1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

5 city conquest challenge

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by t3h_m013, Oct 6, 2004.

1. grs

grs nameless one

2. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

i have done now over a day ago, i will check again on this evening and if they havnt replied ill take it (im next in line after those 3) and maybe start looking for replacements?

gozpel hajime and opac, i really need you to reply...

3. Opac

Opac Chieftain

im here, but cant pick it up in next 12 hours at least :(

4. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

The daughter cracked my C3C disk and I have got Civ Complete (couldn't find the Conquest alone) which means a new install and I have to download the patch again. The outback server is too jumpy at weekends as always, I'm sure the guy is constantly drunk Fri-Sun.

So I won't be able to play anything until next week.

5. gozpel

I'm such an idiot....CIV3 Complete wouldn't be very complete if it wasn't patched already. So I can play after all.

I take it after Opac if that's alright?

6. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

Skip me for a bit. I'll be back in the game soon - last week + this week == tough.

Clients + nearing end of quarter + this time of year == just hard for me ;).

7. Opac

Opac Chieftain

here come the turns:

preturn: Make pece straight up with Scandinavia, but leave Rome to be as they would require ~200 gold for it

turn 1 1060 AD: England came up with 4 knights one of them elite, i'll see what i can do, peace would give us 350 gold discount of education.

turn 2 1070 AD: Note that Sumeria is building Newton's, hope he doesnt get rifles anytime soon. We're forced to make peace with England as RNG screws us over royally and we cant kill but one knight with 4 trebs and 3 knights. We make peace with England giving 550 gold for education

turn 3:1080 AD: France builds Copernicus. We get Chemistry and trade it to Russia with Wines and get Furs+Astronomy back. Make peace with Rome giving Chemistry and them giving us Printing press and music theory. Chemistry and 120 gold to France for banking. Note that we have 6 turns of peace treaty with Sumeria left. Had to raise luxtax to 10% as war happiness that came from English war ended. I shut down the Research as we would be broke after 1/3rd if going for Metallurgy.

turn 4 1090 AD: Troop movement

turn 5 1100 AD: Notice that its a bit worrying that we're weak against Sumeria.

turn 6: 1110 AD: Troops are starting to be at the Sumeria border

turn 7 1120 AD: I see no reason not to sell iron to france so it goes there and they pay 32 gpt for the priviledge. ( brings us faster to point we can attempt stealing. Switch all big towns to banks, there wont be much waste even if the next player decides to convert back to knights.

turn 8 1130 AD: nothing, but France attempting to sell us world map but i reject the deal since we need the cash ourselves

turn 9 1140 AD: nothing

turn 10 1150 AD: nothing

Note: the lone knight in the north is there to pillage the Sumerian saltpeter after they connect it. We are soon to have enough gold to attempt immediate steal.

The Save

8. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

hajime - auto skip i guess (just but in when you wanna play again)
    opac - just played
    gozpel - up (i changed the roster a bit, hope thats ok)
    t3h_m013 - on deck
    grs

good to see the game going again. assuming gozpel is fine to now take this then there should be at least 30 turns played relatively quickly.

9. gozpel

Ok, I got it.

10. gozpel

Pre-turn - Konigsberg has a clown and will starve next turn, the people is unhappy because of lacking MP's. Fix that.

Swap Munich to aqueduct.

It's time to put another dent in Sumeria, they are still doing pretty good. A couple of techs up on us and they have 4.7k in the bank! I want to give them a punch before they hook up that saltpeter.

First peace with Spain for Physics, which I give to France for Navigation, WM, 1gpt and 14g.
    WM to Rome for spices and WM, luxtax back to zero.

Tell Sumeria to remove their troops and they declare. Kill off a couple of LB's and a settler/enkidu pair.

Assault on Kuara: 2 knights kills 2 enkidu and raze the city, we get one slave and 151g.

Assault on Kutha: 3 knights takes care of 2 pikes, we raze the city and gain another slave and 156g.

5 trebs hit 2 enkidus with settler down to one hp, 2 muskets kill them and gather the slaves.

Establish embassy with England for 62g and send them against Sumeria for Physics. Sell WM to Lizzy for 8gpt and 15g.

Embassy with Rome for 75g, they are at war with the Vikings. Rome is pop 7 with 3 clowns, possibly heavy warweariness.

WM and 2g to Russia for ivory.

Physics to Rome for dyes and incense, they are still annoyed with us, so I gift them wines and they are polite. I did this to hopefully take control of the luxes, so France can't trade for them. But then, Caesar isn't really the most reliable guy, so let's see if he wants the wines more than unhappy people.

1160AD - We successfully defends against a sumerian knight. Sumer completes Bach.

We attack Marad, kill 3 pikes and a LB, losing an elite knight in the process. We raze the city, gaining 248g and 3 slaves.

Upgrade our 3 horses to knights for 360g.

Move units to Agade, army kills pike.

1170AD - Army redlines, but kill a pike. Knights kill the remaining 2 pikes, one dies in the process and we raze the city. Gain 263g and 7 slaves.

Our troops needs healing, so I can't push on right now.

To keep our workers busy, I start dragging water to Hamburg. All those hills will make a good increase in shields.

1180AD - Munich will grow to pop 7 next turn and I rush the aqueduct for 248g.

Kill a LB.

1190AD - England wants us to fight Russia, fat chance.

Sumeria sign alliance with France against Russia.

We lose a knight IT, but kill a LB.

Hamburg bank -> knight.
    Munich aqueduct -> market.

Kill a stray LB.

3 knights attack Zalabam, we kill 2 enkidu's and a LB. Raze the city and get 179g plus a slave.

Rush the bank in Berlin for 204g, so 3 cities finishes banks at the same time. We need more military, that's why.

Ragnar is going down against Rome, they only have 2 cities left.

Line up trebs and knights for the assault on Isin next turn.

1200AD - Sumeria starts Shakes.

Berlin, Leipzig and Konigsberg build banks -> knights. We earn an extra 30gpt, which is up to 153 right now.

Trebs go 4/6, but I don't care. We lose 1 knight killing 3 pikes, a crusader and a LB.
    Get 283 gold, 2 trebs and 5 workers as loot.

1210AD - Spain ally with Sumeria against us :)

Move stack next towards York.

An interesting note, Sumeria would give Metallurgy and ToG for 100gpt and peace. When I see rifles I better take it, but before that I can hurt them a bit more.

1220AD - Movements.

1230AD - York is gone, but I almost didn't make it. It was guarded by 7 pikes, I'm glad we only lost one knight. 200 something gold and 5 more slaves and 2 trebs.

1240AD - Move trebs to Der.

1250AD - Our pathetic trebs go 3/13, our army kills a pike and then lose 9 straight hp's to a reg pike and dies. Build another army with Hengest. We lose another 3 knights before we finally kill off the 5 pikes and raze Der.

Now I do something I don't usually do, trading on my last turn, so please forgive me.

Our rep is already shot. France knows Metallurgy and Magnetism, Rome knows only Magnetism.

I sign peace with Sumeria for ToG, paying them 48gpt.
    ToG to France for Metal and 1gpt.
    ToG and Metal to Rome for Magnetism.

All these techs to Russia for Democracy and Economics and we are in the next age.

We draw Nationalism, Russia and Sumeria draw Steam.
    Nationalism to Sumeria for Steam and Military Tradition!

If someone thinks this was cheesy, live with it. Our rep is trashed already and a broken alliance won't hurt us more. At least there wasn't any gpt involved with England and the alliance, if that helps? And we got some good stuff, which I doubt we would have gotten in some more honorable hands. :)

We have some colonies, we need to try to protect them for as long as possible. But settlers of different colors will come soon, so don't sweat it if we can't protect everything. Major colonies are the silks and the saltpeter, an english settler pair is on their way to the last.

I'm happy to announce we have coal near Hamburg, so workers started to rail.

Our economy is healthy, 5911g and 109 gpt.

11. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

blimey sumeria only have 4/5 cities left.i was thinking abuot thsi earlier. with civs like sumeria that i guess we could kill of if we wanted to do we kill them off? or leave them weak? for the late rush having large areas of different nationalities will be annoying, and we could use the trade with weakened civs? but being a conquest each civ gone is 1 less war alter.

12. Opac

Opac Chieftain

I've lost my motivation to play Civ3 for the time being, so remove me from the roster. It was fun and nice experiement to play with you guys, good luck with the game.

13. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

ok, ill try and get another player, and sorry i didn't realise i was up, my bad. got it

14. Hajime

Hajime Warlord

15. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

im still up (sorry, bit busy at the mo) so you can go after me if youd prefer.

gozpel - just played
    t3h_m013 - up
    hajime - on deck
    grs

hope thats ok with everyone.

16. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

I'm game. Sign me up if you don't mind.

This would be my second 5CC which was also my first SG. However, that one was Always War Emperor. Pillage, pillage and more pillage.

R&L has 7 players and i'm not up for 5 more turn sets and I'll be done w/ Ank11 this evening so, If I can join the rotation, please put me anywhere in the order you would like.

17. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

your in, theres nothing you particularly need to know. normal sg ruless (bit slack though) and the games going a bit slowly due to a few problems in a row.
    gozpel - just played
    t3h_m013 - up
    hajime - on deck
    grs
    jb1964
    oh yea, what do you like to be called?

18. t3h_m013

t3h_m013 Prince

pre turn: i decide that pillaging can only help our cause so i start to pillage ex sumerian lands, i will leave roads open for quick movement though.

1255AD scandinavia and rome sign a peace treaty.i switch hamburg to iron works, done in 9 turns. it will

ibt: worker blockade to the north makes settler/musket pair turn back. russians foudn Chita NE of Munich.

1260AD Lots of RRing, Some pillaging. not much really.

1265AD same again. trade silks to france for 6gpt. not much difference but might improve relations. upgrade our musketmen.

1270AD our fur deal runs out so i trade furs and 5gpt for silks and spices. just realised that i may have been stupid in trading silks as we might break deals.
    all cities are connected to the rail network, now to rail every square in our empire...see a spanish caravel off shore to the west, probably contains a settler but we have no navy so itll probably land and setlle. change berlin from cavalry to frigate just in case.

1275AD same again really.

1280AD france and sumeria sign mpp. Konigsburg cavalry->worker. After our gpt deal with england ends we should go to war again and take brighton quickly to avoid reinforcements getting to london etc.

1285AD same again berlin frigate->worker

1290AD loads of wars suddenly break out. England is at war with sumeria, russia, france, scandinavia and spain. Russia are at war with france spain england sumeria. I make peace with spain for 473g and WM.

1295AD hamburg finishes the iron works and has 60 uncurrupted spt, i set it to churn out cavalry.

1300AD trade 38gpt for dyes insence and spices with the romans.

notes, ummmmm go to war with england pronto.

19. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

jb's fine but my given name is John. I have answered to both at various times these past 40 years.

20. jb1964

jb1964 Hunter of Fish

Iron works in a 5CC? Very nice.

Also, I'm loving these bargain basement prices on luxuries.