1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 20 After Actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 20 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you go tall or wide?
    - How did you pump your Score
    - Did you instigate any major wars?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

Final score 973

I took out India, Russia and Norway quickly then focused on expanding. I didn't cover the entire starting continent nor expand to the others, although I should have. I also didn't use optimal city placement to get as many as possible. I'm fairly certain some folks will have much higher scores than I achieved.

Attached Files:

3. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

Final Score 704.
    How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 9 Captured 13
    What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    After Knights anything I had Eureka's for.Policies I went for Democracy after mercs.
    Did you go tall or wide?
    Very wide thanks to the neighbors lol.
    How did you pump your Score
    By taking other peoples cities and buying some great people near the end.
    Did you instigate any major wars?
    Yes.The continent had to be mine.
    Were City-States helpful?
    Yes.I had them all but three one of which I conquered.
    Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    None other than Gandhi being mean.I kicked his bum.
    Did you enjoy the game?
    Yes.I probably should have been spending all the gold and faith on GP sooner.

Attached Files:

4. Katakanja

Katakanja Chieftain

Final score of 1,176 :w00t:

In total I finished with 41 cities, I think, uh, 16 of them were captured rather than settled. Every major civ on my continent was conquered, along with Vilnius, Yerevan and Valetta. The other CS's got to hang around since they were providing me with useful bonuses and by the end of the game my army was elsewhere capturing more valuable cities so they got to keep their freedom. Conquered all of Japan and Aztec, and was just starting on Rome as the time ran out :(

I got a large amount of GP's, excluding prophets, I think I only missed three or four Great Generals and Admirals to the AI, and one Scientist - the guy that gives you improved healing IIRC. All the others went to Kongo, so that aspect of the game was a huge success. I still had a little more space for cities in the northeasternmost corner of my home continent, and my highest production cities could still get settlers out in ~12 turns at the end of the game, so I should have perhaps aimed to get a few more out earlier on. I built any wonder that I could once I had a city that could produce it in under 10 turns, but for the most part I focused on getting 7 pop in my cities and three districts so that as a baseline each city would be worth about 21 points and anything else I could pick up was a bonus.

Didn't quite get to the end of the Tech and Civic trees, but I stand by my assessment in the pre-game thread that missing out on a few techs isn't a massive loss in points. I had maybe 18ish things left to research between the two trees, so that only would have gotten me another 36 points before the repeatable techs.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

5. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Score 548

Build 18, captured 3, gifted 1 in peace deal.

Didn't really get the hang of how to play Mvemba, tried to get some relics from getting apostles killed, which worked to an extent, but lost two when there were no available slots, so missed out.

Left if too late to start my expansion, so score not what it should have been. I didn't start any wars but was twice dow by two civs on the continent. Kumasi kindly destroyed the Russian army, and took out St Petersburg defences, so I felt obliged to take the city. Yerevan was also quite helpful in preventing India from bothering me to much, but unfortunately in the last 10 turns, when it was two late to get any more settlers out to free spaces, I took the city. Probably should have gone for Delhi instead, would have gained a couple of wonders in the process.

Good fun.

Attached Files:

6. caeru71

caeru71 Chieftain

Score 831

Attached Files:

7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Score 3,094

How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled about 80 and captured about 30.
    Mvenbas. Then I realized that they don't count for points. They're certainly negative districts.
    Since you have 250 turns, you can settle all the world while building wonderful cities with 500+prods at the same time. 250 is too much.
    - How did you pump your Score?
    Settle all over the world(even the very polar tundra/snow island areas). And build districts as much as possible. With Valletta and Goddess of harvest I can buy granaries and sewers for newly-built cities to get them grow very quickly.
    At T125 I eliminated all major civs except Rome and Arabia to prevent strong Barbs. When I lighted all the world to make sure no more barb will occur, I eliminated Rome. After T240 I began conquering all city-states.
    Of course. After the city-state elimination my science go from 2,500 down to 900, culture from 5,500 down to 2,100, Gold go from 3,500 per turn down to 1,400. So city-states really make differences.
    Mvenbas don't count for points , terrible.
    When I have used up Kongo city names it began to use American city name, then Brazilian city names... Seems to form in Alphabetical Order of Civ names. As Arabia is in-game so it ignored Arabian city names.

No.
    Score Victory is terrible. Also, Kongo is the worst Civ in Civ6 game, making things more terrible.
    Not sure how whacker does this time. Considering he was only 2,800 pts on Gotm 12 with a better Civ(any other civ is better than Kongo), and lower settler cost, (For example, the 70th settler cost is 1,460 in previous version but 2,150 currently) I shall feel confident?

Builders cost 634H and settlers cost 2,060H in the end, indicating I have built 146 builders and 67 settlers myself. For some of late game chops I used military engineers. (170 for 2 compared with 634 for 6 charges)

Hint: Forests need chopping. I only build Mvenzas on planted trees after Conservation, except for the 1st one of each city to lock the cost.

I checked the log file, it shows that I have 107 cities with 209 districts and 1,011 population in the end.
    Spoiler Building log in the end :

LOC_CITY_NAME_ROME

BUILDING_MILITARY_ACADEMY

LOC_CITY_NAME_JACKSONVILLE

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_KANSAS_CITY

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_RICHMOND

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_PITTSBURGH

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_LAS_VEGAS

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_ALBUQUERQUE

UNIT_SETTLER

LOC_CITY_NAME_MINNEAPOLIS

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_SPARKS

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_NASHVILLE

BUILDING_HANGAR

LOC_CITY_NAME_VILNIUS

UNIT_SETTLER

LOC_CITY_NAME_SAN_JUAN

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_PROVIDENCE

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_SEOUL

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_SPRINGFIELD

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_KUMASI

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_BOISE

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_NAN_MADOL

UNIT_TRADER

LOC_CITY_NAME_CENTRALIA

UNIT_BUILDER

LOC_CITY_NAME_HATTUSA

UNIT_SETTLER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 at 5:25 PM
  8. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

Score 2836

Grand total was 99. I think, all Mbanza xxx + American city names are self-settled. So, a rough estimate would be 70 settled and 30 captured.

Future Tech and Civic (repeatedly)

Very, very wide.

Going wide.

Nope. Every war was quickly over.

In so many ways. Having suzerain status of 10+ city states helps a lot. Yerevan was my Great Zimbabve city.

There is something wrong with Kongo and captured cities with Holy districts:

Spoiler Earning Great Prophet pts :

Spoiler Slots for relics at temples :

It was fun until you could do anything you want on the board.
    In the end, I just lost interest of building new cities + chopping (there is still few empty places on the board).

Maybe next score victory could be shortened. So that we can't research nor build everything.

Attached Files:

9. Greenlami

Greenlami Chieftain

Score 472 points, I maybe have the negative record lol

In my defense, I'm such the builder that I usually refuse to make war unless I truly have to, so winning without conquering anyone is usually my way, unless required XD
    I still managed to win the game though, so I'm happyanyway .

10 setttled, 2 captured in the last 10 turns just to gain a few points more

Whatever could give me money and production to speed up the expansion

Definitely tall, which is why I made so few points.

Building districts & founding cities, plus I gained a lot of great people and managed to have decent science and culture

Only in the last 10 turns, I wasn't expanding anymore so I waited for my friendship with Gandhi to end an conquer a couple of his cities to gain a bunch of extra point (totalli pointless of course).

Very much, I gained a lot of culture and money from them

Not really.

I managed to win, even if very few points, aroun turn 120, so everything after that was just growing cities etc. So maybe 250 is a bit too much at this difficulty like someone said.
    I quite enjoyed it, even if I must admit Kongo's bonuses were not very effective given this scenario.

Attached Files:

10. Katakanja

Katakanja Chieftain

Yeah, I was seeing that too. It looks like they retain any relic slots that a conquered city would have had if the holy site hadn't been demolished. I'm not sure what causes them to start gaining prophet points though.

11. Chips

Chips Chieftain

Final score = 1339

I don't know the exact split, but I ended up with a total of 46 cities. Most of those were captured. By approximately turn 235, I had eliminated all other civs keeping all of their cities. I think captured a few city states before hitting turn 250.

I mostly followed the boosts

Wide with city capturing, but tried to go tall as well by maximizing districts to pump up the score

Kept everyone elses cities

I instigated all wars... I don't think anyone declared war on me.

Yes, before I started conquering them, I was the suz of all city states. Lots of good bonuses.

After I conquered the final civ city, I didn't expect to see the domination video play. I assumed with domination victory off, that would not happen. After seeing that, I assumed I would not see the score victory at turn 250. But I was wrong again. So in a way, I achieved two victories in one game... that was new for me.

Yes. I have always wanted to try for a score victory and this gave me a good reason to go for it. I'm really impressed by some of the scores posted on the forum! Thanks organizers!

Attached Files:

12. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

I just noticed that, if you eliminate all the civs then you will not get any more great persons after you have recruited the ones you are currently working towards.

To pump up your score, keep at least one civ alive until the very last turn.

Eliminating the last civ too early costed me approx. 100 pts.

Katakanja likes this.
  13. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

Score 1073. I am quite happy with that, as previously my record score was about 750. I eliminated Norway early, India and most of Russia much later and then moved on to Rome and Arabia close to the end. Had quite a few cities, did not count. Could have settled probably 10 more in the end to maximize score. Completed future tech and future civic, both only a few turns before the end. Probably I am the only one who does not consider Kongo that bad and Mbanzas so terrible.

Btw I seemed to have some bugs with getting eurekas from scientists, sometimes when I should have got 2 or 3, I got only one (I think I had still open options from those eras).

Attached Files:

14. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Chieftain

After a fun afternoon, I'm finished. A pretty casual run compared to most here, but I had a good time.

Final Score = 651

7 settled, 4 captured

Money, mostly.

Relatively tall compared to most people here :lol: I really find end-to-end conquest and city settling a little tedious.

I spent the last 120 turns at peace, cranking out great people, wonders and districts. Doesn't seem to have done too much for my score.

I conquered Peter pretty quickly, and stole a couple of Gandhi's cities when I saw him marching Varus rowards my border. My last game was a warmonger-heavy one, so I decided to make peace after that and focus on Mvemba's usual Great People and Work spamming.

A little. Was able to be suzerain of nearly all of them with no real competition. I conquered Kumasi early on.

So Mbanzas don't count for score? Boo.

Yes!

Spoiler Turn 250 Screenshot :

Attached Files:

15. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Score: 2.046

Yes! And Thanks for one more game :thumbsup:!!!

Attached Files:

16. Apolex

Apolex Chieftain

Final Score: 998

I settled 11 cities and captured 5. More than half of the 11 settled cities were from captured settlers though.

I went for early dominance through military research and policies.

Mostly wide.

I took over the continent and built cities up with districts as much as possible. I didn't have the dedication or resolve to go take over the other continent, which would have pumped my score greatly. It was just going to be too tedious, not entertaining, and greatly extend the game just to pump the score.

Once I got the Ngao Mbeba unique unit, I easily took over the rest of the continent, simultaneously. Delhi was the longest hold-out, because Gandhi kept a Varu unit fortified there, making it take many turns to finally weaken it enough with crossbows.

City-States were exceptionally helpful this game, because after taking complete control of the continent (which was loaded with city-states), I got the Suzerain bonuses from all of them the rest of the game. I also was the first one to find the 4 island city-states, and got those Suzerain bonuses the whole time too. Combined with some city-state-focused policies, this was very powerful.

I somehow thought that by capturing the city with the holy site where a religion was founded, that I would be able to spread that religion from there. Unfortunately I could not, so after taking over the continent, I could not get any religion established in any of my cities. This wiped out any chance of using Kongo's unique ability of gaining all religious benefits from others, and the free apostles from building districts. Nothing I could really do to deal with that - even after finding the civs on the other continent, they never sent any missionaries.

At first, it was kind of fun to so easily take over the continent, but then it just became a tedious exercise to run out the clock and spend a lot of boring hours trying to maximize the score, which I was not really interested in doing.

Attached Files:

17. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Score 2953

Settled around 80 I think, including many with stolen settlers. Conquered ~15 cities (all remaining city-states at the end, and all other Civ's cities except one).

After conquering other Civs, I prioritized techs that boosted yields (e.g. Industrialization, Steel) and rushed the late-game government (mostly communism, but used democracy at the end to buy great people).

There's no solution but going wide really, and settling almost every inch of the world. After conquering the other Civs, I alternated between settler spam and builder spam (improving and chopping to put districts up).

Settling everywhere and harvesting everything. I harvested all the crab and copper I could get before Big Ben, and ran mostly gold policies incl. colonial taxes. I finished Big Ben ~20 turns before the end, leaving me with 200k gold to buy settlers, builders.

Note that late game builders are much cheaper than settlers (prod. cost increase of 4 gold per copy, instead of 30 for settlers), and provide almost the same score value as long as there's something to chop, if not more. (Settlers produce a new city with 1 pop, but cost 1 pop, so they add 5 to score. Builders with policy and pyramids have 6 charges and almost every late-game chop/harvest adds 1 point to score, either by raising pop by 1, or building 1/3 of a district.) Not to mention that with Goddess of the Harvest, each chop brings faith to buy great people. I also built every wonder since they're cheaper than settlers at the end. The only wonders I built earlier than late game were Pyramids, Petra, Big Ben and Maracana.

For great people, it's not worth dumping late game gold on them unless they're under 1/2 the price of settlers since they only provide around half the value. For my game, that meant that it wasn't worth buying atomic and information era great people with gold until I'd settled everywhere I could.

I conquered most of the other Civs but left Arabia and Aztec with one city by turn 120 or so. Leaving two Civs alive is important to keep the world era for advancing too fast (keeps barbarian low tech, allows recruitment of more early great people).

Yes, with high # of cities most of your science/culture/gold is from city states, not to mention the late-game policies that add 10% sci/culture per city state you're suzerain of.
    I kept all the commercial and scientific alive, along with Nan Madol, M-Daro and Buenos Aires. Conquered them in the last two turns only.

Not really beyond what was mentioned in the initial actions post.

To be honest it was a little tedious towards the end, I only played a few turns a day. I'm glad I did it once but won't play that type of high-score game until the UI streamlines empire management.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM