6.4 earthquake ravages the beautiful coast of BC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Maniacal, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Yeah we didn't get much of a wave from the big quake in Japan earlier this year, thankfully that Tsunami ran out of steam long before it hit us.

2. Orange Seeds

Orange Seeds playing with cymbals

I felt it! I was on the third floor of the Buchanan buildings out at UBC. I thought the shaking was construction or something.

3. RedFred

RedFred Chieftain

I felt it. And the building sway lasted about 30 seconds. But I was up on the 20th floor of the BC Gas/Teresin/Fortis/Whichamacallit building.

4. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

a little while ago i read (without verifying) a story about how the recent increased melting of glaciers was increasing the frequency and magnitude of earthquakes worldwide. something about post-glacial rebound effect. not true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_impacts_of_climate_change#Earthquakes

5. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I haven't read into it but that is possibly slightly related. The weight of the glaciers during the ice ages compressed the surface and it is apparently still rising back up from the last ice age.

6. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

This is total garbage and you know it. Seriously? Did we all just decide Northridge and Loma Prieta didn't happen? Hell, 1992 alone was a bad year for Cali.

The former is a great example, incidentally, of why "Richter scale magnitude" doesn't translate too well to "your ability to feel it and its ability to do damage".

7. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

Well, it's good it wasn't severe and no significant damage was caused.

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I think that if you have a lot of change in the mass of glaciers, then you're going to have some seismic events related to that. But I don't know to what extent one decade's reduction in glaciers would have that effect.

9. Silurian

Silurian Deity

The sea level rise would have to be significant for saltwater intrusion to cause earthquakes as predicted sealevel rises are not that great.

Earthquakes caused by the melting of glaciers will occur where the glaciers were, as the rock "springs" upwards over the next twenty thousand years.