1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 11 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM11 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. tedium420

tedium420 Chieftain

Howdy! I'm pretty new to CivFanatics, so I figured the easiest way to start would just be to do one of the GOTMs. While I'm at it, I'm not a particularly experienced player: I have 19 hours in Civ VI as of writing this, and the only other Civ game I've invested a notable amount of time into is Civ V, at 115 hours. Perhaps it's nothing to scoff at, but compared to some of the 1000+ hour veterans, I do feel a bit out of my element. I've also never played a game at immortal difficulty level before, but I figured it would be a good challenge. My last game was on king, and it turned into something of a curbstomp within the first 100 turns. Without further ado, here's a picture of the map.

Spoiler My Civilization as of Turn 102 :

On the spawn tile - Start seemed fine, didn't make much sense to dilly-dally when the clock's ticking.

I don't remember exactly, but I definitely opened with Animal Husbandry, something I'd bet wasn't too uncommon considering the nearby cattle, horses, and deer. I also took archery fairly early on. A mistake I realized somewhat down the line is that I spent a bit too much time without researching writing; it was barely turn 70 by the time I started setting up campuses. That being said, I don't feel TOO far behind technologically. Policy-wise, I've been using the +1 production card ever since I got it, and I've been shifting around production efficiency bonus policies for military units based on what's in style.
    Slinger first, worker next, then a couple slingers which were upgraded a few turns down the line (I got the Archery eureka nearly immediately thanks to a particularly stupid barbarian scout). After that, my first settler.
    I started no wars, but there were wars nonetheless. A still-unknown Civ wiped out Arabia at turn 46, leaving myself a bit in awe (I confirmed who had been conquered by looking at the Domination Victory window). Egypt fought Kandy, and lost? I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but Kandy remains and Egypt currently has the weakest military in the game. Maybe another war happened between Russia and Egypt and I just missed it entirely.
    I took all too long to build any districts, I feel like. First ones were campuses around turn 70. Currently I'm focusing on commerce hubs, and from then on I suppose industrial zones and theater squares.
    The Oracle - A lot of wonders got built faster than I expected (that's Immortal, I guess). I did get Oracle out with the use of my super-workers, and the GPP generation seems useful enough. Better than nothing, and it didn't drain my production too much (again, super-worker).
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Only 4! I feel disappointed, especially because India founded Srinagar just as I was moving a settler in to take that land for myself. I was forced to relocate the settler to a much less desirable spot (now Changsh) as I wasn't intent on letting India force himself into my territory too far. No capturing either, to my disappointment. My military has always been forced to play catch-up, and as a result I've just barely been warding off DoWs by producing as many units as I can without sacrificing city-building stuff too much. I plan on settling the coastal area slightly north of my capital next, as that's the only area I can even see that would be relatively safe to expand to.
    I mentioned previously, but I've just been flip-flopping between military policies that benefit unit production depending on whether I needed archers, or as of lately, cavalry. I haven't seen a reason to change my Economic policy from the +1 production to all cities, small as that bonus may be. I might change it when I set up more trade routes, but that's been somewhat slow.
    None have ended up on my side, to my dismay; even the ones that I thought would be safely within my grasps (Amsterdam, and Kandy) have been suzerain-sniped by India, and Egypt/Russia have been vying for the ones to my eastern flank.
    Towards me, yes, but in a hostile "if a war on your soil wouldn't be so costly, I would declare it in a heartbeat" kind of way. That goes for both sides; I normally play pretty aggressively on easier difficulties, but without the early combat bonuses afforded to civilizations like Scythia and Sumeria I felt like it wouldn't be worth the hassle or the risk of getting dog-piled on by a bunch of rather annoyed neighbors. As of now, Egypt and India appear to be allied, and Russia is just pissed off at everyone, myself slightly less so than Egypt or India. I hope to secure an alliance with the Russians if I can, so that I can take Sais (another location I was intent on settling, but alas).
    Not painful in the least. The city-states and nearby civilizations have cluttered the map enough by now that few areas are valid camp spawn locations, and I did a good job of butchering Barbarian scouts early on so as to prevent any unnecessary conflicts.
    - Any surprises?
    Not many, other than the conquest of Arabia at turn 46.

Anyways, I'll be back to post in the After-Action thread once this game is done, victory or loss. See you all then!

Eliminator_Sr likes this.
  3. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

On the spot.

Research: Goal was to get Campuses and Com hubs first, then followed eurekas.
    Policies: First, political philosophy then whatever makes most sense until I'm ready to aim for merchant rep.

Scout, builder, settler, few units and then spawned settlers.

First, Egypt and India double dowed me. Later Rome and Russia did the same.

Quite late (T70 ish). Priorities were (still are) first Campus then Com Hub to every core city.

I planned to build Colosseum, but Russia got it super early.
    I built Pyramids and Great Library.

Yes, I have 10 cities (8 self-built and 2 conquered).
    I had a very simple rule to keep up with the expansion pace: Number of cities must equal turn number divided by 10.
    So, at T10 one city, T20 2 cities, ... T100 10 cities until I feel comfortable with number of cities.
    If I'm falling behind, I must do everything I can to keep up the pace (building a settler or capturing city).

Tried to balance between military and settler cards (and later between settler and worker)

Amsterdam is the only one on my side. At this point I'm dissapointed that I haven't met any scientific city states.

Nope.

The map is so crowded that there is very little room for barb camps to spawn.
    Maybe I will soon clear barb camp for the first time, since I just discovered one near by.

Spoiler Empire at T101 :

4. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

I've made some stupid mistakes and misjudgements so far. Even if I win, it is not going to be a good score.

On the spot.

Research: AH, Pottery, Astrology (tried for religion, but failed), Writing, Archery, Horseback Riding, Mining, Currency, Irrigation, BW, etc.
    Policies: I focused on getting Political Philosophy for Classical Republic. Policy progress has been very slow, I'm dead last in this regard.

Scout, 4 slingers, Holy Site, 2-3 more units because of early wars and then Campus..

I stole an early settler from India and foolishly settled on a terrible no-water spot a bit north-west of Delhi because the settler got surrounded by barbarians. The city survived for 20 turns before succumbing to Indian troops. Made peace with Gandhi, attacked Peter and stole 2 of his settlers. I besieged St. Petersburg, destroyed the walls and then I guess he teched-up because city strength jumped to 45. My archers could only remove 1 hit point per bombard, so I decided to get a favorable peace treaty. At that point Cleo sneaked up on me, surprise DoW'd and almost took my capital, but I managed to hold her off and steal one settler. Signed another favorable peace treaty. I still suck at warring in this game.

Holy Site pretty early, Campus around turn 50.

I thought I would due to Chinese wonder ability, but got too involved in the early wars.

6 total, 3 of which were founded with stolen settlers.

First God-King + Discipline, then switched to Agoge. Upon getting Classical Republic I chose Urban Planning, Natural Philosophy, Charismatic Leader and Inspiration. Got one Great Scientist so far (Omar Khayam).

I met Amsterdam, Nan Madol, Kandy, Hong Kong and Kabul. No allies. :(

Nope. Japan is DoWing all over the place.

Manageable.

Attached Files:

5. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Ugh this was a tough slog early and I was getting discouraged. I recovered somewhat but I was fighting wars on 3 fronts and just surviving for the first the first 50 turns. I would have been toast if I didn't go for early units. I'm currently last in science and 2nd to last in score.

Where did you settle your city? Just settled in place - didn't see much of a reason to move and the warrior was locked behind rivers.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    I lost focus and did not take full advantage of Eurekas - there was a lot of early fighting. I got political philosophy around turn 65. I beelined for archery first and I'm glad I did. After that I went for writing for campus and then apprenticeship, but just now building my first Industrial district.

What was your build order? 4X Slinger, worker, Slinger, Settler, campus. I think I would have lost without heavy units early.

Were there any early wars? Did you start them? Yes lots of early wars. I lost track of the order but I tried to take out Russia on an archer gambit because it was the only capital I could locate early, but I failed because of the mountain barrier and other wars. India and Egypt double declared a surprise war in the middle of this and I was forced to play defensively. I had a lot of trouble with Egypt because of their unique chariot unit. They are still weak but I failed to capture any of their cities. I had to retreat my archer army several times because I was just out numbered and had to guard against India who had elephants coming my way from the other direction. I did get a relic from India in a peace deal and one setter from Egypt. Then I declared on Russia late with a light warmonger penalty when they forward settled too close to my capital. That was the only city I managed to capture.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? I think between turn 50 and 60 - I built a campus after getting one settler out and lots of slingers.

Did you try to build any Wonders? I'm currently a few turns away from pyramids. Hopefully I get it. I didn't attempt anything else.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Yes after brokering some peace deals. I'm at 8 cities right now with only 1 capture.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities? I switched these out a lot, but focused on unit production card and +1 production in cities early and then transitioned to lower army maintenance and builders/settlers production boost.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Found 4 city states so far but no science boosts :cry: . I did get the finders envoy for Amsterdam which was useful. I spent most of my envoys for the capital boosts but did not Suzerain any CS yet.

Were your neighbors peaceful? No - I think some payback is in order :ar15:

How were the Barbarians? Not a problem due to the crowded conditions.

Any surprises? Yes - I was surprised that my early offensive fizzled out so quickly and that Egypt and India had heavy hitters so early.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Chieftain

Had a mediocre start. Builder to get some production going and a eureka then a slinger. Early fun with barbs but got a settler out and some exploration. Picked a few sites then got some units to take Kabul.

Then I DOWed Egypt to take a settler and turned my attention to infrastructure. Should have stayed with unit building...

Egyptian chariots came online and walls went up. Foolishly, I was playing with a glass of wine in hand and pushed when I should have backed away.

Army toasted and India forward settling two prime locations. Russia takes Kandy and then DOWs me. Few units I had had no health and were up by Egypt.

Lesson learned: play war or infrastructure, but not both at the same time. Commercial districts don't defeat six horse, three chariots and three warriors...

Have fun guys. See you in the next (GOTM) life!

7. RadBlaster33

RadBlaster33 Chieftain

Well this is my first ever Immortal play on Civ 6. And boy it is tough! I thought I was a gonna when the Russians and Egyptians decided I was week and pathetic little empire and declare formal war with me. But I'm still in the game but way behind in the Science victory. Not sure if my Ancient Units can fight the Medieval unit now. And also they see me again weak and will declare war on me again.

Right on starting position.

Tech was Animal Husbandry, Archery, Writing, Mining and can't remember after that. Policies amid for Political Policies.

4 x Slingers, Builder, Spearmen (totally useless), Settler, Then Archers and Chariots (love this unit). Just getting my Horseman after building my Encampment.

Yes there was formal DOW by the Egyptians and Russians because I was weak nation that needed to be taken over. But I held out with some tactical maneuvering until they lost to many units and gave me favorable peace treaty. But now the Egyptians seem has prime land to be taken over and will soon place a DOW at me.

I soon as I researched the tech I place a Campus in Xi'an. Was going to put a Campus in Taiyuan but there was no bonus for there so they started building a Encampment so I cab build up my Horseman units.

Couldn't get started on any wonders as I was mostly replacing and building up my units during and after the war.

This is something I should have concentrated on at the start and could have made better ground in my science victory. So only build 1 settler and capture a Egyptian settler which has given me 3 cities in total.

I put most emphasizes on production increase and attack strength on units. Right now with Autocracy government I have Agoge & Conscription, Urban Planning and Inspiration.

Hong Kong, Kabul, Kandy, Amsterdam and Nan Madol. Try to cultivate Hong Kong.

Hell no!! Except for India.

Made a mistake of not chasing down a scout and had horde of Horse Archers and Horseman bearing down on me. But finally beat them back and destroyed their camp.

- Any surprises?
    How hard it is to keep up tech level with these AI in Immortal game.

Spoiler Attached Image :

20170319153548_1.jpg

8. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Back in January I was blown away at the amazingly low #turns it took many of the posters here to complete the gotm7 SV so I wanted to challenge myself on this one.
    I had thought I played an almost perfect game then just to make it under 300 but obviously I still had much to learn.

I decided to do a few gotm7 practice playthroughs carefully studying some of the games (mainly whacker's t169) that were posted here to try to figure it out and so far
    on this one I think I'm doing pretty good.

on spot

Animal husbandry - mining - archery (up to eureka) - pottery - irrigation, etc (then whichever techs/civics I was able to boost)

Military-wise while I was building units I used Agoge, discipline for when I wasn't. I used the respective policies for 50% settlers / 30% workers generally trying to get as much
    value of them as I could rarely producing anything that wasn't policy boosted and always kept urban planning.

Scout - slinger - builder - settler - scout - slinger x3 - settler.
    Early scouts were quite helpful in this game as I was able to get the 1 envoy bonuses early on from city state quests and in a few cases being first to meet them.

I declared war on both Egypt and Rome after finding unprotected settlers with my scouts.

Egypt underwent a massive Barbarian invasion during turns 40-60 so I stayed at war with them eventually being able to take Ra-kedet and steal a second settler off them.
    Since Egypt was the suzerian of Hong Kong I figured I'd also try to capture them which I did.

I started an encampment the same turn I finished Bronze working, completing it after I had produced a few builders and a settler.
    I aslo completed a campus and have started construction on a commercial hub in every city that had +2 gold bonus plot available.

Only pyramids so far, I'm hoping to build Colosseum as well

My #1 goal so far and I think I'm doing pretty good. I have 12 cities currently with a settler on route to found a 13th.

Priority is Kabul since the double xp from battles I start bonus is amazingly good.
    I'm also focusing on Amsterdam as I intend to build commercial hubs in most of my cities.
    The Stockholm great person bonus I would really like to get but so far no quests to earn envoys. All the envoys from influence are being drained into Kabul since it keeps requiring more and more envoys to maintain suzerain.

no

Not too bad, I actually was able to use them to my advantage as I DOW'd Egypt while they were under a massive invasion. On the east side of the continent there may as well be a barbarian civilization (see in screenshot) spawning endless hordes of units.
    I don't mind since it's away from my main cities and I can use it sort of as a training camp to level up my military units.

- Any surprises?
    not really

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

cheffster Since you seem to want to learn and do better i will give you some unasked advise for improvement:

I see city walls in a bunch of your cities. You should build those only in rare emergencies. They dont provide any income, they dont conquer any enemies, when you arent being attacked, they are useless. Even when you are being attacked, they might be unneeded, and they cannot move and partake into a counter attack. City walls are expenses, not investments. You want to try and avoid that.

Early game matters most. Its a game of exponential growth. Every turn matters a lot. You need to grow your income per turn asap. So act with a focus. Make a choise, are you going to settle cities first, or conquer them first. Whatever you choose, go for it with 100% max focus. So either you simply start with 4-6 slingers upgraded into archers so that you have an army asap, or you start with a settler pretty much as soon as you're size 2. In this situation, you can add a worker as your very first initial build because with the tiles available to improve and forest cut, it will easilly pay back for itself before you either finish the archers, or the settler. You do not however want to open with a build like scout-slinger-builder-settler. It delays your settler way too much. You are building 2 units. Thats not enough to conquer anything, so its not really an investment but an expense instead. Then you build a late worker which is a great investment but would have simply been a lot more awesome if you did it earlier. The way i look at the opening builds is i start from this:

a) Slinger-Slinger-Slinger-Slinger-Archer-Archer-etc.....
    b) ??? - Settler - Settler - Slinger

A is the basic warriors opening, B is the theoretical optimal builders opening. Obviously A is safe and it includes scouting etc. B might need some adjustment to make it viable.
    You need to grow to size 2 before making settlers, so the optimal answer to ??? in the ideal builder que would be a worker obviously. If you have a good reason to believe you can get away with builder-settler as an opening, great. There are several factors that can make this feasible. In this particular case you are helped by the worker having a forest available to cut. That means if need be, you can switch to a unit and complete it fast by cutting the forest. That and keeping your warrior close to home is very likely enough cover to get you to settler that second town asap. (And i have seriously considered that opening) A second settler would probably be too bold. If you dont think that opening is safe enough, whats the next best option ? slinger-settler maybe. It ansures you have a unit, gives you some extra early scouting and doesnt really delay your settler. It just doesnt get you improved tiles. You want still more ? Then open builder - slinger - settler maybe. Now you have a unit, a worker that can forest cut another one, maybe you can buy another one. Plenty safety and pretty improved tiles. But you have delayed your settler by several turns. That is hugely significant. The fact that you actually get mining in time for the forest cut to be within the settler production might make a good build compared to just worker-settler or slinger-settler. You really dont want to be buliding any more crap before the settler than this.

Then you build a second scout. I personally dont like scouts and i dont build any at all. While it is hugely imporant to meet all the CS in the world, that basically their only true function since goody huts have gotten much worse and meeting CSes first for the free envoy happens only super early and can be done almost equally well by a slinger. (since it is only about a short distance) Building that second scouts takes maybe 3 turns. You build an army after that (finally!) Delaying this army by 3 turns delays all the conquest by 3 turns (or more if the enemy actually got stronger during those 3 turns). Thats just way more than that scout is worth.

So the advise is, play with a focus. Your goal is to ride the wave of exponential growth and thus to grow your income asap. Whenever you build anything that does not contribute to that goal in a well planned and organised manner (meaning you dont just mix up building settlers and units randomly) think very carefully if it is really worth building it and how much it delays your main goal.

PS: My contribution to the thread will come soon, I'm close to turn 100 but not there yet.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    rfa and i_imperator like this.
  10. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

Spoiler Turn 105 Screenshot :
    Civ Vi GOTM 11 Turn 105.png
    This is my first submission at GOTM , read the threads on the previous GOTMs though and learned a lot from them .

On the Spot

Animal Husbandry - Pottery -Writing - Archery - Mining then followed eurekas a bit until Currency . After that I went for Wheel for Heavy Chariots and Masonry for pyramids .
    Policy was basically a beeline for Political Philosophy , though I did grab Mysticism on the way for the envoy . Afterwards I went for Feudalism into Mercenary into Exploration for the Merchant Republic Government while picking up some Science related polices along the way .

Scout - Slinger - Worker - Slinger - Settler - Slinger - Slinger

Yeah , I started a war with India when my first warrior stole a settler from India , I also pillaged a mine and a quarry before a 1 build builder and a settler walked right past me and I took them as well . After that declared war on Kandy with 4 Archers and 2 Warriors , capturing it . Declared war on Egypt , took a city and made peace . Ghandi and Russia declared war on me but I got my Knights and Crossbows ,fought back and took Delhi , Rome declared war on India , we siege Calcutta together but Trajan took the last hit , made a mistake there I think , declared war on Rome and liberated Calcutta , reviving India , because I had too much warmonger penalties . No one was buying my luxuries by then :( . Not really sure if it was the right choice , India is still neutral with me and did not have money to buy my luxuries . Gilgamesh took Yerevan by the time I met him , Rome Japan and Arabia fought with each other , so did Egypt and Russia . Japan declared war on me quite early into the game but no units came and did not accept peace .

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize ?
    Locked Campuses and Commercial hubs as soon as they were available and the population allowed it . Finished first Campus before 60 I think , finished a couple more of both before turn 100 . Finished 1 Industrial and 2 more on the way . Finished 1 entertainment district by turn 75 .

Yes , Pyramids and Colosseum built already and Petra on the way , the Petra is mostly for fun though .

Yes , 13 cities , 8 self built , 2 with stolen settlers , 3 captured ( Kandy , Delhi and 1 from Egypt )
    Mostly kept urban planning , used Serfdom for worker waves and Colonization for the Settler waves , military mostly bonus production when I needed units .
    Took Classical Republic into Merchant Republic

Kandy , Amsterdam , Hong Kong , Jerusalem , Zanzibar , Brussels , Stockholm , cannot really remember the rest . Allied Zanzibar Amsterdam and Stockholm .

Not really .

Manageable , no Horsemen Barbarians spawned near my cities so it was good .

- Any surprises?
    Yeah , the free Settlers from India , and that I was the first to meet Stockholm even though it was just a couple of tiles behind Arabia , also I saw a Barbarian with a Battering Ram , I had actually never seen that before .

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. afireinside

afireinside Chieftain

- Where settle?
    In place

- What did you research?
    Made damn sure I got the Pyraminds

Which policies did you choose and why?
    Feudalism got me Serfdom (Builders get +2 actions = 7 actions)

Builder (all the pastures)
    Scout
    Slinger
    Settler
    Slinger

Russia and Egypt tried to kill me early. Got one of Russia's cities and used Great Walls as defense...BIGLY

Ghandi delcared war on me around turn 90, and I'm currently taking *all* his districty cities.

Didn't build any for a while. Entertainment complex to get Colluseum. Campus for Great Library. Harbar for Colussus.

Pyramids/Oracle/Alhambra/GreatLibrary/Colussus/Great Lighthouse/

- How many cities have you built?
    4 Cities: To the East. West, and South. Far east too for those coastal wonders.

Captured?
    Russia's Western grape city. Im bout to get all 4 of Ghandi's.
    (Also captured Egyptian Settler in a **Bigly** way. He was right in front of a Natural Wonder that Egypt ignored)

+2 Builder Actions
    +2 Great Writer points (was a waste)

Hong Kong da MVP (he gave me iron, and beat up Russia)

Helll no. Even Rome teamed up with Ghandi against me.

- Any surprises?
    Yes, the Natural Wonder threw me off. It made me consider Religion, and distracted from expansion. Could have went Stonehenge! Duhh...

Just met Japan and Sumeria when I stopped.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
  12. DogBoy

DogBoy Chieftain

On the starting location. It looked like the best option.

Animal Husbandry. Then I planned on doing Mining and Pottery but I got a Eureka for Archery so I got that second. Then I worked the ones I got Eurekas for.

Slinger, Builder (wanted early Eurekas), Settler (went west to the mountains where they would be safe), Archer, Archer, Settler, then mainly Archers and Spearmen.

Russia DOW on me on turn 48. It did not turn out well for her because I captured two cities and then sued for peace on turn 78 and she gave me lots of stuff another city.
    Both Egypt and India DOW on me on turn 83. If they had waited 2 more turns it would have been worse for me since I was about to attack a CS. Instead, I fought off Egypt killing a lot of units and she sued for peace on turn 92 and she gave me a lot of luxuries and gold. India is still at war with me on turn 100.

Chengdu began building a Campus on turn 66 and completed it on turn 74. I had to mainly pump out units for defense.

I built The Pyramids on turns 88-95 using builders in Novgorod (thank you Russia!)

I tried but the AIs attacking me slowed me down. I settled 5 and captured 2, and 1 more from peace with Russia. Total of 8 cities by turn 100.

Discipline and Urban Planning. I didn't need to use God King because I met Kandy on turn 3. Later I switched Discipline to Agoge. Changed government to Classical Republic. Eventually got Ilkum and then Serfdom for powerful builders. Unfortunately I have only built one wonder.

Kandy, Amsterdam, Kabul, Hong Kong. None of them are on my side.

No, not by a long shot.

Only a couple due to AI expanding so fast. However, on turn 99 I had a big uprising on my southern border and 3 swordsmen are right outside my border.

- Any surprises?
    The India UU is a beast! My archers barely scratch them. My spearmen do horrible against them. I had enough gold to upgrade 1 archer to crossbowman which is doing good. But my lands are pillaged.

13. Tarskavaig

Tarskavaig Chieftain

Spoiler Turn 84 Screenshot :

Settled in place.

Started toward Archery, so I could finish that as soon as I had 4 slingers. Then Writing and later Currency, for the districts. Also Bronze Working, Horseback Riding, Iron Working and Masonry for military units and a Battering Ram. As for policies, just aiming for Political Philosophy.

4 Slingers (upgraded to Archers) and a Warrior in order to rush a neighbor. Some Builders, a Campus, Granaries where needed, then an Encampment and Commercial Hub. I also built one Settler in there somewhere.

Yes. I needed to search a bit until I found any neighbors, but then I found a protected Russian settler. I took it. Then, as I headed toward a Russian city, a protected Egyptian settler turned up from the north. I used two Archers to chase it and steal it, which meant I abandoned the Russian city attack. Instead, I discovered the Egyptian city of Nekhen and sent my army there and easily conquered it. Soon after, the Indians turned up with a lot of units. Even though I was in second place on the military score, the Indians had twice as much. I expected a DoW, but it never seems to come. Anyway, I needed to use my own units to defend my cities, as I now could expect attacks from 3 different civs. 4 if I count the Romans, but so far they're friendly :) The wars with Russia and Egypt continued until they offered peace deals.

As soon as I had my army up, I prioritised a Campus. Later, an Encampment in the capital. As the screenshot shows, I am also building a Commercial Hub, a second Campus, and a second Encampment in other cities.

No.

No, I focused on military conquest, but as I said, that got put on hold when the Indian army turned up. Two stolen settlers, one "native" settler and a conquered city makes for a total of 5 cities. That's lower than most of the other players here, so I need to do something about it. My plan is to build Horsemen, Swordsmen and a Battering Ram and take some more cities. Don't know which ones, but I think I should just clean out that Indian army and take some of his cities. It will take me some time to match his army, though, so I might have to get out some settlers instead.

I'm focusing on reduced military maintenance and bonus to production of land units. Also bonus to builders. I needed some of those for eurekas, pastures, mines and clearing out some jungle for districts.

I've met the ones shown, plus Nan Madol. Not Suzerain of any of them yet, but I have two envoys at each, except Nan Madol.

Yes, but I wasn't :)

There were some barbarian camps, as expected. They were not very annoying.

- Any surprises?

Yes, I'm surprised by the Indian behavior. I expected them to either DoW or move on, but they just seem to hang around between my cities.

14. jeremy savarese

jeremy savarese Chieftain

I moved two tiles west as not to waste a forest tile.
    Kind of the standard militarized, and important district opening. I'm currently researching military engineering.
    Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Slinger
    Yes, Egypt and Russia both declared war on me very early, but I spammed archers and this worked out very favorably for me. Russia is on the verge of being wiped out, and Egypt lost two cities.
    I have only completed one science district so far, but am building up another and an industrial zone.
    No.
    I've only built two settlers so far, but expansion has been central to my strategy; I currently have 7 cities.
    They get switched out pretty frequently, but -1 gold cost to military units helps out the most.
    Hong Kong - conquered (they were blocking the way of Russia, I would have preferred to be friends with them.)
    Kandy - I am plotting their destruction to seize their wine supply.
    Amsterdam - Currently the suzerain for them; I like the extra early gold supply to fund war efforts.
    India - peaceful
    Rome - Looks like they might be ready to declare war on me.
    Russia - No, but they are about to be wiped out.
    Egypt - No, took two of their cities.
    Very mild so far, I've had a few to the South, but they haven't been a huge concern this game.
    - Any surprises?
    Lots of differentiated luxury resources! It's really helping with my rapid expansion and war mongering.

Attached Files:

15. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

China turn 107. I am playing this game using the new (Spring 2017) patch. Very interesting challenge to date. I settled in place and built 3 x slinger, builder, settler. The early settler was to bag the mine / luxury rich spot to E in compensation for the relatively poor starting spot. I made no attempt to found a religion, building an encampment as my first district. I had a sharp early encounter with barbs then the AI tested its mettle. First Russia attacked from S (alongside their 2 allied CS), then Egypt from E then Rome from N. I had beelined archery and fended initial attacks off with archers, having lost my starting warrior to CS units in the Russian surprise attack. I built up a force of heavy chariots and swords after settling 2 additional cities to W in very nice spots with rivers, hills and resources including iron. I crushed all invaders but didn’t pursue them and achieved 3 nice peace deals allowing me to purchase more tiles and upgrade my chariots to knights. I settled a fifth city to N on the coast and look forward to building a 3-resource “new-style” harbour district there. By turn 100 I was in a strong position to expand by force and DoW Russia, taking their 2 forward-settled cities very easily. I now have 7 cities but need to take the industrial CS to E before attacking the Russian heartlands:- it is well-defended but I now have crossbows to support the knights. I have 2 campuses online and am working on CD and IZ in core cities. I am friends with India and Rome (although it will be difficult to maintain the former as I continue to conquer cities) and hope even to establish an alliance at some point, both for the boost and the chance to try out research agreements. I have not used the Chinese attributes much, except for the extra builder charge. The “boost to boosts” is working somewhat beneath my radar at present. There was little opportunity to build wonders during the early wars and Pyramids (which I wanted) is now gone although TA, Colossus and Colosseum are still possibilities. I will try out the Crouching Tiger soon, but am not convinced it will be a strong attacking unit. Japan appears to be the strongest opponent at present, with India and Rome further behind. The others have strong science and / or culture but weak military:- Sumeria has captured the capital of an AI I am yet to meet but seems to have sacrificed their army to get it.

16. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

SIT
    Mining-AH-Archery-BW-Apprenticeship-Machinery-Stirrups
    Scout-settler-slingerx4-settlers-commercial hub-units-campus
    Yeah Cleopatra DoWed me around the turn 25 i defended with slingers for some turns. Later i DoWed Kandy. Then Cleopatra again. I DoWed another cs while warring Cleo
    Commercial hub first of course. What else? Science can wait a bit
    Nope
    Built 5(cap included), captured rome's settler very soon in the game. Captured some for 9 cities atm and will probably jump to 13-15 later
    The idea is to make builds from cities all the same type from each card im using. Builder card? Cities build builders. Units card? units.
    I ''cultivated'' a science and gold one
    Everyone excepted Cleo. Rome is happy(even if i previously stole a worker), Sumeria is neutral and the others are mad
    You mean ''where? Didn't find much really. I wanted to get a barb camp but i didn't see any.
    - Any surprises?
    Yes, a lot. First time i play a true singleplayer game! But i'm playing the mp ''style'' because i only know that way. AIs still suck. I'm at par in score and army with top leaders so i guess that i'm not that bad. Later i will be very confused because i actually never finished a whole game yet and never focused for a science victory :lol:

Mass building campuses as you can see. With exploration i will have more slots to add science bonuses. I will kill Cleopatra and the 2 cs then i will kill Russia and work all these cities until sci. victory.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  17. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Wow nice game hongyu20! I guess that you exploited the AI a lot more than me! I'm better at exploiting humans! :lol:

18. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

19. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

''Locked Campuses and Commercial hubs as soon as they were available and the population allowed it'' -hongyu20

Completely forgot about it. I'm gonna read GOTM some stuff i think. You can't really do that in mp games unless you are very isolated or with weak opponents. Lack of gold and time to think, war stuff make this part difficult to include in your strat.

20. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

Yeah , multiplayer games are comepletely different than single player games