New Scenario Challenge: The 100 Years War

Hey everyone!

As I mentioned last month, we want to move forward with more scenarios in the future, provided there's interested from the community. So today, we're releasing our second scenario, this time on a hand-crafted map of France and surrounding areas, with you playing the Franks facing off agianst the English for a 100 Years War theme.

You can find more details and submit your high scores in the contest section on Games2Gether.

We'd love to hear from you what you think of the map, this scenario, and scenarios in general.

Hope you have fun leading the Franks, and also with the anniversary goodies we added today. :)

I wasn't even aware I could min-max Humankind, but this scenario has totally engaged my competitive instincts. The map is beautiful and shows a great deal of thought put into it. That said, the scenario falls short in immersion:
  • If the scenario can be completed in under 20 turns, why is the map so elaborate (and vice versa)?
  • While the Franci Milites can be very effective, the Scriptorium seems sadly irrelevant
  • It is unclear exactly when the scenario takes place in the Hundred Years' War:
    • I expected it to be more in media res than ab initio and was surprised to find most of the map unsettled
    • Seems ripe for a custom Joan of Arc event if only to introduce the starting units
    • Burgundy and Brittany would help fill out the map and absorb some of the Independent People combat
    • Starting with horsemen and taking English cities with archers feels kind of wrong :sad:
    • Where is Notre Dame?
  • Certain TSL features could be nice in the scenario, including region names and one or two city names per region
I did not take part in the previous scenario as it did not appear to be compatible with Mac, but I have enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. At a minimum, it is replayable as a scenario and worth exploring as a map. Thank you and hope that everyone at Amplitude is having a pleasant summer!

Hey everyone!

As I mentioned last month, we want to move forward with more scenarios in the future, provided there's interested from the community. So today, we're releasing our second scenario, this time on a hand-crafted map of France and surrounding areas, with you playing the Franks facing off agianst the English for a 100 Years War theme.

You can find more details and submit your high scores in the contest section on Games2Gether.

We'd love to hear from you what you think of the map, this scenario, and scenarios in general.

Hope you have fun leading the Franks, and also with the anniversary goodies we added today. :)
I already mentioned it in the official forum, but you should have fixed the difficulty setting. It makes no sense to create a "competition" in which people can play at different difficulty levels.

I already mentioned it in the official forum, but you should have fixed the difficulty setting. It makes no sense to create a "competition" in which people can play at different difficulty levels.
I tend to agree that playing the same game is a precondition for an objective comparison. However, you cannot guarantee that the AI behaves in the same way, there are just too many factors involved that decide what it does, and a comparison will thus never be made on completely even games. And for this particular challenge, I think you would need to play on Humankind difficulty anyway for a competing result as you want the AI to have as many bonuses as possible, no?

I tend to agree that playing the same game is a precondition for an objective comparison. However, you cannot guarantee that the AI behaves in the same way, there are just too many factors involved that decide what it does, and a comparison will thus never be made on completely even games. And for this particular challenge, I think you would need to play on Humankind difficulty anyway for a competing result as you want the AI to have as many bonuses as possible, no?
In the official forum everyone is just playing on Hamlet to win in less than 20 turns, since this one is about winning as fast as possible. I got a 26 turn win on HK difficulty but I can't compete with people playing on Hamlet.

In the official forum everyone is just playing on Hamlet to win in less than 20 turns, since this one is about winning as fast as possible. I got a 26 turn win on HK difficulty but I can't compete with people playing on Hamlet.
Ah, my bad. I thought it was about winning fast and killing the most units, for some reason.

First off, I will say the immersive qualities have grown on me somewhat through repeated play-throughs. For one, though chants may not be everyone's cup of tea, the music for the Franks is beautiful. Also, their city names correspond reasonably well with where to settle on the map. If you consider demanding Citalá to represent the Surrender of Maine, then more power to your imagination.

Independent People offer a less consistent experience, but they can generally be encountered in Brittany and on the western/southern peripheries. Something I do not understand at this point is how the Normans seem scripted to spawn in Al Minliar Al Asad, yet effectively disappear if you fail to settle them. Almost invariably, the Normans then found Rouen south of Bordeaux. Once, this happened even after I settled the Normans. Personally, I would much prefer they settle in Normandy--Furud makes the most sense to me, but deprives the player of luxuries and horses.

Well, I got to T24 on Nation before I realized we could set our own difficulty. At that point, rereading the original post, it seemed obvious that the best results would be from the lower difficulties. At this point I am inclined to view Hamlet more as the experimental branch and less as the lowest difficulty. My favorite part is the combat boost that lets you chain single-turn outposts :hammer:

Siptah's point holds that controlling for difficulty, there is still a range of outcomes based on how the AI acts. I have found even on Hamlet there is a degree of rolling a map that will require fewer turns. Hamlet may be preferred for getting under 20, but I am curious what the lower limits are for the higher difficulties as well.

Uhm. Congrats on your second scenario. Keep them coming. I can't play as France in medieval. Too boring. Except maybe in the first crusade it would be fun playing. Muhajaiddin, Corsairs, Temples treasures, desert forts, rebel tribes... but congrats. Scenarios are the lifeblood to appease a wider audience. I will try it if I do get how to.

Hey everyone!

I think incorporating different scenarios in games is a fantastic way to keep the gameplay fresh and engaging. It adds variety and provides players with new challenges to overcome. By exploring different historical eras or themes, you can offer a diverse and immersive experience to your players.

Top Bottom