[Civ2] Civilization II MGE User Interface Additions (CIV2UIA)

I'll fiddle with it some more. It's straightforward, but I must have done something wrong. Could be the fascism mod.

Heyo, thanks for this mod, very helpful. Easy-to-use as well.

One suggestion: When building Adam Smith's, we lose the ability to see how many libraries, markets, harbours we have built across our civ. (city improvements with 1 gold-per-turn upkeep costs) Adam Smith's pays for that. But it's annoying to lose the ability to see how many of them we have built, it makes planning celebrations/early landing games quite annoying.

Is there a way to fidget with the launcher so that it still shows the amount of built libraries/marketplaces/etc. even when Adam Smith's is built? (Simply display the upkeep costs as: 0g.) That would be lovely, I think.

New version 1.9 (build 59).

Heyo, thanks for this mod, very helpful. Easy-to-use as well.

One suggestion: When building Adam Smith's, we lose the ability to see how many libraries, markets, harbours we have built across our civ. (city improvements with 1 gold-per-turn upkeep costs) Adam Smith's pays for that. But it's annoying to lose the ability to see how many of them we have built, it makes planning celebrations/early landing games quite annoying.

Is there a way to fidget with the launcher so that it still shows the amount of built libraries/marketplaces/etc. even when Adam Smith's is built? (Simply display the upkeep costs as: 0g.) That would be lovely, I think.

Hi, Jokemaster! Thank you for suggestion!
Added:
Show buildings even with zero maintenance cost in Trade Advisor.
It shows even Palace! ;)

Download:
https://github.com/FoxAhead/Civ2-UI-Additions/releases/tag/v1.9

First of all, I thank you FoxAhead for your work.
Civ2.42 has been my long time favorite game.
I needed to retain a 32 bit PC for the exclusive ability to play 2.42.
The advent of 64 bit operating systems and the obsolescence of 32 bit has been a concern.
While previous methods let me play MGE on a 64 bit machine, the Hostile AI made it no fun at all.
I like to play civ2 on a laptop while travelling, and the power draw on an older pc did not let me play for long on a long flight.
So far, testing looks good, although I have not competed a game yet.

One problem I have is a strange one.
Over time, I accumulate many saves and I want to delete them.
I see the saves in the list when I ask to load a game, but when I try to access the list on the "C" drive, they are nowhere to be found.
In the civ load screen, the path is program files(x86)/micropose software/civilization II multiplayer gold edition.
Yet, when I look at the list under the C drive, they are nowhere to be found.
All I see is the original TUTORIAL.SAV.
I must be missing something simple.
What I want to be able to do is to delete an accumulation of .SAV files.

1.You can use this UIA patch and will have 'no hostility' 200 turns like in 2.42,I tested this with GOTM197.
2.You can use 'search' function of Windows,search a save and when will see it choose 'open folder location'.You must see in that folder all your old saves.

I've been using your utility and it works quite nice. A recent Win10 patch broke the CPU throttle script I had been using previously, and I really like the new features you've added.

Hello. I downloaded your launcher, unzipped to my directory, and clicked on play. I received the following message: "Error: Wrong size of game exe file. Game version Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3) supported only." I don't understand this because this game is a MGE I've had since 1996 and only now was able to load and run again (Thanks to your other patches!) Can you enlighten me as to why I would get this message on a MGE game?

Hello. I downloaded your launcher, unzipped to my directory, and clicked on play. I received the following message: "Error: Wrong size of game exe file. Game version Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3) supported only." I don't understand this because this game is a MGE I've had since 1996 and only now was able to load and run again (Thanks to your other patches!) Can you enlighten me as to why I would get this message on a MGE game?
Hi, 68 GTO! You can check game version in the game menu Game - Game Options (Ctrl+O).
upload_2018-8-27_13-17-35.png

Thank you very much. All works well and your tweaks and generous help are much appreciated! Just one question/suggestion. In the city window, the General Information Box, I often accumulate more units than I can see. Quite often I want to access the hidden ones but am unable to so. Have you considered a scrollable box for these units?

Hello!

My PC made a black out. During the recovery, I was forced to go to version 8 of Windows, instead of the 7th version. Now, unfortunately, not a single version of civilization is being launched. Before the disaster I had on my PC several installed versions of the game: the usual civilization-2, your version with a launcher, and also TOTPP. All of them excellently worked. Now, unfortunately, I can not run any of them. Everyone without exception gives out a standard error (see the figure, written: "Civ2.exe - application error", "Error when starting the application (0xc0000022) .To exit the application, click" Ok ".)

Новый точечный рисунок.jpg

I tried to download your version again, but also received this error message. Please, tell me how to fix this error and run the game?

Thank you very much. All works well and your tweaks and generous help are much appreciated! Just one question/suggestion. In the city window, the General Information Box, I often accumulate more units than I can see. Quite often I want to access the hidden ones but am unable to so. Have you considered a scrollable box for these units?
You mean these areas?
upload_2018-8-28_11-39-49.png

That would be not easy. If you want to access unit standing in the city then you can do this in the map screen placing cursor on the city tile and choosing 'Activate unit' order ('A' key). There I made a scrollbox for selecting unit in the stack with size more than 9 units. But if you want to access all units supported by this city then still nothing is implemented for this purpose.
May be later I'll see what I can do.

Hi FoxAhead,

I'm very puzzled by the problems I'm having at the moment. I used your program with Civ2 for weeks while I was playing the game continuously and NEVER had this problem. I probably started the game with your program 50+ times over that period.

Now after a few weeks of not playing the game I tried to start up Civ2 and I got this error below. When it happened a few times I just mucked around turning some stuff on and off in the options. Retold it where the files where even though it already knew. Then the game worked again for the rest of the day every time I started it.

Now a couple of days later I'm trying again and its happening again. Except this time no amount of messing around appears to be waking it up. I don't know why things are different now compared to a few weeks ago. I've got quite a few things open so maybe it doesn't like something I've got open. I don't know. Either way it's pretty annoying that I now periodically can't start the game.. one minute it's working.. one minute it's not. Is there a logfile or something I can send you? I can't see one.

upload_2018-9-2_22-37-12.png

Oh wait I think I figured out what's different. Sure enough it doesn't like one of the things I have open. From the looks of things it's BiglyBT (formerly Vuze, formerly Azureus before that). The moment I open that program and start downloading stuff the moment I get the dll error with your program. Strange! Oh well at least I know how to the avoid the problem now!
Hi, Blake00!
Yes, I think I know the reason. As I wrote before:
Also I remember having bad experience with MS Game Explorer (GameUX.dll) interfering with old games like civ2.exe. When you run old game then this Game Explorer starts additional process rundll32.exe trying to connect Internet, and if it can't then this process hangs forever.
That Game Explorer on Windows 7 is really annoying. You can meet a lot of complaints about it on the Web. I remember having some troubles playing Civ2 on notebook away from Internet. Without Internet connection it just did not start. I solved this by renaming CIV2.EXE in something like CIV2_.EXE. Another solution is to filter Game Explorer with firewall right after installing fresh Windows 7 and never letting it out. If it connects to MS servers then it makes some changes in your local database and every next time will try to connect to server before allowing you to launch the game.
That is really crazy: why should I connect to Internet to play old game?!
So when you have some heavy traffic on your Internet connection (with BiglyBT for example) then maybe Game Explorer can not connect that fast. My launcher waits about 20 seconds for the game to launch.
Try to check this theory launching just Civ2.exe without my launcher and check how much time does it takes to start. You can even observe what processes are starting in your system.
From my side I just can extent this timeout from 20 seconds to 1 minute for example.

New version 1.11 (build 61).

Added scrollbar for supported units in the city window. And a number of total supported units.
upload_2018-9-3_2-28-31.png

Increased launch timeout from 20 seconds to 1 minute.

Download:
https://github.com/FoxAhead/Civ2-UI-Additions/releases/tag/v1.11

I made the list of supported unit scrollable. The list of units present in the city is somewhat tricky. I just don't know how to implement this. Units in this list are drawn in some weird order. So when you scroll how should they change/move in the list? They go from left to right in two rows by 5 units each and then goes additional two rows with 4 units each.
upload_2018-9-3_2-24-44.png

Here is the sequence of appearing from 0 to 17. So this question is more about UI/UX.
Nevertheless as I stated before you can choose any unit present in the city tile just by putting cursor on the city tile and pressing 'A' (Activate Unit order).

Top Bottom