(4-35) Proposal: Revert nerf to Inquisitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

azum4roll

Lost the game
There was an undocumented change that made Inquisitors only remove 50% of the target city's foreign pressure instead of all of it. This proposal acts as a formal vote for it.

Proposal: Revert INQUISITION_EFFECTIVENESS to 100

Rationale:
1. Inquisitors cost the same as missionaries, but only has one charge, and causes one turn of resistance to the city when used. This severely limits the use case of Inquisitors. They're only worth using when you have a high base pressure of your own religion (this point is the same regardless of effectiveness), AND also high pressure of foreign religions. Otherwise you'll find that it doesn't move the follower count much, and it's better to use Missionaries or even Great Prophets instead.
2. For the AI, it often means giving up on their religion after Industrial era. It's not uncommon to see entire areas of the map filled with religionless cities. This is true even if effectiveness is set to 100% by the way, just happening later (maybe Modern or Atomic).

in the strongest terms, I disagree with this.

Going back to 100% heresy removal eliminates any chance to spread to another civilization. You remove an entire strategy by making counterplay perfect and absolute Like this. It should be possible to assault another civilization’s religion, it’s just that using inquisitors to halve foreign pressure in a city is too punishing right now.

Going back to 100% heresy removal eliminates any chance to spread to another civilization. You remove an entire strategy by making counterplay perfect and absolute Like this. It should be possible to assault another civilization’s religion, it’s just that using inquisitors to halve foreign pressure in a city is too punishing right now.
It's very possible to still take over another founder, but now you have to actually work on it. Either get a lot of cities with your religion to overwhelm them with pressure, or actively spread to them with missionaries much earlier on (without a good pressure base, using an inquisitor is still very costly when you have to go into resistance every few turns).

I've always been playing with 100% effectiveness, and this is possible.

Edit: You can still do the active spread thing later on, but you'll need to erode their existing pressure with Great Prophet(s) first. Also higher cost on missionaries.

Last edited:
I sponsor this.

Proposal sponsored by azum4roll.

I am strongly against the sponsor, I find that religion needs to rely more on proximity, spread direction and buildings in the late game.
Inquisitiors are usually units used to fight against hostile great prophets, and on cities along the border.

Using them up every 5-10 turns is just an unnecessary pain in the late game.

I am strongly against the sponsor, I find that religion needs to rely more on proximity, spread direction and buildings in the late game.
Inquisitiors are usually units used to fight against hostile great prophets, and on cities along the border.

Using them up every 5-10 turns is just an unnecessary pain in the late game.
Sponsoring a proposal means agreeing to implement the changes if they're accepted, not necessarily agreeing that it's a good idea.

If you don't like a proposal, then make a counterproposal during either the Proposal or Counterproposal Phases with a better alternative, or vote against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom