6otM 102 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 102 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory type, date, and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
    Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with Religion ?
    - How did you pump your Science ?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Science victory t295, score 1619
    ...almost forgot I played this. Good thing I saw my save when I downloaded the next one.
    I only remember being kind of frustrated that it took me so many turns, even though I thought I was doing OK.

Attached Files:

Eyswein, leif erikson and Knowtalent like this.
  3. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

Science Victory T291, Score 2886

See my post in the Opening Actions for first 100 turns.

After the first 100 turns, I met India and started to spread my religion. I also built some Military (mainly Knights) and started warring against Zulu who proved quite difficult due to many walls and Encampments. After finishing him off in a tedious war, I started war with Sumeria which went a bit easier. I then followed up with India who hat great cities for taking. Meanwhile I focused my core cities on building the wonders I wanted and developing them for a Science Victory.

After conquering my continent I went after England on the next continent and now my Military was highly developed with experience and technology so it was a quite easy take. Meanwhile I had my first Bombers and ran over Brazil and France, leaving only Scotland, while letting France and England have one city each.

I used Krakow and my Petra city for the Space projects and got the science victory on Turn 291. For sure it can be done faster as I did a lot of unfocused building in my cities and tried to make use of Jadwiga's abilities instead of beelining to a fast Science Victory.

Interesting start of the game, but the last 50 turns or so were quite dull, waiting for the rockets to launch.

Attached Files:

Eyswein, kcd_swede and leif erikson like this.
  4. Mazrak

Mazrak Chieftain

Failed

I've had 3 attempts at this and each time I end up quitting round turn 175 in frustration at my lack of progress. It's a shame that more people have had an attempt at this one as it would be helpful for me to see a more detailed account of a successful playthrough so I could learn where I'm going wrong

Spoiler :
    The map is a nightmare - the mountains prevent proper India contact, there's no passage across to the other continent until Ocean travel is possible and there's only one niter spot available, whereas Zulu has at least 3. I found myself with a decent sized army facing off against his equally large army and encampments each time I played. In each scenario Zulu and Gilgamesh had fought an early war, with Gilgamesh then turning on me and me taking his cities. I also seem unable to get any real Tech advantage over Zulu

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  5. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

T392 Score1350
    What did you prioritize for research and policies? Science and faith boosts.
    - Did you bother with Religion ? Yes, I love the faith based economy.
    - How did you pump your Science ? City states/ faith buying campus buildings
    - Were City-States helpful? A little.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Nope
    - Did you enjoy the game? Yes

Attached Files:

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  6. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

SV T209

Map
    Weird layout where Shipbuilding was required to meet the 3rd AI on the landmass.
    Lots of spots for 4-adj campi

Poland
    This civ doesn't really have any abilities that help it pursue a SV which fits the meme "Poland cannot into space".
    Standard adjacency for Holy Sites and buffed trade routes from Sukiennices are minorly useful, but require building both types of infrastructure (and running both policy cards) to really benefit from them which make it impractical.
    No AI had founded a religion on the continent, so I couldn't benefit from any buffed relics.
    Also sadly, encampments and forts do not culture bomb beyond the 3rd ring. This is the only ability I could have seen as especially useful.
    The conversion of a military slot to wild card makes the government types with lots of military slots more flexible (Autocracy, Monarchy, Communism, etc.)

Run
    Missed the Earth Goddess pantheon.
    I made a joint war with Gilgamesh against Shaka so they would beat each other up before going to war against them.
    Conquered the whole continent with 4 Horsemen and 2 Swordsmen. 3 Knights helped later with Gandhi. No AI had walls.
    I delayed exploring the other continent, because I wanted to wipe mine before meeting the other AIs (and not get negative modifiers).
    However by doing so, I found out too late that there was no cultural city-state on the map. Culture was thus the biggest bottleneck in this game.
    Yet, since there was 4 scientific city-states on the map, the base science per turn was higher and thus the moon landing more powerful. I was thus able to reach Optimization Imperative in time.
    I only did some pillage wars on the other continent.
    2 spaceports were bought with faith.
    Since this is a lower difficulty game, I was running short of gold a bit at some points during the game.

Recent patch changes
    I tried to experiment with taller cities in this game (without great success). Getting 1 city at 15 pop in time for Urbanization is usually no problem, but getting multiple ones at 15 pop early enough to matter is a different story. Without Magnus food chops and/or internal trade routes, they come too late to matter. Increasing housing also necessitates of lot of resources. Only 3 of my cities reached pop 15. A 4th could also have possibly reached that threshold. In the future I don't think I will aim for more than 3 pop 15 cities if I find some spots with food resources to harvest.
    The changes to happiness made me run the Liberalism card most of the game after unlocking it. Colosseum becomes a must. I should also have built the Forbidden Palace/Big Ben for the extra policy slots. I also refrained from conquering the other continent because maintaining 20 tall cities content was already a challenge.
    Rationalism now provides very little additional science (+10 to +20 bpt at most) when first unlocked (which is pitiful compared to what you can get from Natural Philosophy at that point in time). Unless you have extra policy slots, it's not worth running early on.
    The change to the Public Transport policy card makes it harder to buy an additional spaceport with gold.
    The slower pace of the game due to overall lower science output and the recent changes to eureka make it easier to get all eurekas in time. I think I only missed 2 this game (Build 2 Biplanes and Build 2 Drones).

AI
    Maybe it's only anecdotal, but the AIs now seem to build more units when they are at war / under attack.
    Shaka razed Jerusalem early on. An annoying behavior introduced in the recent patches (maybe linked to the amenity changes?). I personally have no problem with AIs conquering city states, but if they systematically raze them, it's another story. Especially, since cities are instantly razed in this game.
    When the first World Congress triggered, I had not met any AI on the other landmass yet. The luxury proposal came up. All AIs voted for banning Cotton despite the fact there was no Cotton on their landmass. They shouldn't even know what Cotton is at that point.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  7. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

8. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

I updated my original post with more details for anyone that cares.

A. mexicanum and leif erikson like this.