1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 14 Announcement

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, May 1, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Civilization VI - Game of the Month 14
    Welcome to the 14th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.
    Must Read!
    This is where you will start 6otm14.jpg
    Greece Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
    Pericles Special Ability: Surrounded by glory For every city state for which Greece is the suzerain, they get a 5% bonus to their culture.
    Unique Ability:Plato's Republic - Gets an extra wildcard slot no matter which government is chosen.
    Unique Unit:Hoplite - A unique unit that gets a bonus when other Hoplites are adjacent.
    Unique District: Acropolis - A unique district gets higher culture adjacency bonuses for being next to districts, especially the city center.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
    Spoiler :
    Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.
    Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.
    After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
    Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
    In development.

This game runs for a month and ends June 1, 2017.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I'll settle where the warrior is standing so the 2 fish are in the first ring and the horses are in the 2nd ring.

Tech order will be sailing then animal husbandry.

Build Order will be something like slinger, builder, slinger, monument, slinger, settler.

The save file should have been named 6otM14_PERICLES_Religion_Start

3. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

;)

Looks interesting though! Religious victory, hmm, I think Monthar has the right idea for settling where the warrior is, then placing a holy site next to the mountains to the north and... oh I hadn't noticed this was a true start map! So that's the end of the Mediterranean then, the plot thickens :D

Should be fun, thanks for posting.

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I think I'd settle in place. Early on the fish aren't that important, granting 2f1g, you're better off having a second 2f2p tile in the forest hill tile. If you want the faster growth, you can always decide to buy a tile to get the horses on either side (you also have two horses if you settle in place, another advantage). On top of that, if you settle in place, you can get a +5 adjacency bonus Harbor in the northeast (+6 if there's a fish under the tooltip), while if you settle on the warrior, the best you can get is +3 by removing one of the fish.

(I'm gonna put this second part in spoiler tags; talking quite a bit about strategy using what I know of real earth geography, if it's not supposed to go here, please just remove it. Ftr, I haven't opened the save yet and probably won't because I don't like religious victory)

Spoiler :
    As for Holy Sites, the first one indeed quite clearly next to the mountains, and I don't know True Earth that well, but I'd try if a second city in Turkey could reach the Caucasus, and if not I'd go for a holy site close to the first one.

Also (again, I don't know true earth well) is that peninsula to the left Italy, or is it a bit further? Either way, considering it's a Europe start, I'd probably try to conquer all European civs except Norway and England, as well as, if they spawned, Egypt, to get a nice Petra city. After that I'd just build a city for every European country (as far as possible); Holy Site from Spain next to the Pyrenees, Holy Site from France on the border of Pyrenees and Alpes, etc. Again depends on map size though, maybe you can fit multiple cities on there. After that it's just gonna be expanding where possible (prioritizing anything that can get nice adjacency bonuses for holy sites) and then standard religious victory stuff.

5. ZerrorR

ZerrorR Warlord

ALERT

it is a King difficulty...

6. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

The thing is though, if you settled on the warrior's spot, that forest hill to the east is then eligible as a settling spot too, so you could pick up the harbour with a big gold bonus there in your second city rather than the capital. That way you can delay building a harbour in the capital to focus on faith, put an acropolis between the holy site and the city centre and potentially even build something else for the third district as needs dictate, meanwhile your second city pumps out gold to support expansion.

I dunno, maybe you're right though Leyrann, I might have changed my mind by the time I start it later and do it your way :lol:

7. Photi

Photi Governor

so much food, so little housing. The fishing boats will help with housing, so will religious buildings. to get an aquaduct you couldn't settle until turn 3 at earliest. if i end up playing this, will be sending my scout east to find out if Mohenjo Daro exists. i'll probably settle in place. looks like Goddess of the Sea fishing boats pantheon again. 2-3 production tiles will be taken up by districts if maximizing adjacency bonuses.

Since it's Earth, is running a practice game on Earth a cheat?

8. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Cannot see why it would be a cheat.

Photi likes this.
  9. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

NO, its assumed that people will play test games.

10. Photi

Photi Governor

ok cool...i've done test games before for GOTM, it's just that with a TSL Earth map, the test game is a degree closer to the save file than under typical map circumstances since i'm assuming the geography is identical. i've not actually done a TSL map before, wasn't sure if resources are randomized or not though obviously the civs and city states are, so a test game is not the same game as the official GOTM i just didn't think it all the way through.

11. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Prince

Fired one up out of curiosity and it's identical BUT you'll want to switch off at least two geographically close leaders if you're doing a test game and want it to be like this GOTM.

12. Bluerog

Bluerog Chieftain

It's a good thing seeing the Earth Map before isn't "a cheat". I already know where a close natural wonder will be for the Astronomy eureka.

I'll settle in place. God of the Sea will make this great for the cap and I don't want to be crowded by mountains.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  13. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Ya'll forgot the discussion threads.

14. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Also it's standard speed and not quick.

15. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

Can we have the Opening and After Actions threads, please?

16. Eyswein

Eyswein Warlord GOTM Staff

Really cool place to start - so many choices. Looking at SIP, 1W, 1SW. All give 4 +2 productions squares in the 1st/2nd rings - with development. SIP is best spot for harbor and 2 +2 production squares in 1st ring, 1W or 1SW give horses (to sell) in second ring. 1W gives great HS in 2nd ring. 1SW gives +1 food, +1 amenity (capital bonus up to size 4), and +0.5 housing - all from the wine, so with one builder doing 2 fish and the horses, would already have +2 housing for 6 total housing in the capital early. My goal is to avoid 3rd ring purchases, but that option gives each of these other advantages (3rd ring purchase of 2 horses if SIP). I'm inclined to go 1SW based upon the bonuses since I have nothing to farm for Irrigation Eureka in capital, I grow quicker, and can get to 6 housing with my first builder. However, I think all 3 options work well.

At this level early HS probably not critical and with a free government slot, could get +2 great prophet points relatively early with no HS. If not building an early HS, potentially great early Pantheon bonuses from Craftsmanship, Forge, Open Sky, and Sea. If doing early HS others make more sense, but I don't plan to do that. Usually there is an easy best choice on most maps, but don't see that here with 4 potentially solid choices.

Also appears the city states and natural wonder locations are the same for Greece no mater what. Not definite, but I started 4 random games and just sent out scouts to see as much as the world as I could. Even with different AI every time, the city states and natural wonders I found were the same every time.

So much depends on what AI is present. Europe could be jam packed or empty. Think I'll start with a builder and see what my warrior finds near the start. If any of France/Germany/Poland present then I will go military first to take them out; ideally get a free settler and their capital (or multiple if more than one of them present). If main part of Europe is devoid, but Spain/England/Vikings/Russia present, then maybe settle 1 city and military next. If Europe blank, then expand with settlers first, then military focus.

Do I need cartography? I'll assume yes unless I meet everyone relatively early. After early expansion via military/settlers and ensuring I get a religion, then I'll focus on faith and military to finish off the rest.

17. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

It says that the game pace is quick, however, I'm pretty sure it's standard (it says so in-game).

18. ^MeSSiaH^

^MeSSiaH^ Chieftain

Hi guys,
    I love that you experiment with maps, pace, latestarts.
    Tho, dont do it with religious victory - its such a waste.
    Every religious game is basically domination that needs to be finished with like a single apostle. Boooooring. And u need to raze those cities - booooring...

AdamMorva likes this.
  19. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Why should conquered cities be razed?

20. whacker

whacker Warlord

Because when going for a RV, more cities make it harder to get the 50% religious spread if you keep every city you captured.