unique unit - Nau
Replaces Caravel. Gets extra combat strength when there is a Great Explorer nearby. Embedded units are stronger when near a Nau.

Unique Infrastructure - Feitoria
Unique improvement, can only be built on a coast or adjacent to borders of a city-state in a non-native continent of Portugal. It grants +5 gold, +2 production and +2 loyalty. When built adjacent to the border of a city-state, it grants 2 free envoys to it. It can not be built adjacent to another Feitoria.

Note 1: I'm sorry for the names of the skills, I'm not good at it. :p
Note 2: The gold and faith required to recruit Great Explorers are much cheaper than the other types of Great People.
Note 4: Portugal seems to be an extraordinarily strong civ, but almost all of its bonuses will only make sense if Portugal builds a true colonial empire. Your performance will be very weak if you can not build many colonies.
Note 5: I thought Porgual being designed for a possible economic victory in a third expansion. This bonus also encourages Portugal to seek a victory by domination or diplomatic.

One thing I would especially love to see in a 3rd X-pac is an embracing of some of the great ideas in JFD's Rule with Faith-Great Theologians (to make Holy Sites relevant for much longer), more Policy Card types (Religious, Legal and Labour being obvious candidates) & government choice right from the outset (maybe Chiefdom, Tribal Council & either Shamanistic or Tribal Collective). The last one would definitely make the Ancient era even more diverse IMHO.

Top Bottom