1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 14 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, May 3, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM14 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use diplomacy? How?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. whacker

whacker Warlord

T147 RV

This was more a domination game than a religious one :)
    I discovered Kongo early on and as he can not found a religion and was fairly close by, i decided to keep him alive, convert him and destroy everyone else. I didn´t focus on religion at all and got the 5. with the HS from Spain and Egypt. Later i added HS in every city, put 6 envois to La Venta and built shrines/temples to fuel my apostle/inquisitor army. I built the Colloseum and the Pyramids because i just love those two.

I settled 5 myself and conquered every capital but Kongo's. I also captured Carthage and kept the AI`s cities that already had HS. The others were burnt at the stake.

At the beginning i focused on military stuff and sailing, later on i just followed heurekas.

All but Kongo.

3 warriors->swordsmen, 6 archers->crossbows, 2 catapults->bombards, 6 chariots->knights, 2 Quadriremes->frigates. I got the first general by using the wildcard policy card. The frigates were used for japan, he did not leave his island. The knights sailed over the ocean from spain and conquered the Aztec empire (that seemed familiar). The rest of my forces conquered everything else.

I was not the most popular pope of history so after some early trading diplomacy was done.

For envois. I was glad to find a religious CS near the end as my faith production was lacking at that time.

Obviously. Boat pantheon, +1 Amenity and 30% cheaper apostles/missionaries.

No surprises this time.

As always, thanks you guys for providing it!

Attached Files:

3. Falabello

Falabello Prince

Religious Victory - Turn 175

It was a mix of Domi and Religious game. Conquer the Religion AI's and spread mine to others.

Yes: 2 surprises.

The first was that I expected the United States in North America and Brazil in South America. So, I was surprised by the completely empty South America :eek:...

The second: (Beginner stuff - I always surprise myself by doing this kind of thing, but it's part of learning :mischief:...) After conquering Gandhi's almost cities - lefting one - I purchased 4 Missionaries in two conquered cities and send them to spread. So, I spread one time and see no changing... Just to realized that those belonged to Gandhi's Religion and not mine :wallbash:!!! I think that it cost me about 10 turns :hammer2:... In fact, I deleted the lefting 3 Missionaries without knowing what was best to do :think:?

Yes! It was my first one with the real planet Earth! Very cool :rockon:!

After winning at Turn 175,did not appear all the civilizations in the screen of Religion. So, I put the 2 Turns!

Attached Files:

4. Selezin

Selezin Chieftain

Tun 154, Score 147.

I didn't war practically, from start pressure religion. I Have two Wonders (Stonehedge and Mahabodhi Temple) and I spread religion to the nearest cities automatically, to distant by missionaries and apostles.

I settled 5 myself but lost Sparta in the war at end the game, and conquered Ra-Kedet on the last turn.

I focused on builder and sailing in Technology, religious in Civics.

None.

Oh yech. I have all nations in friends before 130 turn, later I declared war on Egypt. I provoked war between Sumer and Egypt at beginning of game and received money from Trade of wine and Right of way.

Very small. I have 1-2 diplomat in each city.

Fishing Boat pantheon to quickly build temples, +1 Amenity with 2 districts and 30% cheaper for apostles/missionaries. I have full Holy site in 2 city and buy missionaries and aposties regularly.

Lack of religious City-States, I use them actively for religious victory usually.

Too easy and fast. And Earth-map determined "direction of the force".

My save file is too big, so I wrote it in the archive

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. Chips

Chips Chieftain

Turn 218, 1540 AD, Religious Victory (Victory video played on turn 218, had to run one more turn to get final victory conditions screen)

My plan going in was to try to get the first religion and generally try to go for a peaceful game.

I settled 5 and captured Madrid early on with swordsman, archers, and a battering ram. That exterminated the Spanish. I wanted peace, but I figured Spain would be religiously strong so it was best to eliminate them early.

Got Astrology first to allow me to get my first Holy Site and Shrine up very early. I also got Mysticism very early to use the Great Profit Points card to secure the first religion.

Spain (see above). Egypt declared war on me very early and would not agree to a peace treaty. We were at war for a long time but no cities changed hands as I was trying to avoid conflict.

I was friends with Gilgamesh for the entire game. After Egypt finally signed a peace treaty with me, she quickly became my friend and stayed that way through the game. I discovered Mvemba very late but quickly spread my religion to him. We were never friends, but he was quite happy with me. All these friends allowed me to get some great deals for my extra wine, iron, and niter.

Yes. I became suz with Hattusa very early and was able to sustain that for the full game. They provided a nice buffer between me and Egypt during the long period when we were at war. They had a lot of units which stopped the Egyptians from swinging around towards Athens. I didn't really bother much with the other city states.

Due to my quick Holy Site, I was able to have full selection of beliefs. I chose God of the Sea for my Pantheon. My first two religious beliefs were Religious Community for extra housing (came in handy for Athens where it was difficult to get an aqueduct) and Holy Order to allow me to get less expensive religious units. I later added Mosque for the +1 spread and Pilgrimage for extra faith.

I was ultimately successful, but my poor knowledge of religious units caused me some big issues. I thought Inquisitors could remove religion from any city. I found out they only work on your own cities after building many of them and moving them half way around the globe. That wasted a lot of time and faith which contributed to my poor finish. I also had some trouble with Montezuma who mounted a relatively effective religious counter offensive and killed several of my Apostles in religious combat. I think I will need to practice religious victory a few more times :)

Also, Montezuma settled a city in Alaska... I found that kind of funny.

Yes. This was my first time playing a real earth map. Pretty fun. Although I struggled a bit due to my lack of how the religious units function, I learned a lot and had a good time. Thanks to those who organize this!

Attached Files:

6. curtb12345

curtb12345 Chieftain

T134

Goal was to kill as many others as possible before converting the rest.

I focused on getting a couple archers, hoplites and swordsman first. The getting temples. Then sailing through cartography.
    All but Kongo and Aztecs.
    Warriors to swordsmen, a couple archers and hoplites. A couple galleys to caravels.
    Nope
    Not as much as normal.
    Lots of Holy Sites and then mainly missionaries. Built the wonder that gives you to apostles. Built a couple more for good upgrades.
    My ignorance of religious victory. I thought I had to convert everything so I was prepping to many missionaries.
    Yep

Attached Files:

7. matrixcpa

matrixcpa Chieftain

Turn 333

Initially, 3 founded. Very late in the game I settled a 4th on the other continent to support my religious units.​

Shipbuilding and Printing for research and Scripture, Religious Orders, and Simultaneum for policies.​

Nobody.​

I build only a few slingers and warriors to deal with initial barbarians. After that I kept upgrading units but had a small army.​

I was very active trading with Gilgamesh and kept him as an ally the entire game. Mvemba was an ally most of the game. Cleopatra oscillated between friend and foe. She declared war on my once (my only war) and offered peace after I eliminated all her units. She was stuck trying to attack by sea and suffered for it. Phillip was mad at me the entire game but never declared war. Gandhi and Hojo were neutral and Montezuma was always angry--as usual. Ike! Ike!​

Because I was stuck with little territory most of the game, being suzerain of Hattusa was a great help for the strategic resources.​

I went straight religion and after some initial seeding by missionaries, I focused solely on apostles. I missed getting Stonehenge but built Hagia Sophia. I would intercept other missionaries with my apostles and effectively spread my religion via religious combat alone.​

Spoiler :
    The Aztecs were a huge pain being on the other continent. They also had holy ground which made fighting them, even with the bonus from Theocracy painful. I had to settle a new city on that continent to provide a way to heal my apostles. That's partly why the game took as long as it did. Near the end, the Aztecs popped out a huge number of inquisitors which took a while to defeat but it was enough to flip the cities.

I had a good time. I love the game as it is and I'm very familiar with religious combat and the victory conditions.​

Attached Files:

8. Noeffinidea

Noeffinidea Chieftain

Turn 177 314points.

All I can say is yawn.

Captured all but 2 civ's ( Aztecs and Japan) razed all but capitals,settled a few near luxuries. At the end I settled 3 to give to japan to force victory. Seems to glitch if you win by gifting cities. Got stuck of the diplomacy screen and would not show victory screen. did tit the old way gifted 1 then converted the last
    I conquered the world with 3 archers and 4 hoplites
    No priorities just double faith bonus
    - Who did you send to the dustbin of history? Spain turn 15, Sumeria turn 67, Egypt turn 100, Kongo turn 140, India 160
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I conquered the world with 3 slingers and 4 hoplites
    only upgraded to pikemen and crossbows. Built a few others but were not used for offence, 1 gally upgraded to caravel to find aztecs. lost 1 unit total
    - Did you use diplomacy? How? I was at war with everyone most of the time
    - Were City-States helpful? just to act as buffer to protect flanks while at war
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? no suprises
    - Did you enjoy the game? to easy need harder

Attached Files:

9. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

Turn 146 RV

Made some dumb mistakes with Aztec and taking too long to get my +faith going. Didn't get my apostles and missionaries out till way late in the game.

Only settled 3. Captured Hattusa as soon as I made swordsman and Uruk soon after that. Then Madrid. Then on to India. Unfortunately Kongo took Zanzibar so I had to swing around and liberate and while I was down there I took an Egyptian city.

Sailing->Animal Husbandry->Bronze Working->Iron Working. Then the usual stuff then Shipbuilding then Stirrups. For government went Oligarchy then Monarchy then Theocracy.

All but Kongo, Egypt and Sumeria

2 warriors -> swordsman who are very OP at King level before knights Especially with Oligarchy. Took Hattusa with two swordsman and 4 archers but lost two archers to stupidity. Same swordsman and two archers took Uruk. After that I built a ton of war chariots and upgraded to knights and took out Spain and India. After Cartography I sailed my knights all over and found Monty who took a lot longer than I expected even with rams since he had knight garrisons with walls.

No, pretty much everybody hated my guts after taking Hattusa and Uruk.

Zanzibar! Love the +gold and bonus amenities

Zen Meditation and Holy Order. Just took too long to build a temple and get any +faith rolling. Too much time spent killing stuff :)

Aztecs were biggest surprise with stronger cities than I was expecting. Japan was pathetic and easily conquered with two Frigates and 1 Caravel.

Very much! Nice combination of dom and religion.. ok mostly dom :) I might try it again going peaceful and see how that works.

Attached Files:

10. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

Turn 201 RV

My first attempt at a Religious victory. Never tried it before because it seemed dull in theory. In practice...yeah, totally dull. But I really liked the Earth map, though.

Settled 5, captured 9, so 14 in total. Razed everything else.

Sailing (to farm all that fish), Archery and Bronze Working (for early military), then just followed eurekas. Changed policies rather often depending on the current needs.

All but Kongo, Egypt and Sumeria

3 slingers (then upgraded to archers) + 2 warriors took Madrid. Then followed with another 3-4 hoplites, 2 galleys and 1 quadrireme to take Carthage. Then another 2 catapults for Egypt and so on. Ended with 2 bombards, 1 CB, 4 cannons, 1 horseman, 1 knight, 1 musketman, 1 pikeman, 2 caravels, 1 ironclad and 1 privateer.

Sold a few luxuries to Gilgamesh before he too started hating me.

Kabul's military helped my invasion of India.

Zen Meditation and Holy Order. Later on added World Church and Mosques for the lulz.

I attacked Monty on 2 fronts, but my first landing in eastern US/Canada got repelled thanks to a lot of help from Toronto.

Yeah. But I think I've had my share of religious VC for quite some time.

Attached Files:

11. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Turn 353, Score 843

My goal was to have as much religious war as possible: so no cities conquered and no Stonehenge.
    (and yeah... to score high, the "conquer your neighbours ASAP" is for sure more effective)

I settled fast 8 cities, covering Europe and another 16 for religious pressure and luxury resources.
    No cities captured. All CS survived.

I had Divine Spark (double GP points) and therefore no hurry with my Holy sites. So I had 3 Science sites up quickly and priority research did not matter much, I was anyway faster + the Great Scientists. I had Cartography fast for Recon.
    I did not build any Theatre sites and had very low civs until I became suzerain of Nan Madol.
    I had IND sites and Hubs up much faster than the AI and many GP. Was lucky with Adam Smith on the GP list. Had with Democracy 13 policy slots of the max 14.

Peace :)

Fast Quadriremes easily defending attacks from Spain and Egypt.
    In the end phase I bought a handful of battleships to protect my apostles in case Japan would start war during the conversion. But he preferred to be my ally.
    Army was the usual to get the Eureka's

I like the diplomacy of the game. Had most of the time everybody friendly, friends or later ally. Only Monty was stubborn. I could trade what I wanted, good money when it was needed early on.

Yes, but I was kind of unlucky with the quests, so did not gather as much envoys as usual. I keep my own Era progression always very much controlled (slow) to get many envoys. Only at the start I do not mind rushing through the Techs, because not that many CS known by Recon.

First Zen Meditation and Itinerant Preachers, then Mosque and Papal Primacy.

Monty got a Great Prophet but never used it....
    It made me hesitate to put much effort at first in NA, because by starting his religion he would wipe out all my efforts in every city with a holy site. So I started with converting Toronto and La Venta, settled 3 small cities in Canada just for religious pressure and when my Faith (per turn) was high enough I finally spended 3 Apostles.

In general: yes :)

But also a mixed bag.
    To get the high score it is: eliminate Spain with Swordsmen (+ recon west) and directly thereafter Egypt (acces to Africa -> Kongo) and Uruk (access to Asia + kill fast India).
    That is conquer the world with religious as technicality.

What I anyway miss is the continuous stream of new Great Persons for Religion, like all other kinds.
    Those added GP of religion are ofc not founders but they do give benefits for a religious victory

Attached Files:

12. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

T268 Score 364 RV

Settled 8, Captured none
    Astrology, any policy with a faith bonus
    A few barbs
    Slinger - Archer - Crossbow - Field Canon
    Warrior - Swordsman - Musketman - Infantry
    Defensive only - My army was all Apostles
    Diplomacy?
    Used Carthage for Anti-Egyptian muscle.
    Built Holy Site, Shrine , Temple , Gurdwara wherever possible. kept a debater on hand to kill off the Sumerian, and Indian missionaries that were trespassing.

Yes

Attached Files:

13. Halfdan Helgrim

Halfdan Helgrim Chieftain

T196 Score 237 Religious Victory

Settled 5, Captured 0.
    Theology.
    No one.
    2 Hopelites.
    I friended most with trade and trade routes.
    No.
    Forgot it was King, so focused too much on getting a religion in the beginning. Even though Spain and Sumeria got a religion I early converted them, so they were religious blocked. One Propelyzer (or how you spell it) and India was converted. Japan only had 3 cities so just converting the 2 on mainland was easy.

The obvious path would be a war game religious path, but would be just another boring Domination game, so wanted to check how a peaceful path would go and that was actually rather fun (wish the AI would have put up a fight with Apostles, but guess it because of King). A suggestion for such a game is that players are not allowed to conquor cities? I actually believe a peaceful win could be done much faster, if I had been more focused.

Attached Files:

14. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Turn 151 RV

At the end of the game I had 15 cities total, most from capturing

Mostly went for tech/policies that enhanced military and culture for the first half of the game as I played this game domination style and wanted to take advantage of the Greek suzerain bonus and cheap theater districts.
    Once I had a sizable amount of holy sites and religious buildings I swapped everything to maximize faith output.

In order: Hattusa, Spain, India, and Egypt. I left Gilgamesh with 1 city surrounded by desert tiles instead of razing it.

started off getting 2 warriors and about 8 archers. Most of my conquest I did very early with these classical units. I upgraded to swordsman pretty quick and eventually crossbows when I was at war with Egypt around turns 115-135.

Very much so. I wanted to see just how much bonus culture I could get with the +5% per suzerain state from the Greek bonus.
    The Kumasi, Kabul, Buenos Aires and Zanzibar suzerain bonuses are just plain awesome so I got those asap. I was pumping out ALOT of culture early on and the majority of my envoys came from completing certain civics.
    I had no idea Toronto and La Venta (the only faith SS) were relatively close by in North America till ~turn 130 otherwise I would also sent envoys to them, but nonetheless I had alot of fun building cheap theater squares almost playing this game as though culture victory was my secondary win condition. I added the follower belief Lay Ministry since I was already had quite a few theater squares (acropolis') for +1 culture per, and with the Raj Diplomancy bonus (+2,+2,+2,+2 per state you are suzerain) being suzerain of 8 SSs I managed to pump out +414 culture/turn at the end of the game.

Of course, never built stonehenge and went fishing boats pantheon, then Mosque, scripture and Lay ministry.

- Any surprises?
    I spent a while saving up faith and stacking up large missionary/apostle squads ready to spread my religion to the vast civilizations of North and South America that surely had 6-7+ cities each and would take a long time to convert. I even sent over a settler/builder/missionary/crossbow/horseman settlement team to get me started on this large task. Had a laugh when not long after this there were only -two- Aztec cities with no religion that converted only after I sent 2 missionaries, o well, next time I'll pay closer attention to the victory condition panels.

very much

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  15. Sgt_potato

Sgt_potato Chieftain

first try... i will not optimise that bcz we already know all the map. there is no special stuff to make a real puzzle. India was strong in religion but...anyways i think we can make better challenge than this one.

Moderator Action: Welcome to Game of the Month. Moved your post to the After Action thread as it references India and that is considered a spoiler for the Announcement thread. Once you open the save, please do not post in the Announcement thread. Also, I removed your attachment, only GotM Staff may post starting saves and challenges in the GotM forum. If you wish to post a challenge, please do so in the Strategy and Tactics part of the forum. Thanks. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  16. antimony

antimony Warlord

Turn 194, Score 254
    My basic strategy was to build 4-5 cities quickly + holy sites, then when I ran out of space in Europe go for the Americas, hoping to find Civs to convert there.

7 settled, 0 captured

Civics were mostly as expected, pol. phi. to theology to reformed church. For science, after commercial hubs, beelined cartography for ocean travel, then machinery for crossbows.

No one
    Only archery for city defense, then a few Theocracy knights when Montezuma declared on me

My strategy was to go on a peaceful game and keep strong alliances with a few neighbors (notably Gilgamesh) to reduce military spending. At the end I was allied with Sumeria, Kongo and Japan.

A bit late. I was saving most envoys to suzerain a religious CS, but didn't find La Venta until post T100. I also waited until around then to build Acropolis.

It went well overall, I could have finished about 15 turns earlier with better timing, took too long to send a pack of apostles to Japan. Religious opposition was pretty weak, I confined Spain to its peninsula, while Japan and India only settled 3 cities each for most of the game.

I started a joint war with Sumeria against Egypt hoping they weaken each other, but Egypt quickly conquered Uruk. Clearly underestimated the chariot archers vs. war carts.

I don't usually go for religion, so that was interesting.

Attached Files:

17. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Religious Victory turn 185 (when I got the victory screens, although the Religion window only showed 6/6 converted the following turn). 306 points / Mary Tudor.

My plan from turn 100 largely worked out. I conquered Egypt and brought E Orthodoxy to Kongo with ease. The expected (and anticipated) religious war with India never materialized:- my Apostles wandered freely without meeting any resistance as they converted India, then Japan, to the true faith. After finding Aztec on the New World, it was simply a matter of getting Apostles into place for the final flourish. My plans for Mosques and Hagia Sophia worked out, so I had highly efficient Apostles scouring the map.

Pericles Greece would be good for Cultural victory but, excepting the wildcard slot, is one of the weaker Civ6 leaders I have played so far on basis of this game. The Acropolis may be cheap, but takes up a valuable hill and the adjacency bonuses can be tricky to establish. The +5% culture per city state needs nearby CS to establish early envoys, which were few on this map. The Hoplite should be a mighty unit but, in my earlier play with Gorgo’s Greece, turned out to be a damp squib. I didn’t bother building any in this game. I like the True Earth map, which might be very challenging with a good mix of European AI leaders. On this setup, it was fairly simple to settle Europe and corner (then conquer) Spain in the early game.

Attached Files:

18. arenquinha

arenquinha Chieftain

Religious Victory turn 317

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 7 Captured 6
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Started with religious than just went off from there
    - Who did you send to the dustbin of history? Spain
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I went pretty quick for frigates and started warmongering from there
    - Did you use diplomacy? How? Not particularly
    - Were City-States helpful? Nope
    - Did you use religion? How and were you successful? I did use religion, was declared on a couple time which made me want to war and lost focus of the objective of getting a religious victory
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? None
    - Did you enjoy the game? Yes

Attached Files:

19. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Religious Victory on turn 196 which is 1350 AD.

I only destroyed the Spanish after they tried to destroy me. The Sumerian's lost their capital to me as I thought I could benefit from their ziggurat, but they disappeared when I took the city. I also took Dehli as their holy district was extremely well placed (next to Everest and the Himalayas) and contributed much faith. To be honest, I should have destroyed India and Sumeria if I was playing efficiently. That said, my invasion force was largely levied from city states and I was struggling to pay to levy more.

I should not have wasted so much faith on evangelizing my civilization. Had I used those apostles sooner, then the game would have finished far quicker.

A very well drawn Earth map and a good game. Would have been better on a higher difficulty level as victory was rather inevitable.

Attached Files:

20. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.