6otM 15 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM15 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Was your UU helpful?
- Did you use diplomacy? How?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Did you use religion? How and were you successful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Domination turn 175 score 610

- How many cities did you settle or captured
Settled 3 captured Kabul, 2 from china, 3 Germany, 3 Norway and liberated Preslav, 1 Roman, 2 Greek and 4 Sumerian

Military district, Economic districts, Military units

No one, why waste time when all you need is the capital?

tones of ranged and melee and elephants at first, them some heavy cav for the invasion of Norway, then upgraded a heap of renaissance navy for the invasion of England and beachhead of Sumeria, upgraded and bought lots of muskets and bombards to finish off the rest. got a musket army from Napoleon.

- Was your UU helpful?
yer a bit, didn't do as much work as I'd hoped. Probably because the map was quite spread out so they became ineffective to quickly.

If by taking all their money and amenities at every chance then yer I was a real diplomacy fiend.

yes cartage for the extra trade routes and troop/trader production and the 2 close Economic CSs for gold

no

how fast the AI had renaissance walls everywhere
And how I started falling behind on GG gpp's past the medieval general.

turned into a bit of a chore to finish the last 20 turns as the UI when you have a lot of units is awful, but it was fun up till then.

Attachments

• GANDHI 175 1140 AD GOTM15.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Domination victory, turn 248, score 953

Too lazy to count. Initially settled 3, I think, then some more with captured Settlers. Captured a lot.

Prioritized better military: Varus, Swordsmen, X-bows, etc. Didn't bother with the navy at first which was a mistake, made me lose quite a few turns waiting for Cartography. As for policies, focused on unit production at first, then generating gold.

China, Germany, Norway and Greece. They were in the way.

Started with Archers and Varus, a few Swordsmen and Knights - they took care of the starting landmass. Pre-built half a dozen Quads and attacked England and Sumeria with Frigates, Muskets and Cavalry. Finished off Greece and Rome with Battleships, Tanks and Infantry.

- Was your UU helpful?

It's rather slow for this kind of map, but it stays relevant for quite a while and helps keep Barbarians at bay (I didn't bother filling in the gaps, so I had plenty of camps spawning in the middle of my territory).

Not at all.

Didn't care much about city states, but managed to finished the game as a Suzerain of all that were left :)

No

No surprises, made a few mistakes and finished the game way too late. Rome was ahead in science so I had to wait until Modern era to conquer it.

It was ok, played too many domination games lately, was hoping for something different :)

Attachments

• GOTM15 I DOM GANDHI 248 1685 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 136
Turn 217, Score 674

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 4, took 2 from Germany, 4 from China, 3 from Norway, Preslav, Kabul, 3 from England, Rome, Uruk and finally Sparta (which was Roman by then).

Basically the military techs, only got Cartography during the Norway invasion.

No one. Though Rome finished Greece before I saw that continent.

Had a renaissance army (knights + musket + field cannon + bombard) when invading Norway, promoted everything to modern for the last continent. No tanks unfortunately as all the oil I could access was at sea, and was avail. too late. Bought two battleships at the end for London and Rome, no navy otherwise.

- Was your UU helpful?
Had four of them but they stuck throughout the game, still useful at medieval and ok as corps during Renaissance.

Interestingly I met no one from the other big continent until I was done with the conquest of the other civs. So I was able to ally with Trajan and Gilgamesh, help them defeat England, and have cities ready for their capitals' invasion.

Yeah. With Carthage, Amsterdam and Lisbon. The latter accounted for most of my net GPT after I pointed the trade routes there.

Not my own religion, but I banked enough faith to never have to build units with cogs after theology.

Didn't expect three continents on standard!

Enjoyed the planning at the end with the 30-turn countdown to get my techs, civics and units ready for the last 3 capitals. If Uruk and Rome were in the middle of their empires it would have been a grind.

Attachments

• GANDHI 217 1530 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 161
Domination Victory on Turn 268, score of 1,047

This one took awhile for me and I ran into some trouble on the starting continent. China declared a reconquest war while I was taking the German capital and they managed to capture a city of mine and pillaged most of the improvements so it was pretty useless for the rest of the game. Amsterdam was a huge pain and had tons of xbows and knights and kept making things difficult for me as Germany and China both kept using it against me. I almost lost my second city to their force but China offered peace just as it was about to go down. Norway also declared war in the middle of this after they captured Kabul and settled a few cities on my continent but I had enough troops nearby to take it and drive them back. After that I took the Chinese capital and entered a long period of infrastructure building as I was way behind in tech at this point. Rome wiped out Greece early and proceeded to capture some of England's main cities too and some city states. They probably had about 15 cities and their military strength was over 2000 - about double what I had. I have not seen an AI have that good of a start until now. In retrospect - I probably went overkill on encampments and should have built some more campus for an earlier victory, but I knew I was playing catch up regardless.

How many cities did you settle or capture? I captured 26 and settled 10. It took me awhile to find the capitals and I did not take a very efficient route for the final cities so I captured more than I needed to.

What did you prioritize for research and policies? I adopted theocracy in the mid game and stayed with it almost the entire game until switching to Fascism at the end. I faith rushed a lot of units. After that I didn't really target anything specific on the policy side. For research I took a detour for early economics to get Big Ben since Rome beat me to the Forbidden City. The extra gold helped with upgrades and buying some ships and support units. I mainly beelined to military techs but neglected navy for some time since I was fighting for so long on my original continent.

Who did you send to the dustbin of history? Only china. Rome took out Greece.

What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I built up a good early force of varu thanks to god of the forge and mixed in some knights, xbows, and swordsman to muskets to take cities on the original continent. Infantry + battering ram + Siege tower and artillery and a few cavalry to take the Sumerian and English capitals and then tanks to modern armor at the end. I had a small navy of about 5 battleships and some destroyers for support. I only managed to get 3 great generals and I burned the 1st one to get an early cavalry to help capture Xi'an.

Was your UU helpful? Yes - the pantheon really helped me get a strong military advantage early on.

Did you use diplomacy? How? No - it really wasn't possible with all the wars going on. This game was a slugfest. I did get some use out of India's double war weariness ability though. I had a long campaign against Rome and I saw lots of red units tromping around their cities which helped thin their forces. Rome had a ton of units but they were outdated.

Were City-States helpful? Carthage sure was - as usual. I had close to 30 trade routes and mainly used encampments and internal trade routes + triangular trade to boost my economy. I put most of my envoys there and it was well worth it.

Did you use religion? How and were you successful? No but the AI built a bunch of holy sites on my continent so I leveraged all the faith purchasing units via theocracy.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Yes the AI finally captured a city!!!! :clap:

Did you enjoy the game? I did! It was a long game but the AI has definitely improved at least before the modern era. Rome put up much less of a fight than I expected after completely dominating the first half of the game (they didn't use any of their air units either).

Attachments

• GANDHI 268 1785 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • 20170520123243_1.jpg
    20170520123243_1.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20170520133416_1.jpg
    20170520133416_1.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 223
  • 20170520204502_1.jpg
    20170520204502_1.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20170526202556_1.jpg
    20170526202556_1.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Win turn 295
video full
Spoiler :

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. Moved your post to the after action thread because once you open a save to play the game you are no longer allowed to post in the Announcement thread because of spoilers for other players. Also, we try to wait to post videos until the competition closes to prevent spoilers. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I do not know English :D

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 210
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 180
  • 1111.png
    1111.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • GILGAMESH #1.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
T153 DV, score of 701.

I settled one early coastal city to the north/east and then captured Kabul. I also killed Germany and China. Some cities on the way to the other capitals as well.

Gold and military stuff.

Germany and China.

I conquered the starting continent with some archers, swordsmen, xbows and a GG. Then i built 12 charriots, upgraded them to knights and added another medievel era GG. In the end i bought bombards and horsemen and then switched to Theocracy to use all my faith on cavalry and artillery.
My navy were 2 galleys and 6 frigates.

- Was your UU helpful?
No, i did not use it.

I sold quite a lot of luxuries to gain more gold, other than that there wasn`t much going on.

Karthage was very useful, Amsterdam and Lisbon for traderoutes and envois.

No i did not manage to obtain a religion.

Early barbarians very super annoying with mounted units, slingers and warriors. It took me quite a while to get rid of them and capture Kabul. Trajan built the Colloseum on t105, when i was just about to finish my ED. I had preparded 4 forests to rush it and therefore destroyed Ostia to make it available again, though this was more for revenge as it was very late into the game.
Uruk was super hard to conquer, I DOWed Gilgamesh in t141 but he had a cavalry corps with a GG in the city, mounting 83 defense. I had to wait for artillery tech to finish to finally conquer Uruk, as my cavalry corpses barely scratched it.

Domination gameplay is not my favourite and lategame unit movement becomes very tedious, but i still had a fun game. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• GANDHI 153DV.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
  • 20170530201922_1.jpg
    20170530201922_1.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Turn 311 domination victory.

I have had only a few domination wins before so I was happy even for this slow one. Funny game that I won, even though at one point I lost my own capital.

China declared on me quite early, which eventually lead to the destruction of China (sparing 2 cities). After that my army continued to take some German cities including their capital. However, just as I captured the last one there I wanted, Norway took a huge invasion force, mostly knights, and after a slow fight managed to take my capital. I did not lose my nerve though, as my capital was not the most important city I had. I Northern army was making its way painfully slowly back to my (then Norwegian) capital, and I took it back in a few turns. I had some catapults that lasted the whole game and ended up as very experienced rocket artillery (actually this had never happened in my games before).

I was thinking ahead and built the Venetian arsenal in my best coastal city and built a fleet of frigates, which I then launched at Norway and later the last remaining continent and the frigates/battleships greatly helped in conquering it, even though some capitals were inland. Some of them, however, were quite close to land, so 4 range from sea could reach them. Also the first game where I utilized air units. I built around 5-6 bombers and used them especially for those inland capitals.

My wars took a few setbacks that clearly slowed me down, such as China getting their unique units just before I finished them off and I think Rome getting infantry at some point before me. I eliminated only England, as they had only one remaining city. City-states were not a huge help, but I had 2-3 suzerain statuses most of the time.

Attachments

• GANDHI 311 1880 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 186
Turn 391 Domination, score 1845. My usual slow grind to maximize the score after failing to win quickly :)

about 60
Military, navy, gold
Rome
Elephants and archers, navy later
- Was your UU helpful?
Yes, helpful when you're behind in science
Sabotaged spaceports early
Yes, with gold and science and definitely with culture
Could not get a religion, but gods of war pantheon helped with early faith
Not getting a religion was a bit of a surprise
Pretty good, thanks!

Attachments

• GANDHI 391 1970 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 159
T196 DV, score of 886.

After building a few slingers I settled my first city along the NE coast.
I conquered China very early on taking their two cities then immediately onto Germany. In the whole process I stole 2 settlers, captured 5 cities and founded 6 cities on my own to make 13 by turn 100. I left the city states alone figuring the kabal suzerain bonus and the Amsterdam/Lisbon envoy gold generation would be worth keeping..

Mainly economic focus. I managed to build the pyramids and Colosseum almost immediately after conquering Germany's capital thanks to an open desert tile, entertainment complex being already built and a GE for two charges of +215 wonder production.

Just China, the other civs I only kept a couple cities after their capital.

started off with 5 archers, 2 warriors and 2 elephants which was enough to conquer most of the starting continent although I did have to chop and purchase a few more archers to stave off barbs from the unexplored south. I made 2 galleys upgrading them to caravels for exploration boost, 2 quadiremes and about 5 chariots I upgraded to knight once I had 50% discount. Later into the game I made about 10 horsemen to upgrade into cavalry, 5 or so frigates from quadiremes, 1 battering ram, siege tower and 6 crossbows. I did not get any GGs and it took quite a few turns to take Norway's capital as my army was pretty modest, I really should focused more on military looking back in retrospect. My main focus instead was infrastructure and I built commercial hubs in almost every city along with tons of builders to the point there were few tiles left unimproved. The massive gold income (+250/turn past t120) certainly helped however and I made quite a few gold purchases once I had merchant republic

- Was your UU helpful?
I only made 2 and it was somewhat helpful early on, but the slow movement felt awkward and I felt better off getting chariots/horses so I could upgrade later on.

sold a few great works I plundered and traded horses for lots of gold/luxuries.

i became suzerain of almost every SS and the bonuses helped for sure.

never bothered

The amount of turns having to cross over the ocean felt overwhelming. I settled a city on southern island in the middle of the map asap to use as an outpost in order to upgrade my units that were travelling en route towards the other continent.

Very much as always. I'm pretty happy I managed to achieve a DV on this map in under 200 turns.

Attachments

• GANDHI 196 1350 AD DV.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
  • t196DV.jpg
    t196DV.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 172
  • t196DV2.jpg
    t196DV2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
T155 Domination Victory.

I'm in extreme bad luck. Just as I started attacking China at T50 he took off Horseman, which increases his defense significantly as well as destroying several of my archers.
Just as I started attacking Norway at T100, he built a caravel (His previous unit with max strength was Spearman. That caravel increased his defense for all cities by 25 points, and made me very frustrated and delayed a few turns.)

The same thing happens when I started attacking England. Victoria's most powerful unit was Swordman before T120, but when I arrived at T121, she hired an admiral named Lee Shun-Jin, when brought her an Ironclad and thus increase all of her defenses by 24. That made me lose lots of Knights and Varus to capture her capital.

Then when I attack Sumeria at T125, he took off a field cannon just in time. I can only conquer his seaside cities by frigate and leave his capital for Infantry.
Greek and Roman got Civil Engineering just in time when I started attacking them. Also, they got privateers so their city strikes are very powerful. Greece has Defense of Faith! I almost sacrificed all my knights and varus here and had to use infantry.

Finally I got Infantry at T138 and won at T155 by Tank Corps. Then it turned out that my opponent finished at T153. Just in time to beat me!

Whoops! Bad Luck.

I attach with my save at T145 and T138 to see if anyone can find a solution to win before T153 for me. This game took me about a whole day, that is to say, 24 hrs approximately. Thinking of moves as well as doing actually moves.

Attachments

• GANDHI 155 Dom-Victory.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
  • GANDHI 138 540 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • GANDHI 145 680 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
How many cities did you settle or capture?
I settled about 7 and captured a lot. About 30 I think.
Horseback Riding--Mansonry--Stirrup--Square Rigging--Industrialization--Plastic(finished at T150)
Varu+50%--Politic Phil--Feudal--Upgrade-50%--Exploration--Reformed Church--Civil Engineering--Moblization (finished at T155)

I eliminated China.
6 Archers, Then 6 Varus, then 12 Knights, then 5 Frigates, then 7 Infantries and some other units.
- Was your UU helpful?
Indian UU is among the best UUs. It's extremely helpful.
I just trade before attacking to get free cash.
No, they're not that helpful in this scenario.
I didn't got a religion. But due to Indian UA I had Jesuit Education available in lot of cities. So I bought lots of universities using faith.
I got extremely terrible bad luck. I think, in my situation, this game is even more diffulty than the Deity Continent Domination Games I had before. Since in my game, everyone got their city defense enhanced just in time. Then I finally lose by a 2T gap.
Maybe. It seems that I have more military units and faster tech and culture speed than that T153 guy all the game, but just lose by a DoW at the Romans. At turn 145 I have 6 capitals. I made peace of Roman at T145,got a city near his capital, and placed my army in T145~T155. At T145 I had 6 Infantries, and the front line was about 7 turns' distance(7T For Infantry, or 4T for Knights) to Roman Capital(For 2 move units) If I have not made that peace, it may be possible to win before T153, since I got Plastic (which means oil for Tank) at T150.

A Domination game is always tend to experience a computer crash. For me, it crashed on T25, T145. I rested at T50 and T100 I think. You're supposed to find about 5 sessions in my upload.
These sessions begin from T1, T25,T50,T100,T145.

Last edited:
If China does not choose to settle his 4th city near horse, his defense will be only about 21, then I can take him down at ~T62 instead of T67, which may lead to about the same 5T gap of capturing Germany and save about 3T tech/culture time of getting Upgrade-50% policy for me. Then my army will arrive at Norway at ~96T instead of 100T, thus he will not make a caravel. I'll take him down at ~100T instead of 107T.
Then I'll arrive at England at ~115T instead of 122T, before Victoria got Lee-Shun Jin I can easily take her down in ~5T. Then I can start to attack Greece at ~120T instead of the actual 131T, which leads to a solid T140~145 victory.

In fact, if any of these "Just in time" events do not happen, I can save a lot of time and finish at ~T150.

Anyway, players on Civfanatics have a very high level of skills. I once think I can win easily, but it turned out that I'm beaten down in both 6otM 15 and 6otM 16. Congratulations to Winners!

Last edited:
Domination victory, turn 244. 861 points (Louis XVI). My error in DoF Germany allowed them about 15 turns to develop before I attacked them. By then I had lost some of the Varu advantage and it took some time to wade through their seemingly endless supply of knights. I then moved on to Norway, who provided less resistance but a more challenging capital location. By this time I had built up a force of frigates and captured a Sumerian coastal city as a base on the large foreign continent. This allowed me to upgrade to battleships, tanks and artillery, taking out England and capturing Uruk easily. My battleships moved North with a second tank army force to capture Rome, then all forces struck at Greece, directly at Sparta which was again in a tricky location requiring lots of unit movement.

India is not really cut out for a Domination game, although the Varu is a strong early unit. I didn’t found a religion so many of the Indian attributes (including the Stepwell) were of limited value, although I did build up a lot of Faith which I used to recruit Great General and Admirals. Difficult to tell if the War Weariness bonus causes issues with the AI.

I had a few happiness issues midgame, but a strong cultural output allowed me to get civics for zoos and stadiums in reasonable time. I was behind in tech until late game, but the Greek and Roman science advantage did not focus on military. Greece had 3 aerodromes but no planes I could see. I built a few biplanes at the end but never got any into action. I used Merchant Republic then Communism as Governments:- I didn’t bother with Theocracy as I was not short of units.

Attachments

• GANDHI 244 1665 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
Turn 291 Score 998

Way more than I should have

I rushed swordsman, catapults, and mercenaries

I sent China, Germany, and Harold to the dustbin.

I built a huge army and very little navy. Only England was on the coast so it didn't seem necessary.

- Was your UU helpful?
I never even built it. The unit is so situationally good that I never saw the need.

YES. When I met Rome they were high stepping in science. They were at 250 and mine was a meager 120. I teamed up with England to take it to them and was probably the reason I won.

The two mercantile city states were obviously really helpful. helped me fund wars through the ages with all my trade routes going to them.

never used it other than to purchase units and great people. helped the war cause that is about it.

Rome being as stubborn as they are would only take a blanket peace deal and the nations at war with them would not accept that. This lead to huge unhappiness all across the world and Rome being so far ahead in tech was pumping out barbarian modern tanks every few turns. It made for a very climactic ending.

YES. a very challenging game enjoyed every moment.

Attachments

• 6otM15_Domination_India_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
T278 DV, score 1033

There were 36 in the end, quite a few with captured settlers.

Military ones.

Nobody. I'm too soft, apparently.

Slingers/archers with a couple of warriors and a catapult or two first, then later lots of muskets and some frigates.

- Was your UU helpful?
I have built a few but they were of limited use.

I used it quite a lot, mainly for buying luxuries, but in China's case must have overused it. Had to wait 15 turns for an alliance to expire, can't tell why on earth I entered it. Still, by giving back one city in a peace deal I managed to avoid excessive WM negatives with other AIs for quite some time, but, perhaps, in a domination game that is a bit counterproductive.

Commercial ones gave quite a boost to the income. I planned to vassalize Kabul for faster XP, it worked for a short time, then Harald took it. I liberated it when I was dealing with the Vikings, but soon afterwards, Gorgo sailed in and sent 12 envoys there in one go, outnumbering me by 6! I was not amused for sure.

Completely ignored it, but got loads of faith due to India's ability. Used it to buy some great people for laughs, and only now remembered, I could use it to buy units with theocracy. Oh well...

The big size of the starting continent. It took quite some time to get to people.

This was my first domination victory since... well, a few years? In Civ V I used to lose patience somewhere after the midgame and take the least effort escape route via a SV - moving dozens of units does get old with me rather sooner than later. But this game was somehow different. The map was interesting and probably I got myself into right mood, so it was fun :)

Attachments

• GANDHI 278 1814 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 151
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom