Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Isabella - Spain

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Roll Thedice V - Random

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
This old poll is now closed, please use June's new 5 Most Fun & Addictive Leaders poll!

============================
Which leaders have you had the most fun playing in "balance-combined" Civilization? Not best or most powerful, just your most enjoyable games.

This is multiple choice: pick ~4-6 (or so) of your favorites! I plan on doing more work on leader balance in the next testing cycle. :thumbsup:

Do I have to be afraid that the best leaders get a nerf? I am hestitant on voting ^^

One thing that really bothers me (my favorite is Darius of Persia), is the change for golden ages in the next patch from +1 :c5production: to +20% :c5production:. I think that really nerfs his trait.

Naw, I'm not going to nerf leaders that are already exciting, making the others more enjoyable is the goal! As Spock would say, dragging fun leaders down to un-fun levels would be illogical. :goodjob:

It's not about buffs/nerfs or best/worst this time. Fun and favorites are a very subjective thing. If a leader simply got +30% gold and nothing else, that'd be powerful, but probably not as fun as some cool bonus that changes gameplay in a more interesting way. I like traits that let us play differently instead of just better.

My goal with the balance mods is to give us more options. If half the leaders are exciting while half are "meh" there's great potential to improve our options. I'll look at favorite leaders, figure out what makes them enjoyable, and use that as a guide to spice up the others. :)

Naw, I'm not going to nerf leaders that are already exciting, making the others more enjoyable is the goal! As Spock would say, dragging fun leaders down to un-fun levels would be illogical. :goodjob:

It's not about buffs/nerfs or best/worst here. Fun and favorites are a very subjective thing. If a leader simply got +30% gold and nothing else, that'd be powerful, but probably not as fun as some cool bonus that changes gameplay in a more interesting way. I like traits that let us play differently instead of just better.

My goal with the balance mods is to give us more options. If half the leaders are exciting while half are "meh" there's great potential to improve our options. I'll look at favorite leaders, figure out what makes them enjoyable, and use that as a guide to spice up the others. :)

I was hoping this would be your approach. The earlier "buffs" have already been one of the major ways in which TBC makes the game significantly more fun to play.

I've been thinking of ways to redesign Bismark's trait for a long time now. I think the randomness of it makes it too hard to plan strategies around. I'm going to wait until after the weekend to start discussion about leaders though, to give everyone a chance to vote who wants to do so. :)

I love the Native American (Iroquois and Inca) traits as is. Please, if you have to make one change, just make Hiawatha's ability work outside his borders as well as in.

To quote myself a few times from the Leaders thread:

The one civ I was surprised to not see touched was Bismarck. His biggest issue is the extreme lack of decent synergy of a hit or miss UA with two mediocre UUs. I think an easy, yet not too powerful solution would to give his forces a 5% combat boost in foreign lands (i.e. a weaker replication of the Foreign Legion's ability) in addition to the barbarian deal. His cheap landsnecht plus barb pickups seem to indicate a rolling horde playstyle (which is basically what Furor Teutonicus means), and 5% to a lot of units would perfectly synergize this.

The other idea that was thrown out there was Blitzkrieg UA - a 20% unit xp increase and/or a move after attack promotion.

I have to say, playing America with this mod, the Pioneer is fun, but for the most part, useless. Whats worse, the AI has had issues with it, where the guarding unit cannot keep up, leaving it exposed.

Here are my suggestions for America:
Replace the Minuteman(silly name anyhow) with the Pioneer. Remove any combat buffs, make it cheaper than a base muksetman and give it the ability to found new cities.

Replace the silly bomber with the Immigration Station UB
Code:
		<Row>
			<Type>BUILDING_AMERICAN_PORT</Type>
			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_SEAPORT</BuildingClass>
			<Cost>140</Cost>
			<GoldMaintenance>2</GoldMaintenance>
			<Culture>2</Culture>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_NAVIGATION</PrereqTech>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_AMERICAN_PORT</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_AMERICAN_PORT_TEXT</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_AMERICAN_PORT_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_AMERICAN_PORT_HELP</Help>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_SEAPORT</ArtDefineTag>
			<Water>true</Water>
			<MinAreaSize>10</MinAreaSize>
			<HurryCostModifier>25</HurryCostModifier>
			<IconAtlas>SNBUILD_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<NeverCapture>true</NeverCapture>
			<PortraitIndex>4</PortraitIndex>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<BuildingType>BUILDING_AMERICAN_PORT</BuildingType>
			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_PRODUCTION</FlavorType>
			<Flavor>40</Flavor>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_GROWTH</FlavorType>
			<Flavor>40</Flavor>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_CULTURE</FlavorType>
			<Flavor>10</Flavor>
		</Row>
	<Building_YieldModifiers>
		<Row>
			<YieldType>YIELD_FOOD</YieldType>
			<Yield>15</Yield>
		</Row>
	</Building_YieldModifiers>
	<Building_SeaResourceYieldChanges>
		<Row>
			<YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
			<Yield>2</Yield>
		</Row>
	</Building_SeaResourceYieldChanges>

The Immigration Station synergizes well with the UA and UU, making the civ best played by boldly settling new locations once it hits Ren, and rewarding these with faster growth on the coast.

(Plus I already have Icon art for it!)

Let's continue discussion about changes in the Leaders thread here so people don't have to look in multiple places to find the conversation. :goodjob:

This thread's poll I'll be leaving open for a few weeks, and the results will guide my priorities during that time.

Which leaders have you had the most fun playing in "balance-combined" Civilization? Not best or most powerful, just your most enjoyable games.

This is multiple choice: pick ~5 (or so) of your favorites! I plan on doing more work on leader balance in the next testing cycle. :thumbsup:

Sorry. There were only 5 leaders I finished games with so far, so I had to chose them. :(

Mongolia was my #6 - I shoulda voted for him! Didn't know he wouldn't get any love...:sad:

1 - Ramesses II - Egypt
2 - Ramesses II - Egypt
3 - Ramesses II - Egypt
4 - Ramesses II - Egypt
5 - Ramesses II - Egypt

:king::cool::goodjob:

Sorry, but I love to build wonders and since the MOD rebalance them to make them useful, it's always Ramesses II.

It also is the most all-around civ to me:

- UA helps getting wonders early, which improve your empire in lots of ways - culture, faster improvements, techs, happiness etc.
- the unique building is great for both happiness and culture. And it doesn't have any maintenance, which helps financially.
- the unique unit liberate my sometimes scarse horse resource to build only horsemen, I can build more of them and the great mobility of the chariots is a great advantage. So it's a good civ militarily early in the game too.

You get a lot of bonuses in every area and aspect of the game, and they all come early, which gives you a certainty of prosperity throughout the game.

Okay, I am one of those two poor voters having fun with Bismarck from time to time. My strategy is to have an army as large and as early as possible (due to the Barbarian supply), to destroy the civilizations nearby and to have a nice time spreading my cities and upgrading my units. Later in the game I am trying to reach world domination with my powerful army.

My other favourites are Nebuchadnezzar and Harun al-Rashid as I can follow a completely different kind of long term strategy.

Rashid would be best, if
- diplomacy weren't broken, so that you could keep your trade partners along the game
- the Camel Archer wouldn't suck in movement

Top Bottom