6otM 10 After Action Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 10 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Which VC did you opt for?
- Did you bother with Religion?
- Did you bother with Culture?
- Did you bother with Science
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Domination win on turn 133 with a score of 419 in 425 AD

Well this is my first post patch domination attempt and it's pretty clear that the AI cannot handle war carts. I sure didn't notice much improvement, but I had yet to play a game as Sumeria and I usually play emperor so the settings are different. Anyway Sumeria seems tailor made for domination wins. I remember pulling off some very early wins in Civ 1 with all out chariot rushes and this game felt a lot like that. This is my fastest finish by over 50 turns and I doubt I have the discipline or patience to beat it in upcoming games.

My strategy was pretty simple - basically a non-stop war-cart blitzkrieg. Build order was Scout (kinda worthless), builder, war cart x 5, settler, more war carts. I think I captured all the capitals on the starting continent by turn 80. It was fun just going all out war without any warmonger penalties. I did get the first envoy for Kandy which helped me get an early pantheon and I picked god of the forge for the extra early unit production. Barbarians were everywhere and the AI was struggling with them - I had so many Eurekas that I lost count.

It also helped having Kumasi and Carthage nearby - two of my favorite city states which work extremely well together. I built a few commercial districts and harbors for the sailing Eurakas but otherwise it was just encampments and units. I did found a religion close to turn 100 which helped speed things along - I adopted theocracy late and captured a settler from Arabia which I used to build a city right next to their capital and rush some knights. I did use frigates and caravels to capture the few cities that were on the coast which gave me a nice foothold against Arabia and the Aztecs.

Founded 8 cities and captured 15. My battle stats were something like 80 kills to 2 losses.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 133 425 AD.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • 20170302190055_1.jpg
    20170302190055_1.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 20170302184956_1.jpg
    20170302184956_1.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Domination win, turn 95, Score 352.

Domination – not my cup of tea, but with Sumeria on Prince, worth doing for a change
-First city
Moved Warrior 1W, decided to move settler 1W to found Uruk for more bonuses in 2 square zone (with unseen horses 2E, think this was bad overall); built Scout T9 (to find stuff and hoping to get some City-State bonuses but every CS I met, except Kandy that met me, had already met someone, so wasted build), then Builder T17 (3 quarries for +3 production and faster Craftsmanship), 2x war carts T22,26, then 6x slingers T27,27,29,30,32,33,35 and upgraded all to archers on T36 (probably better just to do war carts as these are slower and not as powerful, but I just love archers), 4x war carts T37,39,41,43, builder, trader, archer x2, builder, war carts for the rest of the game
Settled capital 1W; didn’t make any settlers or capture any; captured 22 cities – captured all CS’s on continent except +gold ones, captured every AI city everywhere which probably slowed me down some, but who wants just capitals when you can assimilate the world; since I knew I wanted to get to another continent, my first focus was Spain who had two coastal cities, Seville T40 and Madrid T43 – these two cities did 2 Galleys (1 each) and then 2 Harbors for the Eureka bonuses; galleys went East and West respectively(didn’t realize galley reachable continent had every other AI in the game until I’d already research Cartography, met Aztec T71, Mba T73, Saladin T78; annoying waste of time and really wish Continent maps were really ocean separated continents); I didn’t capture all AI on my continent until T75 when I finished off St Petersburg; started first war on other continent on T81 with Aztec capital, and last AI city anywhere, falling on T95
See below comments on science/culture
No emphasis at all, after Kandy found me on ~T7 and I started getting +2 faith, I got ‘God of the Forge’ Pantheon on ~T19; otherwise ignored, never got a Great Prophet as Carthage built Stonehenge before my captured Holy Sites yielded one (finished game with 111/120 needed)
Yes, initially Craftsmanship for Agoge (faster slingers), then Military Tradition for Maneuver (faster war carts), then Foreign Trade for Maritime (faster 2 galleys for Eureka bonus then back to Maneuver); then focused on getting to Political Philosophy for Oligarchy, then on anything with +1 envoy, then Mercenaries for Professional Army (cheaper upgrades); even built an Encampment for a single Eureka
- Did you bother with Science?
Yes, Mining, AH, Pottery to start, then Astrology T26, Archery T36 (upgraded all 6 archers), focused for Cartography which I got on T72 – Sailing T42, Cel Nav T49, Shipbuilding T58 and 5 others that had Eureka I mixed in while waiting for Eureka moments for the others; after that didn’t care
Kandy definitely – glad they found me before anyone found them, sadly scout didn’t get to any of the other CS first so only got early CS bonuses with missions; used 3 CS on the other continent to Levy Military which was helpful, but annoying to upgrade their forces and then have the AI send more envoys to eliminate you’re levied military
Kandy to start, let me do Urban Planning instead of God King since I wanted God of the Forge; the continents being connected by coasts (boo!!!), but started to move some forces that way as soon I realized it had AI, since I already had Cartography, I was able to move forces from both the east and west to the other continent
Always – love the GOTMs!!!!, just wish I could play them more

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 95 525 BC.Civ6Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
Turn 166 "Annihilation" - 545 Score

First of all, bow down to @Eyswein and @Eliminator_Sr - great times.

This was war from start to finish. I had Spain, Brazil and Russia out of the game by turn 60 - 70 then discovered Scythia. Declared but peaced out as she had walls and carts weren't enough for the terrain and she had swords so built some catapults and a second army waiting to get iron.

Iron was just out of reach of St Petersburg but Great Merchant charge meant I could grab the tile and build a builder to get iron and the Eureka.

Meanwhile galleys found the other continent and saw there wasn't much call for navy so army 2 started their swim along with a settler. Landed, settled and upgraded to knights then ploughed through Kongo.

Once Scythia fell, army 1 swam towards the Aztecs so they hit from both sides. Armies then turned south for Arabia. (Only 2 cities - really?)

How many cities did you settle or capture?

Settled 3. Captured 21, in order as follows:
- 2 from Spain
- 1 from Brazil
- 1 from Russia
- 4 from Scythia
- 6 from Kongo
- 5 from Aztecs
- 2 from Arabia

Annihilation vs Domination probably added about 15 turns but was fun.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?

Knights and bombards. I got cartography but...
Spoiler :
(there's a shallow water channel between the continents so didn't really have to have it).

Which VC did you opt for?

Opted for domination but then went for "annihilation" instead.

Did you bother with Religion?

No but I ended up with one. Didn't really use it though. Went for culture from pastures, production from believers and meeting house. Never bothered with meeting house.

Did you bother with Culture?

No. Main aim was to get to Oligarchy for the +4 and stay there (which I did).

Did you bother with Science?

Sort of. I built a few Campus Districts but didn't really play a science game.

Were City-States helpful?

Minor bonuses and gold from trade routes only.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Barbarians were more active than usual as there seemed to be a bit more space for them. Ran the +5 policy to help with them but wanted more camps to get the bonuses. Lots of Eurekas as a result.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes, although played this one tired so was a bit sloppy and lost more units than usual.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 167 1060 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
Domination on turn 198. Score was 726 - Neville Chamberlain

Settled 4 and captured 25.

Nothing special. Researched the Eurekas I had.

Domination from the start.

Not at first, but since I had an early religion I decided to spread it as best I could. All the cities on my starting continent followed my religion and a few cities on the other continent followed my religion as well.

No, just monuments in my cities.

I only built 2 campus districts. Rest of my science came from the Ziggurat and I made a lot of them.

No, I captured all of them on my starting continent except one. I left them alone on the other continent.

No surprises.

Yes, very much so. This was my first time playing Sumeria and I enjoyed the War-Cart. I wish I had used them better at first and I would have gotten a faster win.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 198 1370 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
Domination win, turn 95, Score 352.

Wow - nice job finishing in under 100. I was shooting for that too but it took me too long to realize that everyone was on the adjacent land mass. I scouted pretty far up the coast and assumed it was just an empty island but I probably should have embarked a few war-carts to make sure.

Domination on turn 115. Score 358.

I built only one settler. Captured few more settlers during conquest and just planted them to the closest hex that would give access to either luxury or strategy resource.
Captured close to 20 cities.

See below.

Domination

Tried not to, but captured so many holy sites that eventually great prophet appeared.

Maybe too much. First went straight to Military tradition to boost war cart production.
Then to Political philosophy, followed by Mercenaries.
That point I realized that Exploration is only few turns away.
So, followed that only to later switch from Merchant Republic to Monarchy.

Yes, to the point where I had Cartography and Knights. After that didn't care.

I think Carthage was the most helpful, providing trade routes from Encampments.
Although, I built only two encampments.

Continents being connected by coastal tiles.

- Other
While my invasion force was crossing the ocean and I had nothing meaningful to produce, I decided to build Terracota army in the capital to give them a nice promotion boost before they reach the shores.

Yes. Thanks for the game.

Attachments

• 20170306200550_1.jpg
    20170306200550_1.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 207
  • GILGAMESH 115 25 BC.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
Turn 112 Cultural Victory

Hi all,

My first post on the site so I hope I did this right. Been playing the last couple of gotm's and really enjoying it so figured I'd jump in and contribute. This is the first one I didn't read though a lot of the posts before finishing (Spain) or actually bothered to finish (Aztec).

-How many cities did you settle or capture?

Built no settlers, first game I've ever done that.
Captured 1 settler and the capital of Brazil to knock them out
Conquered two Spanish cities to put them out of the race next
....then that was it aside from capturing a barbarian settler fairly late from I'm fairly sure Scythia ( though could of been Brazil or even Spain too). Was fairly inconsequential though as this city didn't get up and running properly before the game finished.

So 6 cities all up

-What did you prioritize for research and policies?

First went with a builder, then 3 war carts then Stonehenge. bought a 4th war cart with cash. After this I had 3 cities (Brazil's capital and their first settler) ran manoeuvre policy and pumped out another 5 war carts. (no upkeep makes these things really good). 1 war cart did die to barbs not to long after this so I finished the game with 8 of them. Important to note what really helped me get so many of these quickly was meeting Kandy early. This meant I got god of the forge pantheon very quickly, without even needing to run the god king policy or get lucky with a goody hut. After this it was holy-sites in most my cities. So fairly standard policy wise until I finally got my first government. Went with classical republic and I ran scripture (holy site adjacency double) and literary tradition (great writer points) for a while.

Also used the 100% shipbuilding policy to chop out 3 galleys, to find the other civs/ get the eurika and have the 100% overflow from the chops to put towards other things mainly districts and buildings.

also bought a scout and scored one from a goody hut for similar proposes around the same time.
Spend a large chunk of my gold on a shrine and temple in one of the more low production cities.

went with a very non traditional culture path, focused on an early military tradition over early empire for the card (plus the combat bonus's were gravy) and then again delaying political philosophy again to get to theology for multiple temples and earlyish theatres'.

-Which VC did you opt for?

'Religious' Cultural Victory.
After meeting Kandy within the first dozen turns, having stone to build Stonehenge and it being price difficulty (so the AI bonus's wouldn't have their culture game being super strong).
I figured the stars had aligned for my first attempt at the culture rush. I must say, it does seem powerful if you get a few things to go your way.

by the end I had 5 relics, only 1 from goody huts and not till turn 90 something which I thought was extremely unlucky considering the number of barb camps and good huts my army of wart carts ran around like mad shutting down with this goal heavily in mind. It was honestly like wackomole barbarian edition that my karts at various time barely kept up with as there was so much fog all around my continent. This did power me through the Eurekas though and gave me a lot of gold and faith, really showing off the power of Gilgamesh.

Also gained 3 writers, though only 5 books as i won the turn before my 3rd writer could create the second. Didn't have printing yet either ( was 3 turns from completing as I'd focused on cartography first to meet the other civs for the tourists (like mutiple others here that was a mistake as there was no ocean between the civs.

made a real effort to maintain good relations with Russia & Scythia. Open borders, trade route to each and trading horses to Scythia and extra sugar to Russia etc. also made sure to open boarder with all other civs on the other continent. had to pay the Aztecs for the privilege but not much.

Won the game with 16/15 tourists, the next leading domestic tourist civ being Aztecs. every one else was a couple behind. Nearly won around turn 104 at 12/13 tourism but the Aztecs got a little jump somehow which set me back a few turns .

Yes
I built Stonehenge, though didn't make it my first priority, went with reliquaries and papal primacy.

Focused on spreading my religion to Kandy for the extra faith then Russia and Scythia for the tourism. had to re-spread to both later as they both founded a religion. I was ready for it though and pre-emptively sent a missionary and Apostle to each and quickly reconverted them. also partially converted Kongo late but didn't covert then fully before the end.

Was up to around100 faith per turn by the end, a few of those buffed up relics just carry your religion. Would of got even more powerful as I was 2 turns off finishing Mahabodhi temple in the capital with 2 more beliefs to come and there was another religious CS on the other land mass

Didn't make it my main focus early but certainly switched to culture focus mid game to grab some great writers, ended up with 3. All of which where partially faith purchased. constructed the oracle in the capital for the 2nd and 3rd writers (plus the tourism) purchasing the 2nd writer the turn after it finished. finished the game with 3 theater districts the one in the capital where the stone used to be for Stonehenge. Certainly worked out good i think, mostly thanks to the difficulty. Being able to grab those writers while focusing on temples and early cart rush first, would of been challenging to out-rite impossible on higher difficulties i think.

not really

Build one ziggurat in the capital...and that's about it. was powering through Eureka's, so that let me somewhat keep up. was on about 30 science when I finished.

had a very odd looking tech tree, never researched archery even though its now connected, missing all the medieval techs minus machinery to get to printing, and had completely skipped the medieval period to chase cartography. However due to all the barb camps, nearly every tech I'd skipped had its boost so wasn't to far from breezing through it.

Yes - key

Kandy obviously was integral to the victory and was suzerain very early through first meeting bonus, first quest then mysticism envoy and i had them in the fold for most of the game. had Scythia steal it for a dozen turns mid game but soon got it back without runing into and natural wonders lucky.
also chased Amsterdam, Carthage and Kumasi for their envoy boosts.

Ends up suzerain of Amsterdam, Carthage (by chance with quests more than anything as only really needed that first envoy), Kandy and was suzerain of Kumasi for half a dozen turns before losing them to Russia for the rest of the game

Land masses not separated fully - badly

having Russia and Kongo in the game and still getting writers - obviously not to badly

just how important it is to meet everyone quickly for a quick culture victory as it potentially multiplies your tourist gain - room for improvement

how effective it is to not produce any settlers to slow your cities down

First time finishing a game as Gilgamesh, got to make good use of the UU and abilities. Won a new kind of victory with a good time. YER!
civ6 gotm10.PNG

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 112 100 BC.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
Won the game with 16/15 tourists, the next leading domestic tourist civ being Aztecs. every one else was a couple behind. Nearly won around turn 104 at 12/13 tourism but the Aztecs got a little jump somehow which set me back a few turns .

@Rakish - very interesting strategy. I didn't even know it was possible to win with that few tourists without going heavy domination - would have never occurred to me to attempt it but now I want to.

@Eliminator_Sr @RaidandTrade - Thanks, really appreciate the great people on this site for all the insights to the finer details of the game. there is so many concepts and strategies to this game that without some of the fine threads and guides around here I'd still be clueless about. I'm still learning so I'm sure multiple people could destroy that time here.

All domination times here are quite impressive, I haven't played any 'optimized' domination games yet so think I'd struggle to match those.

Turn 148 :D Domination

28 total, Settled around 12 I believe.

Rushed to Knights as much as possible together with comercial district to get money for upgrades and the social policy for discount in upgrades although I messed up and became late.

Domination!

Yes kind of, I did make a holy site since the guys I captured they didn't have it. Kandy gave me my first holy site

Not really

Not really

Comercial ones where really good to upgrade to knights

Actually everything went very smooth but I messed up and should have been building knights to get earliest Victory turn and I expected more costal cities, all the hard work into harbor didn't paid off.

Very much, was very fast paced, conquered all my continent around turn 78 so delayed to cross to the other side. Room to improve a LOT lol.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 149 760 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Science victory T376 1955AD Score 617

Settled 8, Captured 1, Russian Capital

Nothing specifically, just staying ahead

Science

No

Not specifically target, just doing enough to get through the civics

Yes

Yes, Kumasi and Carthage were a great deal of help as the AI kept on DoW in pairs. They took out one Russian city, and took the capital defences down to nothing so that I could capture it easily.

AI eventually took Carthage, and cut my trade routes in half, but by then it was too late I was only just off victory. Strangely after completing one of the final space launches in my capital with a great engineer bomb, i was able to complete Hermitage and Cristo Redentor each in one turn, then Arena 1 turn, then Mech Infantry 1 turn, then it looked like it was returning to normal, but game over.

Well I won, so yes, enjoyed it a good deal more than my last couple of 6otm

Attachments

• Ferenginar 6otm10 376 1955 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 189
Domination Victory Turn 134

Settled 6 cities on the starting continent + captured 5 (1Brazil, 1Russia, 3Spain) + 3 City States - left Amsterdam for gold.

Pretty standard start to Apprenticeship for production boost followed by Cartography and Stirrups. I thought Cartography at turn 94 was pretty good. Some of these domination times are really impressive. Policies were primarily military production boosts, trade route boosts, maintenance reduction and extra builder charges.

Domination

Got enough faith from Kandy and a barb hut to get God of the Forge. I captured Holy Sites from Russia and Spain before they popped prophets. I founded a religion but it had no effect on the game.

No, I built a few monuments but I had so many eurekas that a could get through the policy tree for Monarchy without really trying.

I chopped an early Campus in Rio to try and boost my science rate and bought galleys and chopped out a second harbor in a junk city to boost my science rate through eurekas.

Yes, God of the Forge and extra cities.

I left Scythia since they had walls, archers and tough terrain until near the end of the game. My army (war carts and archers) waited in Spain for cartography. After cartography, I found my galley could start scouting the other continent. I was the first civ to meet La Venta so I thought it was an island and sent my army around the other continent without exploring :( After finding Mansa, took a city and upgraded to knights and crossbows. A second army took Scythia while my first force ran around sweeping up capitals.

I didn't realize how powerful the boost from barb huts would be. With lots of empty land on the starting continent, I was constantly grabbing eurekas from villages.

Yes, it was a nice attempt to improve my early game. By far my fastest victory.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 134 450 AD.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
Domination victory on turn 148, with a score of 521

See https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6otm-10-opening-actions-report.611412/#post-14685454 for the opening actions.

7 cities settled (4 captured settlers, one in the very last turns), 14 cities captured (2 Brazil, 2 Spain, 4 Scythia, 2 Russia, 1 Aztecs, 2 Arabia, 1 Kongo)

Except for Political philisophy, I still have to learn to focus and prioritize...

Domination, with annihilation on my continent, then only capitals.

No. I captured 2 great prohets, so only 3 religions were actually founded.

Not enough maybe. I tend to build monuments late, and few captured cities had one.

I wanted Hypathia, so I got 2 early campus.

Carthage's troups were the core of my Russian army, Preslav's catapults and arbaletes have helped my 2 outdated cavalry to take Kongo, and Lisbon gave me horses.

Russia still had no Lavra on turn 60.
I got horses and iron late so not a lot of troups improvements, but the cities were quite easy to take with low units (with anti-city promotions). Only 2 scythian cities had walls on my continent (3 war-carts and 3 arbaletes), and even on the second continent there were only 50HP walls (1 catapult, 1 ram, 3 knights and 3 arbaletes).

Yes, after several attempts I've finally played a game without reloading ^^ So here is my first submission to GotM!

Attachments

• 6otM10_GILGAMESH 148 1MoreTurn.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
Domination victory on turn 206.

Too many to count. :p

Mostly followed eurekas.

Domination. It is my least favorite VC in 4X games in general, hence my bad victory turn. I don't find it all that fun so it's hard for me to force myself to play optimally. But in every Civ iteration I always go for Domination once, just to try it out. This was my "once" for Civ6.

Nope.

Not really. Still had tons of it from captured cities.

Sure, to gain the technological edge once War Carts became obsolete. Built several campuses and Oxford University in my capital.

Somewhat. Lisbon almost single-handedly captured Scythian capital (Pokrovka if I'm not mistaken), I just swooped in with a single melee unit to capture it.

Not really. My last three Civ6 games were Emperor-Immortal-Emperor so going back to Prince felt almost like I was cheating.
The bonuses from barb camps helped more than expected, though.

Kinda. Will probably skip future Domination or Prince 6otMs.

Attached Files:

Attachments

• PontifexMax_6OTM10.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
Religious victory on turn 299 (or 298, not sure how to count it.) I could have gotten a domination victory much earlier, but not early enough because it took me so long to find Arabia, Congo, and Aztecs. :blush:

Is there an upload page for game submissions, like the 5OTM forum?

I started out building a slinger and a bunch of war carts. Declared war on Russia in the ancient era and conquered him. Should be no warmonger penalty for that, but soon afterwards Brazil and Spain declared a joint war on me so I killed both of them too. :) Then built up my infrastructure for a while. DoW'd Scythia to steal a settler that was about to claim some iron that I needed. That war dragged on for a while, but eventually I defeated her too and had the whole continent to myself (shared with the city states) I think I lost just one unit in all 4 wars (the war cart that stole the Scythian settler) The barbarians put up a better fight than any of the AI's.

28 cities. Most of those were either captured, or founded with captured settlers.

I was going for a scientific victory, and I had the science for it (finished Future Tech around turn 250) but not the production. So my backup plan was culture and religion; pursuing both at the same time to see which one popped first.

Biggest surprise was the map. I misread it and thought it was a Pangaea, and I ignored the sailing techs for a long time; after conquering my continent I sent knights out scouting the coasts looking for a land-bridge. The other civs must have thought the same thing because they did not build any navies at all.

Yes, I enjoyed it.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 299 1856 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Top Bottom