4th tech poll

What should we tech next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaleb

Deity
The situation as we are now:
Spoiler :

We will finish researching The Wheel in 3 turns and need to decide on our next tech.

Options people have suggested so far are:
1) Pottery (for granaries and cottages)
2) Animal Husbandry (to reveal horses and farm sheep)
3) Hunting (to let us tech Archery and build scouts)

If we do the following build order:
  • complete warrior (which goes north)
  • build another warrior for one turn
  • City grows to pop4
  • switch production to settler
After one turn of building a settler we will be able to choose our next tech.

Tech times for the 3 main choices are: Hunting = 4, Pottery = 6, AH = 8

If we build the settler without chopping it will be done in 7 turns, 5 with chopping.

If after chopping we road the corn the settler can settles the north spot in 3 turns, otherwise 4. Settling the 2nd city immediately gives us +4:science: (2 from tiles, 2 from trade)

After chopping the settler, completing the warrior will take 1 turn, after which we can build another warrior in 1 turn or a workboat in 3.

Voting will take same format as before, if there is no clear winner we will have a run off. If you want to vote 'other' please state which one and why

I voted for Hunting. It is the cheapest and fastest. It would enable us to research Archery so that we may build an Archer to defend ourselves if necessary and also to remove animals, especially Bears. Additionally, we could produce a Scout to further explore the valley, forewarn us of an attack, most likely by Barbs and finally to attempt to make contact with others - they are out there somewhere!

I voted pottery, so we can get up granary and cottages asap, so we grow organically faster, and can get out a higher number of settlers and workers in a critical phase.

Thanks for all the good info in the first post Kaleb! Love your avatar, too. :)

I haven't voted yet but I'm thinking that we should do animal husbandry after the wheel. It doesn't seem we'll be ready to build cottages in the next ten turns. We can finish AH about the time we get our exploring workboat finished.

Yes, please change my vote from Pottery to Animal Husbandry, Pottery will be of no relevance for some time, but we would like to know we can find horses, if it affects chosen city locations.

The problem with Animal Husbandry is that is takes more than twice as much to research as Hunting and then what do we do if we do not find Horses nearby?

The problem with Animal Husbandry is that is takes more than twice as much to research as Hunting and then what do we do if we do not find Horses nearby?

I understand animal husbandry takes longer but we're going to be building a settler for at least five turns anyway (and won't start it for a couple turns). Here is my logic for choosing animal husbandry:
  • It looks as though during the time we'll be making our settler, our worker will be building roads and will not have time to make cottages so there is no need for pottery just yet.
  • We won't have our next city built for about eleven turns so there is no need for mysticism yet.
  • We could do hunting and archery in the same time as animal husbandry but after the settler (and maybe one warrior) we want another workboat to explore so we wouldn't be making a scout or archers for 3 or 4 turns after the settler anyway - so there is no need for these techs yet.
  • By getting animal husbandry now we can see if horses are nearby. If they are then we can debate the merits of scouts and archers versus chariots. If they aren't then we can do hunting quickly and then archery if need be. Also we'd be able to plan a third city close by using the sheep.
We should be asking what techs we want in place eleven turns from now because the is when we'll be finished with our exploring workboat and will have founded our gold city. I've based my logic on what we will want to build in the capitol city at that point (warriors and another settler after the exploring workboat). I have no idea what we will build first in our gold city, nor am I clear on what our worker will be doing all this time. If the gold city needs a monument or our worker will be ready to build cottages in eleven turns I can be persuaded to change from AH. BTW, I have not voted yet, so my mind is still open to arguments in any direction.

I haven't voted yet either (it's a 48 hour poll), but I'm thinking of going for AH. It will be a while before our settler is ready and then our worker will be needed to improve the 2nd city (farm wheat, mine gold). The first place we will explore will be just SW of the cap and it may be a decent spot for a city, and if it is the first thing we'll want to do is farm those sheep.

Smokes - why did you opt for Mysticism?

I only want to go for Archery if we really have to as it's not a very useful tech right now. If we don't have any horses nearby then I think we really do need to go for Archery (and probably IW too).

I understand animal husbandry takes longer but we're going to be building a settler for at least five turns anyway (and won't start it for a couple turns). Here is my logic for choosing animal husbandry:
  • It looks as though during the time we'll be making our settler, our worker will be building roads and will not have time to make cottages so there is no need for pottery just yet.
  • We won't have our next city built for about eleven turns so there is no need for mysticism yet.
  • We could do hunting and archery in the same time as animal husbandry but after the settler (and maybe one warrior) we want another workboat to explore so we wouldn't be making a scout or archers for 3 or 4 turns after the settler anyway - so there is no need for these techs yet.
  • By getting animal husbandry now we can see if horses are nearby. If they are then we can debate the merits of scouts and archers versus chariots. If they aren't then we can do hunting quickly and then archery if need be. Also we'd be able to plan a third city close by using the sheep.
We should be asking what techs we want in place eleven turns from now because the is when we'll be finished with our exploring workboat and will have founded our gold city. I've based my logic on what we will want to build in the capitol city at that point (warriors and another settler after the exploring workboat). I have no idea what we will build first in our gold city, nor am I clear on what our worker will be doing all this time. If the gold city needs a monument or our worker will be ready to build cottages in eleven turns I can be persuaded to change from AH. BTW, I have not voted yet, so my mind is still open to arguments in any direction.

The above is a very thoughtful post. I agree with many of the points made. I would just do Hunting first.

I ran a few scenarios through on the save. The one I liked best was as follows:

After the Warrior is built, build Workboat until pop 4 is reached (2 turns) at which point switch to Settler. Finish The Wheel and start Hunting. Once Hunting is finished switch to building Scout and then back to Settler. Then research Animal Husbandry. The argument against Pottery is that we do not need it yet. Our Worker will be used for the second city to build a road and then develop Gold and Wheat. Use Worker to build road to the N. If required, we could always switch quickly to Archery. The Warrior can be used to fend of the Lions in the N. that may threaten the Worker. The Scout can be used to carefully explore down the valley. Once the Settler is finished establish second city at which time Worker is ready to mine gold. Then finish Workboat and start exploring N. along the Coast. After Pottery or Animal Husbandry is finished decide between Archery and Pottery, depending on the situation.

Hmm, well I am still not sure between AH and Hunting... - looks like we are going to need a 2nd round of voting though!

The above is a very thoughtful post. I agree with many of the points made. I would just do Hunting first.

I ran a few scenarios through on the save. The one I liked best was as follows:

After the Warrior is built, build Workboat until pop 4 is reached (2 turns) at which point switch to Settler. Finish The Wheel and start Hunting. Once Hunting is finished switch to building Scout and then back to Settler. Then research Animal Husbandry. The argument against Pottery is that we do not need it yet. Our Worker will be used for the second city to build a road and then develop Gold and Wheat. Use Worker to build road to the N. If required, we could always switch quickly to Archery. The Warrior can be used to fend of the Lions in the N. that may threaten the Worker. The Scout can be used to carefully explore down the valley. Once the Settler is finished establish second city at which time Worker is ready to mine gold. Then finish Workboat and start exploring N. along the Coast. After Pottery or Animal Husbandry is finished decide between Archery and Pottery, depending on the situation.

A Second Warrior is probably just as useful as a Workboat and I would be happy to go with that.

I voted for hunting since it seems like we're we're fairly set for several turns on what we are going to build. We can do hunting fast and still do animal husbandry or pottery before we need to use them. Hunting does open our options a bit. We can build scouts without worrying about a resource, and we can then do archery if we feel the need.

I voted for mystisism, but if you want to go AH because you feel unsafe, then I remind yoiu that going hunting first gives you a 20% discount on AH.

I voted for mystisism, but if you want to go AH because you feel unsafe, then I remind yoiu that going hunting first gives you a 20% discount on AH.

of course it does, sorry I forgot to mention that :(

Well with a 20% savings we would be crazy not to do hunting before AH! ;)

With the 20 % hunting discount for AH, I switch my vote from AH to Hunting :)

Ok, with Prov and Cav switching votes this gives Hunting 6/9 votes with the poll now close. That's a >51% majority so we go for Hunting next

Top Bottom