(4-NS) Allow gifting of workers and work boats to City-States; remove the option to give gold to improve resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

axatin

Prince
Counterproposal to https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/4-07-allow-improve-resource-interaction-from-cs-to-repair-pillaged-tiles.683022/

Proposal: In the CS menu, add an option to gift a worker or a work boat to a city-state. Gifting one of those units does not give any influence. Like military units, they can be gifted instantly when they're on the CS's territory, or remotely from anywhere taking 3 turns to arrive. Remove the option to give gold to improve resources.

Rationale: Having the possibility to give gold to a city-state and then a resource is instantly improved is not consistent with how improving resources usually works in the game. Instead of further extending this mechanic, I'd prefer adding the option to gift workers to city-states, which the CS can then use to improve resources or to repair pillaged tiles.

PROPOSAL AMENDED: Added the option to gift also work boats. Changed the title to clarify that the option to spend gold to improve a resource is removed.

Last edited:
Doesn't work for sea-based resources. Would you also allow gifting work boats? It wouldn't work if
1. Your civ or the CS is land-based
2. The CS city can't reach the resource to be improved

It also delays improvement of strategic resources that haven't been unlocked by the CS, if you're in the lead.

Not sure if CS also have unit maintenance, but if they do, excessive workers/work boats would harm their economy.

Seems like unnecessary micro to me, both for humans and the AI.

Doesn't work for sea-based resources. Would you also allow gifting work boats? It wouldn't work if
1. Your civ or the CS is land-based
2. The CS city can't reach the resource to be improved

It also delays improvement of strategic resources that haven't been unlocked by the CS, if you're in the lead.

Not sure if CS also have unit maintenance, but if they do, excessive workers/work boats would harm their economy.
You're right about work boats, I've added them to the proposal. It's true that there are some cases in which gifting work boats is not possible or resource improvement is delayed, but I think the advantage of increased realism/consistency outweighs this. I don't believe it will result in an excessive amount of workers/work boats, but it if does, it will easily be possible to introduce restrictions to unit gifting (no workers or work boats if the CS already has more than one).
Seems like unnecessary micro to me, both for humans and the AI.
Hmm, gifting a worker doesn't feel more micro to me than spending gold to repair a pillaged tile. The AI needs to be taught to use the feature, but that's also the case for the OP

I'd also like to add something vital, it seems impossible most of the time to do a pledge of protection on difficulties king or above.

Even if your entire territory is covered in units you don't even reach 50%.. while you need 60% I believe.

I propose it should be calculated based on proximity of units, not global units, like intimidation would. It makes sense, the city state sees the forces next to it and trusts that those protect them, not 8 nuclear missiles on the other side of the planet.

I'd also like to add something vital, it seems impossible most of the time to do a pledge of protection on difficulties king or above.

Even if your entire territory is covered in units you don't even reach 50%.. while you need 60% I believe.

I propose it should be calculated based on proximity of units, not global units, like intimidation would. It makes sense, the city state sees the forces next to it and trusts that those protect them, not 8 nuclear missiles on the other side of the planet.
Suggest an amendment to this proposal or make your own counterproposal: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...wer-requirement-reduced-from-60-to-50.683168/

As for this proposal...I honestly don't see what makes this fun. You're relying on the Worker AI to improve the resource, and it could take a long time if the City-State is being attacked, because the Worker AI is cowardly. It's not veto worthy, but I don't like the idea.

Proposal failed due to lack of sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom