6otM 100A replacemnt AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 100 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory type, date, and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Culture ?
- How did you pump your Science or Religion?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
-What do you think of the One City Challenge?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Victory: Religion, 175 turns - Date: December 10th - Score: 479

Fun challenge. Haven't done a OCC in a while, and really enjoyed doing one again. Honestly, the hardest part about this game for me was taking so long to actually find everyone's cities. Lacking a Harbor and any naval units really adds some turns on. Loved the game and start location. +50 faith Vampire Castles are just lovely. Thanks again for the fun challenge idea!

20201210135318_1.jpg

Attachments

• 6oTM100A-Final-VektorKat.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 58
Victory: Religious: Turn 156
First OCC game ever! First Apocalyptic game ever! My 4th GOTM.
It's so fun to play a game while others play the same game as well.

I focused on religion, and since I learned from others in previous GOTM, I know that it could be a quick victory.

I settled on the opening spot and got myself a scout. I focused on faith. I chose the Voidsingers, since I thought it was the faction that is all about religion (but other societies seem to be even better).
I choose as a panteon (fire goddess), since the volcano would probably erupt a couple of times (and it did!). I also built a trade route and a lot of churches. Religious wise I chose Reliquaries, Synagogue, Holy order, Pilgrimage. Unfortunately I haven't had any relics at all. I thought the secret society mode would give me more relics than usual. Alas!

I think all beeline gameplay untill the end. 86 faith a turn.

To be patched:
- trade mechanics (that ai would only sell 1 X to 1 gold instead of 20 X to 20 gold.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0156.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Victory: Religious, Turn 102, December 11th, Score 295

First OCC for me as well.

Settled in Place and went Scout --> Monument/Old God Obelisk for the early Pantheon. Prioritized the Holy Site and the great Bath. But bought only 2 Soothsayers (+1 from Appease the Gods)
Took River Goddes as Pantheon to keep growing and be able to use all Floodplains. Feed the World for the same reason and Missionary Zeal.
For researched I focused on the techs that allow you to move over water.
Pheonicia was the only other civ who founded a religion and I was able to convert them early, so I used all my faith for missionarys all game and did not buy any apostles.

I "wasted" a few turns by forgetting to buy missionarys the moment I was able to.
Wanted to finish sub turn 100, but did not find the last AI for too long.

MVP was the classical golden age for additional missionary charges and movement.

Attachments

• GotM100A 102_ A.mexicanum Final .Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
The missionary spreading is a useful trick! Thanks!
PS Thanks to the ones who make the GOTM possible!

SV T212

Spoiler Details :

The strategy I played was to use both soothsayers and Voidsingers as follow

1. Generate faith on floodplains with Great Bath and Soothsayer
2. Convert the Faith into Science and Culture with the second promotion of the Soothsayers and Menelik unique ability.

I ended up with 1700 science and culture, and 1600 faith before 2 comet strikes on my floodplains at the end of the game.

I built Kilwa and used ISS card in the late-game. Sub 200T SV is definitly doable on this map with a better focus. The tech tree is awful tho.

upload_2020-12-14_18-16-51.png

upload_2020-12-14_18-17-2.png

Attachments

• 6OTM 100A OCC SV T212.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 6OTM 100A OCC T212 SV.png
    6OTM 100A OCC T212 SV.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 6OTM 100A Stats.png
    6OTM 100A Stats.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Menelik Space Victory turn 393, score about 780?

Unofficial - I opened the game and started on another religious VC about 5 turns, until I was swayed by the discussion in the announcement thread to a science vc strategy for this start. So ok.

First lesson... starting position is critical. I did bad... started on the deer, don't remember the logic, but got stuck with tons of mountain tiles. Used the soothsayers getting river tiles up to 28 faith per turn each (max rate about 280 faith per turn). Max science was about 400 per turn, usual gold per turn about 100. Hint: this is bad to do on volcano tiles unless you like spending builders to rebuild.

All the resources seemed to be designed for someone settling their OCC a bit to the NW, maybe on the other hill you can reach on t1 or t2. Too bad for me.

I launched about t342 because tech was limiting. Had some competition for great people I wanted, but pretty much got all builds done in no turns, once enabled by the technology. Right after launching, the apocalypse started happening with solar flares and asteroids and tech rate collapsed... 50t went by before I could build lagrange or terrestrial laser boosters. A new solar system reached just in time for this one to die.

So... my slowest SV ever. Good thing its not official submission! (LOL)

I don't want to do another OCC for a long time. :vomit:

Attachments

• MENELIK II 393 1972 ADsv.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
Defeat T204

I interpret this defeat as the game punishing me for not winning within 200 turns :lol:
Hong Kong getting wiped out by a comet early on while I had just started to work on the science projects and the constant solar flares didn't help...
The only thing you can do to mitigate the risk of getting wiped out by a comet is to build a wide empire of multiple cities, but since it was an OCC challenge that was out of the equation...

I also did a few mistakes:
I built the IZ (and Diplomatic Quarter) too late. Since you are working a lot floodplains early on that provide no production, the added production would have been really helpful. It was especially true considering there were 4 industrial city-states on the map.
I should have skipped the Campus or the Theater Square or maybe even both (or at the very least build them after the IZ.)
I made two many detours to get eurekas/inspirations that required production. I should have just beelined the necessary techs/civics since production was the limiting factor and the science/culture output was insane.

Things I learned from this game:
Ski resorts in ring 4 and 5 still provide amenities to their city.
A city stops passively acquiring tiles through culture when all the tiles within a range of 5 are already acquired.

Weird thing I noticed in this game:
a constant -1% growth "bonus"

Attachments

• Civ6Screen0003.jpg
    Civ6Screen0003.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 98
Science Victory - Turn 275

Wow this game was a ton of fun! Never played a OCC before, and never with such an unorthodox strategy of flooding my rivers every turn to produce a faith-based science victory! Thanks PotatoMcwhiskey for the heads-up to this strategy! As indicated in the attached screenshot, I was producing 800 Science, 324 Culture, and 452 Faith per turn from a single city on turn 274.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Early game it was all about the Great Bath and then transition to the Oracle. This would allow me to actually use the faith I was planning on producing through my Soothsayers, rather than just passively taking the 20% boost to science an culture.

- Did you bother with Culture?
Not really. I very rarely build a Theatre Square, and with the OCC I wasn't gonna waste my build time.

Flood the world!!! Sacrifice my early units for soothsayer bonuses, build Kotuku-In, and then burn those warrior monks for more soothsayer bonuses! Then flood the world!

Always.

How quickly flooding the world can contribute to CO2 emissions. I started to get quite nervous about how badly the environment was changing before turn 100! It caused me to slow down my soothsayer production and use/waste my faith on Great People. Turns out this was a mistake, I should have been flooding the world 1-2 times per turn the whole game because I finished my launches well before level 10 Aocolypse meteors.

Heck yeh. Super fun to try new ways of playing the game, and thanks for giving us the start to do so. The land was also tricky to find enough space for flood-plains AND be able to building Oxford / Ruhr Valley. Thanks for that. I would say, however, that Prince is probably a little too easy. At no point in this game was I the least bit concerned I would be attacked, or that I would not win, which is disturbing because this is a OCC.

- What do you think of the One City Challenge?

Love it! Thanks for giving us that criteria! Would be fun to try some other game quirks, like no wonders, etc. I'm excited to try 100B, and now 101 with that quirk!

BTW I did have a crash on turn 13, replayed as before. It does not matter, however, because I play with a few graphic mods so that auto-disqualifies me anyway! :crazyeye:

Attachments

• Game100a-Ethiopia.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
  • Civ6Screen0010.jpg
    Civ6Screen0010.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
My first game got wrecked by a kitten trampling the keyboard, but I felt like trying for a replay.

The Great Bath drew down the wrath, and tiles that were producing over 75 Faith per Turn suddenly were very much not. And my conversion into Culture and Science suddenly got negligible, with no chance of repair. My suzerains started slowly disappearing to comet barrage, my Culture and Science dipping by 5% or more as they went. Finding Smart Materials at 250 Science per Turn takes a really long time but I did manage to launch Exoplanet. Ethiopians will live on, on Mars and whatever new planet they travel towards at 1 light year per turn.

But Addis Ababa met its end Turn 260 as its luck ran out and the comet came crashing down.
Spoiler :
upload_2020-12-24_16-22-38.png
upload_2020-12-24_16-23-9.png

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

View attachment 583995 View attachment 583996 Religious victory - Turn 152

Haven't played Civ6 for a few months as a result of work and Assassin Creed Valhalla but tried the Polish Science GOM and had a nightmare - see my post, so ended up trying this one just out of a desire to get over the despair of failure.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? -
Realised early on that prioritising Shipbuilding was a must as was a golden age, spent 20 minutes trying to work out whether to do Campus or Holy site first and where I could put them. In the end I knew I wanted the Mahabodhi temple so that drove the decision - I went writing and Campus before Masonry and Astronomy and then Sailing to get a builder in the water in case I needed it either for the Eureka for Political Philosophy or Era points from meeting the AI - thankfully the builder found the 3rd city state, but not much else, Build order was Scout - Slinger - Obelisk (from brotherhood) - Start Great Bath - Campus - Finish Great Bath - Holy Site - Shrine. Took Fertility Rights to get me the builder to Eureka Craftmanship

- Did you bother with Culture?
Nope - didn't even lay down a Theatre square - went all out Religion

Used the Rock Hewn church and one Soothsayer to leverage the Great Bath - looking now at some of the posts above I probably should have done more Soothsayers. Kept thinking about the "appease the gods" special event but had risked not building many troops so didn't have much to sacrifice and didn't feel I had space in the build order. Had planned to do more with the IZ but got the victory sooner than I expected so never got going with that. Hard built both a library and University before getting the great people that would have given me the auto build - couldn't have waited for the library as that would have delayed me but probably wasted 8-9 turns building a university

A little but not in a major way - found Kandy way to near the end to have any impact

A few - thought I'd delayed myself by not building enough scouts but after going west once I'd converted Khmer, every other civ seemed to be within touching distance of the one I'd been focusing on - with England and Sweden finding me rather than the other way around. For me building 3 Apostles was the key - saw some guy on you tube a while back use 3 together with a Guru to heal them (bunch them together to have one heal charge do all 3) - really need them as Khmer, Gran Colombia and Mapuche all built Missionaries and the hit on their religion is massive when the missionary dies - shame I only had one Apostle with the combat bonus

Didn't have too many issues with the natural disasters - the volcano was super active early on but was quiet by the time I built the rock hewn churches

Massively - can't remember ever trying a Religious OCC before and it was my first game as Ethiopia as well so ticked so many boxes for me - really appreciate all the hard work you guys put into the game - the one thing that stops me playing more is the quality of map that the random seed generates

Sorry looks like I've messed up attaching the screenshots - can't seem to correct it

Attachments

• MENELIK II 152 820 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
SC turn 251.
It was an interesting game, those late game meteors and solar flares. I made a lot of mistakes and it was too long since I finished a research victory.

A few tips for future GOTMs that I think would improve the experience:
1) When doing OCC, diplomacy and score victory conditions please use online speed rather than regular speed. The reason is that in the end you are mostly waiting for things to trigger to win and I think in these scenarios online speed will provide a better experience.
2) I prefer to have only a single win condition on a specific GOTM. This gives a better understanding of how other players approached it. If the player base is split into 2 different victory conditions it gives us half the amount of people to compare and learn strats from.

Fun game none the less. ;)

Top Bottom