1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

5 city conquest challenge

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by t3h_m013, Oct 6, 2004.

1. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

Have been wanting to play a 5cc or 1cc for a while but never been brave enough to do so alone, so i thought id see if some of you better players wanted to play. And having reread arathorns guide i saw that apparently standard 5cc isnt that hard, so i thought id make it more itneresting ;)
    Also ive never played a sucession game, but another thing ive been wanting to try...

im a high standard monarch but have never tried emporer.
    I want about 5 other palyers to try a restrictive 5 city conquest challenge on monarch or emporer depending on the level of the other players.

settings
    germany (panzers will be good for arathorns advised late game rush)
    version: conquest 1.22
    map size: standard
    map type: continents
    Barbarians: none
    Age/Climate/Temperature: 4 billion/Normal/temperate
    Difficulty:emporer

rules (for those who dont know): no more than 5 cities at any point, must win by conquest.

roster:
    grs
    hajime
    gozpel
    opac
    t3h_m013

2. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

I would high advise against any barbarians. Late in a 5CC they become a royal pain. When I played a 5CC with barbs I really got sick of dispering barb camps every single turn, and constantly losing workers to an unexpected barb camp.

3. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

done, and just people no, i havnt posted a first turn screen shot as i wont play the game unless other people want to... if you follow, and i havnt started it yet. if that would helop id just start a random map and post a screenshot but whatev

4. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Ok, just because I'm low on SG's atm, I might join.

I just beat Regent in COTM and I feel quite happy. :banana:

T3, I will call you that, because you nick is impossible to read.

Make it Emperor, Continents and other settings up to you.

If you find enough players, I might step back and sit on the sideline as a tutor. If that is alright?

5. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

Reminds me on that famous 'Scouting Warlord' SG...admittedly, I never beat Warlord!

I'll never understand as well why the Americans consider leetspeek funny... :confused:

Call him The Mole instead.

6. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

im not american... im from the uk. but yes, it means the mole.
    so ill put you on the roster gozpel, and feel free to step down if it overfills (cant see it happening..)
    btw, couldnt quite understand you post was it make it emporer and you decided continents etc. or make it emporer continenents, and other setting up to you? i think thats right but not sure?

7. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

and this isnt filling up particularly fast :mad:

8. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Emperor and continents are usually pretty good settings, and when you start up the game you can set the climate and landsize.

When I think of it, I played a great 5CCC with LKendter on Deity, where he chosed small map, pangea and 5 opponents. We might consider those settings, but keep a lower difficulty level?

And give it some time, people will show up sooner or later. :)

9. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

ok, ill be patient :p. its now in the seccesion game registery

10. grs

grs nameless one

I would join it on emperor continents settings - I am not that a big fan of pangea games and already have some of them running already.

This is meant as strict as posted, i.e. we are not allowed to capture and abandon at the end of turn? I consider that much more difficult, because we can't get a second army or a Forbidden Palace. Either way is fine with me, I just wanted to have it clear.

11. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

your in, and continents it is then, sorry gozpel. and i yes i was thinking of strict 5CCC

12. Hajime

Hajime Chieftain

I'm not particularly good, but I'd like to join if possible ;). I'm only a recent Regent-level player...;)

13. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

im happy for you to join but 5ccc emporer is apparently nearly a level up, and ive never played emporer so wed be 2 weak palyers at least... if you join i think itd be sensible to look for 2 more players and only accept emporer or higherplayers?
    is that ok grs and gozpel?

14. grs

grs nameless one

With my usual ammount of text output I am not the perfect candidate for a training game, am I Gozpel? ;) Having said that, I will type a bit more this time.

I have absolutely no problem to play this with two supposedly "weaker" players. A fifth player would be nice, but that will be enough for a 5cc. What is very important in a 5cc(c) is a) city management and b) a good kill ratio. So you need to be determined to thoughtfully manage every (sounds funny when it is actually 5) city every turn and use our forces with thought, too. I am happy everytime stronger players take me in their team and I often played better where I was higher motivated. The only thing I don't want, is to get the game handed with our forces exposed due to meaningless suicide attacks and all our cities on gouvernor.

15. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

ok, hajime is in, but governer is banned and no suicidal attacks.... obviously the second condition is slightly ambigious but oh well...

16. grs

grs nameless one

I did not think this as as "rules"; rather as a piece of advice on what not to do. Don't take me as strict as I sound - it is usually not meant that way :p

17. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Chieftain

well i asgree anyway, with only 5 cities to manage the governor is hardly necesary (sp)

18. Hajime

Hajime Chieftain

Well, I don't use the governer (Unless my civ is at 15 cities or greater, then it's too much of a pain), nor do I use suicidal attacks (With one notable exception: Capital cities in a war I can't maintain. I've yet to meet an AI that won't negotiate peace (with goodies for me, no less) once their capital was taken). But, does that exception actually qualify as suicidal attacks under the given definition?

(Edit)
    I'd really like clarification on that last bit about suicidal attacks.

If a suicidal attack nets you a city, goodies, and an end of the war, is it still considered a suicidal attack? :p

19. Opac

Opac Chieftain

I would like to join this one. If you will have me it will be my 2nd SG ( the other one being GA1, which is currently running). I do play regularly on Emperor, and it usually isnt very challenging, but im not quite ready for Demigod yet, so this one sounds rather good :)

EDIT: Mole: I think you should try out Emperor in a solo game too as I dont think the leap from Monarch to Emperor is that huge, especially if one happens to lurk these forums :D

20. Hajime

Hajime Chieftain

So, what're the plans with the tech tree et al?

Since we will only have 5 cities, we won't be able to keep up with the comp for long.

I'd personally like to do a rush to Lit, with a pre-build for the GL, and then set the research slider to 0% untill the GL expires (We get Education).

I've played solo 5cc before, but Regent is my max level of 5cc, as it is for normal play. With a Regent-level 5cc, the GL was virtually required in order to keep up with any chance at all vs the comps. I'd imagine that affect is multiplied several-fold vs Monarch comps, much less Emperor.