1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 18 opening actions report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 18 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. cheffster

cheffster Deity

NW from start location so I could start mining the copper faster

Standard animal husbandry into archery start. Then prioritized writing to start zoning my campus districts asap.
    Few tech I prioritized were animal husbandry for horsemen and masonry for pyramids.

scout -settler -slinger x5 -builder (bought with gold) - scout - horseman x3 -archer x3 -into mass builders/settlers. chopped 4-5 settlers very early on.

Zoned a campus district asap in every city. Built 3 commercial hubs for medeival faires inspiration, 1 entertainment district for eventual Colosseum and got a few holy sites from captured cities..

Normally I wait until I can get adjacency bonuses but this game I decided no matter what to spam campuses in every single city except 1-2.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Been on an absolute tear this game, currently at 19 cities.
    - 3 from city states (carthage, vilnius, jerusalem, yerevan soon)
    - 4 captured from other civs (1 from Sumeria, 1 from Kongo and 2 from Germany)
    - 4 built from stolen settlers
    - 9 founded from my own settlers

Being on King difficulty this game it was VERY easy and fast to capture cities so I went to town..
    I also really had some good luck with getting extra scouts from goodie huts then being able to steal some settlers with them.

Used diplomatic league for 2x envoy bonus with there being so many scientific/commerical/industrial states.
    Otherwise I tried to be efficient as possible for spamming settler/builders while swapping economic policies.

cultivating the yellow, blue, brown states for their bonuses, conquered the while/purple.

Attached Files:

3. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

France turn 105. I have 7 cities, 5 settled (including 1 from captured German settler) and 2 captured from Kongo (including their capital). I settled in place, probably as good as any spot in that awkward corner. I quickly pushed out a second settler to take the other river spot to SE:- rather close to capital but it gave an early coastal city. I have campuses built or building in most cities and 2 harbours close to completion. I am friends with Sumeria and both Spain and Germany like me. Kongo doesn’t! I have circumnavigated with a trireme (which sadly was sunk by barb quadriremes within sight of French soil) but not made contact with any other AI. Lots of problems with barb camps in the early game but now ready to expand further towards Germany whilst finishing off Kongo.

4. richardr67

richardr67 Chieftain

Hello,

First attempt at a GOTM.

In Place
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? pottery, writing, animal husb., irrigation, sailing, mysticism, astrology ...
    - What was your build order? scout, slinger, settler, slinger, library, builder, slinger, builder
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? campuses as soon as I could
    With the largest bonus that was available at time of build
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? built 4 captured 1
    agoge, urban planning, charismatic leader, inspiration
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? 13 took out one (don't remember which one) cultivated only 1 so far (lisbon)
    - Were your neighbors peaceful? yes, I did DOW of GIngish on turn 99 to steal his settler.
    - How were the Barbarians? manageable
    - Any surprises? Still pretty new to Civ so everything can be a surprise :) but nothing stands out.

5. Kal1699

Kal1699 Chieftain

Spoiler :
    2.png

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

South on the coast, then two on the north and east coasts, though I probably should have settled Lyon(north) one tile out to get better harbor adj.
    I tried to maximize inspiration/eureka, so kinda randomly. I delayed Foreign Trade for a while chasing two city state quests, but still haven't discovered another continent. I should have built ships.
    Slinger-warrior-settler-settler, as barbs and AI weren't a threat.
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors?
    Not long, as I was sending both warriors east an west.
    Holy site and Campus in each city, going strong religion and science.
    - Did you try to building any Wonders?
    I got Oracle easy, and that changed plans a bit, since some AI are getting Writer points, and I want to compete.
    2 more cities founded within range of planned IZ's. They'll build Harbors for more trade and Encampments for western defense, a stable and barracks. For now I'll turtle. Sumerian leads in science, 35.7 beakers to my second place 28.9, third place unmet and America in fourth with 22. I have an all positive relationship with Sumeria, so I'll first try overtaking him. If not, the midgame will be a war. (Update, just a few turns later I edged over him with Campus adj. bonus)
    Urban planning throughout, took Classical Republic, used +builders, then +settlers, and just switched to HS bonus. Wildcard was +Prophet for a bit, then +Scientist until 3 Campuses built, now+Writer. Diplo stays +2 influence.
    Met 9 and allied with Vilnius(1 inspiration so far), Carthage and Lisbon(strategic depth) and Zanzibar(my focus for sweet spices, and only one I'm competing for)
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yes, especially Germany and Sumeria, who prompted DoFs.
    - How were the Barbarians?
    Only two camps spawned near by before I set up sight blocks. I built a spearman for a city state just in time to kill 2 cav and a horse archer my warrior/slinger team never would have cleared.
    - Any surprises?
    A goody hut gave me a relic very early.

-Religion
    I took Sacred Path for more good HS spots away from the mountains. Reliquaries is also keeping my faith output high. I like taking Holy Order when founding to get the first two Apostles sooner. Pagoda is shoring up my housing problem a bit. World Church will be a culture powerhouse after I convert city states.

I'm being stubborn with my capital, trying to maximize the IZ bonuses. I should have built a Harbor for housing, then the Theater, so I'm beelining Education for a university, and will build a farm and fishing boat to get to 10 housing. Then I'll be able to build an IZ. I will then need to get from 10 to 15 for neighborhoods.

Having 3 IZs covering 3 high production cities is how I plan on getting the Science win.

If I don't discover niter nearby (16 turns away) I'll build an army and get colonial.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

I'm at 210 Science per turn at T100

Attached Files: