6otM 10 Opening Actions Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 10 Opening Actions thread.
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
- Where did you settle your city?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What VC did you plan for?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

The title of this thread is "6otM 10 After Actions Report". I believe it should be "6otM 10 Opening Actions Thread". The title might confuse people.

Moderator Action: Thanks, changed. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
-Where did you settle your city?
I settled in place. I moved the warrior 1w and the original spot looked good.

Mining, Animal Husbandry, and Pottery to start. Then I didn't beeline for any techs. I researched the ones that I had eurekas for. Same with civics.

Conquest. Going to war. Gilgamesh looks like the right leader for this type of victory.

Uruk built Slinger (much cheaper than War-Cart), then 3xWar-Cart, Settler, 7xWar-Cart, Monument, 1 more War-Cart. My other cities mainly built infrastructure.

Uruk started building my first Commercial Hub on turn 67. The rest of my cities began building Commercial Hubs shortly thereafter. I only built one Campus in one of my captured cities. My Builders are building Ziggurats for science.

Along the rivers.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
No and yes. I only built 1 settler to found the city Ur. I captured 2 settlers to found the cities Nippur and Kish. I captured St. Petersburg (Russia), Kumasi, Rio De Janeiro and Fortaleza (Brazil), Barcelona and Madrid (Spain), Kandy, Carthage. I have 11 cities.

The policies I chose were initially Discipline for attacks against barbarians, and Urban Planning. On turn 39 I changed Discipline to Maneuver since I was about to start my long period of wars. On turn 57 I changed government to Oligarchy, with Conscription, kept Urban Planning, Charismatic Leader, and Strategos. On turn 82 I changed to Serfdom and started pumping out Builders to improve my lands.

I met Kandy first on turn 4. Then I met Kumasi, Amsterdam, Carthage, Lisbon. None are on my side, and none will be. I am saving my envoys for when I find city-states far away and might need them.

Yes, but none of them like me. I'm not a peaceful one.

Actually a nuisance. I forgot to leave units in the fog-of-war spots and barbarian camps keep popping up. While I enjoy killing them for extra stuff, a few have pillaged my lands. So far I have gotten 2xScouts, eurekas for Sailing, Early Empire, Theology, Drama and Poetry, Stirrups, Military Training, Recorded History, Guilds, Divine Right, 100 Faith, 195 Gold, +2 Population from clearing barbarian camps.

- Any surprises?
I founded a religion! I had no intention of going for religion, but the cities I captured had Holy Sites I founded the 2nd religion of the game on turn 80.

Domination win, turn 95. Putting all in after actions report.

I was planning on a strategy of peaceful expansion and building of nice stuff. My suicidally idiotic neighbours wanted it otherwise.

In place
- Did you try to build Stonehenge? Did you succeed?
No. Brazil got it shortly before my army arrived at their gates, and founded Catholicism on turn 67.
- Did you prioritize religion in your first 100 turns, how?
Pantheon: Divine Spark on turn 15. Entered the race for a religion with good beliefs after I conquered St.Petersburg
which had a Holy Site.
For the most part I've chosen things it looked like I'd need real soon, and/or things I'd happened to get eurekas/inspiration for.
Mining, Animal Husbandry, Pottery, Writing, Masonry; then Archery, Wheel, Currency. Horseback Riding. Irrigation.
Construction.
Foreign Trade then Craftmanship, Early Empire, Military Tradition; then Mysticism, State Workforce. Drama and Poetry.
Political Philosophy.
Scout, builder, slinger, trader, two more slingers, three war carts. Considered this adequate to win the early war that was thrust upon me (and it was). Then Ancient Walls, Water Mill. Then started building my first district, a Campus beside the mountain near my capital. After that, a Commercial District.
- Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
Yes, I was an innocent victim of Russian/Brazilian aggression and had to put them down in self-defence. Russia fell on
turn 51; my army had to recover and also divert a little to the west to put down some barbs; Brazilian capital went
down on turn 77, but by then they had a satellite city which lasted until turn 83 when I burnt it to the ground. Peace at last!
Started building a Campus on turn 50-something, only after conquering the Russian capital (which already had a Holy Site).
Built no settlers yet, but by turn 85 I have conquered both the Russians and the Brazilians so have three good cities.
Discipline and God-King when available on turn 13. Switched to Urban Planning after a while.
Autocracy when available on turn 74: Agoge and Conscription; Urban Planning; and Revelation as I was now in the race for #2 religion.
Met Kandy on turn 3 or 4
Kumasi turn 11
Carthage turn 12
Put a couple of envoys into Kandy because of their weird unique ability (hadn't tried it before -- have, however, not found any natural wonders yet).
Met Brazil on turn 6, peaceful start
Russia encountered on turn 11
Then both of them declared war on turn 30, just as I finished my third slinger.
Spain showed up at some point, and then I met a Scythian scout on turn 50.
For the moment I have peaceful relations with the two surviving neighbour civs. Let's see if they know what's good for them better than the first two did.
Free stuff! For example my scout walked into an unoccupied Barb camp on turn 12 and got Early Empire inspo, fought off a few incursions, cleared a few more camps (getting a free scout, enough faith for an early pantheon, etc)... lost no units until turn 83 when a damaged scout tried to flee from one barb warrior and mistakenly wandered into another one.
- Any surprises?
Being declared war on by turn 30! Ten turns later Peter started asking for peace while my three archers, one warrior and three war-carts were approaching his city. Forget about it. St. Petersburg was also under attack by a lot of barbs and I took more damage from barb archers than from the Russians.

Am now up to turn 85 and about ready to call it quits for the night; have won my early war and decided to switch back to my original policy of peaceful expansion and building. There's a good deal of vacant space nearby and I am switching to Classical Republic and choosing cards suited for this purpose; I'm going to spam a few settlers and builders, then be awesome. Did not get religion #2 but seem certain to get #3; and nobody's taken Jesuit Education yet (which I like for culture and science stuff). Catholicism only exists in Rio de Janeiro which is now my #3 city, and Zoroastrianism exists somewhere unknown. Haven't decided on which victory condition I'll pursue yet.

Last edited:
After moving the warrior NW, I settled 1 tile West, with 3 luxuries in the 2nd ring, and hoping for a second city on the river on the East

Techs: no clear goal, mainly following the boost obtained and pre-tech. Mining, Animal husbandry, 1/2 Bronze working, 1/2 Archery (T23-27, boosted and finished T34), Potery, Bronze working, Writing (T35-38), Currency, 1/2 Horseback riding, Wheel, Sailing (T57-59), Irrigation, Astrology, Celestial navigation (T63-65), Masonry, 1/2 Apprenticeship, 1/2 Stirrups, 1/2 Shipbuilding, 1/2 Engineering, 1/2 Construction, 1/2 Cartography, Appenticeship (T93), Mathematics
Civics: the classical way towards Political philosophy (achieved T62) with everything boosted but low culture. Then Mysticism (I wanted the first great scientist, Hypathia), Military training, Games and recreation, Defensive tactics, Feodalism (T80-89), always with a lot of boosts.

Sumer seemed well suited for Domination, which is a VC that can be quite fast

War-cart, Slinger, Settler, Slinger, Slinger, War-cart

I build a campus +3 on a city I captured, beginning T41, finished T56 with a chop. Could have had a +5, but 2 tiles to buy was too expensive and I wanted Hypathia

Mainly for adjacency

I settled a second city (Eridu) quite quickly, then I captured 4 cities and a settler during my first war (T32-61, 2 civs defeated), and I captured 5 cities and 2 settlers during the second war (T83-103, 2 civs defeated). So 12 cities and 2 settlers on T103

Spoiler :

On turn 100 :

Discipline + God & King for a pantheon (Stone circles), then Agogê (but I forgot that doesn"t work for war-carts), then Discipline + Urbanism, then Conscription.
T62 I choose Classical republic (first war just ended) with Urbanism + Caravansaries + Charismatic leader + Conscription, replaced later by Inspiration (Hypathie again) then Strategos
T80 I switched to Oligarchy for the second war, with Conscription + Urbanism + Diplomatic league + Ilkum, replaced by Serfodom T89

Kandy, Kumasi, Carthage by T16 the Lisbon but always second. I got Carthage by my side (2 quests + 1 envoy) but lost it 3 turns after. 1 more envoy for buying their troups for the north front during the second war. I get also suz of Lisbon (1 quest with Diplomatic league +1 envoy) for gold and my first horses.

Spoiler :
Later I met Amsterdam, La Venta, Stockholm and Seoul (captured the turn after by another civ).

Until I began wars, yes. I engaged Spain into a joint war against Brazil, then I DoW Spain (first war). Russia and Scythia then declared a joint war against me on T83 (second war).

I didn't clear the fog, to profit from the UA, but forgot to keep enough troups behind, so sometimes there were quite annoying. Some improvement were pillaged, and even 2 districts. Carthage's army helped chasing them on the north. But they give me a scout (who died to barbarians quite fast), some boost (Defensive tactics, Theology, Games & recreation), 1 pop, and some faith and extra gold. Several were cleared by others while I was fighting...

- Any surprises?
No Iron in the proximity

Turn 107. I have 8 cities and more in the pipeline. I settled in place and built up a war-cart army to attack the neighbours. I captured the closest religious CS (Kandy) which gave me a Holy Site, then headed South to invade Brazil followed by Spain. Both have now passed into history, yielding me 3 cities and a second Holy Site. I managed to found the second religion without really trying (Stone Circles, amenities and gold per city) and have been establishing Campuses as cities grew. I have moved into settler mode at this stage and am expanding into the empty territory to N and SW. I really want to go for a Science victory but I suspect I will end up seeking Domination as the easier option. My major concern at this stage is lack of iron to upgrade war-carts and warriors:- hopefully Russia (next target) will provide some. I have a couple of galleys scouring the coastline for sea routes to other land masses. Barbarians have been a constant irritation but are now largely under control in my areas of influence.

Top Bottom