5CC Strategy

sourboy

Awakening...
Ok, I'm attempting a 5CC for learning purposes. My problem is that even though I have great city locations (lucked out), I have horrible resource locations, and my neighbors are all warring against me. If I am unable to build swordsman, I cannot launch a solid offensive to push for a peace treaty (which I assume you want to milk in the 5CC) - but I also do not want to play defensive, as it will stunt my growth (Culturally).

So what's the trick to being successful at a 5CC or even a OCC?

~military (for unavoidable wars)

~diplomacy

~resources

A lot of what is said in there is what I presumed. They are also tough tasks in most ways - but I guess that's the point :D

I guess I wasn't sure about razing cities and such, and on the side, what is the best government to have if you want a huge military? In fact, what's the best to worst in terms of military size vs empire drawbacks, and the specific drawbacks?

Well, with only 5 cities, the free unit support of monarchy won't be worth it, so you'd do better in republic. The only help from Monarchy would be the military police, but you probably wouldn't need them if you use the luxury slider-which would be powerful due to your low-corrupt cities.

Despotism: 4/4/4 (free units for town/city/metropolis)
Monarchy: 2/4/8
Communism: 2/4/8
Republic/democracy: 0

However, republic/democracy would make twice as much money, so would easily cover the unit support costs better than the other governments, especially if you have marketplaces, banks, etc.

For a non-5CC game, monarchy is the better 'always war' kind of government. It doesn't have the tile penalty of despotism, and has better corruption, and allows more military police. Communism is really bad-Every new city adds more corruption to all your existing cities. Monarchy also uses money instead of population to rush things (which is good). Communism does offer more military police and better spies, but that isn't a good enough incentive.

Top Bottom