3rd party DRM

cain3456

King
Story going around on the Steam forums is that Humankind will utilize Denuvo DRM. If that's the case, then that is a dealbreaker. I will not put up with 3rd party DRM when I'm not playing multiplayer.

Well, if they insists on using Denuvo, then I guess I'll have to cancel my pre-order. Oh, well. That's what happens when you sell out to a major publisher.

Here's a snip from the license:

Code:
This Product may beprotected by anti-cheat/hacking software and/or Denuvo Anti-Tamper Protection Technology (“Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology”). You hereby acknowledge and agree to the following regarding the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology:

the installation of the Product will cause the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology to be installed on your device;
the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology may limit the number of installations of the Product;
the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology may install on your device additional components required for copy protection;
during the installation and/or the first launch of the Product, an online connection may be required to activate the Product and the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology; and
certain files of the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology may remain even after the Product is uninstalled from your device.
In no event shall SEGA be liable to you in connection with the components that may be installed on your device relating to the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology.

So, basically, they're going to install third-party software on our systems that remains even after uninstalling the game. That third-party software can install more stuff later if it wants to, without disclosure. That third-party software can also prevent us from playing the game in the event of a lost Internet connection, or because we re-installed Windows, or because we changed hardware. Also, SEGA (and Amplitude) take no responsibility for any troubles caused by Denuvo.

No, thanks.

Endless Space 2 was also published by SEGA, and it doesn't have third party DRM.

The relationship was fairly new, though. Less than a year old.

Anyway, SEGA uses Denuvo for just about every game from all of their studios. It's clear that SEGA is the one pushing Denuvo into Amplitude's game.
I know. I was simply pointing out that there is precedent for a SEGA-published Amplitude game without third party DRM. I was under the impression this was rumormongering, but I see now it's on the side of the Steam page. That's unfortunate. :(

Yes. I will not buy until Denuvo is removed. Always been my policy.

:(

As one open dev happened on Stadia, I would guess that you can play HK using that (and likely also via GeForce Now, judging from previous Amplitude games). This would circumvent some issues with DRMs people seem to have, right?

No, thanks. I have no interest in playing remotely. My PC is more than capable of playing the game itself and I'd rather not subscribe to yet another service.

Well, then there’s still hope that Denuvo gets removed from HK after a year or so (which is apparently not too unlikely). Given the state the game seems to be in right now, waiting for some months/a year or two before diving into it might be better anyway, so this might not even be that harmful. Not that I want to defend the DRM software, just saying it might not be worth to get upset too much…
At least you know beforehand with HK…

Last edited:
Strongly considering refunding my preorder, which is a shame because I really like the game based on the Betas but I absolutely do NOT like this

That is such a shame. It was to be my one game purchase for the year. However I won't touch denuvo. Especially since Sega won't take any responsibility for the DRM causing any problems. Sorry, I'm out.

I have been looking at Steam page for this one recently, wondering if I should preorder. I've had some concerns about various gameplay aspects, but was leaning towards buying it anyway. Then I noticed the Denuvo thing. Thanks for making my decision easier, I guess.

I have removed Humankind from my wishlist. :-(

Hopefully they'll revise that decision.

I've preorder and couldn't care less about Denuvo. Much ado about nothing. If you want to get upset about something, Firaxis and CONSTANT Civ VI crashes is the thing to target your energies on.

Moderator Action: Please stop trolling the forums. This forum is about Humankind, stick to the topic. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, despite multiple very popular topics on the G2G forum about Denuvo, the developers haven't responded. Indeed, the G2G forums about Humankind are almost dead. Except for a quick post from a community member about fishing attempts 2 days ago, there hasn't been a developer post in the Humankind General forum for more than 2 weeks.

Odds of having Denuvo removed are just about 0%, I'm thinking.

@ThunderLizard2
It's for each of us to choose which business practices and DRM we are willing accept. It's okay that you are fine with Denuvo. I am not however, and choose not to get Humankind because of it. I don't intend to spend a lot of energy complaining about it, but if I did, that would also be my choice to make. I do think it is beneficial for the developers to know that their DRM solution is turning some people off their game, and I believe it is beneficial for consumers to know what they are accepting when they buy a Denuvo game, so that they may make an informed decision.

@ThunderLizard2
It's for each of us to choose which business practices and DRM we are willing accept. It's okay that you are fine with Denuvo. I am not however, and choose not to get Humankind because of it. I don't intend to spend a lot of energy complaining about it, but if I did, that would also be my choice to make. I do think it is beneficial for the developers to know that their DRM solution is turning some people off their game, and I believe it is beneficial for consumers to know what they are accepting when they buy a Denuvo game, so that they may make an informed decision.

Then we'll agree to disagree. As I said I don't have a big issue with DRM in general - it's there to stop thieves.

Top Bottom