4th affinity: Ascension

Makenshi

Ahoy, ye salty dogs!
Purity = stay as human as ever, change the planet [stay in place]

Harmony = become alien, adapt to the planet [go left]

Supremacy = become machines, use the planet [go right]

Ascension = extreme evolutionary process whereby the human consciousness becomes pure energy and rises to a higher plane of existence, abandon the plant - and the material universe as a whole [go up*]

* Maybe someone will think of a 5th affinity which could be described as "go down"? :lol:

* Maybe someone will think of a 5th affinity which could be described as "go down"? :lol:

The only thing that comes into my mind of "going down" is having a satanic cult affinity, like the Chaos from Warhammer 40k. LOLOLOL

The 5th affinity for "going down" could be looking within our DNA and bringing humanity closer to their origins. Neanderthals were stronger as are most apes why not use our origins to recreate them...

Humans have something called "junk DNA" that contains allot of information that isn't used. But it's not very well thought out.

Well, idk if affinities but i'd add two new victory conditions:

*Euthanasia (Humanity is broken beyonf repard and must be destroyed for the universe sake)
*Divinity (Basically the humans as the Ones Who Came Before from Assassins Creed)

Purity = stay as human as ever, change the planet [stay in place]

Harmony = become alien, adapt to the planet [go left]

Supremacy = become machines, use the planet [go right]

Ascension = extreme evolutionary process whereby the human consciousness becomes pure energy and rises to a higher plane of existence, abandon the plant - and the material universe as a whole [go up*]

I would love to get a 4th affinity in the game. ( I was a bit disappointed when they just decided to mix the affinities up instead of adding a 4th)

That being said, I am not sure if the affinity you are suggesting here is different or fleshed out enough to stand on it's own. What do you mean by? "Extreme Evolution" This is idea here is a bit broad in my opinion. The affinity you state needs have a little more description about how it goes about "ascending". What would the units look like? What is the logical progression to the eventual energy being that people becoming. I think you have an idea in your mind, but I don't think it translated to what you wrote here.

I don't have any suggestion about a 4th affinity at this point, and I don't mean to shoot you down. :/ (I will try to think of one on my own time.) I just think that if a 4th affinity is to be brought to the game it is going to have to be different enough and very fleshed out to be believable.

I would love to get a 4th affinity in the game. ( I was a bit disappointed when they just decided to mix the affinities up instead of adding a 4th)

That being said, I am not sure if the affinity you are suggesting here is different or fleshed out enough to stand on it's own. What do you mean by? "Extreme Evolution" This is idea here is a bit broad in my opinion. The affinity you state needs have a little more description about how it goes about "ascending". What would the units look like? What is the logical progression to the eventual energy being that people becoming. I think you have an idea in your mind, but I don't think it translated to what you wrote here.

I don't have any suggestion about a 4th affinity at this point, and I don't mean to shoot you down. :/ (I will try to think of one on my own time.) I just think that if a 4th affinity is to be brought to the game it is going to have to be different enough and very fleshed out to be believable.

I made an attempt at one way back when based on an obsession with the Progenitors, though I'm pretty happy with the potential in hybrid affinities.

I think that if a 4th "Core Affinity" were to be added, it should focus on Psionics. Its within Firaxis' "Genetic Code" as it were and would provide access to a whole new flavor of sci-fi material; complete with trophes of Society, Technologies, Wonders, Units, and Values.

Whether is your Ascension or Galgus' Discovery, I think this affinity chooses not to focus on directly altering the physical form (beyond a certain extent of fixing genetic abnormalities and extending lifespan) but instead focuses on unlocking the power of the mind. I am certain that some of the citizens of a Psionic society would eventually become so enlightened that they would no longer need a physical form and would transform into beings of Pure Thought.

Edit: Let me see if I can find the link to the Divinity Affinity idea that someone had.

I made an attempt at one way back when based on an obsession with the Progenitors, though I'm pretty happy with the potential in hybrid affinities.

I went through your idea. I love the idea here, and obviously it would require a re-work of the science victory. I think that they could change the science victory to something far more interesting, such as creating a type of wonder that is a major step in human technological progress( Ex: a wonder that can shape the universe to your will), Research the ability to travel between universes, and gather people and resources to establish yourself there, or even sending a ship into a black hole to discover it's secrets.

I am having a hard time coming up with more science victories that are not similar to Civ V's space/science victory, and that feel glorious enough.

Back to the topic, I love the idea of the progenitor obsession. I personally think that all of these affinities have a physical change (or lack thereof (purity)) in people, and a clear goal for where humanity is heading. Yours has a clear goal, and for the physical look.

Now as you said "Purple and white are the general color scheme, and Discovery has an almost mystic look to it.
Taking some notes from the Protoss architecture design, buildings in cities appear elegantly decorated: somewhat like technologically advanced temples.
Similarly, faction leaders adopting Discovery gradually move towards elegant robes, strange devices on their head, and potentially glowing eyes.
Aesthetic references to the Ethereals of Xcom are extremely welcome.
Units would appear strange and delicate, with large parts that look like generators of some kind and lighter armor."

Don't you think that these people would be inspired more by the only source of progenitor proof that they have? The very circular ruins, made of stone. That being said, if they are enlightening themselves with visions, I think their clothing and architecture could very likely look nothing like the progenitor ruins themselves.

I love the idea, thanks for posting it here.

What do you mean by "Extreme Evolution"?

A human who has the ability to use approximately 90% of their cerebral capacity can gain more and more power as a mortal (including telekinesis) until the person reaches the point when brain activity is over average but the user is not yet Ascended.

Once the brain achieves 90% synaptic activity, they must achieve an EEG of 0.1 to 0.9 hertz, during which they will learn how to convert their body into energy. If they do not achieve ascension before 96% synaptic activity is achieved, the lower functions of the brain will shut down.

If the Ascension process is successful, they separate from their physical bodies and to live eternally as pure energy in a superior plane with a greater amount of knowledge and power - a direct result of obtaining a certain level of wisdom and knowledge as a civilization.

As an Affinity in CivBE, it would represent the whole faction adopting this path. The result of an Ascension victory would be, for example, that ALL Khavitans successfully ascended, leaving behind their empty cities as a testament of their glorious achievement. Kinda like the science victory in CiV or the Contact victory in CivBE, but instead of leabing to another planet on ships, leave to another whole plane of existence as sentient energy.

I went through your idea. I love the idea here, and obviously it would require a re-work of the science victory. I think that they could change the science victory to something far more interesting, such as creating a type of wonder that is a major step in human technological progress( Ex: a wonder that can shape the universe to your will), Research the ability to travel between universes, and gather people and resources to establish yourself there, or even sending a ship into a black hole to discover it's secrets.

I am having a hard time coming up with more science victories that are not similar to Civ V's space/science victory, and that feel glorious enough.

Back to the topic, I love the idea of the progenitor obsession. I personally think that all of these affinities have a physical change (or lack thereof (purity)) in people, and a clear goal for where humanity is heading. Yours has a clear goal, and for the physical look.

Now as you said "Purple and white are the general color scheme, and Discovery has an almost mystic look to it.
Taking some notes from the Protoss architecture design, buildings in cities appear elegantly decorated: somewhat like technologically advanced temples.
Similarly, faction leaders adopting Discovery gradually move towards elegant robes, strange devices on their head, and potentially glowing eyes.
Aesthetic references to the Ethereals of Xcom are extremely welcome.
Units would appear strange and delicate, with large parts that look like generators of some kind and lighter armor."

Don't you think that these people would be inspired more by the only source of progenitor proof that they have? The very circular ruins, made of stone. That being said, if they are enlightening themselves with visions, I think their clothing and architecture could very likely look nothing like the progenitor ruins themselves.

I love the idea, thanks for posting it here.

Honestly since all the Affinity victories require impressive tech I'm not sure we need a dedicated Science victory.

Perhaps a victory condition or two for every hybrid Affinity would work.

I tried to design that a long time ago.

The appearance was mostly a rough concept, but I like the idea of them finding more than just stone and a single event in the Progenitor ruins.

Perhaps they could uncover an incomplete record of the Progenitors, or at least things that shed light on how they lived and what their tech was like.

Regardless, they would definitely try to base their society off of them.

Top Bottom