1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

5 city conquest challenge

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by t3h_m013, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

Check my last post, Gozpel. It's there.

Count me out for a bit, hd crashed, comp is down.

2. grs

grs nameless one

3. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

hmmmm i dont see it?? and if his pc is down now? ummm dunno what im supposed to do as game starter in these situations... can one look at all his uploads? and then even if its not in that post it might still be possible to keep the game going...

4. grs

grs nameless one

I dont get where the problem is, but the save is here.

Edit: and the roster is

hajime - just played
    gozpel - played before hajime
    opac - up
    t3h_m013 - on deck
    grs

5. Opac

Opac Chieftain

I got it. (10 chars)

Edit: and here come the turns

interturn 750 AD: Do some minor MM'ing and troop movement. Note that we're kind of thin when it comes to troops, but thats how it is in the XCC games in general i guess.

turn 1 760 AD: Berlin knight -> MDI (no horses now), same for Leipzig, Kill some sumerians with kill:looses ratio at 4:1

turn 2 770 AD: Hamburg musketman -> MDI, kill ratio 9:2 now, playing defensive warfare.

interturn: England demands Gunpowder from us, We say no and they back down, phew.

turn 3 780 AD: Kill ratio now 10:2, Switch all MDI builds to colosseums as i realize they can be used as prebuild for knights since workers will connect horses soon.

turn 4 790 AD: Kill ratio 12:2

inter: our unfortified musketman defeats a longbowman easily, but our fortified on hill musketman looses to a knight inflicting only 1 hp of damage :crazyeye:

turn 5 800 AD: Hamburg MDI -> Knight ( we need offense on north front and badly) Switch 3 colosseum prebuilds to knights with total waste of 2 shields, all arriving in one turn now :) Kill ratio is 16:4

turn 6 810 AD: Berlin,Leipzig,Konisberg knight -> knight It took around 10 elite wins, but finally i got a leader Richtofen! [dance] Kil ratio 20:4

interturn: ack we loose our supply of gems as Sumeria signs Spain on military alliance vs us :(

turn 7: 820 AD: I rush Heroic Epic at Leizpig with leader, i feel that with us having 2-5 elite wins per round having leader sitting around is no good, especially with small wonder like Epic available. I dont see us getting to cavalry soon, so new army was out of question for the leader anyways. I move a stack of Doom towards Lagash. I disband our scouting galley as it has no places to explore left and we were paying 1 gpt for it. kill ratio 21:4

interturn: Spain sings Vikings against us, it means that continents have met and also means that we have another phony war on our hands

turn 8 830 AD: Leipzig heroic epic -> musketman, Munich walls -> temple, We raze Lagash at cost of 2 vet knights, killing 5 defenders, Great wall went down with Lagash. 26:6

turn 9 840 AD: 31:7 is the killratio now

turn 10 850 AD: Hamburg knight -> knight, finall killratio is 32:9.

Notes: Sumeria is starting to be pretty much gassed. Watch out for that Spanish Conquistador at our northern border.

The save

6. grs

grs nameless one

Looks good. If Sumeria's defense gets weaker we should start to push more to get techs for peace from them. We will need to start research as we are far behind. I do not think we can finish this with knights alone, so we need to get to military tradition and navigation at least. We should also be a bit carefull about the AI dogpiling us. We are already at war with 4 of them. You could rush some improvements at Munich (Lib, Court, Barracks) - the temple is unnecessary there right now.

7. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

got it, and good turns (Y). will play tomorow or friday morning. having not looked at the save i cant think of many questions? ummmm should i aim to raze a few small cities or is one large city razed more of a hindrence for them?
    any particular pointers before i start tomorow?

hajime
    gozpel
    opac - just played
    t3h_m013 - up
    grs - on deck

8. grs

grs nameless one

We should aim to raze many cities regardless of their size, we need to turn up the pressure on the AI. I would make peace with everyone but Sumeria raze as many Sumerian cities as possible and then get as many techs as possible for peace.

9. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

ok, ill raze until i run out of momentum as it were, if i dont then ill leave it up to you when you make peace.

10. Opac

Opac Chieftain

They rebuild their cities pretty quickly after they are razed, but a size one or two city with shield production capacity of around 5-6 at max is no match for the monstrous size 12 towns that pluck out units almost as fast as we kill them. If we were to target the nearest town not depending of size we would not get any progress unless they for some reason stop the rebuilding of the towns and i dont feel threatened by their just built size two town, but rather of the nearby size 12 town.

my 2 cents.

11. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

preturn: rush library in munich.
    ibt: the conquistador just starts walking through doesnt attack anything. berlin knight->knight

860AD munich library->barracks chop some forest to hurry barracks. kills 6:0, plus 2 promotions. rome will make peace for 220 gold, i decline. and sumeria wont give us a tech fr peace.

870AD kills 8:0 elite sword gives us Hengest. make a knight army as we arent nearing military tradition. then i realise i cant make an army. I fortify him in leipzig so we can disband the knight army and make a cav one when the time comes. there is nothing to rush. I start a treb, knight + army stack towards kua, hopefully it will reach sumer and kish.

880AD 14:1 trebs go 4 for 5 on kua. and my knight takes and razes kua. can get theology for peace but i will march on sumer, then see.

890AD sumeria already sending enkindo settler pairs to resettle, i will keep some knights back to stop them. 17:2 (an elite knight lost to an unfortified enkindo :S) some more forest finishes barracks.

900AD lipzig barracks->trebuchet. start pillaging sumeria with the army as i move. kill ratio 17:2

910AD stack moves next to sumer ary pillaging as it goes. not much else, small stack moves north to pamplona. kill ratio 10:1

920AD sumerians sign MA with england :S trebs go 1 for 5 on sumer, so i delay attack.

930AD loose a knight to a longbow then enkido attack. trebs go 3 for 5 on sumer revealing veteren enkido. kill an enkido and 3 pikeman and loose 1 knight. a longbow is left but i wait a turn instead of attackign as i have few hitpoint available.
    ibt: a lot of longbows and crusaders appear out of the mist scattered around. i think i will try and make peace soon.

940AD trebs go 4 for 5 on sumer the army and a knight attack and raze sumer and leo's (Y)(Y) i make peace for theology and 260 gold. not a huge amount but i feel that we could start loosing soon, also the broken deal with england will help us. i will continue the war with spain and try and raze enough northern cities to get education off them.

950AD trebs go 1 for 2 on paplona and i raze it, however im a bit stretched and may loose a knight or 2 next turn, sorry whoever turns it is. our borders expand and the colony is not need any more. final kill count 3:1 (24:8) (not very good....)

not the best turns ever, but i think i hurt the sumerians pretty good. may be worth pillaging all the unsettled land...

12. grs

grs nameless one

13. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

just to remind you've got about 4 hours to finish playing (officially).

14. grs

grs nameless one

15. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

cool, no problem.

16. grs

grs nameless one

I can't even write much about my turns, because almost nothing happened. The situation: we razed Dover - the only English city nw of us and Spain is down to 5 cities - 2 on our nw, 2 in Russian reach and one on a remote island. We should take out the 2 cities on our side and make peace for tech with them.

I turned off lux (why was it on 20%?) and set reseach to 100% on chemistry, which we will have in 3 turns. If you dare (and Sumeria has it) you could try to steal metallurgy, but only after shifting our troops there. We need canons and cavs all else is uninteresting atm. After removing Spain from our back I would go at Sumeria till they are down to 1 or 2 cities preferably.

England sends a pike, musket or longbow from time to time. I left some cats (cant move them in the nw) and 2 knights in Munich, that is enough, so stay at war if you like, Russia hurts them badly and they can't give us anything of worth.

You can end the 2 phoney wars or not. Neither Rome nor the Vikings send anything at us yet.

17. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

hajime - up
    gozpel - on deck
    opac
    t3h_m013
    grs - just played

18. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

19. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

hajime - skipped
    gozpel - up
    opac - on deck
    t3h_m013
    grs - just played

20. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

gozpel?? ummm... opac, you might wanna take this (it has been 24hrs) jsut to keep the game going, its dying, unless of course gozpel replies before you see it.