1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 17 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jun 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM17 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Photi

Photi Governor

Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

Settled in place after seriously considering moving east to the stone hill. That would've been an ok spot, but original position of settler showed a really good confluence of rivers that would allow for two +2 commercial hubs with two hansas in the middle with added resource adjacencies, plus a good Ruhr Valley spot.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

The nearest term goal was to get to horseback riding for the horsemen, with Apprenticeship the goal after that. Along the way it became apparent that early wars were going to be unlikely due to not having any other civs nearby. I also went into this thinking i was going to use the city state attack bonus, but again with so much space to settle with little competition, i decided against that as well, thinking the bonuses from the two nearby city states will be more valuable.

What was your build order?

4 Slingers and a Settler

How long did it take to find your neighbors?

Took awhile actually. On my warrior's initial exploration, it looks like i missed meeting Saladin by a few tiles. Found the two nearest city states soon enough to get the free envoys, but there wasn't much competition there.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

I have several districts built now with more on the way. Placed commercial hubs right away in all my cities, and placed a few campuses as well. No campuses have been completed yet, but i do have at least 2 commercial hubs and 2 hansas built. I have 2 encampments underway on the western front to defend against Arabia. Harald is usually so easy to befriend after a couple of galleys, so i haven't been too worried about him. However, just before the 100 turn mark a Norwegian settler showed up in the west where my two side-by-side hilltop encampments are. I was going to steal the settler, but he settled the coast there the turn after i noticed him and before i could intervene. So it may now become a bit trickier to be friends with him because i'm not moving my troops that are up next to "his" border. I could have prevented the settlement with a little more foresight, so hopefully this development does not prove to be too much of a liability.

Did you try to build any Wonders?

No.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Yes. I have 11 cities settled including capital, and it looks like i will settle at least 5 more. Victoria all of a sudden appeared and settled a city at the end of the long peninsula to the east. This should make it easier to become friends with her, i just hope i can get a few settlers over there to contain her expansion. My main focus of expansion up to this point has been to the west thinking i had all the time i needed to settle the east. We will see.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Settlers, builders, production, conscription. god king early on. I chose divine spark for the help with great scientists, although i went into the game planning on god of the forge. But with wars unlikely through the classical era, i decided against it.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

I have met 3 so far, have envoys with all of them. Saladin has the city state fetish, on top of that he is always a good performer in the sciences, so i have been planning since early on that him and me would not be friends. Depending on how he develops, i anticipate hostilities with him before the game is done.

Were your neighbors peaceful?

So far everyone has been peaceful to me. With so much space to expand, this is to be expected. Looks like Hojo got chopped by both Saladin and Hal.

How were the Barbarians?

Right now they are being a big pain up in the NE, hopefully i can extinguish them before the mass spawning of crossbows and ironmen.

Any surprises?

SO MUCH SPACE! I was seriously gearing up for war, but so far war seems frivolous.

I got a full tech (apprenticeship) for free from a goody hut in the east. I don't recall that happening before.

I have been so focused on expansion that it seems like it has taken forever for my districts (especially commercial hubs) to be built. I have compensated economically by selling my resources for gold. It's worked out pretty good. Plus all the wilderness has produced many barb camps to raid and all kinds of goody huts have helped me in the currently low-producing science realm. All my important districts should be coming up here in the next 10-20 turns to shore up what feel like deficiencies at the moment.

20170615022116_1.jpg 20170615022133_1.jpg 20170615022144_1.jpg 20170615022217_1.jpg

Attached Files:

3. peurojoque

peurojoque Chieftain

Seems like it's gonna be a fun game.

Moved the warrior to the N and after seeing the desert settled in place. Second city to the east to get iron.

Went for bronze working and horseback riding first to get some speed advantage, then apprenticeship. +6 Hansa in the capital, yay!

Scout, slinger, slinger, builder, slinger.

Not too long. Hojo appeared around T15 or so, Harald soon after. Found Sal quite late, though.

Encampment first between T40-50, then Hansa and CH. Now building campuses in expos.

No

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Settled 7 cities so far, captured a settler from Norway. Gonna send out a few more settlers now to fill the gaps.

Military production mostly because see below.

Met Valletta first, but it took me a while to get to Vilnius and Lisbon. They had easy quests though, so I'm now suzerain of all three.

Hojo and Harald declared practically early, so I had to focus on military first. Harald showed up with a few warriors and made peace quickly. I am yet to see a single unit from Hojo, seems he's busy with Sal. I declared on Harald a few turns back to get a settler and then a nice peace deal.

Not too bad, I dealt with all horse camps quickly before they started breeding. There's one camp in the east at the end of the peninsula with a couple quads. Killed an Archer, those bastards!

- Any surprises?
    Wonders! Three of them!

4. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

First on Rice, next on the hill beside the horse.

Apprenceship and Professional Army. I got upgrade-50% at T77 and built an army with 12 Knights, a GG and a Battling Ram.

Worker, Settler, Worker, Slinger, Slinger

Japan at T18 or so. Others come extremely late.

Campus at T31 I think. I prioritize campus and hansas, while building commercial hub bases (I actually finished 2 for 2 market eureka) to provide adjacent bonus to hansas.

No

Settled 10 cities and captured about 8.

First classical republic for a fast GS and GG, then autocracy after I hired the first GS and GG. At T95 I switched to Merchant Republic

Met Vilnius first, then Valletta. I captured both. Then a lot of other city-states. I put all my envoys to Hattusa since it is scientific.

Maybe before T100 is so.

They're extremely strong. I lost several archers.

- Any surprises?
    Born isolated is a terribly bad thing. Arabia got their Mumluk in time.

I think I'll lose again this time since at T100 I only have 140 bottle per turn and 70 culture per turn, (For comparison, I got both 200+ in a sumeria game at T100, which I managed to do a DV with tank at T133.) my even failed to get industrialization before T100, which is absolutely not enough to finish before T150.

I wonder if I can finish before T170. This seems to make sense, but I'm not sure. Whacker is sure to finish before T160 I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  5. Rakish

Rakish Chieftain

after tossing and turning I settled on the rice. The dessert reveled by the opening warrior move encouraged me south. settled 2nd city to the west next to the horses.

focused on unlocking campus, com and Hansa.

Slinger, slinger, (realized I had a bit of breathing room) so then went settler, Slinger, builder, trader (purchased), warrior

A while, long enough for me to pause writing research to wait for the eureka to finish

Campus, Com, Hansa... everywhere... Ive purchased a ton of tiles to max the Com, hansa combos by selling 2x horses and 1x iron to my rivals and generally keeping a small army.

No, Its deity and I wasn't keen on chopping them out.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Its turn 101 and I have 15 cities settled and a settler in transit, that strong capital start has turned into a bonafide settler factory

Settler bonus, and builder bonus. a few turns away from a massive federalism builder push. been a republic the whole time.

Have 1 envoy in all on the land mass with 3 in the scientific one, haven't broadened my horizons just yet.

Yes had friendship with Japan and Arabia twice now. though Arabia looks like its massing its troops for when this agreement runs its course as I'm light on troops. Been fortunate that Norway hasn't invaded as yet as they have some big military numbers.

not to bad, handled the half a dozen or so camps up to now with my little force well enough.

- Any surprises?
    Well going Into this one I wanted to try a peaceful run. I'm a bit burned out on the conquer all rout even if it means my finishing date will suffer. Couldn't believe my luck when I figured out just how much room there is. I'm 16 cities in and there's still room for 6 more without establishing colony's.

To be honest though, this is probably going to be a bit too easy as a result. I was sort of hoping to really test myself and try peaceful in a more 'standard' deity map. Ive scraped out a couple of deity culture victory's like that but not a science as yet.

Not that I'm complaining. Building a huge empire like this is heaps of fun, so much so its easy to get off course of the goal of actually winning to chase all these amazing 'dream' cities that never have a hope to make back the investment but do look impressive.

6. whacker

whacker Chieftain

Capital settled on top orf the rice, 2. city north-east next to the mountains.

I prioritized writing, currency and apprenticeship for districts. Stirrups and machinery for knights and crossbows. Fast Political Philosophie for Classical Republic, Mercenaries for professional army and Guilds for Craftsmen. I could have chosen Trade Rebublic already, but i decided to stay in the Cassical Republic for a bit longer than usual because the +1 military slot Germany offers makes up for the lack of card slots until Enlightenment.

Scout, settler, builder 6xslinger, warrior. 3xslinger, trader in the 2. city. Got a second scout in a goody hut.

Norway found me with a scout pretty early on, with 2 scouts of my own i managed to discover Arabia and Japan soon afterwards. I also met China and Russia in the midgame, leaving two AI`s to be discovered.

1. District was an encampment in the capital for 2 inspirations and the classical GG. Afterwards Campus/Hansa/CD in all cities.

Not yet. Colloseum and Zimbabwe are in the planning

I built 7 settlers on my own, captured 2 from Saladin, 1 from Norway one from Japan and a random barb settler.. I conquered Valetta, Vilnius and Kumasi in that order. Other than that i also killed Saladin for 2 cities and conquered Kyoto. Total of 19 cities.
    Army used: 9 archers->5 xbows, 3 warriors, 7 knights+battering ram and a classical GG.

I met 6, 3 of them conquered already. I will keep Hatusha and Lisbon for envois (3 for each so far) and ignore Jerusalem. Hopefully i will find more good CS soon, got 4 envois stored.

The were fighting each other constantly, distance kept me save.

EXTREMELY annoying. That has to be the game were barbarians are actually a bigger pain than all AI`s combined. Constant streams of horsemen/archers/warrios made me split up my forces, giving me a real run for my money.

- Any surprises?
    The isolated start makes barbarians a huge problem, also conquering took more time than expected. So far i am pleasantly surprised by Germany. Aside from their UU everything seems to be pretty useful, exceeding my expectations. Not completey sure about the Hansa yet, only time will tell they are worth the effort. Combined with the Craftsmen card they look really promising though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

I'm last in almost everything around turn 100 and I had to pivot my strategy after finding no one nearby, but I did get down close to 10 cities and quite a few hansa so I will hopefully be able to catch up. I struggle with SV and have yet to win one on Deity so I don't think I'll be breaking any time records here. I'll have to stay focused in this one because I'm only at 30 beakers per turn right now and I feel way behind - I have no idea how people are getting 150+ at turn 100.

Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? I settled in place which was maybe not the strongest move, but it seemed like the best long term location. I didn't build a second city until around 50 turns in. I settled it NE of the capital to get the iron.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? I went for apprenticeship but took a few detours based on Eurakas. I was a little late in getting to political philosophy - I prioritized units early and didn't get my culture going for awhile. I should have picked God of the Open Sky for my pantheon but I mistakenly chose Craftsmen which wasn't much help.

What was your build order? Mainly units early which helped with barbs but o/w not very strong given the lack of cities nearby. Slinger, Warrior, Slinger, Worker, Warrior, Slinger, Slinger Monument, Settler, Encampment, Horseman X2. I was planning to take some cities early with horsemen but that didn't pan out.

How long did it take to find your neighbors?
    Met Japan and Arabia around the same time early and then Norway and England later.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

I built an early encampment in the capital followed by some campus and then went all out hansa. I placed a few commercial districts but haven't finished them yet. It's too bad there are no science or production CS nearby - I have a few envoys saved up but it's a slow start for science.

Did you try to build any Wonders?

No - too risky on Deity in the early game.

I got off to a slow start since I was planning on conquering. I only had a single city around turn 50 so then I shifted to full expansion mode. I suzerained Valetta for the unit production bonus and built a bunch of settlers in the capital. At turn 100 I had 9 cities (1 CS and settled the rest, 2 via captured settlers) and two more settlers en route.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

I had God King in early to get a pantheon, and then switched to the settler production boost. I had the worker production card in for awhile and alternated unit production cards to crank out some horses and ranged units.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Only Valetta, Vilnius, and Jersalem - pretty awful. I captured Vilnius (barely - my horseman was far into the red)

Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yes - I declared early on Arabia and Noway to grab some settlers, but no major wars. Barbarians were more troublesome. Japan has knights and Samurai so they can do some damage - trying to stay on their good side.

How were the Barbarians?
    Pretty rough - I popped a horse camp early and had to deal with a swarm near my capital in the first 30 turns. Then another one popped at my border city so I had to turtle up there. I lost some units.

Any surprises?
    This is one of the most unusually isolated starts I've seen for such a large continent.

Attached Files:

8. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

How can you manage to capture that much settlers in a NO-Replay game?

Since the AIs are extremely far apart in this game.

If they are caught by army, it's fine.

If you use your scout to catch these much on the no-replay rule, it seems that you may be using a brilliant strategy I don't know.

Since it is embarrasing that in C6 you can't judge a city's location time by its name. So could you advise me how to do that? Many thanks.

9. whacker

whacker Chieftain

Only 2 of those settlers were captured before t70, both by a scout between Arabia and Japan. One of those was already stolen by barbarians. Norway moved a settler towards one of my cities so i declared war just to get him. One from Saladin was chilling in Kairo, the other one was built in the 10 turns peace between capturing both of his cities and i blocked possible spots with units.
    No secret strategy, just very offensive use of scouts, good timing and a bit of luck.
    I hope i could dissipate your very obvious doubts of fair play.

Eliminator_Sr likes this.
  10. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

I see. Thanks for your reply. It seems that you're having very good luck as well as playing well. Although if replay allowed, capturing 2 settlers using 1 scout is easy, it's not usual in a no-replay game to use one scout to capture 2 settlers in an early game, but you managed to do that.
    I'm not doubting, I just want to learn something since I think I'm 3~5 turns behind you at T100, (since my Industrialization actually came at T107) you're sure to beat me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Settled on spot first city. Second city I founded to the southwest to take advantage of the 2 horses.

started off animal-husbandry-mining-pottery-irrigation-archery (eureka)-horseback riding(to build very early horseman)-masonry (for pyramids) then focused towards apprenticeship for obvious reasons.

scout-settler-builder-slinger x5-settler-builder- horseman x3

don't recall exactly but around 15-20 turns I met Norway and Arabia from their scouts.

first district was campus which I finished ~turn 50, then I zoned a few tiles for commerical hubs and chopped a campus on my NE city near the mountains.

Yes, I built pyramids very quickly in Aachen while producing builders in almost every city. Currently I am 2 turns off finishing Colosseum in a location that will reach 5 cities (including capital), and space left for a few more cities within the radius which I may or may not take advantage of.

It was very tempting to spam settlers and build cities on every open spot with this juicy wide open map. However I had decided my main goal was to get a good army with supportive infrastructure first. Unlike most of my other gotms I was not able to capture any earlier settlers before I DOW'd the ai. I figured I would build an army go to war asap while saving 4-5 forest tiles to chop later for settlers.

Currently I am at 16 cities:

8 settled myself
    4 conquered from Arabia
    4 conquered from Japan

I did not bother taking over any of the city states forgetting that Frederick has the +7 combat bonus. It may have been very worthwhile but my focus was elsewhere.

- I enacted diplomatic league for double first envoy after meeting Kumasi and Hattusa.
    - While I was building the pyramids and later while researching feudalism I used Ilkum to queue as many 1 turn off completion builders as I could.
    - Chopped 4-5 settlers while using colonization
    - Used maneuver while making horsemen and some chariots to later upgrade into knights.
    - Used Corvee for a few turns while I harvested some woods and stone to make damn sure I didn't miss completion of Colosseum or pyramids. I think I could have built them anyways without the harvesting but I didn't want to take any chances.

Kumasi was my first priority after discovering them as I really -really- like the Suzerain culture bonus. Hattusa of course too since I will be making a lot of campus districts. Sadly Norway destroyed Lisbon and I would have liked extra gold from commercial hubs but my army was elsewhere and I guess you can't always have everything unless you play perfectly.

Not really a problem until ~t95 or so when a large army of horseman/horse archers spawned north of the cities I conquered from Arabia. My entire army was was 20 tiles south and I had forgot to leave a few units to fog of war bust near a barb encampment and this currently is slowing me down. Quite a few tiles got pillaged and one of my workers was captured but no major damage so far. I was lucky to have enough faith the recruit the great engineer that builds free city walls and will soon finish a few chariots in time before it gets out of control.

Attached Files:

12. Greenlami

Greenlami Chieftain

As of turn 104:

First City over rice, then the second near the oasis
    I researched Irrigation, animal husbandry and astrology (total waste of time as i didn't use faith btw), then proceeded toward unlocking hansa
    Warrior, scoutx2, settler
    Met Hadrada and Tokimune quite soon but could not find cities for a whie, big map with much space beetween civs!
    Built first commercial station about round 60 and then military district, began building hansas around turn 100
    Built pyramids, was hoping to build Petra since I founded my 2nd city near the desert but some other player did before I could
    No captures and no wars, I only have 4 cities right now, barbarians really slowed me down a lot
    Prioritized strenght against barbarians and city defences, going for + production and + for settlers right now
    Met Vilnius, Lisbona and Valletta, 4-2-2 right now, not liking any of them reaaly, haven't decided yet if I wanted to conquer one
    Very much, they only waged war against each othe but I don't even know where!
    Pain in the ***. Killed a few in the first turns and was hoping to keep them under controll, but looks like they began to spawn knight very early
    - Any surprises?
    Apart from the barbarians, the map is actually quite vast and with many resources. I could not use it for my best maybe, this is my first deity difficulty so it's been quite engaging!

13. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

The first time (excluding Outback Tycoon) that I ever play Deity! It's going pretty well so far, though that might also be due to a lack of closeby AIs.

I settled in place. Second city took a while because I started with an archer rush and then built a fourth to have some defense against the joint declaration of war from Hojo and Harald (but they didn't do anything in the end). By the time I settled my second city on the river to the southwest, I already had captured Vilnius with the archers and the bonus against city states.

I prioritized archery because of the archer rush, after that I went for Writing and I also went for an early Horseback Riding due to the two horse resources closeby, meaning I could build horsemen without encampments. After that I simply tried to get all eurekas and abort techs if I thought I could get an early eureka. This isn't something I'm very good at, but considering I'm playing 2 difficulty levels higher than I'm used to I think I will need to do it anyways to win.

Edit: Also, I haven't yet bothered to discover Astrology and Sailing, though I might do so now that I got a coastal city.

Three slingers that got upgraded into archers, part of a builder, then a fourth archer because of the joint war declaration by Japan and Norway, finishing the builder, then starting on a Settler.

I found Hojo and Harald in the first twenty turns, haven't met anyone since. The two made a joint declaration of war in turn 27, but they never showed up with any units (in which case I'd have had a problem, as my army was away conquering Valetta) and ten turns later I made peace again.

First district I built was a no adjacency bonus campus in Aachen on the tile to the SW for no other reason than "I'm going for a scientific victory". In turn 100 I got a bunch of campuses (3 or 4) and I'm now spamming Hansas and Commercial Hubs everywhere. After that I'm going to build more campuses and see how well I can get snowballing.

Nope, not even gonna try. Also it's easier to remain friends with Harald because he has a wonder builder hidden agenda and that -13 from no navy is already messing me up.

At first, I prioritized getting some military going and using that to conquer Vilnius and somewhat later (after wiping out a barbarian raid or two) Valetta. After I got some things up and running I used Aachen, which has amazing food and production, to spam settlers and I'm very agressively claiming all land that I can, and I count space for at least 19 cities if no one else comes in to claim it, and that's with at least one direction where I do not know when I'll find an AI, while most of what I know is bordered by seas or Harald. So more than enough space. Right now I'm sitting at 9 cities, of which two captured, but some fifteen more turns I'll be at about 12-14 cities.

I had some gold problems for a while because of the archer rush (barely anything in the plus) but took care of that with the cheaper military card, for the rest I've been sitting on settler production basically all game, as well as the +1 production for all cities. Have only used the +influence points as there isn't really a lot of ways to spend my envoys anyways, with Lissabon being the only city state I didn't capture and them not having a good unique.

Vilnius, Valetta and Lissabon. The first two were indeed quickly introduced to the culture of the Holy Roman Empire, the third is too far away to really be interesting but got three envoys from me because money in commercial hubs.

I met two, and they weren't peaceful, but considering they never sent any units I don't really mind.

They got a bit annoying because I wasn't clearing them for some time because my army was away, but I only got one tile pillaged in the whole game and didn't lose a single unit. I did get away by the skin of my teeth, however, as a camp had spawned exactly five tiles away from a horse resource on the only tile in the 5-tile radius that I hadn't discovered earlier, and they did spawn a raid (with the strong horsemen), but apparently they went somewhere else, because all I found from them was one severely wounded horseman that I easily dispatched before taking the camp.

- Any surprises?

Even on Huge I'm not expecting to have so much space to expand... Empire Builder's heaven!

14. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Germany turn 105. Very unusual game so far. I have 8 cities at this stage, surprisingly all settled by me (albeit 1 from a captured Norwegian settler). I settled in place, built 2 x slinger, worker, archer, settler and bagged the nice river-hill spot to E of capital. Finding lots of lovely real estate and no AI in the vicinity, I proceeded to spam settlers to occupy the 2 nearby NW and the rivers in that region, later filling in 2 coastal spots to N and NE. The AI remained notable by its absence near my territory (I met Norway and Japan early, but both were far away) but this left lots of space for barbarian spawn. I eventually discovered 2 Norwegian settlers escorted by an archer, DOW and captured 1 settler but the other escaped by sea. I made a reasonable peace settlement shortly afterward because barbarians were beginning to be a pain and Norwegian territory was still well outside my sphere of interest. I have not played as Germany before and it was only after researching Apprenticeship that I looked closely at the Hansa spec:- oops!, I should be settling resources not hills. My infrastructure is now developing nicely and the plan is to lever the German CS combat bonus with crossbows and knights to “liberate” the 2 nearest CS (Kumasi to S and a Military CS to W). I am suzerain of Lisbon and hope to maintain this arrangement. As for the AI, I have latterly met Arabia, who like Japan seems to have very stunted expansion (barbs?) and little military but are quite advanced:- I am tempted to try out Research Agreements with one or other of these if I can develop our common dislike of Norway into friendship. Harald is the most likely threat but I need to explore around his territory more before preparing any invasion attempt. I am mid-table in score and military power (partly because I haven’t yet fully upgraded my units to save cash for buying tiles).

All quiet on the Western Front, so I am laying down Hansa, Commerce and Campus Districts while the sun shines.

15. Gideon Griebenow

Gideon Griebenow Chieftain

Turn 91, with a score of 196, ahead of everyone else. Closest three are unkown with 179, 172 and 170. Saladin, Harald and Hojo has 160, 150 and 149, with another unmet player at 145. 7th in Domination and Science, but I've only recently started focusing on Science. I have 15 technologies with 41.5 science per turn, while Saladin has 24 with 65 Science per turn. Last in Culture and Religion. Yet I'm first in score, so I'm expecting to start clawing my way up the Victory conditions ladder. I have never "beelined" to a Science Victory before, so I may already have put myself back many turns with my approach, but it's not just about the earliest finish for me anyway. Still, I'm going to have to do some research and plan ahead - especially on Great Scientists and how to get Spaceports producing like crazy. Also, I have chopped/harvested a few hexes, but nothing major, and I suspect a super-early finish probably requires much more aggressive chopping. I guess having enough forests available when Spaceports come around would be important.

Capital on the rice. I settled Frankfurt to the SW in the choke-point towards Harald. I had grand plans for an Encampment to properly cut him off from the lands to the East, but he DOW long before I got there, and after the war it may not be necessary anymore, although he's still third overall in Military Strength. Either way, I've kept him from the lands to the East, which I can possibly settle in time - maybe another 3 cities. I think I'll try to see if I can take anything from Hojo next, since he's way behind in Military Strength.

I forgot to make notes on this, but remember it being directed by boosts early on. At some point I focused on Writing, Currency and Apprenticeship, followed by Mathematics and Education on my way to Scientific Theory. I probably need to get to Crossbows as well soon.

Scout, Settler, Builder. I didn't make notes further, but I built 4 Settlers with an Archers or two in-between, before focussing on Archers (almost too late), and a couple of settlers again. Workers came later for the most part, but then quite a few at the same time, with the boosting card.

- Religion
    I received 20 Faith twice from GHs, chose Divine Spark, but didn't bother further with Religion.

Found Harald with my warrior to the South-West on T12 after getting Archery boost from a GH. Then got a Scout from GH.
    Hojo found me on T20

I started very late. I produced my Capital's Hansa just before I conquered Valetta, which contained an Encampment, around turn 70. Currently (T91) at 1 Encampment plus one on the way in the choke point towards Saladin and Hojo, 5 Hansa, 2 Campus (plus one on the way), 1 Commercial. And I've just realised I'm mistakenly building an Entertainment Complex instead of a Commercial Hub next to my Hansa at Valetta. Crap. There are possibly some other District Adjacency optimisations I'm not aware of as well.

No.

When I saw how isolated I was, and after clearing out quite a few Barbarian Scouts, I decided I would focus on building settlers and get my Archer army a bit later (turned out to be almost too late). I built Settlers for a long time and had settled 7 (including Capital) by T80. Currently at T91 and I've captured 2 City-States and Stole a worker each from Saladin and Hojo, for a total of 11 cities.

Urban planning (+1P per city) and the starting two military cards for a long time. I used +30% worker production and +50% Settler production in waves, as well as +50% Production to get out about 8 Archers around turn 50. Currently

I was the first to meet Valetta to the North and Vilnius (Scout) to the South (Warrior). Later on I got the "meet 3 city-states" boost, although I didn't meet a third. It was the same turn when someone got wiped out, so I assume I got the "meet" from the wipe-out. I met Lisbon much later and should have actually sent my saved-up Envoy there for the +4gpt, since I was really running low, but I lost quite a few turns. I met Jerusalem and Kumasi when I DOW on Saladin and Hojo in the T80s to capture a settler from each of them.

For the most part (towards me). Harald and Hojo were at war in T21. Harald DOW on me just when I was coming to the end of the epic Barbarian Horseman war. Luckily my Archer in Frankfurt had just been completed, and it took me 6 turns to get another moved over. Also, Harald came with two warriors at a time twice, before sending a steadier stream that a couple of times had 3 warriors next to my city. The two archers were able to handle it with some hit points on the city remaining. He begged for peace after losing about 8-10 warriors and I got a bit of money. Saladin was surprisingly peaceful after I snagged his settler. He had a Mamluk right there but kept moving and healing each time my Archer took 10HP from him. I had even settled Cologne two hexes away from where I captured the settler to give my Archer a city to hide out in, but he just never attacked. I also settled Augsburg next to where I snagged the settler, on the frontlines towards Hojo. I have a small army there, but the rest is on the way after capturing Vilnius, so I should be ready for retaliation.

I managed to clear out 3 or 4 scouts at the start with my scouts and warrior, but then the real units appeared and I had to run around them using the extra movement through woods/rainforest in order to keep scouting. I got the boost for Archery from a GH, and by that time had realised I was fairly isolated, so I decided to build my Archers rather than get slingers and upgrade. They were mainly for clearing out Barbarians at the start. So, I got quite a tame Barbarian start. However, the one camp north to my third city starting pumping out Horsemen about two turns before I would have cleared it out, and it was the start of an epic battle that cost me quite a few turns. They just kept coming! Probably about 12 of them in quick succession. At the start I had to sacrifice a Scout to draw two of them away so that my Archers could focus on the others for a turn or two, and right at the end I lost an already-red Warrior because I couldn't get away from the second to last Horseman and just couldn't finish him off with the Archers that were close enough. After that epic war I cleared out two more camps and haven't really seen a Barbarian since.

- Any surprises?
    Pretty isolated, and got quite a few GHs due to this. This also prompted me to go Settlers first rather than Army first - I'm not sure if an Army would have gotten me more cities anyway, despite the distance. That huge swell of Barbarian Horsemen around turn 50 or so!

Attached Files: