1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 01 - After Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 31, 2016.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 01 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.
    - How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I can't find the upload file option for these new forums. How do we attach the save?

3. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Look at the lower right of the response box and you should see three options: Post Relpy, Upload a File and More Options.

Click on upload a file and follow the directions that pop up. :)

4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I only see "Post Reply" then a blank section then More Options. So I guess that blank spot is actually a button that is supposed to say upload a file? Maybe it's an issue with Firefox or Windows 10 or both. Either way, now I know why I couldn't find it. :blush:

Spoiler Screenshot of my empire :

I finished on turn 327 with a science victory. This was my first time completing this VC.

I settled in place. I founded or captured enough cities to almost completely cover the continent.

France annoyed me with converting my cities after I asked her to stop, so took her out. Then Russia decided to get uppity so I took him out. Later Saladin declared a holy war on my because I converted his cities. I decided to leave him a couple of them. Near the end Egypt decided to attack me right after I completed the first spaceport, so I took her out.

Looking back I now realize I should have spammed more cities and builders much earlier with commerce and harbors as priorities for more trade routes. I should have also attacked Egypt as soon as they took Hong Kong so I could liberate them. That would have sped things up a bit more.

Attached Files:

5. Sbrubbles

Sbrubbles Chieftain

Science Victory, turn 251, score of 1031.

Here is my glorious Empire at the endgame. Note that I ended up using the egyptian capital to build the ship.

Spoiler :

Gotta say, I don't think I've ever gotten such a good start, ever. Right as I pass by Egypt with my warrior his builder pops out, and a random barbarian settler straight up stumbles into my territory giving me a free third city. Starting position wasn't great, but by going up two tiles I was in a great position for the oral tradition pantheon (2 bananas and 1 dye).

My intention this game was to take Egypt with a few legions, archers and a GG. Turns out that they were enough to take on the entire continent by themselves without a worry! After that it was just playing city building.

Ended the game with 22 cities. I could have had more, and I have a feeling it might indeed have been optimal to fill up the continent a little more, but I don't think it would have made the biggest difference.

Not anything specific I think, just trying to avoid things that weren't eurekaed and trying to eureka everything. Early on the Political Philosophy is a pretty damn important civic, so I beelined for that, but that was the only one I planned ahead for.

Didn't bother at all

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
    A lot, I conquered the whole continent. Yeah, it was very effective, I think the biggest jump in science output was when I finished conquering France and Russia (had also laid down a bunch of new cities). If I understand correctly, a lot of science in civ 6 comes straight from the pops, so more pops means more science, meaning I should have gone on a rampage on the other side of the world as well given how strong Legions are :p.

Sure, why not? Bonuses were very nice, and I was able to get them all under my banner relatively easily. I didn't plan my strategy around them or anything. Now that I look back, does Hong Kong's ally bonus apply to Space Race projects?

Only good surprises thankfully :p, like the free barbarian settler. I guess I got surprised when german missionaries appeared, but he was never close to a religious victory so I wasn't worried.

Sure, city building is pretty fun.

I think my biggest obstacle for not ending it earlier was building the damn spaceship, not getting the techs. I could have planned a lot better, like plopping more cities nearby with industrial centers for the regional bonuses and substituting farms with woods+lumber mills way earlier. I also botched the order of the space techs (I completely forgot about Satelites for landing on the moon and got one of the Mars techs before it), losing something like 10 turns. Another thing is that I should have bought amenities from Germany and Spain way earlier than I did.

One thing I think would be big for optimization is starting districts/settlers/builders and soon as you can and only going through with building them when you really need them. If I've understood correctly, when you start building the cost doesn't change any more after that. Do you guys consider this a valid tactic or would you call it an exploit?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  6. Falk

Falk Prince

I considered abandoning the game after turn 30 when I noticed how densely populated the continent was. Was expecting pointless wars by the dimwitted AI.

Decided to keep playing but it turned out I was right. The AIs immediately started to kill off the city states and France eventually dowed me and swamped me with warriors and chariots. Didn't feel like playing that kind of game so I eventually did abandon the game.

Looking at those two screenshots above proves my suspicions. You can play Civ6 peacefully but there's no reason to. Conquering most everything is easy and much better. They need to fix this or all non-religious GotMs are going to be conquer your continent fast then spam whatever you need for the given victory condition contests (I dislike waging war, I really hate it).

7. lamaros

lamaros Warlord

Stumbled through to the end of this one, do I post a save just prior to winning or just after (via one more turn?).

Never having done science vic yet I made some very big mistakes. The last half of the game was really boring and tedious.

8. Esperr

Esperr King

t257(save is one turn before win)
    I think 17 total, settled maybe 9 or 10 of my own, captured the rest
    research was opening resource techs, archery, beeline apprentice, beeline factorys, and then kinda jumped around after that
    I accidentaly popped one from paris, but never used it. Never really do.
    I conquered paris, wiping out france, I captured two egyptian citys(one being there capitol) effectively putting them out of the game, I wiped out russia and saladin. And it helps a lot, I essentially had my enemies build my citys for me, Paris ended up being my super city, even better then Rome.
    Good ole broken Toronto was in the game, just sitting there, being all broken and OP. other then that no.
    Nope.
    Ive been doing deity runs lately, so this was fun because it was a nice easy game where I got to just try and max. Messed up in the beginning though, sent a group of archers out early to settler and worker farm, and there just weren't any, could have spent the time and resources capturing more city's instead. I also definitely didn't start project farming engineers and scientists early enough, I finished all of the engineers, but never got to carl sagan, and that probably cost me twenty turns. I also just didn't play as efficient in general as I could have, but it was whatever, i got to spam city's and have a ridiculously huge cartoon empire. I finished the tech tree at like turn 220? At my peak before I switched out the 100 percent campus policy I had 600+ science per turn.I also didnt realize I could have just captured my whole continent with archers, to used to that only working for like one empire. Did I mention how OP Toronto is?

edit: Would like to point out that I colonized mars in 1725, the games are so out of whack before patches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  9. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Turn 275 - Score 1,051
    Score Breakdown

I had a total of 20 cities. I founded 13 and conquered 7.

Spoiler My empire :

Early game I beelined Iron Working in order to conquer my continent, then I prioritized Industrialization and Electricity. For Civics I beelined Political Philosophy (of course) and then took the fastest route to get Monarchy and then Communism.

France founded the first religion with Stonehenge, but after I conquered France and Russia (netting me 4 Holy Sites) I popped my own Great Prophet in France's old holy city to get rid of their pesky religion. I had some gold problems early on as I was focused exclusively on military for a while as I conquered the continent, so I used Tithes (+2 gold per city) to spread my religion around to all my cities to get some cash flow. Late game I was the only holdout vs. Spain's religion, so I simply maintained it throughout my empire.

As soon as I built several Legions I trounced France who was threatening with Warrior spam, then because Russia was conveniently close I simply continued marching and took him out. By turn 100 I had destroyed both France and Russia and was laying siege to Egypt. After conquering Egypt's 3 cities and stealing a spare Settler, I sailed my Legions southeast exploring the rest of the continent and encountered Arabia. They only had 2 cities so I decided to unify the continent. Not having to compete with anyone for the remaining land proved very helpful, and I actually ended up building all the space projects in Moscow as my 2 Russian cities turned out to be my most productive.

Tremendously, although the really helpful ones are on the other continent.
    Spoiler :
    Toronto and Zanzibar are on the western edge of the other continent. I only got them later in the game, but Toronto especially helped my regional production and amenity bonuses stack to insane amounts.

After conquering the continent I had a period of remarkably intense barbarian activity to my south, with multiple cavalry camps. My sentry Legions actually got swarmed and killed! It took me a while to pacify the region, and I used my Legions to place forts along my southern border as well as building some extra Scouts as sentries. Building some additional cities in the empty space helped too.

A nice surprise was when Peter finished building the Pyramids the turn before I captured his city. Thanks Peter!

Yes! Although I did not like the starting position!

Spoiler Bonus - my current city amenity record :

Attached Files:

10. Esperr

Esperr King

@thecrazyscot
    You beelined monarchy and then communism? I have litterally never used either in a serious game I dont think. I always go classical republic-->merchant empire--->democracy. I found the plus two routes is really usefull for internal routes, and democracy helps you spam end of game GP's to turbo out sagan and that german dude for SV. Plus I always felt like they had beeter civics leading into them.
    Why monarchy? Why communism? Particularly why monachy?

11. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I have a few reasons :)

1. For whatever reason I almost always tend to unlock pretty much every Eureka bonus on the bottom of the Civic tree before the top, so it's simply faster for me to get Monarchy. I prefer Merchant Republic in all honesty, but Monarchy was just more practical to get.
    2. As I mentioned I was having a serious Barbarian problem from the south so I needed a couple Militry policies to button that down.
    3. Communism rocks...seriously. The 10% production bonus is huge in getting tons of Factories and Power Plants up. Once I had my infrastructure in a good place I switched over to Democracy to buff all my cities spamming Industrial projects.
    4. The Communism civic unlocks the policy which adds +4 food to internal trade routes. That super speeds up city growth in the late game. I love that policy.

12. Esperr

Esperr King

Im finding the tech tree is basically over by the time the +4 food kicks in. I will have to try for the ten percent prodduction. I just like democracy because the bonus lets you cheeseball your way to Sagan and the german guy, will have to test more to see which nets more production for a space win.

edit:Also I agree, the starting position was so unfun because at least for me it pretty much meant I had to go run some people over to get good land.

13. lamaros

lamaros Warlord

I buggered up my save, I only have one post victory I'm afraid, so I've got nothing to attach.

Victory on turn 348, very late indeed. Score was 679.

This was mostly because I've never gone for a science victory before and greatly misaligned my industrial focus - I had two cities up ready to rush the end and hadn't completed any of the research yet. As it turns out science was my great limiting factor, and it added at least 60-80 turns on to finishing - more when you consider this also slowed the great scientist generation. On top of that I played the great people in the wrong order and ended up having to build the last project and not rush it. 250 turns would be a more reasonable par for this map.

I should have invested far more in to science early on and built around another 5-10 cities. As it was though I got a bit bored and just built and ended turn for the last 200 turns of the game.

I've never enjoyed the later stages of a Civ game, but in Civ IV this is even worse given the current balance.

Only 12. This was far too few as it turns out.

Nothing in particular, I just went for legions early, then tried to build up my industry.

Nope.

I cleared my continent. It was pretty important as the best city spots were not in my starting area.

Not overly. I never visited the ones on the other continent.

I misread a few of the science related great people and used them in the wrong order. This added on a fair few turns to the game.

Not especially, after the first 100 turns it was just fighting barbarians and building stuff in cities.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  14. Esperr

Esperr King

Of note, in my playthrough I didn't use legions at all, I just used archers for all my conquests, I felt they would be to out of the way/unnecessary when the comp cant cheesball entire armys in a turn.

15. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Rome's Martian colony blasted off on TURN 329, with a final score of 599. I believe this puts me in last place so far score-wise :lol:

Here is the glorious Roman Empire, just before the final project was finished -
    Spoiler :

So, I settled six cities myself, stole one settler from Egypt and seized their capital for a total of 8 cities. I see that this is on the low side compared to those who have already posted, but I'm still getting used to actually using a strategy other than 3-cities-tradition a la Civ V, so it seemed big to me :D Research wise, circumstances at the beginning of the game involving my war with Egypt, then immediately after with France, meant that I went for a military tech focus along the bottom part of the tree. That, coupled with France pillaging the districts around Rome whilst I was up dealing with Egypt was probably what slowed me down in the long run, I think I could have finished closer to turn 300 otherwise. Governments were Oligarchy > Monarchy (only briefly, mainly because it was the first second tier government I unlocked) > Merchant Republic > Communism, and my cards were a mix of extra amenity granting policies and industrial/commercial district boosts for most of the game.

I missed out on getting a religion, mainly because I realized too late that Saladin was in the game and had thought that I could coast to a late 4th or 5th great prophet without having to put much effort in. Instead, I wound up adopting Peter's eastern orthodoxy which had the belief that lets you buy campus buildings with faith, so the game wasn't a total write off on the religion front after all.

As for wars, like I said, I wiped out Egypt to give myself total control over the northern part of the continent, France and Russia both declared against me at different points, but were never really much of a threat and I preferred to make peace and leave them to their own devices rather than go for a massive war of conquest. On the flip side, not founding a religion meant that Saladin was quite friendly with me and we had a strong alliance for most of the game, which made him useful as a trading partner for extra luxuries and gold. I'll also mention here that I built few wonders in the early game, which meant that Qin was initially friendly with me when we met, though I later picked up Oxford, Ruhr Valley and a few other random wonders which caused him to shift opinions, though not enough that he ever started denouncing me.

The city states on my continent were conquered by Peter within the first 100 turns, barring Stockholm which I was initially suzerain of, but I later conceded it to France when I shifted my focus to Toronto after discovering it on the other continent. The layout of my cities in a circular pattern meant that its bonus was even more useful than normal - my cities on the western coast were all receiving each others' hammers thanks to the increased range. The spaceports and projects were built by Lugdunum and Aqueleia in that hilly area to the west of Stockholm, both cities had approx 130-140 hammers which meant that production times on the two final modules that I built were reasonable. Carl Sagan failed to turn up, but a wild Sergei Korolev appeared, so only one of the modules was rushed. All in all, I enjoyed the game, though I'm not really a fan of Rome. I think their abilities are strong, but ultimately they don't really match up with my general playstyle, so its more a personal feeling rather than any kind of judgement :)

Random Stuff
    - Had three uranium resources within my territory, which could have made for an interesting endgame if the victory condition had been domination :mischief: (also, one of the uraniums appeared underneath a housing district i built next to Egypt's ex-capital, that would certainly have been an interesting place to live :lol:)
    - I got the man on the moon achievement, which was a nice surprise at the end of the game :D

Attached Files:

16. jshelr

jshelr Warlord

Felt a little lost but it was more fun than the formula which civ 5 has become.

Think it was 5 settled, one captured, a couple razed.

Early on I prioritized whatever was boosted. Later bee lined for space race. Tech completely outpaced both production and civics. I need to work more on balance.

Nope. Probably should do, but I ignored it.

Got attacked from time to time and did take Paris which was an effective city.

Yes, I'm sure they were but not yet very certain of the mechanics.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? No oil. Just ignored it.

- Did you enjoy the game? Yes, thanks for setting this up. Will enjoy seeing what others did. If there is a way to play for the great people who boost space race production, it would speed things up a lot.

Attached Files:

17. Esperr

Esperr King

There is, kinda. If you go democracy and do the projects its doubles the GP points as well. So if you spam all your citys doing it except your SV citys then you can cheeseball your way through all of the GE and GS. Its how I did it in my game, except I won before I got to Sagan.

Photi likes this.
  18. lamaros

lamaros Warlord

Or use massive production cities to build armies and then sell them and just buy any great person you need via democracy.

19. Esperr

Esperr King

I think the spirit of GOTM is to avoid exploits. Otherwise ill just submit my t99 science vic now...

20. lamaros

lamaros Warlord

Selling of any unit counts as an exploit? I didn't do the above in my game (as stated, I waited around 60 turns for science to finish, I had all the great people already), but I did sell some units after my wars finished to reduce upkeep.

I thought that the unit selling thing was more of an inconsistent bug, also?