1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 104 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 104 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory type, date, and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
    Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with Religion ?
    - How did you pump your Culture ?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - How important was the extra policy slot?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Eyswein and Knightfall like this.
  2. Chrumo

Chrumo Chieftain

151 CV Score 936

Spoiler T152 :

KK_CV.jpg

I conquered Mitla CC early, that city was just too good not to capture. After that, I eradicated Japan and Netherlands, just because I had a couple units build already.
    Settled 10 cities, conquered 7, and flipped 1 from Maya.

Horseback riding for early conquest, humanism/conservation for the culture
    I did get one, mostly to preserve my pantheon (Divine Spark), never built a single missionary or apostle.
    Grabbed all of the GP, Theatre Sq. in every city
    Kabul was extremely helpful with leveling up my units, other than that, I don't think any of them were useful.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it
    No, smooth sailing from turn 1, but what other could you expect from a Torres start :)
    The extra eco policy was obviously powerful, but the ability to instantly create trade posts was even stronger - it basically allowed me to instantly create trade routes to the entire world, boosting my tourism output.
    Very much, an extremely relaxing, easy game. Great way to playtest the industry/monopoly game mode. Managed to get 5 or 6 industries/monopolies, they are so much fun to gather - it even got to the point where I was reluctant to trade them off to the AI simply because I was enjoying the monopoly:)

Thank you very much for the game!

Attached Files:

3. Sero

Sero Chieftain

193 CV SCORE 927 2/3/2021

Spoiler Turn 193 :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI Screenshot 2021.02.03 - 08.56.27.18.png Sid Meier's Civilization VI Screenshot 2021.02.03 - 08.55.59.30.png

Originally wanted to play a peaceful game, but changed my mind once I met japan and saw how close he was. Who am I to resist the urge to reenact the Mongolian invasion of japan. Declared war on japan around turn 83, and conquered their 4 cites by turn 90 with 3horsemen, a warrior and 3archers. Managed to secure a classical and medieval monumentality golden age which I used for builders and a couple settlers. Settled 10 cities, one of which was on the other continent with Macedon, Egypt and Germany for the trade routes, conquered 4 from Japan then went peaceful for the rest of the game. Managed to get an alliance with everyone except Egypt at the end.

Horse back riding for early war. Feudalism for the extra builder charges.

I did rush a holy site, and since it was King difficulty I thought I'd be able to snag one without building a shrine, but I just barely missed it haha. Was still useful for the faith for monumentality GA though.

God of the open sky (Pantheon) for the early culture boost. Theatre squares in most cities,1 or 2 festival projects to grab all the GP. Batey improvements since I got to suzerain the CS.

Definitely, I was suzerain of 4 or 5 CS this game and I had fun with the nazca lines for the extra faith yields, and the batey improvements for the culture. Even got some science boosts from Fez which was amped by Kilwa.

There was an annoying barb camp that spawned where I wanted to settle my second city. It spawned 2 warriors and a slinger, but I dealt with it pretty easily with my slinger, and once I got my warrior back from clearing the other barb camp.

The extra policy card slot was pretty strong allowed me to have an even better early game than usual, especially for a culture game. However, I found the inspirations and eureka boosts from the instant trading posts to be even more useful and super potent. Managed to grab a ton of eurekas and inspiration boosts that would have been annoying to go for. Not to mention the extra tourism from trade routes!

Definitely, really nice change of pace from deity. First time getting a Torres start as well as playing the monopoly and corporations mode. Both were extremely enjoyable and I managed to get about 7 industries and one corporation which I got literally 1 turn before the game ended (lol). Decided to go for every wonder I could, since I usually don't get to do that on deity. By the end I had built Apadana, Machu Picchu, Oracle, Temple of Artemis, The Pyramids, The Great Library, Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, The Forbidden city, Kilwa Kisiwani and The Hanging Gardens.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  4. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

Well, the save says 155 but the Hall of Fame says 153, 1100 something score. Weird.

When your first naval unit is a Great Admiral, you probably neglected your scouting. I had no idea Monopolies were so powerful for Culture Victory and Flight was an afterthought.

Kublai Mongolia abuse! Send Trader, instant Trading Post, get boosts, declare war, make peace, lather, rinse, repeat.

A half dozen Horsemen were enough to handle all my Wall-less neighbors. I left Aztecs and Maya with one city each, and should have done the same with Japan and Netherlands. It would have been tough though because cities were Loyalty flipping all over, which was what finished off Japan.

Fun game. If I would have practiced these modes first, I could have shaved off a bunch of turns. I never even developed the Mercury on my own continent!

Edit: I should also mention that Voidsingers took FOREVER to trigger, costing me those early Great Works spots and benefits. It didn't become an option until the Medieval!

Spoiler :
    upload_2021-2-4_5-47-14.png

More Edit: Hmmm, pushing Currency for Industries and Economics for Monopolies, I only shaved less than 10 Turns but did get up to +480%. I'm going to have to ponder this strategy. Although Cleo cranked more defensive Tourists in this game than my first one; if she had played nice like the first game I would have been around turn 135.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  5. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Turn 212, Score 1381.

I only built a couple of culture districts, but almost all my cities had all three levels of wall. I also had a few corporations.

Attached Files:

6. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

CV t212 score 986
    Spammed Teatre districts and did WW. Also spammed Batey improvements from culture CS's, and beelined flight. Made 2 or 3 Nat Parks near the end. I only fought defense war on Japan, then wiped out the Dutch because they joined Japan in an emergency war on me. Alaso took over two Science CS's who were suzeriegned to my rivals. I founded a religion for Jesuit Edu, but Lady 6 Sky overpowered it anyhow, very early, so it wasn't a factor. I joined an emergency against her and pillaged then raze a city - which slowed down her culture and gave me the win. CV without Rock Bands.

Fun, relaxed game. Could have been faster, but I was playing with thenew features a little. Did not figure out much about industries and corporations, or preserves... but built them just to see.

Attached Files:

Eyswein, A. mexicanum, Sero and 2 others like this.
  7. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

CV 193 (I think). Quite a fast game indeed. Settled total 7 cities, took Mitla (I agree, too good to resist, though I almost never take CS) and 2 Japanese cities and one Japanese very late by loyalty after it was captured by the Maya.

Kublai does seem like a strong leader!

Attached Files:

8. Thorak

Thorak Warlord

CV Turn 149 (according to Hall of fame), Score 783

I settled in place, which I think was a bad choice, not enough production. I wanted the fresh water and the +3 science campus which turned out to contain a horse.
    With so many horses and a close Japanese AI, I focused on horseback riding and an early conquest. I only built 2 settlers and then went out on a conquest and quickly conquered Japan. The turn before I was about to declare on Netherlands I got hit by a joint war from Aztechs and Lady six skies, but I still conquered Netherlands first. The joint war slowed me down a lot though as I didn't have time to give them a trade route and I lost some units and had to declare peace.

Later on though, I declared war on both of them and took all Mayan cities and all Aztechs cities but one. I revived the killed civs so when I won all civs were alive. I focused on flight after that and building as many culture improvements as possible. I was surprised how quickly I won once I had discovered flight.

I made a lot of mistakes this game and I think I could have won much earlier if I replayed it. First time I play this mongol leader, first time with corporation, my first culture win on King and only second time with secret societies. Fun game none the less though and a very impressive capital start.

upload_2021-2-7_9-35-37.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  9. Chysp

Chysp Chieftain

T138 Culture Victory (according to Hall of Fame, 140 in screenshots - always very confusing). Voidsingers, focus on maximising Monopolies (I had 5 at the end of the game, giving me +540%), beelining Mercantilism and pumping out Great Works.

I don't feel like I played particularly well. I made two big mistakes. The first was failing to explore with Galleys sufficiently to find the other continent much earlier - I actually never met the final civ (who I now see was Alexander), and up until about Turn 115 I had still only met Japan, the Netherlands and the Maya. Had I explored earlier, I could have started building tourists with the other civs and shaved off several turns. The second big mistake was undervaluing my Science - I knew I could get a win before I researched Flight, so I wasn't actively pursuing Science much. However, I should have put more focus on Science in order to reach Printing earlier for the 2x Tourism for Great Works of Writing.

I don't really feel like it was a mistake, but I didn't build either of Mongolia's unique UU/UB as it didn't fit in with my plans by the point they were unlocked. The free Economic slot is obviously a big help, but the Eurekas/Inspirations from trade routes didn't help me at all as I only ever boosted things that I didn't want or need.

Still, fun game, with a very friendly starting location! I might replay this at some point and try and see if I can win sub-120, as I definitely think it's possible.

Edit: Decided to try the game again, obviously with more knowledge of the map and a revised strategy. Managed to get the win MUCH quicker (Turn 105 HoF, Turn 107 screenshot). Made sure to explore more with a Galley to meet the civs on the other continent, and focused more on Theatre Square projects to absorb all the Great Writers asap. Monopolies only helped for like two turns, and I actually had less of them this time, so they weren't anywhere near as important as in the first attempt. Nonetheless, they probably still shaved off 6 turns or so. Buying the Great Engineer to boost Printing though was a good call as my Science still wasn't the best, and just spamming Theatre Square projects this time really helped me scoop up Great Writers very fast. Also got luckier this time finding a Relic early-ish on (Turn 40 or so), so went Reliquaries. Attached the screenshot in the 3rd picture.

Mongolia1.jpg Mongolia2.jpg Mongolia3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  10. kask

kask Chieftain

Hello, score 971 ...and tour was 252.

tried a 1st war on Japan and failed exept for the captured setler. after that, went staight for Mitla CC to capture. After that, I eradicated Japan just to be sure that i m not a failure at all.
    Settled 10 cities, conquered 7, and flipped 1 from Maya.

Horseback riding for early conquest, humanism/conservation for the culture
    not at all
    Grabbed all of the GP, Theatre Sq. in every city
    a lot since i got them all
    totally forgot to explore the sea...was wondring why i was not winning earlier...missed cleopatra et Alexander...
    The extra eco policy is ok to create trade routes to the entire world, boosting for tourism
    easy game...missed again the monopoly mode come always to late IMO, liked as well the great starting point and promimity with japan....

Thank you very much for the game!

Attached Files:

11. A. mexicanum

A. mexicanum Chieftain

CV, turn 124, Score 586

I moved my warrior 1northwest/1west and decided to settler next to the river west of torres. So I settled only on turn 3 but I believe this was the right decision.
    Build order: scout, builder, settler. Used my money to purchase torres-tiles.
    Did not find voidsinger till very late, so I took hermetic order earlier.

research: mining - astrology - apprenticeship/education (for the printing boost, but waited til i got the education boost) - sailing - printing - cartography
    policies: political philosophy - drama and poetry - humanism - exploration. (Usually I do exploration before humanism, maybe drama and poetry before political phiosophy would have been the better choice)

Yes. I believe religion quickens a fast CV. Built just one early holy site but also Stonehenge to deny the AI an early religion. Took Divine Spark, Choral Music (debatable), Cross-cultural Dialogue (would do that again, made me 24 science in the end (20%)). Used my first Golden age for Exodus of the Evangelists, converted Japan, the Dutch and most of Maia. Had 3 missionaries left to wait for shipbuilding/cartography and look for the other continent (useful with the +2 movement.)

Choral music, prioritizing theatre squares

2 barb camps spawned right next to my capital and delayed my 3rd city.
    Japan declared war on me on turn 56 which I did not expect on this difficulty. Luckily the AI is useless at war and I was able to take Japans empire. Left him on one city. Just for Wilhelmina to declare war on him and raise his city! *rant*.

Yes. Mitla helped me in the war against Japan and later provided a nice city for my empire. They also provided nice bonuses for my theatre squares/campuses.

Not that important. Nice to have, but I forget to chancge those cards way too often. More helpful was the instantly built trading post which allowed me to trade with the Atztec.

Yes. This went pretty well and I felt like most thinks worked together as they are supposed to do (civics, technologies, buildings finished in time, not that I was behind in one aspect, as it sometimes happenes). Cartography was a little late but oh well.
    Turn 124 is incredible for a CV (at least for me), but +480% for monopolies is just insane. I really hope they will change this.
    I built 3 setllers late in the game just to get a few additional luxury resources. I like the concept, but the bonus is just too huge. I won the turn before I could use my first great artist.
    Could have finished even earlier if Wilhelmina did not kill Hojo and if I had actually built the ancestral hall as I meant to and not the Audience chamber. Also I purchased a relic when my palaced was blocked by writing, even so I had space in an amphitheatre.

ps: Since there seems to be some confusion regarding the number of turns: You have to add 1 to the number displayed in the hall of fame. For some reason this number is one too low for all games. (Maybe the start on turn 0 instead of one when counting? I don't know. The save file is from one turn later because you win a CV at end of turn. So when you click "just one more turn" to save the game, the AI has it's turn first and you start your next turn before you are able to save.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  12. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

CV t99 425BC, score 360 (t98 according to the Hall of Fame)

I think the way monopolies works on tourism kinda breaks the Culture Victory.
    This was my first game with industries and monopolies, so I was just figuring it out as I went along, but I was really surprised by the huge percentage increases in tourism that monopolies were generating. At the end of the of the game I was getting +560% from my monopolies. I don't understand how they add up, or where to look to see which monopolies are adding how much. They go up as you add more developed luxes too. I did get one in-game notice when I created the first monopoly, but after that the percentages just went up without notice every time I add a new monopoly, or a developed lux. Anyone know where you can see the status of your monopolies?

My early strategy was to beat up on Japan, and take his two best cities, since I had bad memories of how much of pain he was in the last 6otm that I saw him in. And that’s what allowed me to develop monopolies on all four of the luxes that were on the starting continent.

I got really lucky this game. I went with Void Singers (to get the GW/relic slots) and then I noticed quite early (t40?) that Lady Six Sky had a relic. I figured if I was able to get that relic off her, and founded a religion with Reliquaries, that would be a quick CV. I wasn't able to get that relic from her until t65 (trading three luxes, open borders, some horses, and some gold per turn). But it was timed perfectly just before me founding my religion and taking Reliquaries. By t90 I figured I was coasting to an early CV, by t110-t120 probably. But then t93 I meet the last civ, Alex, and he has a Relic! And he's willing to give it up! So boom, my Tourism jumps up by another +24 (x 560%) and t99 CV is the result.

I had only one Great Work of Writing done at game end. coulda skipped the theatre squares

See screenshot of final position at
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....505/D6478D1EF027731333D0B7A1887C240FCCBDB93A/

Thanks for the game. It was fun! I have to play another game to find out more about how the Corporations work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    DanQuayle, Eyswein, Chysp and 5 others like this.
  13. rozhouse

rozhouse Chieftain

CV T125, Score 742

I settled next to Torres, planning to go for Religion and later aqueduct/ IZ to get Engineer points for GE to boost some wonders around ~T100. Worked out pretty well and had decent production in my capital, especially when work ethic went online, cancelling out the production I sacrificed to put two religious sites next to the wonder. As soon as I saw Mitla I knew I wanted that city! With the honey industry it got 3 extra housing and started producing a lot of gold with trade routes + Reyna.

As it was King I managed to get a lot of Wonders - Apadana, Mausoleum, Pyramids, Colosseum, Petra, Great Library (just for fun), Machu Picchu (also for no real reason), Hanging Gardens, Kilwa, Oracle, and was 6 turns away from St. Basils.

Astrology -> Commercial hubs/ IZ -> Printing

- Only to get a religion and some early tourism to my holy site. No relics in the game so chose work ethic not reliquaries.

Great theatre square adjacencies, city states and wonders.

Brussels gave me 10% towards wonders the entire game pretty much which came in handy.

The main surprise was how weak Japan was when I conquered them at T50 or so. I left one city standing so I could get the tourists still...

Nice, but I don't think this is an interesting civ to be honest. I am looking forward to a Vietnam game.

Yeah, it was fun and nice to have a quick one to fly through in an afternoon :)

Attached Files:

14. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

CV Turn 185, Score 1739

See my post in "Opening Actions" thread for first 100 turns.

After the first 100 turns, I conquered all the civs on my Island and then went to see to find the other continent with my strong Horsemen army. In the meantime I built Theatre Centers in most of my cities.

Once I found the first civ - Germany, I sent them a Trade Route for the visibility bonus and easily rolled them over in 3-4 turns after my landfall since they didn't have any city walls. Egypt was next and since they had the least Culture I decided for them to stay alive with their capital. Meanwhile I had my army upgraded to Coursers & Knights. Alexander was as well easy and had no walls in their cities, so the war on the other continent went quite fast and painless. The rest of the game was jus building walls, national parks and generating great works until I had enough culture for the win.

Some interesting topics I learned this game:
    Monopolies gave a nice boost to Tourism but once you remove Civs from the game the bonus gets smaller, so it definitely boosts peaceful games more.
    The Diplomatic Visibility bonus of the Mongol units is obviously lost once you conquer the city where you had the trading post. I learned this the hard way in my war against Maya which made the conquering of them a bit more difficult.
    I see some players decided to conquer Mitla which in hindsight would have been a good thing to do to boost early Culture I think. I never conquer City States but might have to reconsider this next time I see such a good city location wasted.
    I finally reminded myself to use the Great People "Transfer to other city" function instead of running all the way, losing turns.

Thanks for an interesting game. Culture Victory with Mongols is maybe not the obvious choice but it gave an interesting aspect to the game.

Attached Files:

15. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

CV123
    Settled East for production ,got a relic, and got theSecret Society with the Obelisque.
    Picked the free settler from pantheon.
    Went for an early religion and got the second one(reliquaries and world church).
    Monty got the first one .Japan declare on me around T50 .
    I try to leave him with one city but failed as Sendai was going to be raised before I finished his cap and the other one already flipped.
    Started spamming missionaries towards Monty and Lady si x.One toward Netherland and that took care of religion on my continent.
    I had to take Mitla ,was too good of culture there :).
    Monopolies gave me 360% Tourism. Had 3 trade routes to the remaining Civ on my continent.Got to the last Civ around 110 with 2 missionaries and 2 scouts.
    I had Pinga full loaded in my cap(except the space card).
    I loved this culture game, first one that I don't have to wait forever on the last turns to win or not.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

16. walkerjks

walkerjks King

CV Turn 134 (based on HOF date), score 559, 2/11

Hall of fame says turn 134, but didn't give me the win until turn 135. You can see in the attached save that I'm at 42/41 visiting tourists on turn 135.

Basic strategy was to get books as quickly as possible, get a voidsinger invite, find all the AIs, and flog the monopoly system. It mostly worked out.

98% of the time, I settle within 1 tile of start, but certain wonders will cause me to move and that wonder is one of them. I figured even without water, settling adjacent to the wonder would cause me to have overwhelming food. Warrior went around north and settler went around south and there is was! The fresh water spot! So settled on turn 5. Backup was the spot between the forests on the north side. Immediately, I knew this city would hit size 6 it very little time so early empire inspiration takes care of itself without a second settler.

Japan showing up, like turn 7 (and poaching my hut!) was a surprise, so I switched over to conquest mode. 3 warriors (total) and 3 archers (built as slingers) was enough to poach a settler and knock them off on turn 42. At that point, I had 4 reasonable cities in an arc along the river.

I've never built all art museums before. Normally I build 1 or 2 art museums and 8 or more archeology museums. But in a short game, art museums are better. Not that I got to use the museums. At victory, I had 2 art museums built and 1 great artist recruited. And 8 more art museums under construction...

Generating 116 tourism/turn (8 from 3 arts and 108 from 20 books) with a +600% luxury resource monopoly modifier. Had I noticed that Mitla had truffles, I would have flipped them from Wilhelmina earlier and won a bit earlier. Maybe quite a bit earlier as that one flip moved me from +440% to + 600% (I really have no idea how this formula is calculated).

Edit to add - I built 2 campuses around turn 42 - one in newly conquered Kyoto and one in a city just NW of there that I settled with the Japanese settler I captured. Since I didn't need flight, I probably shouldn't have bothered and just built up other stuff until theaters became available. While the printing press eureka was nice, I should have just gone without and basically beelined to printing press without the eureka after a quick stop in shipbuilding. Oh, and I need to chop more. Knowing (now) that I only needed theater squares and ampitheaters, I could have chopped those in some of the cities to really get things moving on books.

Research - Printing Press and Shipbuilding and then Cartography. I suspected I wouldn't make it to flight, so that wasn't a priority.
    Civics - PP, then Drama & Poetry, then Feudalism, then Exploration, then Humanism. In hindsight, would have been faster to skip Exploration and go straight to Humanism. Might have had a little more art earlier.

Nope. Never do unless I'm going for work ethic adjacencies.

10x ampitheaters and 20x books. Theater squares don't give enough adjacency bonus, so I put them wheerever. Just get them up fast, so I can get ampitheaters fast and then culture takes care of itself.

Not particularly, other than providing luxuries for monopolies. None of the really great CSs for cultural wins were in the game (and since I wasn't going to get to flight, very few are that useful).

I never got a voidsingers invite. Japan poached the hut near my capitol before I built my first unit (initial warrior was off exploring). I popped 2 other huts without an invite. So settled on Owls of Minerva quite late even though I needed another economic slot like I needed a hole in my head. But I'm not sure lacking voidsingers slowed me down as normally I would go obelisk first, then theaters in new cities, but lack of voidsingers made me go straight to theater first, which might have been better in the end (I didn't need the obelisk slots for art)

Second surprise was tourism started building before I found the other continent. Should have prioritized sea exploration more. Probably cost me 5 or so turns on victory (I figure I lost out on 16 or so foreign tourists by delayed meeting the other 3 civs). If one knew the map, you could go really fast since you can get to the other continent with just shipbuilding.

A little. Nice to get +1 production, +1 faith, and +1 gold early. Was able to run +50% settlers and +30% builders simultaneously for a while and that never happens.

Yes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  17. walkerjks

walkerjks King

So I indicated I wanted early books, but in hindsight, I played my normal early-ish books. So went back and replayed with a laser focus on fastest books I could get. Pingala + Connoisseur as first 2 governors, beeline Drama & Poetry, chop theater squares and amphitheaters, and then just build builders or theater square projects until the game ends.

Much faster, but still couldn't beat the fastest in the thread as it's hard to beat a founded religion w/ 1 relic + reliquaries for early tourism output. Might see if I can reproduce the relic start to see how it combines with books.

Getting printing is tricky, so one early-ish campus + library is probably useful (Kyoto has a good spot) to get printing at a reasonable time. On a pangea map where you can skip sea exploration, you could skip the campus and still hit printing well before turn 100.

Going to do a deity pangea game with Gorgo to see just how far I can push books first.

Eyswein, Arnold_T and leif erikson like this.
  18. Derpymoose99

Derpymoose99 Chieftain

CV turn 237, 1095 points. Had a lot of fun. Settled in place with one expand. Built an encampment and rushed chariots. Japan was too tempting and I couldn't help but move on to Netherlands'. Once at peace I built more expands and became peaceful. Built many parks and ski hills and finished with rock bands. In hindsight I built my theater squares way too late. Void singers were pretty cool to play with. Much respect to the sub 150 turn players.

Attached Files:

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  19. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

I got the relic going after barbs on the eastern peninsula :) got get lucky

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  20. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

CV T98

Run:
    I settled SW nearer to the NW to get more production. The lower housing wasn't much of a problem since there was a lot of food and I was pumping settlers anyway.
    I went with Voidsingers mainly for the extra faith from monuments.
    I did a weird opening where I tried to get my first settler on the turn I was getting my pantheon: something like Scout - Monument(halted) - Settler(halted) - Monument(finish) - Settler(finish). This gave me the 3rd pantheon choice which is too late to get Religious Settlements even on King apparently. I picked the City Patron Goddess pantheon instead lacking a clear better choice at the moment. However, in retrospect, I should have picked Religious Idols.
    I got a relic on T42 from what might have been something like my 10th tribal village visited at that point. I thus pivoted from my early Oracle+TS strategy to founding a religion asap. I already had a Holy Site, so I focused on getting Holy Prayers.
    I forward-settled Japan to the SE to secure the 2 Diamonds. Japan gained suzerainty of Milta by sending an early Amani there. Hojo then surprise DoW'd me. He had the largest army at that point and had Heavy Chariots. Also, Milta had quite a few units. I didn't even have Archery at that point so I was taken off guard. He however decided to go after my capital (which could not be put under siege without a naval unit). After building my first galley (and upgrading the combat strength of my capital), there was basically nothing he could do to take it down. This gave me the necessary time to get Archery. If instead, he had went after my southern expansion, he might have been able to capture it. I then steamrolled him and took some of his cities with little grievance penalties. After peacing out, I then got 2 more cities from loyalty flips.
    I had to send multiple builders in city-state territory to improve their luxuries

Tourism (total 63T):
    Relic (with Reliquaries) 24T
    4x GWoW (with Pingala Curator) 16T
    Holy City 8T
    4x Wonders 15T
    Monopoly tourism modifier +700% (I temporarily lost suzerainty of Milta at the very end of the game and the monopoly tourism modifier dropped to "only" 560%).

Mistakes:
    Pantheon choice
    I forgot to switch to Autocracy after starting in Oligarchy to fight Japan

Monopolies and Corporations game mode:
    The good: City specialization through industries/corporations linked to the type of luxuries/products present in the city
    The bad: The monopoly tourism modifiers are ridiculous. I don't see how this could have passed playtesting or even theory crafting. I fail to see how "flavorful" it is in any way. Also, the gold income increase for monopolies is very "meh": game-breaking in the early game and inconsequential in the late game since they are fixed amounts. Better gold yields from international trade routes and/or better AI valuations in trades for monopolized luxuries would have been better ideas.

Attached Files: