1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 13 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Apr 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM13 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use diplomacy? How?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. w(oO)t

w(oO)t Chieftain

Turn 372 Cultural Victory - Probably could have down it a lot faster if I realised I could take cities with melee units

Settled 6, all on the home starting land, 4 on the north, 2 to the south.
    Captured 7: Jerusalem, 3 from Pedro and 2 from Gorgo, including Sparta... it took a while, but I used my 4 range battleships and an observer balloon to snipe it down.
    Oh, and one from India, was gonna go harder on Ghandi, but then noticed Gorgo's culture was getting out of control
    Focused on science and harbours first. The harbour adjcency card was awesome because seaports were giving +10 cogs
    Noone, but took Gorgo's capital
    Started with a couple galleys, one of which was eventually lost. Progressed in to 3 frigates and an ironclad made by an admiral.
    Just traded extra luxuries and bartered for good peace deals, tried to stop gorgo from taking all the artifacts but she wouldn't listen, so she got DOWed.
    Most people hated me due to my 2 wars during the game.
    Kind of... but not really. There were no culture CS that I met

First game I've ever managed to plant a Conservation park
    Also, I had no idea you could take cities with melee naval units... my mind was blown... i was waiting for gunpowder tech for a unit to take cities after they were bombarded... attacked a city with the ironclad and whaddaya know, its mine!
    Was a fun map,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. leif erikson

4. w(oO)t

w(oO)t Chieftain

;) and moral

5. Halfdan Helgrim

Halfdan Helgrim Chieftain

Turn 397 Cultural Victory - Score 795

I quickly settle 3 at home island and then wanted to settle on other Continent, but most of map was home continent (you did that on purpose?). Gorgo forward settled my island and surprise attacked and took my second city next to my capitol. After some time recovered my town and conquered the forward settled city. I founded 3 more cities. Took 4 of Gorgos cities, 1 from Teddy and 5 from Brazil.

Focused on trade and navy.

I did not destroy anyone, but took in all 10 cities.

I built archers for retake of my city (upgraded to crossbowmen). Then mostly built quadrims, upgraded to frigates and lastly battleships.

I stayed very friendly with Gandhi the whole game and very often we were allies. Everyone else hated me.

The mercantile city state just north really gave gold boost to trade routes, so was making a ton of cash.

Ignored religion. Was Diety, so did not expect to get one.

The forward settle and sneak attack by Gorgo. If I had built a wall in that city I think I could have defended it.

I have not played for a long time and wanted to test the two new patches and hoping AI would give a challenge. Even though I lost a city in the beginning, I was able to come back and win - just shows that AI is still clueless. They were not able to deal with a water map. They should have built strong navies. It was kind of fun building game, but with such a pathetic AI it will probably mean I have to wait 2 more patches before trying again.

Attached Files:

6. leif erikson

Wish I had the map editing tools to pull that off. I do not. :(

7. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

CV turn 377/378
    Final Score: 1060

26 Total... Razed some of them and sold a couple.

Education, Frigates, Enlightenment, Tourism and Nukes (Finished both Trees)

Gorgo First who only had 3 cities total on the island to our west and 1 of her settlers.
    Arabia Next but I brought them back to life because I thought they allied you for that but they hated me just as much as before and next time I won't let any AI back in the game!

My production was pretty ugly so I bought almost of my Navy and Army and upgraded them with the large amount of GPT I had all game long.

Not too much... some trade that was good before my first war and after that some bad trade. A few good peace deals through the game.

I should of just rolled some of the CS's but the Gold and Science CS's were nice to ally all game long.

I never got one but I used some of Brazils to buy Amps and Towers.

Not much...game was pretty straight forward. Build a Campus, Build a Commercial, Build a Harbor... Buy anything you want and kill your neighbors. Focus on Tourism in very late turns as you Build as many Wonders as you can.

I am upset about the current state of Deity but it was an easy Sim City game. I will most likely stick to Multiplayer and forget Single Player. I don't think they will fix it if it hasn't been fixed by now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. leif erikson

From the Announcement thread:
    Please upload your final save file to your post. Thanks.

9. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

I think it is all posted now...if any problems let me know!

10. Photi

Photi Governor

Culture victory on turn 388/1967 AD with a score of 688

-How many cities did you settle or capture?

Settled a total of 14 cities, captured none.

For most of the game i was chasing eurekas, i think i need to get out of the habit and go more directly toward the civics and techs that will help the VC. Specifically for the culture victory, a straighter line to natural history (archaeologists) and steel (eiffel tower), as well as the civics for the tourism cards and the tech for seaside resorts.

I conquered no one, but it looked like Gorgo was going to either win a science or culture victory, so i declared a holy war against her using her own denouncement for the CB. I proceeded to send my Sea Dogs all up and down her coast where most of her spaceports were located. She never recovered, so a successful pillage war. That was actually the only war i was in the whole game.

I built the Venetian Arsenal along the way, so my navy was English-respectable. All those water units were able to keep Gorgo from invading me after i DOWed, which was invaluable, as her land units were more advanced.

Yes, i cultivated alliances throughout the game, by the end i had 6 alliances out of the 7 possible. Pedro was the outlier (i had more great people than him). Philip, Gandhi, Teddy, Catherine and Saladin were my allies for much of the game. Gorgo kept goading and denouncing me until i finally declared on her and after a 40-or-so-turn war and wrecking her empire, we made peace and we quickly became friends and allies. With the alliances i was able to get favorable luxury trades and many research agreements which helped because since land was such a rarity, i built only a couple campuses and no entertainment districts. Also the open borders made it easy to excavate artifacts on the AI land without making them mad. This was extremely valuable as i ended up with like six fully themed archeological museums which contributed to the bulk of my tourism points.

Yes, i was usually suzerain of Hong Kong, Buenos Aires and Hattusa and maybe Jakarta, helped with city projects, money and science.

I did get a religion, mainly for the Jesuit Education faith buying of Campus and Theater buildings, and i did faith buy many of those, but i feel like it maybe was a waste of time, or that maybe i should have built more than two holy sites to leverage it better. Meeting houses was another one of the beliefs i got, and most of my cities were sorely lacking production, but with no Holy Sites, not many meeting houses. God of the Sea pantheon (+1 production to fishing boats) helped me out big time throughout the game.

I was looking forward the the free melee units from Vicky, but half the islands on the globe were the same continent, so not many of those. later in the game i finally did settle some cities not on the continent, so that was cool. Really like the well placed Royal Navy Dockyard.

The artifacts were disappearing quickly, but finally got to natural history and started buying archaeologists as quickly as my economy would allow.

I built like 6 wonders, including the Cristo Redentor and the Eiffel tower. I like the policy slot wonders but decided against them (probably because of land issues), but the surprise was that i did finally build the Forbidden City, which London completed the turn before i won. Al Hambra was completed a turn or two earlier by another civ. I got quite a few great people along the way, all of them were gone by the time the game ended.

Yes, it was an enjoyable game, Island Plates and Victoria are different than what i have been playing. I could've shortened it up by going after Gorgo earlier on like she asked, and i could have settled several more cities to get the seaside resorts for a quicker victory. Also next time i need a more ordered path through the techs and civics.

Spoiler :
    20170418222651_1.jpg 20170418222546_1.jpg 20170418231855_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  11. kittenOFchaos

kittenOFchaos Chieftain

Won at the end of turn 386 with 16 cities (1 conquered, 4 by treaty), although it was a very close call. As I was a declared friend of Gorgo, I couldn't do much to stop her space program and so things were tense in the end game.

Some brief comments...

Went with God of the Sea. Tried for a prophet and missed it by a few turns. Bought Charles Darwin with amassed faith and he brought me 2000 science which was amazing. Spain was really annoying and built a stupid city next to London. I accidentally took the wrong city when he sued for peace - which explains my crappy city in the ice. AI doesn't build enough ships. I am far from playing optimally, but I do enjoy having tonnes of battleships.

Saves uploaded (turn before and after final victory).

Attached Files:

12. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Cultural victory at turn 382 (or 381? I don't know in which turn I actually won)

At the end I had 19 cities, 6 from Greece, one American capital, one Brazilian town that I was going to give back and the rest I settled myself.
    I focused on the naval technologies at first, and for policies I tried to emphasize culture.
    Gorgo. I intended to have a short war, take a few of her cities and then have a lucrative peace deal as usual. But it turned out she has this trait that prevents her from giving away anything at a peace deal. So the war took longer than expected, I had to upgrade frigates to battleships to win.
    I assumed a reasonable amount of frigates could dominate the seas. So I used those and their upgraded versions. I did lose a few frigates to city defenses though. I had two sea dogs but somehow they did not manage to capture any ships. I will have to read up on that.

I tried to be friendly, but I got branded as a warmonger over and over again. Did try to buy open border treaties because I read it helps tourism.
    Yes, Amsterdam brought in lots of money, and later I managed to win the science and production city states.
    I ignored religion but did have the pantheon that gives extra production to fishing boats.
    Gorgo's reluctance to give anything away at a peace deal was a surprise. I dealt with it by conquering Greece completely. Finding out that it is possible to make national parks was a surprise. I managed to make two. Winning the game is also a surprise. It really should not be that easy to win on the highest difficulty setting. Finding out that archaeological artifacts look very similar was an unpleasant surprise that I have not been able to deal with yet.

Yes I did! Thank you GOTM team! :clap:

Attached Files:

13. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Cultural Victory on Turn 322 with a score of 949

How many cities did you settle or capture?
    I captured 15 cities and settled 10 - some were city states.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Beelined almost straight to Radio after getting Frigates and on the policy side went immediately for Cultural Heritage for the double tourism boost for artifacts.

Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
    Gorgo - I wanted to keep her around but she didn't get the message when I declared war the first time. She only had the capital but it was enough to catapult her back into the culture lead. I captured most of Spain's cities too but left Phillip with one city cause he's a cool guy. Actually I took cities from everyone except France so it was really half domination.

What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?

I had a massive navy and I think I got close to 10 great admirals. The AI couldn't do anything - it was like taking candy from a baby. I also used a decent number of Redcoats and got some freebies from new cities.

Did you use diplomacy? How?
    Haha - no. I never managed to get open borders with anyone but I was capturing a lot of coastal cities.

Were City-States helpful?
    Yes but I killed some of the non-useful ones who got in my way.

Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
    Nope - I was a heathen.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Yeah - I was surprised at how pitiful the AI is on water maps. It was a fun game but it felt more like King difficulty - I definitely struggle much more on Deity with an ancient start on pangea or a large continent. I think I may have actually had 0 combat losses in this one because I didn't see any line for England on the chart post victory.

Did you enjoy the game?
    Yes - first game completion with England - they are awesome on Island maps and I really like that museum bonus. Those dockyards are pretty nice too and I didn't even need to build any commercial districts which was a first. I thought I would finish a little earlier - I bought all my archaeologists but it took awhile to get my tourism up and the AI did seem to culture up quickly. I was having a lot issues with amenities.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. Bachelor Panda

Bachelor Panda Chieftain Supporter

Cultural Victory Turn 329/330 with a score of 1,027

I am pretty happy with my 1st GOM, my 1st time using England, 1st time playing on island and my first cultural victory :)

Settled 11 cities and captured 15. During the game I traded 2 cities in return for open borders so final city count of 24.

-What did you prioritize for research and policies?

1st priorities were to fill up my island, get a crossbow army with heavy chariot support, get factories up (production poor island) and get frigates. I started London on an incense tile so my pantheon came quick and I picked "Open Sky" for the culture.

-Who did you send to the dustbin of history?

Gorgo was my 1st target (she declared war on me). After taking her 2 main island coastal cities I tried to have peace but, in hindsight, I am glad she would not cede me any cities. I had a land army in addition to my frigates and was able to get Sparta and her last 2 coastal cities on the American landmass fairly quickly. Sparta was an early cultural powerhouse with Chichen Itza and 5 jungle hexes.

Next I just kept rolling into America. I was able to stick to my plan and take 2 cities and then get them ceded to me in a peace deal. Again my land army was crucial in that I was able to head north away from the coast and take Washington as the 2nd city which had a nice mtn surrounded campus with library and university already up. Big help to my early science.

There were a couple of skirmishs with India and Spain but the last war I fought was with Arabia. They were leading in domestic tourism and, in 2 wars, I took them completely out of the game.

-What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?

I built up a crossbow army with heavy chariots, frigates and initially one catapult. I was able to get the great general for medieval/ren. Slowly added to my army as it was promoted and upgraded (only losses being 2 quads early and the spearman fell to a greek musketman...see opening action report for more on that) and ended with a force of: Modern Armor- 2 armies; Missile Cruisers- 1 armada, 1 fleet; Modern Infantry- 1 army, 1 corp; Howitzers- 1 army; Field Cannons- 2 armies all with multiple promotions and with an admiral and a general in support.

Looking back I probably slowed myself down a bit with the military upgrades. It was overkill. I didn't need tanks at the end and could have cut my time down significantly by getting the "Radio" tech earlier.

-Did you use diplomacy? How?

I tried to gain open boarders by trading cities. I was successful with America and once with India but towards the end there was nothing I could give them. I don't think it helped me much...the open boarders happened too early to help my tourism.

-Were City-States helpful?

Yes. I kept Suz of both economic City-States I met and Geneva for most of the game. Towards the end I was Suz of 6.

-Did you use religion? How and were you successful?

No.

-Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

I was a little surprised at how powerful caravels were against my quads (I haven't played with navy much). Luckily the barbs were fairly docile and I had 3 quads against the barb caravel and was able to take him out (with some x-bow support from the shore). I did lose 2 quads to a Greek caravel one that was injured by the barb. I hammered out another and then bought another quad outright and was able to have my 4 to upgrade to frigates.

The other, well not surprise but learning curve, came with seaside resorts. It took me a while to figure out the good sites and how to improve their appeal in able to place the resort. I'm sure I could have reduced my time over 10 turns now that I know the mechanics of them. I.E. I would have had my last few cities out earlier headed to the coastal sites I used just for more resorts. I can see why people like the Eiffel Tower now :)

-Did you enjoy the game?

Very much. Thank you. It took me out of my comfort zone and I had to learn more about the game. (P.S. I hope I used the "Spoiler" tags correctly...will know in a second)

Attached Files:

15. peurojoque

peurojoque Chieftain

Turn 358 Cultural Victory, score 574

I had just played my first game as England right before this GOTM to get the achievements, I was well on my way to CV when I decided to get the Island Hopping too and went Domination. It's a drag on a huge map and my tourism was already unstoppable, so I had to nuke St. Petersburg on the last turn to avoid cultural victory and this made me very, very sad. I was rather glad to see an England GOTM and decided to try to be absolutely peaceful.

Settled 11 cities, 7 on starting landmass, 2 more next to Arabia in the silver desert, 1 on the three-tile coal island, and one more to get oil. Didn't need that last one.
    Captured none.

Beelined Square Rigging first for a stronger navy, then Steel for Eiffel Tower, Radio and Computers, in the Civics tree went after Natural History and Social Media.

No one. Pedro declared on me a couple of times, teaming up with Philip first, and then with Saladin, but I just used those wars for target practice and some pillaging. Teddy and Gandhi were so happy! :)
    I expected Gorgo to come after me through the whole game, but she only did spear shaking act and that's it.

A few archers and then crossbowmen to get inspirations for Mercenaries and Nationalism, a spearman to deal with the barbarian horsemen at the beginning, a few galleys and quads, then some sea dogs. Kept upgrading the navy and didn't bother with the land units.

Wasn't trying too hard, sent delegations and embassies as soon as I can, but being peaceful was quite enough to befriend Gandhi and Teddy. Saladin joined soon after seeing the error of his ways. Pedro and Gorgo hated me, Philip kept swaying, but was friendly in the end, Catherine didn't like me for the sake of historical accuracy.

Not in particular. In my last game I had Nan Madol and Lisbon - those work really well with England on Island Plates. Add Auckland to that and there will be no challenge at all. Geneva was rather useful, because the wars didn't last too long, got early envoys to Hattusa which helped with the science at first. Other than that some extra production from Buenos Aires, but no need for amenities.

No religion. Built one +5 Holy Site to have enough faith for Naturalists. I was surprised that even by the end of the game there were only two religions founded. Guess, the rest were too busy to move their prophets.

Same as everyone, probably, I was expecting to get a few units from settling on other continents, but they were too far away. Oh, well, didn't really need an army anyway. Managed to build a few wonders without much competition, only missed Potala Palace (by one turn!). Even Cristo Redentor was easy.

And no Mary Leakey :(

Yes, a lot! Cultural Victory is the one I do most often, so another chance to practice. Also, a peaceful game was a very nice change from my previous one. Definitely very amusing :)

England's CC-RND-CH triangles provide some crazy adjacency bonuses, at one point I had about thirty thousand gold in the treasury and nothing to spend it on, when I realised that I could buy some GWAMs. Had I done it sooner, I could have had a victory a dozen turns earlier I think.

Thanks for the game.

Attached Files:

16. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Cultural Victory - Turn 401

Yes, very much. Thanks a lot for the game :thumbsup:!

Attached Files:

17. whacker

whacker Chieftain

CV turn 296/297

I always wanted to give England a try, especially after the traderoute changes. My plan was to do some frigatte conquest and after stabilizing my empire get as many traderoutes/artifacts as possible, find a good spot for the Great Zimbabwe and then finish with a Big Ben timing into Mary Leaky and the two 25% bonus tourism from traderoutes GM. This also felt like a fitting "England" aproach to the game.
    In the end this worked out quite nicely, Buenos Aires had ~10 bonus resources, making it an ideal spot for Zimbabwe. Afterwards i could afford to buy all the TD buildings as well as the archeologists, while still banking enough gold for Big Ben. I also built the Teracotta Army, because i wasn`t expecting the AI`s to give me open borders.
    I made a mistake by not finishing traderoutes to most of the AI´s, so the boni did not kick in in time. Also i wondered wether Mary Leaky works like a open borders/traderoute multiplier. My global Tourism/turn did not go up after i used her.

I initially settled 7 cities on my main island. Spain forward settled me for a total of 8 after i captured it. I conquered Gorgo`s island, some parts north of it, most of America and the island with Jerewan and Buenos Aires. Afterwards i filled in some cities between those. By the end of the game i had a total of 24 cities.

Computers/Archeology.

Gorgo

I built 2 early galleys to scout around, followed up by 8 quadriremes->frigattes. My land army consisted of 3 archers/crossbows, 4 chariots->knights and 2 katapults->bombards.

No, after i declared war on spain early on to get his forward city everyone hated me until the end and i got DOW'ed frequently by everybody.

Not especially, though the envoy boni were great as always.

No, but i got the +1 production from boats pantheon.

A surprisingly low amount of amenities, although i conquered half of the map. I dealt with it by restricting most cities to 10 pop, building an early Colloseum on my starting siland and having an unhappy empire everywhere else. :D

Yes, thanks for providing it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  18. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

English Defeat - T462 2030AD Score 754, comfortable lead on score.

Settle 28, captured 2 city states, lost one back to Saladin
    Money, money, money - bought more than I built, especially builders and settlers
    Victoria
    poor on both as behind in science, really bothered that a battleship couldn't kill an embarked spearman, and two battleships lost in one turn each to single defensive shot from a city
    No
    not really, rarely had control
    no, used faith to buy 3 naturalist and set up parks
    Deity is way too difficult, I was lucky to stay alive
    Absolutely, excellent game. About T400-410 I realised that I had no chance of winning by any means, so set about settling every free spot to boost my score, building and buying settlers, I went from last but one to a clear lead, doubling my score in the process. I was even beginning to dream, that Pedro, Saladin, and Gandhi would all forget to build that last component and I could make to t500, or even a late culture victory.

Attached Files:

19. Jonatan Andrés

Jonatan Andrés Chieftain

I win this game whit a cultural victory in 1950, easy.

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month.

Moved your post to the After Action thread. Once you open the save, please do not post in the Announcement thread because of potential spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  20. Zinad

Zinad Chieftain

Cultural Victory Turn 356 - 499 points (IRC)

My very first win on deity in Civ 6.

How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 8, 5 on the starting land, 3 on the surrounding islands.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Research: Radio + Computers
    Policies: Natural History + Cultural Heritage + Social Media

Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
    No one. I didn't go to war at all and was never attacked.

What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    Built some archers, galleys and quadrims for minimum defence and upgraded them. Later some musketeers.

Did you use diplomacy? How?
    I was friend with Teddy, Gorgo, Catherine, Saladdin and Ghandi.

Were City-States helpful?
    Yes. Amsterdam was great for trade routes.

Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
    No, I built a single Holy District to get a Naturalist for a National Park

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    I observed that the gold amount to buy an archeologist varied. I also felt that each had another number of charges (3 to 6).

Did you enjoy the game?
    Yes. I liked the isolated start. I could really 'empty' the map with the archeologists.

Attached Files: