1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

60 Seconds to What?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Returning Lurker, May 5, 2017.

1. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

I've got mixed feelings on Civ 6's victory conditions. None of them apart from the religious victory really feel like I've indisputably "won" so to speak. One victory I've hated in every Civ game however is the time limit victory. Nothing feels less satisfying than the game just stopping apropos of nothing and declaring one side the bestest evaar. I never even come close to reaching the time limit but still, just the thought of it being there, the thought that MAYBE it could be triggered, it drives me nuts. But, I can just turn it off right? No skin off my nose, I'll just disable it and I'll never have to deal with it again... well, the game doesn't seem to agree. Even when I explicitly turn off the time victory the in game clock still says I have X/500 turns to win. So... what? Is this just bugged? If I reach 500 turns will the game just stop even though I specifically told it not to or is the timer just their for giggles? Why doesn't the timer go away even when I disable time victories?

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

The X/500 is just the standard time the game lasts, there's no reason you can't continue after, just like when you press "just one more turn".

I myself never turn the timer off though, for a very simple reason. It means you can't see the scores of the players, as it is the score victory, and disabled victory options don't show in the victory screen.

3. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

But my question is why is the timer even there if I've turned off a time victory? Will anything happen if I hypothetically reach 500 even though I've turned off time? And so far the victory screen still gives me a score ranking at the end even when I've turned off time (It keeps giving me low scores even when I conquer half the world's land mass and build wonders in every single city but whatever).

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Then they changed the victory screen. I never turned it off anymore for that reason.

Anyways, it should just keep going. Remember how, before the last patch, the "/500" wasn't even there? It's just a change to tell people how many turns the game (normally) lasts. The game ends when any civ achieves a victory condition, but that won't happen at turn 500 because the score victory is turned off, so you can't win by having the highest score.

Score is mostly dependent on district by the way, I think.

5. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

Alright then. Just seems weird to keep the timer there if it doesn't mean anything.

6. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Warlord

unless they changed it in the last patch, there is also an option like "turn limit", that lets you set the duration of the game in turns. you can disable it, which automatically disables score victory condition.

7. donald23

donald23 Warlord

You disabled the score victory, not the timer.
    The turn timer is a separate option, a bit lower in the advanced setup screen.

So now you have 500 turns to achieve a victory (same as always). But if you do not achieve one of the victories, you'll lose the game by turn 500. And then can continue by using the "Just one more turn..." button.

nzcamel and c4c6 like this.
  8. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

Yes I think people are getting confused by the difference between a score victory and the turn limit. Best option is to leave score victory on but then set the turn limit to custom and 0. This lets you still see scores on the leaderboard but will not trigger a turn defeat or win.

9. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

...WHY IS THAT NOT THE SAME THING? Who would ever have one on without the other? They can't even make some basic map settings yet they can make turn timer and score victory different things even though they both literally depend on one another to exist?

10. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I preferred it without the "/total turns" (1500 in my case ;) ) as it was just easier to read. Experienced players tend to know what the total turns are. My 5 cents is that they should darken the colour of the "/total turns" to draw our eyes in the first instance to the current turn number. Yeah, I'm picky lol :rolleyes: