6otM 11 After Action

Science Victory @323

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Took the standard sort of opening for important districts, then went straight for science victory techs.
- Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
Egypt
- What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
I built a ton of archers, and kept upgrading them to keep them modern. 2 siege units, 4 musketeers and 1x heavy 1x light cavalry.
- Did you use diplomacy? How?
I tried to make peace and stop wars as fast as possible, except with Russia and Egypt.
- Were City-States helpful?
Yes, the extra gold helped out a lot; but it wasn't core to my strategy
- Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
Nope. I got a pantheon giving +culture for pastures.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Yes I lost my damn capital! It was pretty funny it was right after I posted in the first hundred moves; that same invasion force from Rome took over. I maneuvered all my forces invading Moscow and grabbed it back, but it set me back a lot.
- Did you enjoy the game?
Yeah, it was pretty fun. I've never lost my capital city and proceeded to win a game; I usually just give up, but since it's GoTM I kept going!
I was a little bit sad India was one of my closest neighbors; he's difficult to war against and had a giant mountain range protecting him.

Attachments

• GotM_Science_graph.JPG
    GotM_Science_graph.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 221
Hi, this is my first try and post in GOTM!
Science victory @302.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled 9 cities (with two stolen settlers from Egypt) and conquered Kabul early while fighting with Egypt. With 10 cities I decided to turtle, develop the infrastructure and go for science victory.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Beeline archery and political philosophy for the beginning, then I try to balance research for my army (to keep my army upgraded) with research for victory; for civics I went for feudalism, exploration, then civics for corps and armies and straight for democracy after that. I've build Pyramids, Petra and Colosseum (all rushed with workers). The policies that were most helpful to me - professional army (managed to upgrade my army in a few turns), meritocracy (I was behind in culture), logistics (very good when defending), all trade routes adding policies, rationalism for science and machiavellianism as soon was available.
- Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
Nobody.
- What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
Build several archers and 3-4 warriors for war with Egypt, then several chariots. All my army was upgraded later archers-crossbows-cannon fields-machine guns, warriors-swords-musketmen-infantry and heavy chariots to knights (didn't have the oil for tanks), added more units to build later corps and armies.
- Did you use diplomacy? How?
I tried to be friendly with all my neighbors, manage with Egypt and India, Russia kept denounced me, but attacked me only once in the first part of the game - I defeated their attack and accepted their peace proposal. Japan and Arabia also denounced me but they didn't declared war at all. Rome and Sumeria were friendly also, Gilgamesh even offered alliance (we were allies for 60 turns, but he didn't renew the offer). Later I build few spies and I managed to disrupt Japan's spaceport and while defending mine.
- Were City-States helpful?
Yes, I use the majority of my envoys to to Stockholm and all three commercial city-states; I managed to have a 300+ income per turn in the late game, so I was able to bought Kwolek and Sagan for space projects rushing (missed Big Ben).
- Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
Ignored.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Russia in the late game asked for uranium trade, but I refused, they attacked and conquer Hong Kong later with few helicopter armies and corps. I wonder what was to happens if they had the bomb.
- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes, I will try the next one, too. I know I could got an earlier victory (maybe with 30-40 turns), but I enjoyed the game. Thanks.

Attachments

• QIN SHI HUANG 302 1862 AD_GOTM11.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 166
Science victory turn 263 (Nero:- 615 points). Frustrating end from turn 220 (when I reached Info Era and secured Goddard) until one of the killer Space Race GPs finally arrived (Kwolek at turn 247, purchased on turn 258). I bought as many of the Atomic / Info GS and GE as money, faith or district projects would allow, but even with Democracy my cash flow was too limited (only about 200 gpt) to build up a large cash reserve so I didn’t bother with building Big Ben and ploughed all my production into projects or Space Race components. As ever the limiting factor was building Space Ports:- I built one in Xfan and a second in Ra Kadet (the latter only used for one of the last 3 Spacecraft builds).

After turn 107, I captured Hong Kong and Kabul but made peace with Russia, who looked very entrenched behind their mountain range in uninviting terrain. I turned instead to Egypt, who capitulated very quickly and yielded several high-quality cities. I then turned largely to building up science and production and only briefly to defensive wars against Russia (for building up military at my borders) and India (for forward-settling). I actually captured a couple of Indian cities and sealed reasonable peace deals. I never managed to secure an Alliance with any of the AIs, so still not tried out the Research Agreement function.

I found keeping the populace happy a problem in this game, even with a late Colosseum (turn 155, my only use of the Chinese builder-bomb) and a second well-placed Entertainment complex covering the Egyptian colonies. There seemed to be fewer than normal luxury types available? I had a couple of glitches which might be patch-related:- (1) an Egyptian archer with +10 district bonus working on every tile (unexpectedly difficult to kill); (2) strange war-mongering penalty options and (3) a total crash on turn 134 which I restored in the usual manner.

I didn’t find China a particularly strong Civ to play. The extra builder-charge and wonder-bomb were useful but the extra tech and civic boosts didn’t seem to give a very strong push up the trees. I never built a Great Wall improvement (not really useful for Science Victory) and my single Crouching Tiger was of little use (the 1-tile range limit outweighs any benefit from the extra ranged-strength in my opinion).

Attachments

• QIN SHI HUANG 263 1760 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 158
Phew, just in time :)

t180 SV.

This was my first Civ game for some months now and i really liked the AI improvement. It is still a long way to go but i experienced some significant improvements considering unit upgrades and peace deals.

I conquered the city states around me, Russia and Egypt and was done conquering by t140. Afterwards a slightly flawed Big Ben timing.

Super fun as usual, thanks for providing this Gotm!

Attachments

• 20170414161840_1.jpg
    20170414161840_1.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Gotm 11 t180 SV.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 188
Science Victory turn 345

Attachments

• QIN SHI HUANG 345 win 1924 d.C..Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 187
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom