(4-18a) Counterproposal: Pledge to Protect Military Requirement - Require Median Military Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
Counterproposal to: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...wer-requirement-reduced-from-60-to-50.683168/

Currently, 60% of the highest military power is required in order to make a pledge to protect. However, the highest military power can sometimes (especially on higher difficulties, since promotions increase military power, and AI has substantial XP bonuses and production discounts) be very high compared to other civs, unreasonably limiting civs' ability to make a pledge.

I propose that we use the median of civs' military powers instead of requiring 50% of the highest power. If a civ has military power equal to or greater than the median, they are allowed to make the pledge. This means runaway civs will have much less impact on everyone else's ability to make a pledge, which would be an improvement over the current system.

Math Explanation:
Spoiler :

For anyone who isn't good at math, the median is the middle number in a list in ascending order. So:

55, 100, 200, 666, 99999 - the median would be 200
1, 3, 5, 11, 18, 22, 64, 80 - the median would be the average of 11 and 18 (14.5)

The median is a measure of central tendency that is less susceptible to distortion based on large outliers.

I sponsor this proposal.

Last edited:
But why? If there's one human and 7 AIs, the median would be at the AI who has an advantage.

yeah but now you only have contend with the strength of like the 4th best AI in teh game, instead of the top ones.
That's just the old system which we've been non-stop complaining about it being impossible.

In the end, both proposals result in more empires making promises of protection.

It may be worth lowering the :c5strength:CS bonuses city-states receive to their defenses and lowering the modifiers that make it harder to require tribute 'have a friend' and 'protection is promised'. After all, now when trying to demand tribute, we can immediately receive 3-4 negative diplomatic events from other empires, instead of 1-2. What after the Denunciations, which worked like a snowball, can lead to the fact that we will be hated by all 7 empires because of the tribute of 200 science.

It is also definitely necessary to increase the received tribute. After all, empires that hate us will never offer a good price for our strategic resources or luxury.

Proposal sponsored by Recursive.

Repost from other proposal, but it might apply more here:

That's barely going to make a difference in my eyes, pledge of protections are inherently flawed, and I'm always at least 30% off from this requirement, but it's a step in the right direction.

It should only require you based on how many units are close to the city state. 2 tanks on the other side of the world should have less impact on being allowed to pledge than 1 tank 5-10 tiles away from the city state, and that's final.

It'll take more testing but the results will prove my point. Just saving you some time! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom