(44) Proposal: Time limits on city resource (WLTKD) demands and CS quests

Status
Not open for further replies.

balparmak

Prince
Resource demands and quests are designed as interactive mechanics, yet both can become stale if you're simply unlucky. Cities can get stuck with a resource you can't have until astronomy or with a stubborn CS resource, and some quests can be near impossible or unfeasible to complete (e.g. the building quest proposal). Having a simple timer on both would help without affecting balance. Some quests already have timers, and the others can either have a generic 50 turn one, or a different timer per quest type, whatever the devs find easier to implement. An alternative would be an ability to dismiss undesired CS quests at the cost of small influence hit, but that would be much harder to implement. I'm starting with 30 turns on WLTKD resource demands, but can modify the proposal following the discussion.

Proposal: Cities re-roll their demanded resource every 30 turns, and city-state quests get replaced every 50 turns (on standard speed). The results of the reroll cannot be identical to the results of the original roll.

Last edited:
I would suggest adding "the results of the reroll cannot be identical to the results of the original roll".

There is already many ways to reset your cities need of ressources: great merchant missions, circus, churches, just off the top of my head.
I don't feel a reroll is needed for that, it is you that have to work the situation out for your cities.

For CS, your proposal seems more reasonable with 50 turns turnover even tho it can be reset if the CS declares war to you (or you to them)

I've found it pretty annoying to have to wait for a circus just to reset a Nutmeg request from a different continent that I haven't been able to trigger all game. Churches don't really feel like fair counter-points, if you pick them that means you have to first found a religion and tank a belief, and you don't even have the guarantee that the next request isn't equally obnoxious. Also circus doesn't come out until Medieval, you basically forgo two eras of potential free growth at random.

even tho it can be reset if the CS declares war to you
I wonder if that's intended to cancel quests if the CS declares war on you because of their ally. It didn't use to happen until a few versions ago.

There is already many ways to reset your cities need of ressources: great merchant missions, circus, churches, just off the top of my head.
I don't feel a reroll is needed for that, it is you that have to work the situation out for your cities.

For CS, your proposal seems more reasonable with 50 turns turnover even tho it can be reset if the CS declares war to you (or you to them)
I agree with this. I would support a separate proposal for just CS quests, but not WLTDK resource demands. That's a lot of the Great Merchants power. Alternatively Great Diplomats could gain a new function and auto clear CS quests of a specific city state on demand, so some quests can be hard to clear by design, instead of having to make each quest function well in every situation.

I sponsor this proposal.

Proposal Sponsors: Recursive.

(Sponsors have indicated that they are able and willing to perform the code changes required for this proposal if the community votes Aye on it. Other coders are free to sponsor this as well. A proposal without a sponsor will not advance to the Voting Phase.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom