=) =(

They fixed something that wasn't broken, then they ended up breaking what was fixed.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing to add, but when there is nothing to take away"

The above quote is mentioned at engineering in context. It is NOT targeted at activities of leisure. Replacing a fine local happiness system with a bogus global system that WILL NOT BE FIXED is totally unacceptable in my opinion. When I say it will not be fixed, I mean it; there is nothing that can be done to make the global system any better than the local system used in Civ 4.

A reply above mentioned that this was turning into a Civ 5 vs Civ 4 thread. Why wouldn't it be the case? I find it logical to compare the deranged happiness controls to the design implemented in Civ 4.

Also, I would like to express my theory about why this and many things in Civ 5 leave much to be desired. First, note the local modifiers in Civ 4, now the global modifiers in Civ 5. The developers have screwed themselves over right here. My theory is that this global aspect already simplifies gameplay down to the global level; there is little to maintain locally. In Civ 4, the plethora of local tasks and manuverings allowed an epic buildup of force and achievement to a global level. In Civ 5, the already global controls leave no room for any sort of epic growth or expansion of responsibility.

My two cents.

Top Bottom