1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6 Cows, 1 Wheat, and 2 Silks

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Newbunkle, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

Attached is a screenshot of a game I've just started. Close by I have the resources mentioned in the thread title.

I thought I'd enter a number into the world seed and see what happened. I haven't loaded the map up in the editor, because I don't want to "cheat" and see the map before I finish the game.

Here are the game settings:

World Seed: 60238940 (an important number to me ;) )
    World Size: Large
    Continents - 70% Ocean
    Average Moisture
    Average Temperature
    "Flat" Terrain (I always forget if that's older or younger :rolleyes: )

Attached Files:

2. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Wow! And just look at all the BG's too. China is my favorite civ to play, so maybe I'll give it a try. :D

Edit: I tried it and got the same map on Regent level (didn't work on Monarch), but Beijing was located right where the barb is fortified to the SE of the mountain. All the cows are there and I had to scout a ways to find the silks south of Beijing. Hmmmm, don't know if I'll play it out or not, but it's sure a nice start. :p

3. Cheeze

Cheeze Civ Re-Re-Re-Addict

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :lol:

Lol you also have 2 fish.
    A start farther north seems like it would be better, more centralized capital and you get to the moo cows quicker! :clap:

4. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

Pity is that there is no hill. You have too many foods, but no place to spend. And the position where all 6 cows are in city radius is not with fresh water. How about split those cows and settle several cities around fresh water? For example, the place where your active warrior sits or NW from it looks good, because you can use the cow to work the mountain, and a city center on a plain will generate 2 shields after pop reachs 7.

5. Prince David

Prince David David di Xeno

Nice! In this situation I would move the current settler a tile to the south-west, allowing him to pick up three cows and possibly four bonus squares right off the bat. I wouldn't worry about irrigating the cows - once you are out of despot cows + plains will give you plenty of food and the shield bonuses + mines should result in a fairly productive city. The next settler should go in the hidden tile just to the south-east of that cow's behind. This would be a pretty decent city with 2 cows and two bonus tiles, with a fish once you expand. Alternately place the second just to the north-east of that same cow and when you can build a harbor get lots of food from the fishie.

6. Pacifist

Pacifist Warlord

I'd put a city where I placed the YELLOW and RED dots.

On the YELLOW dot, the city would initially get ...
    -- 2 cows, 1 fish, 1 bonus grassland and 2 forests
    When the border expands, the city would get ...
    -- 4 cows, 2 fishes, 1 bonus grassland and 4 forests
    The city will also be a coastal city, which will benefit with a harbor and commercial dock.
    The city will also be 5 tiles away from Shanghai (no city radius overlaps)
    In the long run, I'd irrigate the cow tiles and plant forest in the remaining non-bonus grasslands. You then should have 6 forests (12 shields), 1 bonus grassland (1 shield w/o mines) and the also whatever production the city square has. With all the irrigated cow tiles, food should be abundant for growth.

On the RED dot, the city would initially get 2 bonus grasslands.
    When the border expands, it will also get the leftover cow, which can be used to work the mountain.
    By the looks of the mountain (north), there is a river nearby. Irrigation could be started on the surrounding plains.
    The coast would also be 3 tiles away, which is ideal for a non-coastal city.

Looks like a good map. I may try it for myself too :)

-Pacifist-
    "A good start can go a long way"

7. Twonky

Twonky King

I would want more towns on that beautiful start. Maybe like this:

Attached Files:

8. Prince David

Prince David David di Xeno

Both sets of suggestions have merit. However, I've started placing my first 8-12 cities much closer together - generally using CxxC as much as possible. This makes moving troops between cities a one turn affair (and going "domino style" I can move a "troop" from one end of my kingdom to the other in 1 turn). Plus, even if my border expands I really don't often have the pop to justify a 21 tile city until much later in the game (and hospitals are a long way off!). I try to play to the fact that my cities will be smallish (8-12 pop tops) for a very long time and maximize my tile utilization.

With this much food you could probably have 3 or four settler factories meaning none of those cities would get above 3 or 4 pop (and even then for only for a turn or two)for a very long time.

9. Kayak

Kayak Partisan

With that start I would be afraid that some other vital resource (read iron) would be missing. Happens to me all the time!

Or that you are stuck way out in the middle of nowhere and the Ais will out tech you and out expand you as well.

What level are you playing BTW?

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I once started a game with three cows in my capitals radius. I was like "YEAYA!"...

...turned out I was on a small island, and besides the grassland in my capital's radius, it was ALL DESERT! :sad:

Just warning you: may look good, but it isn't. Also, put a lot more cities near the cows. Give a city 2 cows each. Don't waste the cows with one city.

11. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

The resource shortage worried me too, but there are some nearby. A few tiles north of my 'top' warrior are some horses, and a little further north again is some iron. It's actually closer to an opponent's start than mine, but those cows helped me to expand fast. There is also some game in one of the forest tiles just out of sight on the left. I don't know about other resources as I haven't had much time to play it. I'm on a continent with several other opponents.

Thanks for the dot maps. I actually put my cities right on top of most of them (from different maps). The yellow dot in particular was where I settled my next city.

12. ForbiddenPalace

ForbiddenPalace Warlord

Never see that many COWS. :scan:

13. akinkhoo

akinkhoo Biotechnologist

i got alot of cows in my game too. :D

playing chinese too, regent, small island, huge map, 16 civ.
    but i change the leader to my name. :mischief: :crazyeye:

there is no river so it is a bit of a challenge to control the 6 pop limit against 8 cow! :lol: so 3 cities are needed there, i plant shanghai at the southwestern coast and canton beside the 2 cities.

i retried the map a 2nd time and shift beijing to the coast; already in midgame for that one. of course, it is easy to win AI on island map :p there are still those that ocuppy large island and has another civ to trade with in their earlygame which makes the game interesting when my fleet come knocking... :king:

Attached Files:

14. Heroes

:lol: Probably you can make a 3-turn settler factory, you just need 10 spt and 10 fpt :D

15. Xerol

Xerol Emperor

Actually you'd need 10 fpt and 15 spt.

16. Heroes

15 spt is impossible before pop > 6 ...