[Vote] (4-27) Proposal: Great Diplomat Bulb - Increase Resting Influence by 30

Approval Vote for Proposal #27 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 4, Proposal 27
Proposal:
When a Great Diplomat does its bulb, in addition to its normal benefits, it increases the resting influence of the CS by 30.

Rationale: We often talk about the boringness of GDs once embassies are established. This mechanism would add some oomph to the GD power but giving you a permanent securing of friendship with a CS, and reducing your longterm influence decay with that CS, so you gain a longer term benefit. It might even make bulbing before embassies more attractive, to keep an important CS a friend or ally longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer if it was 25 so pledging requires the minimum threshold for friendship.

I still think that the +1 paper is attractive enough for having GD. Are they really in the need of buff?

You bulb a Great Diplomat to try to make the target CS an ally, not to establish permanent friendship. The current "boring" part is either when you've allied pretty much every CS (except those you can't reach), or when you're way too much behind other civs in terms of influence in every reachable CS. In both cases, adding some resting influence won't change anything.

You bulb a Great Diplomat to try to make the target CS an ally, not to establish permanent friendship. The current "boring" part is either when you've allied pretty much every CS (except those you can't reach), or when you're way too much behind other civs in terms of influence in every reachable CS. In both cases, adding some resting influence won't change anything.
With how happy the AI has been with Decolonization, I don't find that to be that common anymore. An extra resting influence would have use in regards to that WC proposal.

With how happy the AI has been with Decolonization, I don't find that to be that common anymore. An extra resting influence would have use in regards to that WC proposal.
I don't think so. Everyone's influence gets reset to 50 regardless of resting point, and generally at that point of the game diplomats > instant influence (from some policies and buildings) > passive influence (from trade routes) > what little passive influence 30 resting influence can provide. At best you get one turn of ally right after the Decolonization hits (if no Statecraft trade route is going to the CS), but that's too little benefit to add new code for.

I don't think so. Everyone's influence gets reset to 50 regardless of resting point, and generally at that point of the game diplomats > instant influence (from some policies and buildings) > passive influence (from trade routes) > what little passive influence 30 resting influence can provide. At best you get one turn of ally right after the Decolonization hits (if no Statecraft trade route is going to the CS), but that's too little benefit to add new code for.
Keep in mind that with the new decay code, your resting influence also reduces the amount of decay you have, so it does have a lingering benefit as well.

Keep in mind that with the new decay code, your resting influence also reduces the amount of decay you have, so it does have a lingering benefit as well.
Since the calculation is based on the square between resting and actual influence, at high level of influence even 30 can mean something.

Since the calculation is based on the square between resting and actual influence, at high level of influence even 30 can mean something.
^1.5, not ^2, but yes.

Sponsored.

Proposal sponsored by Recursive.

Sure, but it's important that it stacks exponentially based on how many great diplomats you use. If you really want a city state, and spend 5 great diplomats on one, the resting point should not be 150, but like 400.

I would have made it 25. 30 is a weird number.

But yeah it would be cool to have a semi-permanent effect on the GDiplomat bulb. Once the embassy spots are all claimed, it feels kinda bad that the GDiplomat exclusively has a temporary effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom