6otM 102 Opening actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM102 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you bother with religion??
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

I have played 100 turns and am enjoying the game so far.

- Where did you settle your city?
    I settled on the Chocolate for the extra Production and Gold. With the information at hand, that looked like the best spot for me but in hindsight I should have settled 1 SE for a good Campus Spot and better City Placements overall.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

My Research order was:
    Animal Husbandry (to find Horses and get closer to Archers in case barbs or neighbors will be agressive)
    Mining (mines and chopping)
    Astrology (to build early Holy Site as first district)
    Pottery (to get closer to Writing and Campus as second district)
    Writing (Campus)
    Irrigation (to improve luxuries)

I had Eurekas for all techs in the first 100 turns

My Civic order:
    Code of Laws
    Foreign Trade (early trader)
    Craftsmanship
    Mysticism (Oracle)
    Early Empire!

Here I had Inspirations on all civics up to Games & Recreation

For policies I switched a lot. I used Discipline and God King to start for fighting barbs and getting a Pantheon. After, I used Urban planning most of the time and Corvée for Wonder Building.

- What was your build order?
    Build order Capital: Scout, Scout, Slinger, Warrior, Settler, Holy Site, Settler, Slinger, Granary, Oracle

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

First district was a Holy Site to secure a religion and make use of some of Jadwigas specialties. My second district was a Campus in my third city and then a Commercial Hub in the capital.

- How did you place your districts?
    For my first Holy Site, I didn't really care much for adjacency bonuses and placed it on a useless desert tile. For the other districts I focused on getting at least +3 adjacency for the Era Score.

- Did you bother with religion??
    Yes I got the second Prophet and went for Reliquaries (to hopefully have some synergy with Lithuanian Union ability) and Stewardship since I plan to have plenty of Campuses and Commercial Hubs.

As Pantheon I selected Divine Spark. I might have been better off with Desert Folklore though.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Classical Republic, which is not enabling me to make use of Polands Unique ability, but I wanted the extra boost for Great People.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    I have met four so far. I managed to get suzerainity of all three on my side of the Mountains but have lost two of them again. The quests were quite easy (2x Trade Route, Build Campus, Eureka for Wheel and Build Spearman). I'm trying to utilize Jerusalems Holy City bonus but just lost suzerainity.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Well Zulu and Sumeria were quite far away and didn't really bother me and instead decided to fight each other. I have not met Gandhi yet but can see his land across the sea. I have used both neighbours for plenty of trading (Horses, Iron, Open Borders, Chocolate) to get my Gold income to a good level.

- Any surprises?
    A Barbarian suddenly showed up south of my capitals. He must have spawned across the mountain chain.
    I lost the race for Hypatia even if I was safely in the lead for him. I could have faith or gold bought him but didn't consider the risk that the AI would do it as well

Screenshot Turn 100
    Spoiler Turn 100 :

20210113173438_1.jpg

Turn Log first 100 turns
    Spoiler Turn 100 :

T1: Moved Warrior SE, SW to scout the south lands to take decision on the settling. Mainly I wanted to see if there are other good tiles and a good campus spot.
    1NE or 1E looks like the most promising locations to settle with the extra production even if I would move away from the most interesting campus spots. I decide for settling on the Chocolate.
    T2: Settles Krakow on the Chocolate. My warrior moves south and discovers the +4 Campus spot that is out of range of my capital :(. Since I will probably not build a Campus very soon, I research Animal Husbandry first
    T5: My warriors discovers some red border lines (Military City state?) in the fog to the West
    T6: Meets Akkad and gets a free envoy. Quest is to create a Campus
    T8: Barb scout shows up to the East, Coast discovered to the East
    T9: Barb discovers Krakow
    T11: Warrior finds 40 gold in a village
    T12: New Barb Camp spawned to the North
    T13: Scout discovers Delicate Arch to the North and Anshan city state (+1 envoy). My other scout discovers a new continent and 2 more +4 Campus/Holy Site spots to the south
    T15: Finds experience in Tribal village to the south
    T16: Warrior clears Barb Camp to the north with the help of both city states. Buys a Builder in Krakow for 200 gold
    T17: Meets a Zulu Warrior to the north. Code of Laws finished: God King & Discipline
    T18: Switches production from Settler to Warrior as my Slinger discovers 2 Warriors and a Slinger heading my way. Shaka sends me a delegation
    T19: Scout discovers another Barb Camp far to the north
    T21: Meets Sumeria who sends me a delegation
    T24: Meets Jerusalem, Kills a Barb Warrior with my Slinger for Archery boost and another one with my Warrior for Bronze Working boost
    T29: Settles Warzaw to the East, on Plains Hill next to Chocolate. Warzaw starts on Monument
    T31: Clears Barb camp to the East. Removes Discipline for Urban Planning as I have no more barb camps close to me
    T33: One unmet player has started collecting Great Prophet points (1 per turn), one is collecting Great Scientist points (1 per turn, has 6 already). Great Bath completed by unknown player
    T34: Holy Site completed in Krakow. An unmet player completes Stonehenge
    T38: Bought Trader in Krakow for 185 gold
    T39: Sends Trader to Anshan for a free envoy. A barb Horseman has spawned in the barb camp just next to Zulus capital. My Scout is moving away to let him roam free against Zulu. Divine Spark selected as Pantheon for Great People boost. I was considering Desert Folklore as I would have boosted my faith income significantly with that, but since I plan to build plenty of Campuses, I could make more use of Divine Spark
    T40: Sells 20 horses to Zulu for 4 gold per turn
    T46: Settles Lublin NW, going for a "Tall" strategy. Starting building a Campus (+3)
    T49: Sells 20 horses to Sumeria for 6 gold per turn and 16 gold
    T50: Buys a Builder in Lublin for 215 gold
    T51: Ancient Era ends in 10 turns. I need 8 Era score for the golden age. My planning is to get Suzerainty of Anshan (envoy ready), Get a religion (Revelation card plugged in) and finish my +3 Campus in Lublin (with chopping) within the next 10 turns. Sends the envoy and gets Suzerainity of Anshan
    T54: +3 Campus finished in Lublin
    T55: I use a Slinger to trick out a Barb Spearman from his camp and uses my Scout to destroy the camp for +2 Era Score
    T57: Lost one of my scouts that was trapped to the West on a peninsula with a barb camp
    T58: A barb scout shows up from the south. Where did he come from? There are no Barb Camps to the south and I have seen all the tiles on my side of the Mountains. He must have spawned across the mountains. Recruits a Great Prophet which brings me to 25 Era score and the golden age is secured. Appoints Magnus in Krakow.
    T61: Enters Classical Age in Golden Age with 25 Era Score. Zulu is in a Dark Age, Sumeria normal. I choose Monumentality as I need to improve my land a lot Found Real Catholicism religion with Reliquaries and Stewardship. Buys a Builder for 85 faith
    T63: Appoints Liang in Warzaw
    T64: Sells Open Borders to Zulu for 3 gpt and to Sumeria for 24 gold. Lost Suzerainity of Anshan
    T65: Completes Oracle in Krakow after 2 wood chops with Magnus. Sends Trade Route to Akkad for free envoy and suzerainity
    T67: Regains suzerainity of Anshan after completing the quest boos for Wheel.
    T68: Buys a Builder in Warzaw for 180 gold
    T69: Sells Chocolate to Sumeria for 6gpt and all his 65 gold
    T71: Switches to Classical Republic
    T72: Completes Pyramids in Krakow
    T73: Poznan founded to the North at the desert, next to Oasis
    T78: An unmet player builds Temple of Artemis
    T79: Suzerain of Jerusalem
    T80: Completes +3 Commercial Hub in Krakow
    T83: I discover that the first two Great Scientists are gone. I was leading the race for the first one (Hypatia) with 3.4 points per turn and it was far ahead of the others last time I checked. It seems two civs spent faith or gold to by Hypatia and Aryabhata. I did not build the Library on purpose to wait for Hypatia. That's a real pity, didn't see that coming. An unmet city state has been defeated
    T84: Founds Bydgoszcz, my to-be-Petra-City, south by the Mountains. I hire Euclid, the worst Great Scientist in the Classical Era as I already have the inspiration for Mathematics. I get a boost for Military Engineering, totally useless as I would have built an Aqueduct anyway. At least I got the boost for Education for recruiting him
    T86: Shaka declares for on Gilgamesh
    T91: Completes +3 Holy Site in Lublin
    T92: Completes Sukiennice in Krakow. Buys a trader for faith in Bydgoszcz. Shaka completes Apadana
    T96: First Galley built in Poznan
    T97: Recruits first Great Merchant
    T98: Petra completed in Bydgoszcz (1 chop + 3 stones harvested with Magnus)
    T99: Buys my first Missionary. An unmet player builds Great Library, another one Haning Gardens

At Turn 100 I have:
    5 cities (6th will be founded next turn)
    Score 267 (1st)
    Science 23.5 per turn (3rd)
    Culture 16.8 per turn (2nd)
    Gold +68 per turn (58 from cities, 17 from deals)
    Faith +20 per turn
    59 era score of 60 needed for golden age (10-21 turns left)

I now have a good base with 5 strong cities: 1 Campus (+2 on the way), 2 Holy Sites (3 more planned), 1 Commercial Hub, 1 Harbor
    I have built the Oracle, Pyramids and Petra

My plan for the next phase is to:
    • Start the Mausoleum in Poznan
    • Hopefully meet India any time soon (I can see there borders since some time across the lake)
    • Spread my religion
    • Switch to Military and take over Sumeria and Zulus

leif erikson likes this.
  3. jshelr

jshelr Warlord

Just wanted to say thanks for the work of setting this up. I'm going into the industrial era and can see where the game is headed. To lazy to finish :)

Sumeria sent a settler guarded by only an archer early. So, we were able to grab that and encourage Zululand to help fight Sumeria. Ended up with all Sumerian cities and one Zulu city that lost loyalty. Had one coastal city south of the mountains near India. So, lots of land with population growth picking up, etc.

leif erikson likes this.
  4. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

At t100 it's going pretty well. Already in the the lead (score wise). I'm at 255, and the second place civ who I haven't met yet, is at 202.

Settled across the river on the Plains Hill

Wanted to get a religion, so built Holy Site early. turned out the last Religion went really late in the game, so no rush.

The neighbors were pretty peaceful, but eventually Gilga declared war on me because I was so aggressively settling up north, plus my army was pretty weak.
    But now I have him right where I want him! :) I plan to take all this territory, plus those of his side-kick Shaka.

I haven't decided what to do with India yet, but will probably wipe him out too. then coast to a peaceful win (assuming I finish the game)
    There's not a lot of suspense about how the game is going to go at this point, so I'm not sure I will finish it.
    Plus I've already reloaded a couple of times without thinking (because of mis-clicks) so my game isn't valid anyway.
    I'll probably play it at least as far to see how the winged knights work though.

Here's screenshot of the current situation.

Spoiler map t100 :

Poland_turn100.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    leif erikson likes this.
  5. Thorak

Thorak Warlord

I started up the game with the strategy in mind to conquer my puny neighbours. After building a horde of militia and failing to conquer the Akkad city state I gave up. I have no doubt I would be able to finish the game but I realized my strategy failed miserably so I am going back to diety instead.

Lesson learned, don't underestimate the power of military city states on king difficulty and their ability to mass produce archers. I had a fun game none the less. ;)

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.