1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

650 BC - Fireside Chat #1 - The War

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by FortyJ, Jul 29, 2003.

?

How shall we proceed with this war?

1. No Peace In Our Time!

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Kill Zem (if we can get help)...

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Give Peace A Chance...

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Heck No, We Won't Go!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Write In - please post your suggestion below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Fellow Fanatikese,

I look across the tree tops of the Sacred Forest today and see a nation in turmoil. We are still knee-deep in a war with our hated enemy, the Gamecatcher Alliance and we have witnessed the demise of our most staunch ally to date, the Elucidians.

And yet, we have much to be happy about as well. Our nation has continued to grow despite the setbacks of war and we are holding our own on the front lines against a numerically superior enemy. These are indeed things to be pleased with.

However, I get the sense that all is not well within the borders of Fanatikou. Our citizens seem discontent. It seems the fall of Elucidia has affected us in more ways than we seem to admit. We seem to have lost some of our unity of purpose.

I come today to begin the road back to that unity that we once had so that we can continue our quest to glory.

This poll shall be used to establish our policy with respect to the war with the Gamecatcher Alliance. Once established, this policy shall influence (if not outright govern) all future decisions for quite some time.

<><><><><>
    • No Peace In Our Time - I was there when those vile Gamecatchers razed the beautiful new town of Yun Feng. Their actions demand equal and absolute retaliation from us. This is a holy war. Never surrender! Never stop until the last Gamecatcher is driven from the planet.
    • Kill Zem (if we can get help) - Peace with the Gamecatchers is foolish and should not be considered unless we cannot get assistance in our fight. We cannot hope to stand up against this foe without an ally to assist us in the fight. Get APO to help or make peace.
    • Give Peace A Chance - This war is senseless and everyone knows it. Unless we stop the bloodshed, we will find ourselves hopelessly behind the other nations no matter who emerges victorious. We should attempt to reason with Gamecatcher and establish a reasonable border with them and try to coexist peacefully.
    • Heck No, We Won't Go - GCA has the blessings of the gods or how else would they have beaten the Immortal based military of the Elucidians so quickly and so decisively. Apolyton won't be able to send any comparable force to assist us against them so we shouldn't try to fight any longer lest they conquer us as they did the Elucidians. Make peace now, at any cost. Then, later, we can consider possible (if any) retaliation.
    • Write In - Please post your suggestion below.

There is no Abstain option for this poll. If you can't contribute, then don't vote. ;) If you don't like my options, feel free to post an alternative below.

2. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I feel that if we can ally with Poly, the war should continue (if not for CDG or Yun Feng but for our survival). I doubt we can win with GCA's seemingly large production through peace. They would build themselves stronger and simply invade. Of course, continueing a war w/o an ally is suicide as well.

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I actually like all of your Options, 40J. I voted for "Give Peace a Chance". I think we should build up our Military force during peacetime while we are trying to expand and bring depth to our nation. I would consider the idea of the border at BoP a must for a Peace Negotiation, no matter how long it took us to get it. When our infrastructure is at a level of satisfaction for most of us, we can consider going back and cutting a nice little niche out of GCA's territory with our riders. :)

4. Plux

Plux Emperor

I voted to kill them if we can get Apolyton acting active on our side. I think the mountain range should provide us with good means of a defensive war, while we can prevent GCA from settling in those grasslands. In the mean time, while holding our enemy at bay, I think we should extend our settlement up to the chokepoint in the north. Only after this we should consider a peace treaty with GCA if necessary. Remember that this war matches our militaristic treat, so, if we battle wisely, it could get us a leader. Tech-wise I think we can even outperform GCA by trading with Poly.

Now off to the battlefield.. :ripper:

5. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

I think we should continue this war if Apolyton sides with us. We agreed with Eludicia, on its death bed (so to speak) that we would cooperate with Apolyton to destroy Gamecatcher, and we should live up to our promises. We should not break trust with other nations, especially Apolyton, by betraying this promise. Also, Apolyton has hinted to us that it will be willing to break its NAP with GC, and I think this would be a perfect time to wage war against CDG.

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Just to let everyone know, we have the save, but I can't play because I'm downloading a REALLY huge file. (no comment. :p)

7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I voted for "Kill Zem"

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Oh the huge file is out! Damn geometry to catch up on!

catch up gamecatch...er :mad: KILL KILL KILL but let's enlist apolyton.

I don't want to go genocide, but I would like to take the BoP, wall it, grow it to size 7, and defend it like wicked mad.

9. Ankka

Ankka Deity

If apolyton helps us actively, the war is a suitable choice. If not, we're doomed. Almost. I think. Or maybe not, but the chances of not failing are much much lower without apolyton.

10. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I don't think we're going to be able to count on Poly for a good twenty turns (est.). Right now they're too busy building their new empire to worry about us. Don't get excited when they tell us the "will" go to war against GCA with us. How long have they been telling us that? They are not our allies! They are another nation that considers GCA a threat. When they declare war, then they will be our allies. ;) Even if they declare war, I don't see getting much help from them.

11. Zukatah

Zukatah Deathless One

I don't think Poly is willing to go to war really soon, they want to be prepared before waging it so I think 20 turns is a reasonable timeframe for them to prepare their forces. Now the question is can we hold another 20 turns without suffering too much or will it be too late. We know for sure that CGA has a better economy than us and that they can build military units faster than we can but now that we have iron we stand a chance. Our elite swordmen can give them a ride so I think we should not be pessimistic and show them who we are. Poly will have to declare war on CGA at one time or another because they share a border and they both want all that land for themselves. If we continue the war, we'll both be behind tech and production wise but if Poly can help us with techs it won't be so bad consiering the fact that all we want terrotory-wise for this moment is BoP and the land in between.

If we can be assured from Poly that they'll declare war on CGA in 20 turns maximum, let's go and continue to wage this war. If on the other hand they say they won'T be ready for another 30 turns, then it's a lost cause and we can't hold indefinately against CGA's powerhouse.

12. Veera Anlai

Veera Anlai Southern Belle

Zukatah. It's GCA, not CGA ^_^;

13. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I think we should contact Apolyton and try to work out a reasonable time frame for war. I believe that Apolyton should be very intrested in us for one reason. If we succum to GCA and loose this war, that means that GCA will be far to strong for Apolyton to handle. Apolyton needs us just as we need them. The question is, do they realize it? If not, it is time we make them realize it!

14. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

There are essentially 3 strategies that APO could follow at this point - they could ally with us immediately and attempt to create a stalemate or better against GCA, or they could remain friendly with GCA and allow them to nearly assimilate us before attacking on their own, or they could simply stay friends with GCA and sit back and watch them slaughter us while they continue to improve their technology and military capabilities.

The longer and more reluctant they continue to be with respect to something as trivial as trading us their maps, the more likely I fear they may be following one of the two latter strategies.

I do not think that Apolyton feels like they need us (even though they may be saying so - their actions leave me unconvinced), and if they don't, then we must convince them that they do immediately.

15. Goonie

Aye to true 40J! Octavian, get on that! Throw out theories of how hard life would be for Apolyton if GCA kills us. Make them see the light.

16. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I'm glad others are thinking the way I did for a while now. The Poly relizing its own danger plan is spreading throughout the nation or at least three of us. :p

Octavian, remember to hint that in chats. They will come around, eventually. ;) (I hope)
    edit: I know I already told you, but I have to make sure you got the message.

17. Goonie

Well you know what they say. Great minds think alike. Feeble minds seldom differ. Either we are Great or feeble :D!

18. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Hmmmm,

I would go for peace, pull up our military capabilities and infastructure and in 20 turns attack again. We ahould find a way to mislead GCA so they dont build more military. Do we have an embassy with them??? If not it would be to our advantage to make one after peace and make our plans for the next 20 turns.

19. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

It looks as though there will be no peace in our time. The current war will take all our energy allowing encrouchment into the northern silk areas. If the invaders are beaten back then they should be invaded in turn even as preperations are made to conquer the silk territory.

20. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Wouldn't it be easier if we had peace to do it. And if they declared war on us after the Peace Treaty, that would be something to use against them. Like to get Poly on our side and the rest of the world when we find them.